Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191194 times)

booty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2016, 09:55:29 PM »

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Lock music wise remind me of OG Cleveland band Confront

[close]
Holy shit. There's a name I haven't seen in a while. The fattest band in Cleveland until One Life Crew came around.

Truth

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2016, 08:00:43 AM »
wouldn't call it hardcore at all but I don't think there's a punk thread but

Wire is one of my all time favorite bands. Their first three albums are full of fuggin jams and their sound evolved ever so tastefully  ;D

Wire - Pink Flag (Full Album)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »
I've never so much as heard of Wire before, but I can dig it, baby.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Looking for really venomous, angry, misanthropic music like SQRM, any suggestions?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
I've never so much as heard of Wire before, but I can dig it, baby.

hell yeeee believe me that album has so many hits. just keep listening

as far as stuff like sqrm, try this. way better imo and more gross sounding. this is a hidden socal gem, one of the greats. francis harold and the holograms
Francis Harold & The Holograms - White Bull + Chinese Head + My Hell

also
rorschach came to mind?
rorschach - protestant lp

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »
Looking for really venomous, angry, misanthropic music like SQRM, any suggestions?
I'm sure someone has mentioned Drunkdriver in this thread. I had never heard SQRM before but upon listening, and I immediately thought "This band is on Youth Attack" and it turns out I was right, so I'd check out other shit on that label (Raw Nerve comes to mind, though they're pretty popular and you've most likely heard them. Cult Ritual too).

You should listen to "Protestant" just because it's one of the greatest albums of the 90s.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »

Hoax probably fits the bill, as does Total Abuse. Brainbombs are about as misanthropic as it gets, but aren't really hardcore. For older stuff I would say No Trend and Drunks With Guns, probably even Flipper?

as far as stuff like sqrm, try this. way better imo and more gross sounding. this is a hidden socal gem, one of the greats. francis harold and the holograms

Yeah that band was pretty awesome. I think they were from Bakersfield(?), so it makes sense they never really got the attention they deserved.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm sure someone has mentioned Drunkdriver in this thread. I had never heard SQRM before but upon listening, and I immediately thought "This band is on Youth Attack" and it turns out I was right, so I'd check out other shit on that label (Raw Nerve comes to mind, though they're pretty popular and you've most likely heard them. Cult Ritual too).

You should listen to "Protestant" just because it's one of the greatest albums of the 90s.

These are some of my favorite bands, my good man, you're not wrong! But I'm unfamiliar with Protestant, who's that by?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hoax probably fits the bill, as does Total Abuse. Brainbombs are about as misanthropic as it gets, but aren't really hardcore. For older stuff I would say No Trend and Drunks With Guns, probably even Flipper?

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that band was pretty awesome. I think they were from Bakersfield(?), so it makes sense they never really got the attention they deserved.

I'd have known Hoax, TA and brainbombs, but not the others, thanks!

« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These are some of my favorite bands, my good man, you're not wrong! But I'm unfamiliar with Protestant, who's that by?
Rorschach. Get everything they've ever released.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #341 on: December 11, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd have known Hoax, TA and brainbombs, but not the others, thanks!

Have to admit I've never heard SQRM, but based on the suggestions.. Some other bands of that ilk are Blight (awesome side project of Tesco Vee), Frantix, New Flesh, Bobby Soxx (my favorite punk 7" of all time) and Stickmen with Rayguns.

Also if you haven't checked out Rusted Shut you absolutely have to, blast Jesus Christ Inca at top volume.

For full blown misanthropy you can't get better than early/mid Butthole Surfers, especially Locust Abortion Technician.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
curious to see some opinions on this album, Canadian band, Withdrawal.

https://escapistrecords.bandcamp.com/album/never

Grind King Rims

« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »

Not at all my kind of hardcore, so I can't judge. Are you in this band? What do you think of it?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »

Their split with Young and In the Way was on heavy rotation for a while. Didn't even know they had a new album. Liking it so far.

You should check out this band New Lows if you haven't already. Specifically this track "anguish".

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Their split with Young and In the Way was on heavy rotation for a while. Didn't even know they had a new album. Liking it so far.

You should check out this band New Lows if you haven't already. Specifically this track "anguish".

Yeah that split was very good, I haven't checked out New lows, will have to do so later today.
Expand Quote

[close]

Not at all my kind of hardcore, so I can't judge. Are you in this band? What do you think of it?

Makes sense, not in the band but know some of the members. Their from my city so a lot of people hear that listen to hardcore like them a lot so wanted some outside opinion. I like a good amount of their albums, need to listen to this album more before I can put a solid opinion on it

booty

« Reply #346 on: December 13, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
Rorschach is probably the quintessential "slept on" hardcore band from the 90s. I realize its not "lost" or forgotten but I've been heavily involved in Hardcore since then and never see Rorschach shirts at shows, and most importantly i dont hear many bands influenced by Rorschach. Pavlovs Dog has one of the hardest intro riffs of all time imo.

Speaking of Raw Nerve, I just spent the last few days sleeping on the RN singer Ralphs floor in Chicago. Not sure if any of you know about his label Not Normal Tapes, but I feel like everyone should. His newer band, The Bug, are good friends of mine and incredible. More spazz out noisy hardcore than what Raw Nerve was but worth everyone's attention.

SQRM - Freak is one of the meanest songs recorded

Grind King Rims

« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2016, 01:43:56 AM »
The bug were posted a few pages ago. Top notch stuff.

booty

« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »
i dont know why i said Rorschach "Pavlovs Dog" was the hardest intro. I meant "Someone".

this is a little over a year over but I still jam it regularly enough. great live, not sure how much longer 86 Gemini is gonna be a thing though.
https://86gemini.bandcamp.com/album/actualize-2015-demo

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #349 on: December 22, 2016, 04:26:11 AM »
Rorschach is probably the quintessential "slept on" hardcore band from the 90s. I realize its not "lost" or forgotten but I've been heavily involved in Hardcore since then and never see Rorschach shirts at shows, and most importantly i dont hear many bands influenced by Rorschach. Pavlovs Dog has one of the hardest intro riffs of all time imo.

Speaking of Raw Nerve, I just spent the last few days sleeping on the RN singer Ralphs floor in Chicago. Not sure if any of you know about his label Not Normal Tapes, but I feel like everyone should. His newer band, The Bug, are good friends of mine and incredible. More spazz out noisy hardcore than what Raw Nerve was but worth everyone's attention.

SQRM - Freak is one of the meanest songs recorded

I always liked the intro drums on "in the year of our lord"....

These bands may be a little on the heavier side, but...

Bogrot
https://bogrot.bandcamp.com/album/bog-rot-disrotted-vinyl-split

Blind to faith. You can hear the Ringworm influence big time.  (No idea how to embed via iPhone sorry bros)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjsp2WADw-8
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #350 on: December 25, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
how have we not talked about this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5S29Z0-og

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #351 on: December 26, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »

Tales Of Terror should've been heavily featured  :-\. C'mon Grosso.

booty

« Reply #352 on: December 26, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
Big Boys and JFA are still to this day two of my favorite bands. ever. Also being exposed to Septic Death via skateboarding and just Pushead's curation of hardcore shaped my tastes for my entire life. They managed to omit Pus Zone from the convo. C'mon Grosso.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: December 27, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tales Of Terror should've been heavily featured  :-\. C'mon Grosso.

Damn you Tales of Terror... yet another record I can never seem to get my hands on.

That's got to be my favorite episode of Letters so far... JFA's 'Blatant Localism' and 'Valley of the Yakes' are definitely in my top 10 hardcore records ever.

I could never get into the Big Boys... a couple of their early songs are cool and I definitely respect them, but just not my cup o'tea.  Seems like they would've been a blast live, though.  The Dicks were far better IMHO.  

Those first few Skate Rock tapes are pretty great all the way through.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:31:27 AM by bea! »

booty

« Reply #354 on: December 27, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn you Tales of Terror... yet another record I can never seem to get my hands on.

That's got to be my favorite episode of Letters so far... JFA's 'Blatant Localism' and 'Valley of the Yakes' are definitely in my top 10 hardcore records ever.

I could never get into the Big Boys... a couple of their early songs are cool and I definitely respect them, but just not my cup o'tea.  Seems like they would've been a blast live, though.  The Dicks were far better IMHO.  

some people just cant get into the Big Boys. They always put me in a good mood. My newest band is total Big Boys/Minutemen worship with a healthy dose of early to mid 90s skateboarding and hip hop influence (mostly aesthetically). Catch is we use drum machines. I'll post it up in here once we finally drop the cassingle in the next few weeks.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #355 on: December 28, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
https://alarms.bandcamp.com/

Some local (Sacramento area) homies, the new album is in the running for my favorite record this year.

It's rad to see people talking about Rorschach, I was at their first "last" show in a basement in Kent Ohio, the drummer set his kit up backwards and played with his back to the audience, there was something like 20 people there. 

« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
https://alarms.bandcamp.com/

Some local (Sacramento area) homies, the new album is in the running for my favorite record this year.

It's rad to see people talking about Rorschach, I was at their first "last" show in a basement in Kent Ohio, the drummer set his kit up backwards and played with his back to the audience, there was something like 20 people there.  
They seem to be one of few '90s bands that every decent portions of every "sect" of the Hardcore scene loves and rightfully so. Grind/Powerviolence, Metalcore, SxE revival shit, "Screamo," proto SJW-core etc., you'll find a bunch of fans in every scene. Especially in recent times. Thanks tumblr or however the fuck kids hear of bands these days.
The one thing recorded in relation to them I don't absolutely adore is this recording from WNYU of Charles with Sam and Adam from Born Against arguing with Steve from Agnostic Front and Lou and Pete from Sick of it All. In hindsight, their perspective is pretty ridiculous (especially when considering the state of music nowadays). Rorschach, Born Against, and Sick of It All are all among my favorite bands ever, so when I heard first heard it it was a bit disheartening (Sam and Adam sound like total cocks, in my opinion).
SICK OF IT ALL BORN AGAINST DEBATE ON WNYU
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:53:52 AM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #357 on: December 31, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
I've seen some interviews with Sam McPheeters where he's addressed his points in the SOIA debate as kind of ridiculous and dismisses a lot of Born Against's general contrarian attitude. I love Born Against as a band and as lyricists for taking a sidestep from the traditional tough guy stuff, and I can't help but think he seems regretful of the band in general for stuff like the debate and it's kind of a bummer.

It reminds me of Against Me! where Laura Jane Grace seems dismissive of former anarchist politics as a result of bad experiences in the punk scene. Can't you just lean in radical directions with a practical approach instead of taking absurd absolutist stances on everything?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #358 on: December 31, 2016, 12:04:28 PM »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: December 31, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

some people just cant get into the Big Boys. They always put me in a good mood. My newest band is total Big Boys/Minutemen worship with a healthy dose of early to mid 90s skateboarding and hip hop influence (mostly aesthetically). Catch is we use drum machines. I'll post it up in here once we finally drop the cassingle in the next few weeks.

yes please post it up!  sounds like it's rad.

I should possibly revisit the Big Boys.. i used to never like the Minutemen but over the last few years have become a huge fan. 

Big Boys and JFA are still to this day two of my favorite bands. ever. Also being exposed to Septic Death via skateboarding and just Pushead's curation of hardcore shaped my tastes for my entire life. They managed to omit Pus Zone from the convo. C'mon Grosso.

always good for a reference: http://www.pusfan.com/pusz.htm