Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 709651 times)

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #6090 on: April 17, 2024, 04:37:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Got myself a set of those spitfire 93a in the conical radial shape.

First impressions:

When comparing spitfires 93 and dragons, the only thing they have in common, is the number printed on the wheels.

The spitfires feel way harder and rattely, almost like a normal wheel. I cannot believe that these wheels are supposed to be 93a.

Good slide and overall feel.

I'd say crusty spots -> dragons/x formula, old parks/medium crust->spitfire 93a
[close]
I thought they only had classics and radials.

Sorry, radial shape

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6091 on: April 17, 2024, 06:27:50 AM »
imo they are only slightly less cruisery than dragons. they still feel like they are absorbing a decent amount of the vibration, but they seem to carry the speed way way better which is what i care more about / seems to be spitfires design philosphy

i have 2 sets of 95a wheels from OJ and the spitfires still feel more cushiony than those do by a long shot. the slide is laughably bad on the OJs in comparison, but those formulas are a lot older and those wheels are probably 1/4 the price. the skinnier tread does a lot better but still have a hard time wanting to ride anything besides spitfires.

Kaezan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #6092 on: April 17, 2024, 07:23:09 AM »
imo they are only slightly less cruisery than dragons. they still feel like they are absorbing a decent amount of the vibration, but they seem to carry the speed way way better which is what i care more about / seems to be spitfires design philosphy

i have 2 sets of 95a wheels from OJ and the spitfires still feel more cushiony than those do by a long shot. the slide is laughably bad on the OJs in comparison, but those formulas are a lot older and those wheels are probably 1/4 the price. the skinnier tread does a lot better but still have a hard time wanting to ride anything besides spitfires.

I agree. I had been riding X Formula 97a for a while before I got my 93a from Spitfire, and going off the same drops, I can feel a noticeable difference in cushion compared to the X97 wheels. The Spitfire 93A is definitely softer.

However, I had the Dragons 93a last year for a few weeks, and I do remember thinking those were softer.... not that it's necessarily a good thing. So far, I like these Spitfires a lot more. I like the noise from them and their feel more than the Dragons. I never liked how quiet the Dragons were.

The formulas are different, so 93a on one company will feel much different on another. I also have a 97a from Spitfire that feels much different than the X97 (X97 feels softer).  It's the same thing with bushings, etc... The durometer numbers are almost arbitrary and company specific, tbh.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #6093 on: April 17, 2024, 07:55:22 AM »
They revert and slide better for me and are as fast as the X99 at my skateparks so I don't care about the bounce.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #6094 on: April 17, 2024, 08:20:16 AM »
One session in and I like the 93 classics on slick masonite. Not much difference between the 93 and 97 that I can tell so far.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #6095 on: April 17, 2024, 11:43:40 AM »

Wish there were a few more slide tricks in this little promo. But Reynolds' ender makes the main point...

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #6096 on: April 17, 2024, 11:54:43 AM »

Wish there were a few more slide tricks in this little promo. But Reynolds' ender makes the main point...

Just saw that on my Youtube feed and wanted to share with the pals. Reynolds and Mariano in one clip?! Hell yeah.
IG: @flowterspace

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #6097 on: April 19, 2024, 03:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wonderful, all the V6 shape take has me thinking I want to try a set in 54mm.

Thanks Slap.
[close]

Hate to add fuel to the fire, but I really really like my x99 56mm V6s. Felt a little sticky at first with the xformula and the wider contact patch coming from V5s, but now I don’t ever want to go back. Plus the aesthetics.
[close]

X99 in V6 are amazing, I picked up the 54mm blk ones and I swear they are harder/louder than white x99s. Pretty much a radial...speaking of radials...just listen to how good they sound. (also when did he bounce from Indy?)

[close]

Not sure if Mason bounced, but DLX is pushing a lot of riders that are not on a DLX truck to ride one. The new T2 supposedly is going to be a different turn (according to my shop owner who has been testing a pair) and sort of an Indy/Ace orientation. I could see Mason being one of the riders they push to switch since most of Real rides Thunders.

What's this about a T2? Are they going to replace the original Thunder design?

I just settled on hollow thunders and I fucking love them. Why would they fuck with it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6098 on: April 19, 2024, 04:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wonderful, all the V6 shape take has me thinking I want to try a set in 54mm.

Thanks Slap.
[close]

Hate to add fuel to the fire, but I really really like my x99 56mm V6s. Felt a little sticky at first with the xformula and the wider contact patch coming from V5s, but now I don’t ever want to go back. Plus the aesthetics.
[close]

X99 in V6 are amazing, I picked up the 54mm blk ones and I swear they are harder/louder than white x99s. Pretty much a radial...speaking of radials...just listen to how good they sound. (also when did he bounce from Indy?)

[close]

Not sure if Mason bounced, but DLX is pushing a lot of riders that are not on a DLX truck to ride one. The new T2 supposedly is going to be a different turn (according to my shop owner who has been testing a pair) and sort of an Indy/Ace orientation. I could see Mason being one of the riders they push to switch since most of Real rides Thunders.
[close]

What's this about a T2? Are they going to replace the original Thunder design?

I just settled on hollow thunders and I fucking love them. Why would they fuck with it.

Because they're listening to their riders?

These links jump back and forth between the spit and thunder thread and have the speculative information you seek:

Spit thread (where we are now)
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg4187555#msg4187555

Thunder thread
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg4187839#msg4187839

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #6099 on: April 19, 2024, 04:16:55 PM »
Why would they fuck with it.

Why? Simple. Because Thunders suck and they are •finally• trying to do something about it. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6100 on: April 19, 2024, 06:43:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why? Simple. Because Thunders suck and they are •finally• trying to do something about it. :)

brutal but true. how many iterations has thunder even gone through? venture's had a few tweaks, obviously indy too, someone drop some knowledge for me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6101 on: April 19, 2024, 07:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

brutal but true. how many iterations has thunder even gone through? venture's had a few tweaks, obviously indy too, someone drop some knowledge for me

"A few tweaks"

The info you seek is here:

THE THUNDER THREAD
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg4122001;topicseen#msg4122001
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 07:32:33 PM by Xen »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6102 on: April 19, 2024, 07:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

"A few tweaks"

The info you seek is here:

THE THUNDER THREAD
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg4122001;topicseen#msg4122001

lol definitely an understatement. thank you as always

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #6103 on: April 19, 2024, 10:03:46 PM »
Almost pulled the trigger on these since my shop has 93 radials for 59e.

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #6104 on: April 20, 2024, 11:23:40 AM »
Waiting for that Conical Full 93

I had a crazy realization yesterday. I set up a Christmas complete a few months ago cuz I was switching from thunders to Indy and my whole board was beat (bearings old, wheels coned, hardware stripping). I started taking apart the board last nite to harvest the trucks for a homie who is getting into skating, and I realized that the conical fulls, which I rode for a long time and loved, were 97s and not 99s like I thought. That explained why my board felt so much rattley when I set up some 99a conical fulls.

Needless to say, looking forward to trying some 93 conical (or even radial) fulls
(Cool Trick GIF)

pops

« Reply #6105 on: April 20, 2024, 11:28:47 AM »
Waiting for that Conical Full 93

I had a crazy realization yesterday. I set up a Christmas complete a few months ago cuz I was switching from thunders to Indy and my whole board was beat (bearings old, wheels coned, hardware stripping). I started taking apart the board last nite to harvest the trucks for a homie who is getting into skating, and I realized that the conical fulls, which I rode for a long time and loved, were 97s and not 99s like I thought. That explained why my board felt so much rattley when I set up some 99a conical fulls.

Needless to say, looking forward to trying some 93 conical (or even radial) fulls

If these come out eventually I would be super stoked. 93 Radial Fulls in 56-60mm would be dreamy.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6106 on: April 20, 2024, 11:29:38 AM »
I want to try the 93a, but I skate exclusively on smooth tennis courts, so don’t think they’ll benefit me 🥲

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #6107 on: April 20, 2024, 11:39:47 AM »

E as in euros? Which shop is it?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6108 on: April 20, 2024, 12:02:36 PM »
I want to try the 93a, but I skate exclusively on smooth tennis courts, so don’t think they’ll benefit me 🥲

They won't in that situation, better stick with harder wheels.

DERBY

• Rep: 255
« Reply #6109 on: April 20, 2024, 12:22:36 PM »
been on the 58mm 93 radials. for some reason theyve been sliding better than any of the last few 99s ive used. mind you they were usually 56mm+ and full shape. the bounce was noticeable but got used to it within minutes

pops

« Reply #6110 on: April 20, 2024, 08:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. MFT Helsinki has them.

https://myfavoritethings.fi/fi/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-f4-93du-radials-58-mm

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #6111 on: April 20, 2024, 09:03:42 PM »
I have conical full samples so they will be coming at some point no doubt.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6112 on: April 20, 2024, 09:12:44 PM »
I have conical full samples so they will be coming at some point no doubt.

It often makes me wonder how many of each are made, then how many shop guys, industry heads or associated others get a set to have a go on, but at least getting the product out for a varied and real testing by a lot of people is the main thing, not just having a few people from within the company test it and say "Yeah that works" then releasing something that might not quite be what the masses want.

Rad that people can post info and comments, videos and whatever on here too so more people can get an idea and get interested, because this might just be the biggest push of a specific DLX product since the original Formula Four back in 2012 - 2013.  Not counting a few other versions / options because they really didn't quite last, as per F1 or Softies or so many other things like Low Pro construction, just to name a few.

* Also guessing by making a few different shapes, they could also see what might perform best too, then going with Classic and Radial being maybe the two main or all rounder type of wheel shapes, especially the bigger Radials, which are quite wide, eg 58 x 38 with 25 mm riding surface.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #6113 on: April 21, 2024, 05:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes. MFT Helsinki has them.

https://myfavoritethings.fi/fi/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-f4-93du-radials-58-mm

Awesome, thanks!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6114 on: April 21, 2024, 06:12:50 AM »
Got the 93 radials and I am in love. Deceptively fast and fun to slide. Perfect for my rainy day cruiser, though I probably won’t use them on my “regular” board.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6115 on: April 21, 2024, 06:37:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, going to stick with my 99s. Honestly my current setup is perfect. I’ve been using it for six months and never have to think about it. I just need to stay offline. Seeing new gear makes me want to try it. Cause skateboarding is so cheap compared to other hobbies/lifestyles. But I need to think of the mental cost. Can’t afford another bout of madness.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #6116 on: April 21, 2024, 02:29:26 PM »
First session on the Classic 52mm 93s. These wheels are great! No noticeable difference in slide from my usual F4 99s. Here's a few slides:
http://youtube.com/shorts/jAR-R5MeweA?si=7xX0d4nfoUlHGybV
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 03:50:26 PM by kneebone »

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #6117 on: April 21, 2024, 04:42:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah, going to stick with my 99s. Honestly my current setup is perfect. I’ve been using it for six months and never have to think about it. I just need to stay offline. Seeing new gear makes me want to try it. Cause skateboarding is so cheap compared to other hobbies/lifestyles. But I need to think of the mental cost. Can’t afford another bout of madness.

How can you have madness when you post that you rarely pop your board?

Dad Board

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6118 on: April 21, 2024, 05:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How can you have madness when you post that you rarely pop your board?

You don’t need to pop your board to be good at skateboarding and tinker with your setup. There are people who primarily just do slappies and fuckin rip.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6119 on: April 21, 2024, 06:25:38 PM »
been on the 58mm 93 radials. for some reason theyve been sliding better than any of the last few 99s ive used. mind you they were usually 56mm+ and full shape. the bounce was noticeable but got used to it within minutes

I feel the same about my 97s but it's been a while so I might just be having normal fun
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)