Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 707709 times)

slappy50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2400 on: December 23, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
Thinking of going 101a. Too slick for indoor parks? Noticeably faster? Let me know, pals. Shalom!

Not a pal, but I will say that 101a F4s are veeeery slick on indoor parks, but one can get used to it. They are crazy fast wheels though. They're really good wheels overall, but indoors, no. IT could work if you can only afford one set of wheels, get them anyway. The contact patch is also good to know, which wheels are you thinking? 
niggling

[/quote]

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2401 on: December 23, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
Thinking of going 101a. Too slick for indoor parks? Noticeably faster? Let me know, pals. Shalom!
101 are big no no for me. Had then twice regretted about it twice. Go for 99
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2402 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »

Depends on the park.  We had an indoor with a wooden bowl that was pretty slick. I liked 99s there.

Current indoor has no bowl, just a nice mini and street area.  Without the pumping through the corners I can manage 101s there absolutely fine.    101s are a good all around wheel.

For reference, I will skate the 101 F4 occasionally at concrete outdoor parks but prefer SPF or STF as they are faster.  I haven't used 99 F4 for years at those parks.

On the actual street my choice would be the 99 F4.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2403 on: December 23, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a pal, but I will say that 101a F4s are veeeery slick on indoor parks, but one can get used to it. They are crazy fast wheels though. They're really good wheels overall, but indoors, no. IT could work if you can only afford one set of wheels, get them anyway. The contact patch is also good to know, which wheels are you thinking?
Radial slims or conical 53 or 54

Seduction

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2404 on: December 23, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunders and 54mm classics.
[close]

Wheelbite alarm.
[close]
I have 55 conicals right now on a thunder RIP
[close]

Not even, been runnin that shit for years, no problems here
How? I got pitched so hard skating some 54mm conical fulls on thunders. They were stock loose and I weigh nothing. Immediately switched back to Ace and Indys

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2405 on: December 23, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunders and 54mm classics.
[close]

Wheelbite alarm.
[close]
I have 55 conicals right now on a thunder RIP
[close]

Not even, been runnin that shit for years, no problems here
[close]
How? I got pitched so hard skating some 54mm conical fulls on thunders. They were stock loose and I weigh nothing. Immediately switched back to Ace and Indys

Agree with getting pitched by the thunders. I like thunders. A lot actually. 53mm is the max for me. I’m not real big, 165 (small by normal human standards, husky for skate). I’m not a super clean skater or anything so there is a fair amount of operator error, but yeah I have a hard time skating bigger wheels with thunders. Has me switching everything up as we speak. I want to push around the crust, trying to skate 56 conical fulls. Will get venture hi’s as soon as I can decide 5.2 v 5.6

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2406 on: December 23, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »

Go 99a. They slide fine in all conditions. Never once have I wanted a harder wheel.  On Skatelite even the 99s can be a little too slick but they’re manageable.  101s would be like ice.

This is coming from someone who also has STF 103s and lives a hard wheel.  99s are plenty.

Diocletian

« Reply #2407 on: December 23, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
No idea how you guys are getting away with F4’s of either durometer at indoors. Those things are way too slick. My 97a Speedlabs have even had a few moments of close calls. I’m still on the hunt for something softer but not too soft.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2408 on: December 23, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
No idea how you guys are getting away with F4’s of either durometer at indoors. Those things are way too slick. My 97a Speedlabs have even had a few moments of close calls. I’m still on the hunt for something softer but not too soft.

I’m running my last set of 101s indoors now and they work out fine. My skill level isn’t exactly phenomenal though. I also have really loose trucks. It’s an unforgiving setup but predictable at the same time with Aces and 101 F4s. Maybe it teaches me to be less sloppy with my shit. Dunno but I really like it.  :)

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2409 on: December 24, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »
Anyone skated Classic Fulls? Skating 56 Conical Fulls, wanting to maybe switch to 56 Grosso Fulls? I skate transition and never skated classics because I assume they don't lock in as good?

Woos

« Reply #2410 on: December 24, 2019, 01:53:24 AM »

You need to ride 99a F4s in the streets first. Then they’re not as slippery.

Brand new ones are pretty sketch on Skatelite transition though.

Wish there was a 95-97a Radial Slim type of wheel. I might try some Slimeballs out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2411 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:39 AM »
I'm keen to try a Radial Slim, anyone comment on how they feel?

I've ridden Lock-Ins, Classics and a non-Spitfire conical, like the conical shape best and Lock-Ins least. Like the wider contact patch the conical gave for slides on ledges.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2412 on: December 24, 2019, 02:42:21 AM »
So I didn’t even need to order them...

My brother hooked it up with some Conical Full 99a 53s and some Ace 44s.

I normally don’t give a fuck about wheel graphics but these look amazing. Killer graphic and the quality of the print is A1.

I just got those same wheels but I’m putting them on thunder hollow light 148s.

I went into the shop with the intention of getting the trucks (called the shop to hold em) and some 52mm classics. The 53mm conical fulls were a bit of a curveball but that’s my favorite shape wheel so I couldn’t pass.

This is the first set of thunders I’ve had since the set I had on my roskopp eyeball when I was like 8 years old. I’m already dreading the wheelbite but I really wanted to switch things up from my usual ace/Indy preference. I am looking forward to trying to learn some new flip tricks though and hoping the relatively light/compact setup will help with that.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2413 on: December 24, 2019, 03:22:01 AM »
Anyone skated Classic Fulls? Skating 56 Conical Fulls, wanting to maybe switch to 56 Grosso Fulls? I skate transition and never skated classics because I assume they don't lock in as good?
I have the Grosso 54s, they lock in fine.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2414 on: December 24, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You need to ride 99a F4s in the streets first. Then they’re not as slippery.

Brand new ones are pretty sketch on Skatelite transition though.

Wish there was a 95-97a Radial Slim type of wheel. I might try some Slimeballs out.

This. My first session with new wheels is always the same parking lot flat session.
The one exception has been the one time I had to get wheels from spot and went to skate bro bowl

Woos

« Reply #2415 on: December 24, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
So I didn’t even need to order them...

My brother hooked it up with some Conical Full 99a 53s and some Ace 44s.

I normally don’t give a fuck about wheel graphics but these look amazing. Killer graphic and the quality of the print is A1.

[close]

I just got those same wheels but I’m putting them on thunder hollow light 148s.

I went into the shop with the intention of getting the trucks (called the shop to hold em) and some 52mm classics. The 53mm conical fulls were a bit of a curveball but that’s my favorite shape wheel so I couldn’t pass.

This is the first set of thunders I’ve had since the set I had on my roskopp eyeball when I was like 8 years old. I’m already dreading the wheelbite but I really wanted to switch things up from my usual ace/Indy preference. I am looking forward to trying to learn some new flip tricks though and hoping the relatively light/compact setup will help with that.

Nah dude you’ll be good. I ride 52mm Radial Slims on 147 Hollow Lights and a pretty mellow Quasi 8.0 and I’m fine.  148s are much higher.  A 53mm wheel is only 0.5mm closer to the deck than 52s.

I did swap my lower medium Bones bushing out for a hard one due to my last deck shape but on this current one I could easily go back to full medium.

You’ll be fine.  This is coming from a guy who loves low trucks on a lot of his setups yet hates wheelbite (bad combo).

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2416 on: January 01, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
Just wanted to see if this was normal for F4...
Randomly noticed this chip tonight and only skated these wheels 2-3 times. Barely for an hour each session. Conical 54mm 99. Pics2 and 3 are shit- tough to focus properly and wheels appear more yellow in pics due to fluorescent overhead light.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2417 on: January 01, 2020, 07:26:44 PM »
yeah that's happened to pairs of mine before. never felt like it was an issue though, usually from skating fucked asphalt.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2418 on: January 01, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
They do loose little chunks but always ride smooth.

PMA

texasplant

« Reply #2419 on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:21 AM »
Happens all the time, only once has it been a problem though.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2420 on: January 02, 2020, 03:29:26 AM »
yeah that's happened to pairs of mine before. never felt like it was an issue though, usually from skating fucked asphalt.
This.
Same thing happened to me with my classic full. I'm living in a place with rough asphalt
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2421 on: January 02, 2020, 05:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have the Grosso 54s, they lock in fine.
I actually really like the classic full. 54mm. They skate really well.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2422 on: January 02, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
They do loose little chunks but always ride smooth.
Happens all the time, only once has it been a problem though.
Expand Quote
[close]
This.
Same thing happened to me with my classic full. I'm living in a place with rough asphalt
Thanks for the replies. Yep definitely is being used on rough asphalt.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2423 on: January 02, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
Just wanted to see if this was normal for F4...
Randomly noticed this chip tonight and only skated these wheels 2-3 times. Barely for an hour each session. Conical 54mm 99. Pics2 and 3 are shit- tough to focus properly and wheels appear more yellow in pics due to fluorescent overhead light.

Definitely had that happen but never been a major issue for me. I think wheels can be more vulnerable/ fragile when they are brand new. I like to bomb a few hills with minimal slides before I really start to skate them. its almost like you have to roughen up the contact patch a bit before they are good to be skated properly. They just feel better after break in also. Way less chance of flatspots with broken in F4s also.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2424 on: January 14, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »
want to try 101s f4s. what size and shape did you guys like? how was it different that 99a?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2425 on: January 15, 2020, 12:25:10 AM »
want to try 101s f4s. what size and shape did you guys like? how was it different that 99a?

Just get the same shape that you prefer in 99a, for me thats radial slims. I don't like 101s, noticeably less forgiving on rougher ground. Slide slightly better and with slightly less effort, but that also means powerslides don't slow you down as much (kinda defeating the whole purpose of doing them) and its a bit easier to slip out. They also slide a bit better on ledges for blunts etc but the tiniest amount of wax will equalize it. I can only see them being better if you really struggle to revert your 180/360 tricks or if you only skate really smooth and non slippery terrain.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2426 on: January 15, 2020, 01:08:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just get the same shape that you prefer in 99a, for me thats radial slims. I don't like 101s, noticeably less forgiving on rougher ground. Slide slightly better and with slightly less effort, but that also means powerslides don't slow you down as much (kinda defeating the whole purpose of doing them) and its a bit easier to slip out. They also slide a bit better on ledges for blunts etc but the tiniest amount of wax will equalize it. I can only see them being better if you really struggle to revert your 180/360 tricks or if you only skate really smooth and non slippery terrain.

i ride radial slims in 99a so i guess its not worth my $36 to try the 101s. might try a different shape completely. conical fulls look interesting for the new york street crust
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

texasplant

« Reply #2427 on: January 15, 2020, 01:40:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i ride radial slims in 99a so i guess its not worth my $36 to try the 101s. might try a different shape completely. conical fulls look interesting for the new york street crust

Definitely recommend conical fulls, even in the smaller sizes, so good on that crusty ground

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2428 on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely recommend conical fulls, even in the smaller sizes, so good on that crusty ground
I currently have a set of 101 conical fulls back home in california, They are like 45mm now but they still slide really well. I've had 101 Radial slims but I don't remember what they felt like. I do recomend hard conicals if you like sliding and slappies. It made them feel better. Did a feeble on a curb with them and slid them out.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2429 on: January 15, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
I hated my 101s, feels too "plasticy", like Bones imo
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.