Author Topic: First Report from the frontlines at Sochi: shit is looking fucked up  (Read 6958 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: First Report from the frontlines at Sochi: shit is looking fucked up
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10334829/minnesota-wild-stars-advise-families-stay-home-sochi
With seeing shit like hockey players telling their friends and family to stay in America, I can't help but feel something really fucked up is going to happen during the games this year. It seems like all hell is about break loose.
[close]

It's all propaganda against Russia and their politics, the media tries to make everybody scared about some non-existing threats and shit. There was terrorist threats in Vancouver too, and probably in every olympics before that. Pretty regular to actually buy all that crap the government and anti-russian media is trying to make people believe in. It's a way different culture, but not a warzone or a 3rd world country. There's always a risk that some fucked up person is gonna blow up the whole place or shoot a bunch of people, but that could happen in the US just as much, if not even more likely. All these brainwashed idiots like this hockey player just ad on to the snowball effect

There were two terrorist attacks in a nearby region very recently and while the security will probably be very tight, the threat is there.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
Look I don't care that Russia is a gay-hating, corrupt, oppressive, neo-nazi, misogynist, freezing cold, anti-democratic, Apollo-Creed killing, journalist-killing, mafia-infested shithole.  I don't care because Kim Yuna is going to be there and I want to watch her do twirls and jumps and spins and what-have-yous.  I'M THE NUMBER ONE SUPER FAN!!!!!!!  #1 <3 <3 <3

Marty Mcfly

• Rep: 40
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »
I thought the article was already in print news this morning.

Pro Baby Yeah!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
Expand Quote
If you have a few minutes read this:
http://johnniebalfour.tumblr.com/post/74154630755/sochi-update-number-1

Its a blog written by one of the "snowboard cross" course designers about his first couple days in Sochi, that has since been shut down.

Long story short, these are a couple of the things he mentions:
- no snow
- no organization whatsoever
- construction not finished and wont be finished in town
- construction that is finished is fucked
- seedy russian officials not paying staff
- third world accommodations with no hot water or even drinkable water
- $75 (USD) small pizzas
List goes on...

Add this to existing issues like:
- There are still 300,000 unsold tickets to Sochi, this could be an olympics where the audience is basically friends and family of athletes
- The reason noone wants to buy tickets is because Sochi is essentially an unstable/active warzone.

I'm not saying these Olympics are a guaranteed disaster, but there is a relatively high chance they will be and at this point its a given that, at the very least, they wont be good. With World Cup Brazil looking sketchy as well (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/world-cup-venue-ready-in-brazil-but-problems-persist-1.2507297) 2014 could be the revenge of the third world (well, russia is technically second world).

I had no interest in the winter olympics before, but I might bring out the popcorn for this one.

EDIT: Original blog was taken down, mirror is here: http://www.newschoolers.com/readnews/44246.0/Sochi-Update-Number-1--removed-+-reposted-

EDIT 2: All reposts of his blog are being taken down. Apparently dude is concerned about it and doesn't want those words up on the web anymore too...
[close]

Russia is 3rd world.
Nope.

I like that the antigay country has buddy toilets- they probably figured it would prevent glory holes
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »
So I took a Russian History class this summer, and it seems for the majority of people in Russia, life has been completely fucked up and miserable  in every single time period.

"A FISH ROTS FROM THE HEAD DOWN"

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10334829/minnesota-wild-stars-advise-families-stay-home-sochi
With seeing shit like hockey players telling their friends and family to stay in America, I can't help but feel something really fucked up is going to happen during the games this year. It seems like all hell is about break loose.
[close]

It's all propaganda against Russia and their politics, the media tries to make everybody scared about some non-existing threats and shit. There was terrorist threats in Vancouver too, and probably in every olympics before that. Pretty regular to actually buy all that crap the government and anti-russian media is trying to make people believe in. It's a way different culture, but not a warzone or a 3rd world country. There's always a risk that some fucked up person is gonna blow up the whole place or shoot a bunch of people, but that could happen in the US just as much, if not even more likely. All these brainwashed idiots like this hockey player just ad on to the snowball effect
[close]

There were two terrorist attacks in a nearby region very recently and while the security will probably be very tight, the threat is there.

And Russia has said that they are actively looking for the wives of several terrorists that they know are in Sochi and may be actively planning something in response to their husband's deaths.  Meanwhile, the Ukraine (which is very close to Sochi) is on the brink of a civil war, which will definitely have an effect on Russia, and Chechnya (which harbors a bunch of anti-Russian terrorist cells) is right next to Sochi as well.  Of course the Olympics receive a ton of threats, but I don't think that Vancouver had to deal with those kind of potentialities.  And the ubiquity of the threats doesn't mean that attacks can't happen.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre.

I have no doubts that the athletes will be safe, if only because Putin would obliterate everyone and everything connected to the terrorist that harms an athlete but spectators, family members, non-political guests?  That's a different story.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
Winter Olympics are a joke. Canada has all the best facilities to host every year. ASPEN can host a winter olympics.

Yeah! lets host the olympics in Russia with nearby terrorist attacks and Ukrainian civil war.. Can't it be Norway/Canada/USA every year? WE need to see shaun white do that 1790 without bombs

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »
Winter Olympics are a joke. Canada has all the best facilities to host every year. ASPEN can host a winter olympics.

Yeah! lets host the olympics in Russia with nearby terrorist attacks and Ukrainian civil war.. Can't it be Norway/Canada/USA every year? WE need to see shaun white do that 1790 without bombs
This is why I ignore you

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

And Russia has said that they are actively looking for the wives of several terrorists that they know are in Sochi and may be actively planning something in response to their husband's deaths.  Meanwhile, the Ukraine (which is very close to Sochi) is on the brink of a civil war, which will definitely have an effect on Russia, and Chechnya (which harbors a bunch of anti-Russian terrorist cells) is right next to Sochi as well.  Of course the Olympics receive a ton of threats, but I don't think that Vancouver had to deal with those kind of potentialities.  And the ubiquity of the threats doesn't mean that attacks can't happen.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre.

I have no doubts that the athletes will be safe, if only because Putin would obliterate everyone and everything connected to the terrorist that harms an athlete but spectators, family members, non-political guests?  That's a different story.

That's like saying that Mexicos drug wars would make US a more dangerous place to travel to.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
A drug war is obviously different than a civil war (which I don't think will happen, tbh) in terms of intensity and overall impact. An all out war in a neighboring country will definitely test Russia's internal security measures.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
No, it's not.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Its a blog written by one of the "snowboard cross" course designers about his first couple days in Sochi, that has since been shut down.

- no snow
- $75 (USD) small pizzas
List goes on...

- There are still 300,000 unsold tickets to Sochi, this could be an olympics where the audience is basically friends and family of athletes
- The reason noone wants to buy tickets is because Sochi is essentially an unstable/active warzone.

I'm not saying these Olympics are a guaranteed disaster, but there is a relatively high chance they will be and at this point its a given that, at the very least, they wont be good. With World Cup Brazil looking sketchy as well (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/world-cup-venue-ready-in-brazil-but-problems-persist-1.2507297) 2014 could be the revenge of the third world (well, russia is technically second world).

I had no interest in the winter olympics before, but I might bring out the popcorn for this one.

EDIT: Original blog was taken down, mirror is here: http://www.newschoolers.com/readnews/44246.0/Sochi-Update-Number-1--removed-+-reposted-

EDIT 2: All reposts of his blog are being taken down. Apparently dude is concerned about it and doesn't want those words up on the web anymore too...
[close]

Russia is 3rd world.
[close]
Nope.

I like that the antigay country has buddy toilets- they probably figured it would prevent glory holes

Yes, Russia is close to 3rd world, it's marginally developed, and not developing.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »

That's like saying that Mexicos drug wars would make US a more dangerous place to travel to.

Yeah well, it kinda does. Especially if you plan on traveling to a region in close geographical proximity to the border.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/us/23border.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- no snow
- $75 (USD) small pizzas
List goes on...

[close]

Russia is 3rd world.
[close]
Nope.

[close]

Yes, Russia is close to 3rd world, it's marginally developed, and not developing.
Russia is literally 2nd world. The terms were invented to describe the US and the USSR's spheres of influence during the Cold War, jackass.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »
The real issue is the $ 75 small pizzas. Who can afford that? Hopefully there is a Costco nearby so the tourists can get frozen pies at a reasonable price

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- no snow
- $75 (USD) small pizzas
List goes on...

[close]

Russia is 3rd world.
[close]
Nope.

[close]

[close]
Russia is literally 2nd world. The terms were invented to describe the US and the USSR's spheres of influence during the Cold War, jackass.

DOYEEEEE

In 1975, but really it's a 3rd world mafia state.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
Shit, we have an expert here.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 01:55:56 AM »
Yesterday, I watched an interesting documentary about the Games in Sotchi. Here are some interesting facts:

- Sotchi is in one the warmest regions in Russia
- Putin simply wanted the Games to happen in Sotchi (probably compensating for the boycotted Olympic Games in Moscow, 1980)
- The competitors were Salzburg in Austria, which would have already provided the necessary infrastructure, and Pyeongchang, South Korea
- Immediately after Sotchi got the confirmation, a bill was passed which allows the government to disseize property and land from the citizens, causing many people to become more or less homeless. Basically a law which allows the government and investors to do whatever the fuck they want
- the whole construction process is accompanied by taking a big, fat, stinking shit on nature and the environment
- they built an unneccesary harbor which was swept away by the flood because they shat on appropriate statics. after that, they built a new one, which they do not need anymore
- one of the most frequent words used in the documentary was "absurd"

It ran on "arte" in case any German or French speaking pals are interested

and ben shraider, you're a total fucking idiot for downplaying the whole issue as anti-Russian media propaganda
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:24:07 AM by dolphinstyle. »
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 02:04:18 AM »
pyongyang is the capital of north korea you dillhole

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
right, fixed

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »
Yesterday, I watched an interesting documentary about the Games in Sotchi. Here are some interesting facts:

- Sotchi is in one the warmest regions in Russia
- Putin simply wanted the Games to happen in Sotchi (probably compensating for the boycotted Olympic Games in Moscow, 1980)
- The competitors were Salzburg in Austria, which would have already provided the necessary infrastructure, and Pyongyang, North Korea
- Immediately after Sotchi got the confirmation, a bill was passed which allows the government to disseize property and land from the citizens, causing many people to become more or less homeless. Basically a law which allows the government and investors to do whatever the fuck they want
- the whole construction process is accompanied by taking a big, fat, stinking shit on nature and the environment
- they built an unneccesary harbor which was swept away by the flood because they shat on appropriate statics. after that, they built a new one, which they do not need anymore
- one of the most frequent words used in the documentary was "absurd"

It ran on "arte" in case any German or French speaking pals are interested

and ben shraider, you're a total fucking idiot

nah man, the project and the way things are done might sound absurd, but that's just the way everything is done in russia, and it's not gonna cause any significant protesting or movement within the people who live there. Nothing too shocking, if you're familiar with the Russian culture. Ukranian civil-war (which isn't even close to actual civil-war) has nothing to do with anything. Also the pizza slice doesn't cost 75$, but 75 russian rubles which equals to about 2$. There's always a possibility that some terrorist blows up everything, but that can happen anywhere.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
I'm willing to put money on Vice releasing a documentary about this in the next three weeks.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 04:59:26 AM »
right, fixed

are you fucking high? you think north korea was considered for the winter olympics????

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:50 AM »
Expand Quote
right, fixed
[close]

are you fucking high? you think north korea was considered for the winter olympics????
shit,
Pyeongchang, South Korea, was the competitor. close enough
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:27:59 AM by dolphinstyle. »

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

What was the name of the documentary?

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3394
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
shit is looking fucked up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617

I like the idea of not having to fuss with the stall divider when I want to cruise for cock in the bathroom...so I'm backing this both literally and figuratively. ;)

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal