Poll

final

lurkville
politic
heavy
isle
northern company

Author Topic: Slap's Board Buyer Club: VOTE OR DON'T  (Read 45647 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Slap's Board Buyer Club: Scumco and Sons Jan 4th to...
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2014, 04:42:30 AM »
^ :o
Organika should be the next.
I'd back that. Especially the new Lotti graphics.

Chris

• Rep: -15
  • bouncin' checks
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
so is this a quarterly thing now? monthly during the spring and summer?

i broke my scumco last week, and have moved on to northern co (which so far, i hate). the scumco board was about as good as it gets, except for the graphic if that matters. but it felt great, never felt dead, and lasted a while. i'm down for any company that uses pennswood.

and i'm with art, i wouldn't be too cool with hookups, or organika.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
so is this a quarterly thing now? monthly during the spring and summer?

i broke my scumco last week, and have moved on to northern co (which so far, i hate). the scumco board was about as good as it gets, except for the graphic if that matters. but it felt great, never felt dead, and lasted a while. i'm down for any company that uses pennswood.

and i'm with art, i wouldn't be too cool with hookups, or organika.

Ya i think its just a good idea to push back deadlines a bit until it gets warmer out and then we can make it a bi monthly or monthly thing.

I like jeremy klein but im not into hookups either. I wouldnt be against organika especially if josh matthews has a board out by the time the next round starts but i think i would be most psyched if fancy lad or hopps wins.

dillanharp

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
The thing about Fancy Lad is where can you get them? Trying a small company, yea I get it, but more importantly you should support your local shop. I'd guess nearly all of the Scumco boards were purchased online right? I can walk in to my shop and pick up an Organika and sometimes a hook-ups.  I don't even know what the Northern Co is.

shitset3000

• Rep: 3
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Just a thought but would you guys want to set a limit for these things? For example once 20 boards from the featured company are bought move onto the next one?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Just a thought but would you guys want to set a limit for these things? For example once 20 boards from the featured company are bought move onto the next one?

why would we do that?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
The thing about Fancy Lad is where can you get them? Trying a small company, yea I get it, but more importantly you should support your local shop. I'd guess nearly all of the Scumco boards were purchased online right? I can walk in to my shop and pick up an Organika and sometimes a hook-ups.  I don't even know what the Northern Co is.

dudes got a point.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dudes got a point.

buy direct from the company (I bought direct from Scum...also, dont have a local shop within an hour's drive)... or better yet (for you and the brands chosen) ask your local to order from the company, almost every shop will do direct orders for customers

or just dont participate on months when its a company you cant get at your local, or a company you dont want to support. 
hardly art, hardly starving

dillanharp

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
I won't buy off the internet, even straight from a company. I know shops will direct order sometimes, but I'm not going to ask to order me some shit I can't stand on.  Tangar and I had to go to San Francisco to get his Scumco, which isn't that bad.  He stoodd on the different shapes and concaves to pick.  That's how I pick a board, figured most did too.
I was under the assumption that the purpose was to try brands and possibly dispell or reinforce some stereotypes certain companies may carry, but it seems nobody is willing to do that.  Would you ride a Deathwish board? It seems this is just going to turn in to a "Slap fanboy buyers club," and if that's the case why even have the thread, since people on here jock these companies anyway?

Edit! Damn Art, why'd you kook me, delete your post and dip? I was out searching the net for a snarky meme to reply with.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:44:57 PM by Nallid »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
I won't buy off the internet, even straight from a company. I know shops will direct order sometimes, but I'm not going to ask to order me some shit I can't stand on.  Tangar and I had to go to San Francisco to get his Scumco, which isn't that bad.  He stoodd on the different shapes and concaves to pick.  That's how I pick a board, figured most did too.
I was under the assumption that the purpose was to try brands and possibly dispell or reinforce some stereotypes certain companies may carry, but it seems nobody is willing to do that.  Would you ride a Deathwish board? It seems this is just going to turn in to a "Slap fanboy buyers club," and if that's the case why even have the thread, since people on here jock these companies anyway?

Edit! Damn Art, why'd you kook me, delete your post and dip? I was out searching the net for a snarky meme to reply with.

dood.  no kooking occurred by my hand.  scout's honor.  I was gonna quote myself saying just dont participate on months when its a company you cant get at your local, or a company you dont want to support...but figured I already said it.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »

It's hard to tell the difference between the nose and tail as far as steepness and size. and that's just standing on it in the living room. I like it. I'm gonna go for a cruise in the parking lot before we dip to my ladies brothers.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
p.s. Nallid

dillanharp

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »

BRO

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
Killing Floor would be a good one.  Can by direct, or from a shop.  Pretty comparable to the Scumco, as far as smaller brands go.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
p.s. Nallid

[close]

Sorry...

zooey breaks my heart every time. got damn.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
I never bought boards before without stepping on them in person too.

For these smaller brands, it could do a lot of good for them to just ask your shop to carry them. Most of the orders I get from shops come from someone coming in and asking about Heavy. So not only would the Club do a lot of good with getting orders from here, but getting shop orders would help them a ton too.

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
Well it's the 3 straight week that all the scum boards got bought before Friday at the shop. Hopefully Monday the shop will have another batch of boards in to pick from

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
I'll definitely be picking up a Cap'n Cruiser in the next month or so, looks too fun to pass up.
My paypal deposit finally cleared today and I ordered one (8 7/8). Can't wait!
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
Interim Update

Been skating my Land Surveyor deck for over a month now...albeit only once a week and at an indoor park mainly skating mini ramps and wallrides...but it still feels brand new.   In fact, one of the best shapes I've skated in recent memory.  I would not be sad not to participate in the next round of the SBBC if it means this deck is still shreddable.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Interim Update

Been skating my Land Surveyor deck for over a month now...albeit only once a week and at an indoor park mainly skating mini ramps and wallrides...but it still feels brand new.   In fact, one of the best shapes I've skated in recent memory.  I would not be sad not to participate in the next round of the SBBC if it means this deck is still shreddable.

sick ive been waiting for a post like this

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »
What would you guys think if in the future we did two board brands instead of one. A big name board brand and a small name company and then we compared the two like for example we did a baker and Western edition round then the people who wanted to buy one could come on here and talk about what they thought and compare it too the people who bought the other? 

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2014, 05:53:51 AM »
What would you guys think if in the future we did two board brands instead of one. A big name board brand and a small name company and then we compared the two like for example we did a baker and Western edition round then the people who wanted to buy one could come on here and talk about what they thought and compare it too the people who bought the other? 

im down.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
Sure, but I don't think anyone on here wants to buy a Baker board.

shark tits

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:49 AM »
i think the point of it is to help out the little companies. if not it should be.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2014, 06:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i think the point of it is to help out the little companies. if not it should be.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
I was just thinking that a lot of my friends are afraid to buy anything other than dlx because they think anything else is inferior so i thought it would be beneficial to smaller brands to show that there are smaller board companies putting out just as good boards if not better ones than the bigger name companies. If you guys want to stick with the way things are that is more than fine with me, i was just daydreaming about it while i was having a couple beers last night and thought i would present it to the thread.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
Well the point of the thread is for everyone to buy a board from a small company for a month or so, showcase it, talk about it etc. To get some shine on the little guy. DLX and other big name shit has plenty of shine. Let this be about the little guy.

dillanharp

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »
Well the point of the thread is for everyone to buy a board from a small company for a month or so, showcase it, talk about it etc. To get some shine on the little guy. DLX and other big name shit has plenty of shine. Let this be about the little guy.
Nobody wants those bicycle boards dude.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nobody wants those bicycle boards dude.

The ones I've made were just for wall hangers. I'm not in here promoting myself so why bring it up?