Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701852 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4710 on: February 04, 2023, 03:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So is pretty much the only difference between radials and conicals the cut on the inside?  Mostly just weight reduction then?  If so what is the appeal of radials?
[close]

More like what's the appeal of conicals? Radials are "half-way" between Classics and Radials. The curve cut allows the board to flip faster (thab conicals), and lock-in to some type of grinds better (smith/feeble, etc.) because you don't have a sharp edge to contend with. Moreover, the straighter part of the Radial cut allows you to lock-in to things like 50-50s better than classics (and more like a conical). Watch that Ben De Gros link post a bit back in this thread on the differences between straight cut (conicals) and rounded (classics) wheels. A radial is right in the middle.
[close]

Oh huh, okay thanks, guess I was just thinking less weight = good lmao

Here is the link to the close up images for the wheel options that others have posted on Slap, which are really good to see all specs and info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3844842;topicseen#msg3844842

As well as the Spitfire profile pics on their site:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

It probably still doesn't show the most important thing, but pretty much the main difference when looking at them in person is Classics and Radials are curved from the bearing seat round the wheel profile, no sharp edges at all on the face of the wheel, whereas the Conical or Conical Full have a sharp edge at the widest point, where the inside wall joins the outer area before it slightly curves to the riding surface.

The Lock Ins might be the best pic that shows this, as they have one side Conical Full, one side flat edge.

Radial profile:

Rounded edges make it way easier to get on and off coping or similar things, but the Conical edge grips more when grinding getting in and out of things, as others have said.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4711 on: February 04, 2023, 07:06:06 PM »

Radials are "half-way" between Classics and Radials.

Wut?

TheLowerBack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #4712 on: February 04, 2023, 08:57:21 PM »
How are the 97's on smooth concrete/parks?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4713 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Radials are "half-way" between Classics and Radials.
[close]

Wut?

Damn mental typo. Thanks for the catch. Radials are halfway between Classics and CONICALS.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4714 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:55 AM »
How are the 97's on smooth concrete/parks?

Slow and sticky. They are best suited for more crusty stuff.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #4715 on: February 05, 2023, 12:33:33 PM »
This might seem like an obvious question, but would any of you say that 101a's slide better than 99a's in the street? What are your experiences?

I probably just have a technique problem, but I could never really hold a power slide well with my f4 99a's, so I'm wondering if I just need a harder wheel.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:43:18 PM by franquietits »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4716 on: February 05, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »
This might seem like an obvious question, but would you any of say that 101a's slide better than 99a's in the street? What are your experiences?

I probably just have a technique problem, but I could never really hold a power slide well with my f4 99a's, so I'm wondering if I just need a harder wheel.

If you can’t power slide on F4 99a, it’s technique. Find some wet pavement, and practice there. Note, small contact patch (classics) will absolutely slide easier than bigger contact patch (conical fulls).

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4717 on: February 05, 2023, 12:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
This might seem like an obvious question, but would you any of say that 101a's slide better than 99a's in the street? What are your experiences?

[close]

If you can’t power slide on F4 99a, it’s technique. Find some wet pavement, and practice there. Note, small contact patch (classics) will absolutely slide easier than bigger contact patch (conical fulls).

true dat, ty. yeah I just probably need to bend my knees more and lean back, it's just when ever I've tried I almost slip out, so I probably need to find a sweet spot.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #4718 on: February 05, 2023, 02:12:13 PM »
This might seem like an obvious question, but would any of you say that 101a's slide better than 99a's in the street? What are your experiences?

Absolutely. I unlocked backside power slides on 101 radial slims (I can FS power sliding duro wheel). But after I had them dialed, it wasn't too hard to take them to 99s. Hills are the best place to learn them.

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #4719 on: February 05, 2023, 04:43:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

true dat, ty. yeah I just probably need to bend my knees more and lean back, it's just when ever I've tried I almost slip out, so I probably need to find a sweet spot.

what’s ur foot placement looking like?

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4720 on: February 05, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

a lot of weight on my toes for bs powerslides. theyre too scary now so i dont do them anymore (dont want roadrash on my stomach no thanks)

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4721 on: February 05, 2023, 10:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Front foot over the front bolts slightly angled, back foot -- not sure, never payed attention probably just pocket. I've seen clips of people pulling them off with their front foot in the middle of the board; so, maybe there is something there. I also think I just don't lift my body up (weightless) enough when I angle into the power slide. Idk, the weather has been shit for awhile, so I haven't been trying. for some reason, I just started thinking about all of this suddenly. I remember seeing the degros trick tip for it and it was really good.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4722 on: February 05, 2023, 10:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely. I unlocked backside power slides on 101 radial slims (I can FS power sliding duro wheel). But after I had them dialed, it wasn't too hard to take them to 99s. Hills are the best place to learn them.

Freak yeah, ty. I've never cared for power slides much, but now I want em. gotta have em.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4723 on: February 06, 2023, 07:31:28 AM »
Has anybody else has an increased issue with f4s chunking out quick? I have a set I just put on last week chunk out on the riding surface. The last set I had for 9 months never even lost a chunk that big the whole time having them. I just skating where I usually skate so it's not like I went to a new rough spot or anything

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #4724 on: February 06, 2023, 10:03:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Freak yeah, ty. I've never cared for power slides much, but now I want em. gotta have em.

Bloody typos.... meant to say Frontside power slides are easy enough on any durometer wheel. But it took 101s to get a feel for backside. Once you know how it feels it is easier to take it to 99s.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -444
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4725 on: February 06, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »
Hey guys,

Want to switch from 99a to 101a but a lot of my spots have bad cracks in the roll-up, large enough that getting pitched is a concern. Will the small loss of rebound significantly affect my ability to ride them out with good weight distribution? Obviously it will be more jarring but will I actually get stuck on things my 99as can handle?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4726 on: February 06, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Want to switch from 99a to 101a but a lot of my spots have bad cracks in the roll-up, large enough that getting pitched is a concern. Will the small loss of rebound significantly affect my ability to ride them out with good weight distribution? Obviously it will be more jarring but will I actually get stuck on things my 99as can handle?

Imho, 101a is only good at smooth, park type settings. They shake your fillings out at the slightest sign of crust. Stick to 99.

IpathCats

« Reply #4727 on: February 07, 2023, 05:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey guys,

[close]

Imho, 101a is only good at smooth, park type settings. They shake your fillings out at the slightest sign of crust. Stick to 99.

I pretty much agree with this. You can make 101 work in the streets if the spots are decent, but if you're worried about shitty ground at all i would just stick with 99 @Sizzle

I Had a little fling with 101s recently and when the ground suited them they were sick, but overall they're just not as good in as many situations.

The vast majority of pros ride the 99s from what i've seen, if that means anything.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #4728 on: February 07, 2023, 06:15:01 AM »
I’ll offer a very slight counter/addendum: 101s initially seem unrideable on anything other than perfect concrete, but in my experience they break in really nicely. The shape of the wheel seems to matter more with the 101s, for me: my 52 conical fulls are great wherever, my 51 classics are much slower on choppy ground.
I currently prefer 101s, but I skate small wheels, and seek out smooth (ish, northwest outdoor non skate specific) parking lots for flatground. So big grain of salt so to speak

IpathCats

« Reply #4729 on: February 07, 2023, 06:59:12 AM »
I’ll offer a very slight counter/addendum: 101s initially seem unrideable on anything other than perfect concrete, but in my experience they break in really nicely. The shape of the wheel seems to matter more with the 101s, for me: my 52 conical fulls are great wherever, my 51 classics are much slower on choppy ground.
I currently prefer 101s, but I skate small wheels, and seek out smooth (ish, northwest outdoor non skate specific) parking lots for flatground. So big grain of salt so to speak

I would agree with this sentiment. They def got more manageable as they broke in. I had mine on when i went to MTL for the glory challenge. Street skating was doable, but kinda rough at certain spots, i think i wouldve preferred 99s overall. but man that vans park felt sooooooooo good on the 101s i will say that.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4730 on: February 07, 2023, 07:23:31 AM »
...The shape of the wheel seems to matter more with the 101s, for me: my 52 conical fulls are great wherever, my 51 classics are much slower on choppy ground.

I'll add some more (obvious) nuance; With 101a, the size of both the wheel, and the contact patch, are more substantive factors. On something a bit more crusty, a 53mm 101a Full Connie is going to ride much "smoother" than a 101a 51mm Classic. Sure, this is also true for 99a/97a/etc., but it plays out a bit differently with 101a, IMHO.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -444
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4731 on: February 08, 2023, 08:10:35 PM »
Don’t want to @ everybody but thanks for the advice. Yeah, definitely sticking with the 99s, I’ve been doing some nostalgia-goggle induced pining for the bones stfs that I started out on but didn’t want to go full Bones guy.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4732 on: February 08, 2023, 10:35:02 PM »
Has anybody else has an increased issue with f4s chunking out quick? I have a set I just put on last week chunk out on the riding surface. The last set I had for 9 months never even lost a chunk that big the whole time having them. I just skating where I usually skate so it's not like I went to a new rough spot or anything
are they colored?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #4733 on: February 09, 2023, 03:11:41 AM »
WHAT the HELL is this?

Listed as radial, but obvs. classic… but the colorway/graphic is conical.
Which drop is this from?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4734 on: February 09, 2023, 05:44:10 AM »
WHAT the HELL is this?

Which drop is this from?

Counterfeits?

IpathCats

« Reply #4735 on: February 09, 2023, 05:46:14 AM »
Expand Quote
WHAT the HELL is this?

Which drop is this from?
[close]

Counterfeits?

Someone please correct me if im wrong, but didn't they used to run this graphic on ALL f4's at first? blue for 99 red for 101? I thought they didnt start doing the swirl graphic on f4 classics for a little while after selling f4s?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4736 on: February 09, 2023, 05:52:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
WHAT the HELL is this?

Which drop is this from?
[close]

Counterfeits?
[close]

Someone please correct me if im wrong, but didn't they used to run this graphic on ALL f4's at first? blue for 99 red for 101? I thought they didnt start doing the swirl graphic on f4 classics for a little while after selling f4s?

Oh, I •do• have a vague memory of that. To OP, I wouldn’t be too concerned about an improper listing (e.g. “radials”). Those kind of goofs happen all the time—the graphic/shape is the far more interesting aspect.

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4737 on: February 09, 2023, 08:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
are they colored?

I've had 4 sets in the last year and 2 of them I had to warranty because they lost a big chunk of the riding surface in 2 weeks or less. The first set I returned was plain but the second was a color wheel

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4738 on: February 09, 2023, 09:54:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
WHAT the HELL is this?

Which drop is this from?
[close]

Counterfeits?
[close]

Over 5 years ago, I had a set of 60mm F4 Classics that had this graphic on them. Dunno if it was specific to the bigger wheels but I when I ordered I expected them to be OG Classic shape as that was the way it was in the Classics lineup. We all hopefully speak Spitfire here but, for the record, I was talking about three different wheels lines just now. Shit does get confusing.

The wheels that CreachTeach posted are almost certainly counterfeit. Number one wheel in skateboarding, number one most counterfeited wheel too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #4739 on: February 09, 2023, 01:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
WHAT the HELL is this?

Which drop is this from?
[close]

Counterfeits?
[close]

[close]
Over 5 years ago, I had a set of 60mm F4 Classics that had this graphic on them. Dunno if it was specific to the bigger wheels but I when I ordered I expected them to be OG Classic shape as that was the way it was in the Classics lineup. We all hopefully speak Spitfire here but, for the record, I was talking about three different wheels lines just now. Shit does get confusing.

The wheels that CreachTeach posted are almost certainly counterfeit. Number one wheel in skateboarding, number one most counterfeited wheel too.

They ought to be legit at that price. If you click the picture, you can see that it’s a screenshot from large European skate shop. I would imagine that they’d only deal directly with DLX.
If I had a skateshop, I’d be very suspicious of anyone else selling me Spitfires.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.