Author Topic: Josh Kalis Jenkem Interview  (Read 16897 times)

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 130
Re: Josh Kalis Jenkem Interview
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
i've always loved the workshop's art design as a whole but the few turds they've put out over the years are a result of them being too busy and (in recent years) too distinctly photoshop/digital. i think a one-off series of minimalist boards (that are aesthetically pleasing) is a breath of fresh air rather than rape of their ethos. is the option of five more of these really necessary at this juncture?
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

steam vent

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
uhhhh....I can't be the only one who thinks those boards are corny and unoriginal. rock a sweet tie dye with those nu age universe decks
[close]

thank you.  i think those are fucking awful.  if i saw those in a shop, I would have NO idea that it's an Alien board, aside from the pro's name on it.  It just goes to show how far Alien has fallen.  Alien graphics were ALWAYS so definable.  You KNEW which boards were Workshop boards.  These look like a collab with Rip-n-Dip or something (i hate that company name so I use them as an example). 

There is ZERO artistic influence on those.  Straight up stock space photos with text and a logo.  That's what bugs me.  I always thought of Alien as having good ART/Graphics and the PRIDED themselves on that.  Not just throwing something trendy on a board and selling it. 
Fair point tbh, nothing in the way of original art and if that's part of why you buy certain companies this doesn't really deliver. Space looks super cool though so I like it, but I also don't really care for AWS one way or the other, but if I were a hardcore AWS dude I would probably would expect more. 

Irrelevant

• Rep: 5
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
Sweet graphics

steam vent

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
Quote from: Irrelevant  link=topic=75466.msg2066270#msg2066270 date=1389219596
Sweet graphics

I like this better than the real ones actually, even just a funny cats series would be sick

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
apparently clip art is whats hip in the 2014 art scene

paging
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
I would love to hear Heath's back on Alien.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
The picture of the deck series isn`t the best quality, I`m thinking they would probably look beautiful in person.  At least a lot better than that Dyrdek deck above.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
I'd be very happy if Dylan left Alien for FA so all those awful people can be together and leave those with brains at the Workshop. FA is shaping up to be a brand that I can't wait to see a video from, but would never buy product from.

And I like space.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

b.v.

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »
I'm guessing Dylan and Alex Olson are on the same company together.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1448
  • I got the internet goin' nuts

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
^ i swear to you people forget what it was like when you had to pay dues.  as fucked as hazing and shit like that were, sometimes the only way to get in was to get jumped in.  THAT'S JUST THE RULES OF THE STREETS.  sometimes bullying is a necessity, and that's life bro.  it teaches respect and builds comradery within your circle.  so if that's not your lane then cool, but don't cry about it like your inner child just got spanked.  

i also do not condone any sort of violence or pressuring btw.   ;)

Worst type of jock shit. Glad it has no place in skating anymore.

juhzden

• Rep: 6
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »

New Workshop series has 5 pro boards and no sign of a Dylan board, looks like he jumped ship too. My bet is on FA. Sucks cause these boards look so sick. Got told Westgate is on Alien's wishlist and that they're trying to get him, seems like they might be heading back to the street/underground vibes a bit.

I can't look at these without imagining some girl mall grabbing one of them while wearing these

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
If that bitch ever goes to space.....she gonna get hit by a car....

moeron

• Rep: -27
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2014, 12:45:30 AM »
Kalis is the definition of the perfect pro skateboarder.

Swankweezy_inc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2014, 02:13:08 AM »
Expand Quote
uhhhh....I can't be the only one who thinks those boards are corny and unoriginal. rock a sweet tie dye with those nu age universe decks
[close]

thank you.  i think those are fucking awful.  if i saw those in a shop, I would have NO idea that it's an Alien board, aside from the pro's name on it.  It just goes to show how far Alien has fallen.  Alien graphics were ALWAYS so definable.  You KNEW which boards were Workshop boards.  These look like a collab with Rip-n-Dip or something (i hate that company name so I use them as an example). 

There is ZERO artistic influence on those.  Straight up stock space photos with text and a logo.  That's what bugs me.  I always thought of Alien as having good ART/Graphics and the PRIDED themselves on that.  Not just throwing something trendy on a board and selling it. 

Gilbert Crockett one is the best one to me, just seems the graphic is less in your face compared to the Dyrdek and Johnson ones.

I imagine Dylan is getting a decent paycheck from HUF to be able to quit a company like Alien, considering that after Dill, Ave, Grant Taylor and Mikey Taylor all left/were made to leave he was the most profitable rider with his fanbase.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
''Dyrdek told me like 10 years ago that in the future, there probably will be no pro skaters. There might be like 10, and they will ride for this big umbrella of a company that owns all of them. His thinking was that you would have like 10 major pros that made real good money, and the rest would just skate for fun or make a couple dollars. I’m split with that, half of me says, nah that will never happen, but the other half… I’ve seen some pretty heavy changes in just the past 5 years.''

has anyone brought this up yet?
kinda disturbing....
hopefully it never happens

shark tits

« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
that's some dystopian futuristic shit. if it were all corporate and lame like that there's nothing to stop you from supporting your local company and if they're succeeding then they can turn your local heros pro or whatever. i don't think you can  kill the mom and pop aspect of the skate industry. maybe distribution would be a problem though cause my friend who owns a company isn't paying anyone and he's not getting rich selling boards in central mass and possibly a few other markets.

erotikmesse88

• Rep: -35
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »
Loved the interview. Kalis is a legend.

Yo Alien, stop ripping off boards I drew.

yes as if you are the first to make something like this ....

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »
"drew"

steele

• Rep: 32
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2014, 05:18:15 AM »
I can't believe a skateboard company brought out a shitty series of decks.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
Im also curious to know how Mikey Taylor ended up off, he seems like the type to go down with a sinking ship but then again if people are allegedly making moves to get you off a company and then suddenly they leave i could see why you wouldnt feel loyal to that company..to whoever posted Kalis isnt producing how could you say that with a straight face? Hes been really consistent since the 90s only other person that consistent with parts is Fred Gall which is pretty damn hard to do on the east coast, I also havent heard of or seen Kalis skip a demo...It'd be a sad day when workshop isnt around my best boards that lasted the longest have been DNA boards actually my favorite perfect shape, size, comfort, board was a Danny Garcia Habitat it had a clocktower on it havent seen a pic of it online in a while...Also even with all the talk around Dill and Ave people tend to forget those dudes are still amazing at skateboarding for what its worth, anytime ive seen him he was nice to me or those around him, no ones all bad it looks like he helped get that little kid here on supreme and on fa which is tight, no one seemed to really be hooking him up as good as was before that like alot of talented nyc skaters...i try not to take things so negatively and build up a super strong opinion most of the time no one knows 100% of the story but you do know the skating as you see it so, it helps to treat some things as if this was still the pre-internet dominant era of skating 90s-00s just watch the skating..

Kalis absolutely skipped a demo I set up.  Had two people confirmed from the DNA camp to do a demo for a park grand opening, and he bailed out the day of, or maybe night before.   But he was off workshop within two months, so maybe he couldn't justify the effort.  He did one here back in 2000 that I wasn't involved in, other than as a spectator, he was close to two hours late and only skated for 20 minutes.  That was disappointing.   

But I don't see how anyone can say he doesn't produce. 

If that bitch ever goes to space.....she gonna get hit by a car....
I laughed all the way to the gnar button.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
The truth

Blak Myke

• Rep: 3
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
I hope after he retires from skating Kalis makes a board company called UPRIVER. I'd cop up.