Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191130 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »
Checked out "Dichotomy of Earth and the Human Race." Reminded me of Portraits of Past, but with a bit of early '00s Metalcore influence (The Hope Conspiracy comes to mind), which is pretty expected considering when it came out. Pretty cool, but honestly, I'd probably be into the weirder stuff you mentioned. I'll keep a look out for it online, which is much harder than it once was. Sucks that most of the blogs got gutted.
Speaking of, this one is a fucking goldmine and i'm happy to see it's still going. Cool live/outtake stuff as well. Kind of odd a lot of the newer stuff posted on there is bands I know personally, but if you go back a ways there's some pretty obscure/awesome shit.

http://bloggedquartered.blogspot.com
(thanks for bumping Frank)
Nice, glad you checked it out. Do try and track down a download/ copy of 'Troubled Waters And Fortresses' if you can or maybe give it a burl on youtube. They also did a posthumous e.p called 'The Clouds are Gathering' which I love but yeah, enough about Conation (otherwise I'll just spend all my time in this thread praising them). I actually spent a whole afternoon at work checking out that blog you posted - so much gold in there!!! (nice to see Plutocracy getting some love)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:48:39 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »
our drummer from back then actually went on to become lead vocalist in this metalcore band six reasons to kill that was fairly popular in germany...

haha i saw them twice, and still have their "kiss the demon" and split with Absidia somewhere at my parents place.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
^

ha ha that's cool, i have to admit despite being good friends with the dude for a few years after school we kind of lost touch and i never saw them play. i was really happy for him. he was really shy back then, i could have never imagined that he'd be the vocalist of popular hardcore band. also, i didn't want to hate on ptw fans at all, it was just weird back then. ptw and all those bands were definetely legit, just not my taste, but i actually put nerdy on a tape i made for a girl i knew that was into them. when this whole type of music became popular of course lots of asshats had to take it up and some bands got baited hard into selling out. like how afi was a decent punk band and turned into a pretty shitty hollywood pseudo goth modern rock mtv2 type band. some bands took a cool turn tho. and some nu metal kids probably abandoned their bad tastes in favor of digging deeper into hardcore/punk history for the better.

now if i went into this club headcrash here in hamburg for example they manage to play boysetsfire right after disturbed to follow up with shit like brokencyde, so there's that. i am glad that a band like converge is still going strong and still maintaining a relatively idiot free fanbase despite becoming very popular among fans of loud rock music.

anyone remember the band minus from iceland? they were on victory records and played pretty noisy metallic hardcore. then they released halldor laxness. suddenly the band looked like guns n roses, was into drugs and the music was more rocking. i really liked that record.

jr ewing tried to make an ambitious rock record with their last one but failed imo. at first i remember liking it a lot but it wore off quickly and i never feel the urge to go back to it, i still listen regular to calling in dead and ride paranoia. i feel there's always only few bands that manage to break their respective mold without either becoming less interesting and watered down or straight catering to another crowd.

my favorite record that breaks down the boundaries between post-hardcore/noise/progressive rock is still yank crime by drive like jehu. i think it could be considered a classic in music history itself. bands like metz nowadays try to approach that sound again, but none came close for me so far. they were able to create a paranoid and panicky atmosphere in their music that is really unique to them imo.

sry for the kind of pointless rambling, this thread just brings back a lot of memories. i'm actually not a part of any hardcore scene here anymore at this point, only know a few skaters that share the taste and go to shows with occasionally. i really appreciate this thread and all these stories and how we all share certain records and bands and stories from shows is awesome.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't mind political music to be honest, I've always listened to it though so maybe I'm biased?
It defs has it's place and at the time that los crudos/ spitboy split was untouchable so I'm not going to hate on ebullition.
Spazz just made sense when the "scene" sometimes took itself too seriously and that's why I'll always love them.
Speaking of Spazz, does anyone remember Plutocracy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0GHoDAr8k
Also, isn't Max Ward like a professor now
http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/hist/faculty/node/285084
[close]

Pretty sure I read an interview with him not too long ago talking about being a professor in the northeast. Unless I just imagined all of that. It makes sense because, you know, Scholastic Deth.

[close]
I'm admittedly not into the Spitboy side of that LP (no internal dialogue please, i'm just not fucking into it!), but the Crudos side is among the greatest recordings in the history of Hardcore.
Also, 625 shit's distributed through Ebullition, no need to picks sides.
Plutocracy, though some would call them Grind, aesthetically is a lot more what I personally associate powerviolence with (Excruciating Terror too, though they are definitely a Grind band). I love Spazz, but they lack the scummy, fucked up, mentally anguished quality of some of the other early bands. But fuck genres, right?
Also, if you haven't, listen to this fucking band (also more grind, but still):
Lords of Light - LP [2001]
I like their second LP better but it's not on Youtube.
[close]

couldn't agree more, i personally don't care for the spitboy side too much either. crudos are playing in 10 days and i hope i'll make it to the show.

i might have posted a video in this thread, but needles is another sorrondeguy band that i think is pretty good.

ebullition bands were my shit back in the day aorund 2000. most cool ones were already broken up, i was about 3-4 years too young for that. i can't listen to portraits of past and such too much nowadays. i still like the instrumentation but i can't deal with yelping screamo vocals anymore, except with records by yaphet kotto or fourhundred years maybe... not a ebullition band but i always loved shotmaker. kind of like most ebullition bands but sludgy with those baselines that sound more like shellac or unwound and drums that sound like a bulldozer flattening everything in its way not very fast, but stoicly.

Saw them last Saturday, and despite the lame venue, it was pretty incredible. Nothing compares to seeing them in an indoor soccer arena on the south side of Chicago though. There were like 7 year old kids to couples in their mid-40s there. And all but like 10 people knew every word to every song. I was a minority for the first time in my life and that shit blew my mind. Some of the sweetest guys too, for real. Limp Wrist was always super fun to go see live, but they always played with shitty bands it seems. SJW rant over.
That Needles record on Iron Lung was cool. Booked a show for José's band Kontaminant a few years ago and they were pretty sick.

my favorite record that breaks down the boundaries between post-hardcore/noise/progressive rock is still yank crime by drive like jehu. i think it could be considered a classic in music history itself. bands like metz nowadays try to approach that sound again, but none came close for me so far. they were able to create a paranoid and panicky atmosphere in their music that is really unique to them imo.

Metz does not/will never compare to Drive Like Jehu. I went to one of their shows though and it was actually pretty good, but their records are the audible equivalent to watching paint dry. Yank Crime is one of the crowning achievements of 90s music and the fact it isn't regularly held on par with records like "Loveless," "Bandwagonesque," or "Slanted and Enchanted" has always puzzled me.
Expand Quote
[close]
(thanks for bumping Frank)
Nice, glad you checked it out. Do try and track down a download/ copy of 'Troubled Waters And Fortresses' if you can or maybe give it a burl on youtube. They also did a posthumous e.p called 'The Clouds are Gathering' which I love but yeah, enough about Conation (otherwise I'll just spend all my time in this thread praising them). I actually spent a whole afternoon at work checking out that blog you posted - so much gold in there!!! (nice to see Plutocracy getting some love)
Yeah, I heard it was taken off the net for a while because one of Corrosion of Conformity's old labels sent a cease and desist, despite it all being Animosity/Eye For and Eye era demos and live shit. Fucking lame. But yeah, it's cool they have new stuff like Annihilation Time and Coke Bust on there now. And you best believe i downloaded that No Le$$ discography.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
Never listened to a Needles record, but they were one of my favorite bands to see live in SF when I (and Martin) still lived there. My memory is fuzzy, but I saw them play an incredible show at the Daly City bowling alley, with the line up including (I think?) Caged Animal, Ecoli, and Culture Kids.

Those bands playing in the arcade of a bowling alley on a busy night, with normal families being subjected to the spectacle was kinda surreal.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »
Can you guys recommend any bands? I'm trying expand my taste in music. I've been listening to Turnstile, Rotting Out, & Suburban Scum if that matters at all.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
i've been head over heels in love with angel du$t, their new record and AD ep are fucking golden. probably my pick for album of the year until every time i die's new one drops

Grampa

« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
https://spunknotpunk.bandcamp.com/album/its-not-punk-its-spunk

A friend played this for me this week and I can't stop listening to it. It's so dumb. It's like an entire tape of knuckle-dragging breakdowns.

Apparently some high school kids were playing it through a boombox at the skatepark, and when he asked what it was they said, "It's fucking hardcore punk!"

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
https://spunknotpunk.bandcamp.com/album/its-not-punk-its-spunk

A friend played this for me this week and I can't stop listening to it. It's so dumb. It's like an entire tape of knuckle-dragging breakdowns.

Apparently some high school kids were playing it through a boombox at the skatepark, and when he asked what it was they said, "It's fucking hardcore punk!"

damn I like that quite a bit... reminds me of Beowulf or something off the Welcome To Venice comp.

Grampa

« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2016, 06:31:56 PM »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
A friend and former label/distro guy is unloading a bunch of his records if you guys are interested. Mostly 7-inches. Some Japanese stuff and rare old things.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/buraicore/profile

« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
A friend and former label/distro guy is unloading a bunch of his records if you guys are interested. Mostly 7-inches. Some Japanese stuff and rare old things.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/buraicore/profile
Might cop those Negazione records when I get some cash. Peep this, kids, some good shit in there.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Anyone have a DL link to the new Turnstile EP?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2016, 06:00:06 AM »
Anyone have a DL link to the new Turnstile EP?

You welcome!  ;)
http://uploaded.net/file/669tqeca

I'm really into Heavy Hardcore latelly. Last two albuns that I've been really into are the new Exalt and Knocked Loose.

New Exalt reminds me of a mix between Harm's Way with some Deftones/KoRn vibe. I was really into Nu metal when I was a kid so this sounds perfect to me. Last song of the album is pure Deftone'ish.
Exalt - The Shape You Took Before The Ache (Full Album)

New Knocked Loose is straight up nuts... Like Holy Shit! Insanelly heavy and agressive. People will get hurt in their shows, that's for sure.
Knocked Loose "Oblivions Peak"

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »
Hell Yeah thanks Skatan!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
still don't "get" turnstile
#oldmanproblems

« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
#oldmanproblems
Don't worry, the problem isn't you.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »
Expand Quote
#oldmanproblems
[close]
Don't worry, the problem isn't you.

Grampa

« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
Turnstile is part of what, for me, is entire alternate universe of hardcore. No punk to be found. It trips me out.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
Man, I love Turnstile. My tastes in hardcore have always gravitated toward the punky/grindy stuff over the moshy/heavy stuff, but that last LP awoke something in me. If I can try to explain it to the people who don't "get it" (btw, not blaming or converting, just stating) it's almost like a 90s hardcore nerd's interpretation of a funk band. The simple grooves and the long instrumental breaks and chorus pedal overdose solos just add so much soul to a subgenre that's been beaten into the ground. And they're heavy without being dark, which is a nice departure in my mind.

« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:17 AM »
Man, I love Turnstile. My tastes in hardcore have always gravitated toward the punky/grindy stuff over the moshy/heavy stuff, but that last LP awoke something in me. If I can try to explain it to the people who don't "get it" (btw, not blaming or converting, just stating) it's almost like a 90s hardcore nerd's interpretation of a funk band. The simple grooves and the long instrumental breaks and chorus pedal overdose solos just add so much soul to a subgenre that's been beaten into the ground. And they're heavy without being dark, which is a nice departure in my mind.
To me, it sounds like Shelter meets 311, which on paper looks horrible/hilarious, but honestly, it's not really that bad ("not bad" doesn't equal "good"), leaving little of note for me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:09:10 AM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »

Basically my thoughts about Turnstile... They are funky, heavy and groovy, fun too. They have a cool vibe going on and throw an hell of a show!
I actually never cared about punk, there are just a few bands that I like (and pop punk, that's a guilty pleasure). I was more of a metal kid when younger, the "core" world just came a long time after it. I like my hardcore more on the heavier/groovier side, more metallic riffs too. Fast, Punkish hardcore was never my thing, unless it its on the grind/crust side, that way i can appreciate some stuff.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2016, 07:31:28 AM »
To me, it sounds like Shelter meets 311, which on paper looks horrible/hilarious, but honestly, it's not really that bad

Haha that's pretty accurate and I think that's actually part of what hooked me. They employ so many techniques that make me think  "I feel like I shouldn't like this," and I was just so caught off guard that I did on first listen that I just surrendered.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:16 PM »
To me, it sounds like Shelter meets 311 having a foursome with RHCP and living colour

Grind King Rims

« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
I swear I never heard about Brainbombs before a year or two ago, and now I constantly hear bands being compared to Brainbombs. They're pretty tight though.

Brainbombs lipstick on my dick

Also, twin stumps are pretty cool.
twin stumps - landlord

Grind King Rims

« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »
Heading over to London to see Violent Reaction's last show, with the Flex, Waste Management, Insist, Murder, Arms Race, Higher Power and Rupture.

« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
Heading over to London to see Violent Reaction's last show, with the Flex, Waste Management, Insist, Murder, Arms Race, Higher Power and Rupture.
Holy shit, Rupture's still around?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Holy shit, Rupture's still around?
I think it must be a different Rupture, it's certainly not the Australian one anyway.

Grampa

« Reply #298 on: October 31, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
I swear I never heard about Brainbombs before a year or two ago, and now I constantly hear bands being compared to Brainbombs. They're pretty tight though.

twin stumps - landlord

Never heard of Twin Stumps before now, but it sounds like Wolf Eyes with a drum kit. Speaking of which, Wolf Eyes put on the HEAVIEST show I've seen in my life 12-13 years ago. Felt like my heart was going to explode. Wish they'd get out more.

In regards to Brainbombs, Obey is the "definitive" Brainbombs album, but Fucking Mess is probably my favorite:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7TVpAsu9hU

Grind King Rims

« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote

twin stumps - landlord

[close]

Never heard of Twin Stumps before now, but it sounds like Wolf Eyes with a drum kit. Speaking of which, Wolf Eyes put on the HEAVIEST show I've seen in my life 12-13 years ago. Felt like my heart was going to explode. Wish they'd get out more.

In regards to Brainbombs, Obey is the "definitive" Brainbombs album, but Fucking Mess is probably my favorite:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7TVpAsu9hU

Just listened to this record, very cool!
I'll have to give a listen to Wolf Eyes in a while so!
Noise is essential.