Author Topic: Designing your own shoe  (Read 43961 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Designing your own shoe
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
You have a better tag than me, thats for sure! Eheh
I can see that you really dig those old eS models too.  :P
[close]

For sure!

Im just learning and its fun

So the first is basically just a rippoff of the k3 with the creager style sole

The second has some muska element in the upper with a totally different sole

I had to get used to drawing the shell

So next up I wanna just freestyle some ideas with maybe a sprinkle of influence from other shoes

There are some shoe templates on the web that can help you get down the right shape of the silhouette down. Then you just have to play with the inside. Doing a quick outline helps always when starting a new side view.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Eric ricks

« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2016, 03:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure!

So next up I wanna just freestyle some ideas with maybe a sprinkle of influence from other shoes

[close]

There are some shoe templates on the web that can help you get down the right shape of the silhouette down. Then you just have to play with the inside. Doing a quick outline helps always when starting a new side view.

Care to share? Message me if ya have to.

Shits fun and kinda therapeutic

Frosty178

• Rep: 6
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure!

[close]

[close]

You say that now. I lost my shit with it yesterday trying to rework it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can see that you really dig those old eS models too.  :P
[close]

For sure!

[close]

[close]

I'll post it here tomorrow if i find some, i'm on my phone now.
I never used those kind of templates actually (i already have my way to start a shoe) but i have a friend that talked about them to me.

Edit: i went to google and searched "shoe template". It appears lots of them... I saw a vans old school one, a nike dunk sb one, a DC manteca one... You just need to choose the type of shoe you want then make the tweaks you want to.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:15:07 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Eric ricks

« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
Thanks dood!

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
Probably the craziest one i ever did, dunno if people will like it but it was fun as hell to do.
What i wrote on my IG: "It's an evolution of the @etniesskateboarding highlight, a underrated shoe IMO but that had some flaws that I tried to avoid in this one. It has a heavy influence of those crazy old runners like the huarache, the disc blaze or the pump fury but with skateability in mind. Its kind of a slip on but has a rubber cage that it gives stability and durability, doesnt bag out too. Suede toe with a screened toe cap. A big hole on the side for breathability and a neoprene inside, thought for wearing sockless. Light, strong, stable and perfect for the summer times."

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »

Interesting shoe. Finda has a bit of a Reebok Furylite vibe too.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM »

Thanks man! Yeah, i had that Pump Fury/Fury Light vibe in mind while doing it. They're really interesting shoes, I love them.

To quote my "things you are stoked on" post:

I think it's closer than ever for you guys to finally see a shoe designed by me in the shelves. It will be a OUS shoe (A rad brazilian footwear company). One of their pro's saw my drawings on instagram and sent me a PM to draw his new pro model. So I did it, we worked together and the design came out great. He sent it for the OUS guys and they loved it, so they told me they are going to work on some samples in the next 1/2 months, and if they work great they will be mass produced. They will pay me for the design and send me a bunch of shoes too. I'm so fucking stoked.

Also, I did a Etnies shoe design recently, and someone tagged Don Brown on it. He came to my insta and liked a bunch of my other stuff, then commented my pic congratulating me and I said in a kidding way if he ever needed a shoe designer to talk with me (i wasnt kidding tho ahah). He told me that he was really impressed with my work and would do it for sure. Pierre (owner of Soletech) also commented saying it was a rad design. I was stoked (A boy can dream).  ;D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
Probably the craziest one i ever did, dunno if people will like it but it was fun as hell to do.
What i wrote on my IG: "It's an evolution of the @etniesskateboarding highlight, a underrated shoe IMO but that had some flaws that I tried to avoid in this one. It has a heavy influence of those crazy old runners like the huarache, the disc blaze or the pump fury but with skateability in mind. Its kind of a slip on but has a rubber cage that it gives stability and durability, doesnt bag out too. Suede toe with a screened toe cap. A big hole on the side for breathability and a neoprene inside, thought for wearing sockless. Light, strong, stable and perfect for the summer times."

I really like the idea of this shoe! It looks great. You've been killing it lately.

I will say I wish you put a mesh, knit, or neoprene material where the whole is around the ankle. I feel like it comes across as more of a chiller without some lightweight breathable, durable material there.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #339 on: June 02, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really like the idea of this shoe! It looks great. You've been killing it lately.

I will say I wish you put a mesh, knit, or neoprene material where the whole is around the ankle. I feel like it comes across as more of a chiller without some lightweight breathable, durable material there.

Thanks dude!! I dont quite understand your idea. My idea was to use a neoprene lining in that camo part and on the inside of that rubber cage where the ankle sits to not rub it hard and create blisters. Then the rest would be suede or nubuck with that mesh parts on the toe and heel for some added ventilation. It could exist some Chiller version of it with a full mesh or knit upper, but this is the skate version.  ;)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #340 on: June 02, 2016, 05:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks dude!! I dont quite understand your idea. My idea was to use a neoprene lining in that camo part and on the inside of that rubber cage where the ankle sits to not rub it hard and create blisters. Then the rest would be suede or nubuck with that mesh parts on the toe and heel for some added ventilation. It could exist some Chiller version of it with a full mesh or knit upper, but this is the skate version.  ;)

I see what you're saying. I like the way you think about design. I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having the hole by the ankle exposed instead of having a mesh behind it so you can't necessarily see through the hole. A full knit upper would be tight. I like the texture it has compared to mesh.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #341 on: June 02, 2016, 06:43:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I see what you're saying. I like the way you think about design. I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having the hole by the ankle exposed instead of having a mesh behind it so you can't necessarily see through the hole. A full knit upper would be tight. I like the texture it has compared to mesh.

Yeah, I know the hole isn't for everybody but I think that's the funny part about it, looks almost like a skate sandal, ahah. A whole knitted sock would be cool too, almost like the presto flyknit. Would be a option yeah!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2016, 03:20:00 AM »
I think it's closer than ever for you guys to finally see a shoe designed by me in the shelves. It will be a OUS shoe (A rad brazilian footwear company). One of their pro's saw my drawings on instagram and sent me a PM to draw his new pro model. So I did it, we worked together and the design came out great. He sent it for the OUS guys and they loved it, so they told me they are going to work on some samples in the next 1/2 months, and if they work great they will be mass produced. They will pay me for the design and send me a bunch of shoes too. I'm so fucking stoked.

Also, I did a Etnies shoe design recently, and someone tagged Don Brown on it. He came to my insta and liked a bunch of my other stuff, then commented my pic congratulating me and I said in a kidding way if he ever needed a shoe designer to talk with me (i wasnt kidding tho ahah). He told me that he was really impressed with my work and would do it for sure. Pierre (owner of Soletech) also commented saying it was a rad design. I was stoked (A boy can dream).  ;D

FUCK YES to all of this! Congrats mate

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2016, 04:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man! Yeah, i had that Pump Fury/Fury Light vibe in mind while doing it. They're really interesting shoes, I love them.

To quote my "things you are stoked on" post:

Expand Quote

[close]

Congratulations! I'll be the first to buy them once they're out. Can you say which pro is it?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2016, 06:02:06 AM »
Thanks guys!! I can say who it is, i just cant show the drawing i guess. It is Roni Carlos. It's a mid top like his old model, kind of a evolution of it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »
Went a little crazy with this one ahah

"Adidas "Push Boost". My last concept, exploring all top tier tech by adidas, but in a skateshoe. It started as a runner inspired on the ultra boost, but i made it skateable. Full suede toe, knitted upper for breathability but protected on the weak spots. Boost foam on the midsole, from back to front (it thins out on the front), caged under a rubber midsole, full impact absorption. A caged upper for superior support and stability. Seamless inside for confort. The front stripes are rubberized and act like a ollie pad, then connect with the medial side stripes with the laces acting like a bridge. This babies would be pricey af but they would perform the best!!"

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o soo fucking good

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #347 on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2016, 07:36:38 PM »
:o :o :o :o :o soo fucking good

Thanks man!!  ;)

SIMPLY, those are fire. All shoe trends into one shoe (socks, toecap, puffy shoe...), you just forgot the runner toe (and maybe a airbag). Lakai, take notes!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #350 on: July 01, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »
Hey guys! Finally did a portfolio with my work. Feel free to check it out!  ;)

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40208589/Miguel-Silva-Footwear-Design-Portfolio-2016
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:26:01 AM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #351 on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »
SKATAN, thats some great work man  :o And the paintings are really good.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #352 on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:13 AM »

Thanks dude!! The feedback I'm having is being great. I hope it opens lot's of opportunities... 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #353 on: July 02, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks dude!! The feedback I'm having is being great. I hope it opens lot's of opportunities... 
Miguel, you're an amazing painter, "Strings" is fantastic. Also, check your DMs.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Miguel, you're an amazing painter, "Strings" is fantastic. Also, check your DMs.

Thanks man!! I need to retouch "Strings" actually. It has some drips of paint due to bad storage at the classroom... nothing too bad tho. I like that one because it was the first one i did in this "language" and it worked great. I'm just more into doing simpler works now...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Such

« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2016, 07:31:45 PM »

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40208589/Miguel-Silva-Footwear-Design-Portfolio-2016

i was never that impressed with your designs (dont get me wrong theyre good, just personal taste) but i gotta say youve got some serious fucking talent when it comes to painting. the last to pieces are great.

ZEBRA

« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i was never that impressed with your designs (dont get me wrong theyre good, just personal taste) but i gotta say youve got some serious fucking talent when it comes to painting. the last to pieces are great.

I'm not very impressed with your spelling

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ahaha I'm a grammar error champ so I cant judge! At least he liked something!

I tried something new today, check this gif:

"The shoe itself is a sporty hightop, with a full lenght bounce midsole for that impact protection. It features a crazylight boost '16 type of collar, then those straps give a supreme lockdown to the foot (project BA's, my ultimate inspiration). Your foot isnt going anywere, trust me! Then a rubber layer on the toe for that endurance. Classic adidas colorway too. Hope you like them!"

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ahaha I'm a grammar error champ so I cant judge! At least he liked something!

I tried something new today, check this gif:

"The shoe itself is a sporty hightop, with a full lenght bounce midsole for that impact protection. It features a crazylight boost '16 type of collar, then those straps give a supreme lockdown to the foot (project BA's, my ultimate inspiration). Your foot isnt going anywere, trust me! Then a rubber layer on the toe for that endurance. Classic adidas colorway too. Hope you like them!"
Actually really stoked on this one.

coneklr

« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
Another great design Sk.A.T.A.N!  Not necessarily my style shoe but a really well thought out shoe!  The only part I think I'd modify a bit is the achilles/collar area ... maybe a little more padded would make it feel better to me aesthetically, but definitely feel like at that height a little dip in the center to help prevent rubbing/blisters on the back of the achilles tendon?