Author Topic: Josh Kalis Jenkem Interview  (Read 16899 times)

215Phaggot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Josh Kalis Jenkem Interview
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:07:01 AM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/01/06/the-josh-kalis-interview/

Lotta shit I never knew in here. Seems so weird how Kalis and Dill seem to have beef, but Kalis still respects his skating. BTW Kalis is the definitely the dopest.

nigga_please

• Rep: -31
Re: Josh Kalis Jenkem Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:35:17 AM »
Iconic!

modernmachine

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:45:33 AM »
very down river

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:48:50 AM »
Never been a fan of Ave and Dill, and this just made me not like them more. They seem like the biggest pieces of shit. I really hope the Workshop can rebuild.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »
Good shit right there.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:27 AM »
One of the best and most genuine skateboarders EVER! Man that was a great interview.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »
Wow. That was one of the best interviews I've read in a long time. Everyone likes to use 'keep it real' as a catchphrase these days without actually meaning it, but that was a a very real and gritty look into what's really going on in skateboarding. Thank you Kalis for answering those questions so thoughtfully. And the answer about the energy drink sponsorship is so damn genuine and honest.

Jenkem flat out killed it on that one.

modernmachine

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
Never been a fan of Ave and Dill, and this just made me not like them more. They seem like the biggest pieces of shit. I really hope the Workshop can rebuild.
agreed

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
Good interview.

Kalis is a real skater. In the 90's sense.

Funny how Dill was running his yap about riding for "The Workshop," yet Kalis still cares more about Alien even after being pushed aside.

Mortal Kombat sucked compared to SF2 though, why were you betting on that bullshit? (If MK2, fair enough)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:22:51 AM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »
Truth bombs.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
Could someone go more in depth with what happened with Dill/AVE and Mikey?
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
dudes had his finger on the pulse for years and loves it so much that he comes on the boards to shoot the shit in his downtime. a true skaterat that I have nothing but respect for

modernmachine

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
I know dylan got berra kicked off alien,but why did ave and dill get mikey kicked off?

215Phaggot

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
I know dylan got berra kicked off alien,but why did ave and dill get mikey kicked off?

IDK I could be wrong but I thought it was because of all the street league involvement, and DC sponsorship. I mean Dill called Kalis upriver when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
I feel like new Kalis interviews pop up once a month.  And new Kalis footage once every couple years.

micky682

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:38 AM »
Jenkem should just handle all skater interviews from now on.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »
"Another little X factor in there too, is that some people let too much out at once. A lot of people don?t know how to do the videopart game. Don?t kill yourself for one fucking video part, there?s a lot of years to come, you know what I?m saying? If you don?t spread that shit out you will be chasing parts. Instead of skating crazier you should be skating wiser and be more strategic in the way you put your own tricks out. If you blow your load too soon, then your video parts start to go downhill after you?ve only been in the game for 4 years. There has been some heavy ass hitters that come out, and within four years they have three knee surgeries, and then they are gone. Some dudes? parts were so buck, but then they don?t have another part for five fucking years. To me, that?s not wise.

THIS^^^^.  Kalis rules. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
I commend him for that, his DGK part was one of my faves in the video.. but that's one part in the past what, 7 years?  I'm just saying his interviews have gotten little repetitive and he does LOTS of them.  

If he's the 100% skate rat everyone says he is, why does he constantly have to be doing interviews, and where's the skate footage?  It's just obvious to me that he's trying to stretch this pro skater career out as long as possible.

But I don't blame him for not wanting to be like Creager aka the old pro who isn't getting paid.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:05:19 AM by Jumping Beans »

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »
I thought Mikey Taylor left AWS after Dill and Ave.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
need a new board, hope they have a kalis. my last one was sick.

Mortal Kombat sucked compared to SF2 though, why were you betting on that bullshit? (If MK2, fair enough)

no shit. we have an emulator at my work in the break room with all the old arcade games on it and SF is in heavy rotation but i've never seen
anyone mess with mk. is that game even fair? always thought it was a button masher.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Kalis remains to be the realest dude out there

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
kalis is the last of a dying breed

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
even though he's not actually from here, I will always see Kalis as a Philly skateboarder, and my favorite skater ever. best dude ever

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
One of the best and most genuine skateboarders EVER! Man that was a great interview.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »

That is what I thought too. I don't remember Mikey leaving before them. Plus did P-Rod leave before Dill and Ave? Cause when Mikey left, we all thought it was to go to P-Rod's company.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

215Phaggot

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
I commend him for that, his DGK part was one of my faves in the video.. but that's one part in the past what, 7 years?  I'm just saying his interviews have gotten little repetitive and he does LOTS of them.  

If he's the 100% skate rat everyone says he is, why does he constantly have to be doing interviews, and where's the skate footage?  It's just obvious to me that he's trying to stretch this pro skater career out as long as possible.

But I don't blame him for not wanting to be like Creager aka the old pro who isn't getting paid.

2013- DGK Video (Parental Advisory had followup video for east coast, west coast, and international tour videos he had footage in as well as the fresh to death tour)
2011- DGK Playground
2009- Alien Workshop Mindfield
2006- Kalis in Mono
2006 - Uprise chicagos finest
2003- DC Video
2000- Photosynthesis

Pretty solid collection of work, with parts coming out no more than 3 years apart. 7 years is a bit of a stretch my friend.

BRO

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »
I still have faith in the Sovereign Sect.  I'd love to see  Jordan Trahan and Dolan Stearns on as ams. 

DGKALIS

• Rep: 534
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
Just to make something clear..... I didn't mean that Ave and Dill were fucked up for quitting.
The situation was fucked up. After all the bullshit I went through after I quit... And all the bullshit the Workshop was going through... I thought it was fucked that they left.
I truly wish Ave and Dill the best with their new company. In no way was I trying to diss those dudes. Ave is one of my favorite skaters... I have my opinion on what I see that happened at Workshop... But the last thing I would want is for people to take my voice and assume in talking shit.
That's not my intention.

If it reads that way.... My apologies to Ave and Dill.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
I feel like this part needs extra shine:

"If you support the industry now, it will be there if and when you become pro. If you don't support it now, that shit might be gone by the time you are that age."

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »
Pro boards aren't selling anymore because there's 200 pros now