Author Topic: Mystery Skateboards  (Read 17708 times)

Roy N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Mystery Skateboards
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:47:54 AM »
is there a future for Mystery Skateboards in 2014 and onwards? has been around for 11 years and now has only a handful of riders left on the team. seems like Jamie has helped kick start a lot careers, but has not been shown any loyalty. is he that much of a horrible boss? does mystery even have tours? their current roster of riders have to be some of the more irrelevant skaters going around today. how is ryan bobier still pro? one video part in 7 years? who is buying a mystery boards?

a list of ex Mystery Riders - am I missing any?

ryan smith - Injuries - Fallen off completely? Substance abuse? There was a period in time where he was one of the best skaters going around.

lindsay robertson - Where did he even go? ACL injuries?

adrian lopez - Left Mystery to start his own company.

dennis durrant - Didn't go pro due to not having footage that was filmed by Black Box filmers or up to their standards. One of Mysterys biggest fuck ups IMO.

everen stallion - Got locked up.

gilbert crockett - Quits all Blackbox brands and joins AWS & Vans. Becomes almost a completely different skater. Moves back home to Richmond.

dan murphy - Quits Mystery to ride for Foundation. Slap somehow knows before Jamie Thomas does.

pete eldridge - Quits Mystery to ride for Cliche. External pressure from Adidas to get on a company that is actually relevant? Gets to travel a lot more?

sierra fellars -  Never got along with any of the Mystery riders and his footage was not up to Black Box standard, as it was filmed in Montana and Canada (footage later used in his Circa part) Kicked off Mystery by Jamie. Gets a life line from Foundation. Solid career since.

jimmy carlin - Quits Mystery and joins Enjoi.

trevor colden - Quits Mystery and joins Skate Mental (Nike $$$)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Mystery Skateboards
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
is there a future for Mystery Skateboards in 2014 and onwards? has been around for 11 years and now has only a handful of riders left on the team. seems like Jamie has helped kick start a lot careers, but has not been shown any loyalty. is he that much of a horrible boss? does mystery even have tours? their current roster of riders have to be some of the more irrelevant skaters going around today. how is ryan bobier still pro? one video part in 7 years? who is buying a mystery boards?

a list of ex Mystery Riders - am I missing any?

ryan smith - Injuries - Fallen off completely? Substance abuse? There was a period in time where he was one of the best skaters going around.

lindsay robertson - Where did he even go? ACL injuries?

adrian lopez - Left Mystery to start his own company.

dennis durrant - Didn't go pro due to not having footage that was filmed by Black Box filmers or up to their standards. One of Mysterys biggest fuck ups IMO.

everen stallion - Got locked up.

gilbert crockett - Quits all Blackbox brands and joins AWS & Vans. Becomes almost a completely different skater. Moves back home to Richmond.

dan murphy - Quits Mystery to ride for Foundation. Slap somehow knows before Jamie Thomas does.

pete eldridge - Quits Mystery to ride for Cliche. External pressure from Adidas to get on a company that is actually relevant? Gets to travel a lot more?

sierra fellars -  Never got along with any of the Mystery riders and his footage was not up to Black Box standard, as it was filmed in Montana and Canada (footage later used in his Circa part) Kicked off Mystery by Jamie. Gets a life line from Foundation. Solid career since.

jimmy carlin - Quits Mystery and joins Enjoi.

trevor colden - Quits Mystery and joins Skate Mental (Nike $$$)

i dont know man. its all a mystery to me.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »
they really screwed up with Durant
For Your Health

shitsandwich

• Rep: -54
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure Bobier is just the TM now, but what did everen stallion do to get locked up? Is he still in?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »
I liked Eldridge on mystery..

I read an interview and in it Pete was saying how Jamie single handedly brought him back into skating.  I'm sure it was a rough decision to leave.  It seems like Jamie has put so many dudes on and opened a lot of doors.
where is home?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:53 AM »
For me it was all downhill after the New Blood teaser

The Black and White video was a huge let-down and I haven't cared much since

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 07:30:50 AM »
that company never seemed to get off to the right start, it was orginally supposed to be Mumford and Adrian Lopez's company then Mumford quits and Lopez just seemed to offer no direction. The weird part was when they did all the black and white boards that slightly looked like tattoo stuff kids in new Orleans loved those boards which was super random considering there really wasn't many relevant people on the team, kids just loved the graphics then all of a sudden mystery quit being a Black and White company and i think kids were over it. I would say its time to 86 that company and do something new, i could see it doing ok as the price point compnay seeing as how Threat is having a team and whatnot.

Mazzer

• Rep: -20
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:31:44 AM »

Link?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
I don't think Jamie Thomas cares, if he did it wouldn't be such a clusterfuck. But then again so is zero and fallen.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
^There's nothing wrong with Zero. I don't see how Mystery and Fallen is still around.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Link?

Hey I remember that!

Never understood why they kicked sierra, he became a great one right after he left

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
^There's nothing wrong with Zero. I don't see how Mystery and Fallen is still around.

don't know if you've ever tried a pair of fallens, but if you haven't you should. the few that i had were super comfy and durable as shit with great grip.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
seconding fallens being great shoes. still have an excellent team too.

I can never keep up with mystery's roster. their boards were super super popular in san diego when they came out

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
They do sure live up to their name.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
i dono  blueprint, zoo york, world industries, and powell all lost/dropped their teams and look how well they are doing...
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -273
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »
Im pretty sure a thread about Mystery has been done before,
ISUCK said something along the lines of "keep hating, Mystery does great."

Im skating a Mystery right now, couldnt be happier with with it. Will buy again.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Jamie has put so many dudes on and opened a lot of doors.

Jamie  has thrown many life lines & will continue too, it's up to the skater/pro to  take control of there own career

Durrant was a real shame, at the time he should've hung with black box dudes more than circa & element pros?

Wasn't mystery meant to be mumfords brand instead of Lopez? His silhouette is in the original ad

Guwop

• Rep: 76
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
Pretty sure Mystery sales stopped when kids finished their Emo phase

Roy N

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Jamie has put so many dudes on and opened a lot of doors.
[close]

Jamie  has thrown many life lines & will continue too, it's up to the skater/pro to  take control of there own career

Durrant was a real shame, at the time he should've hung with black box dudes more than circa & element pros?

Wasn't mystery meant to be mumfords brand instead of Lopez? His silhouette is in the original ad

yep. probably wanted more control so that's why he started legacy skateboards.

Roy N

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Link?
[close]

Hey I remember that!

Never understood why they kicked sierra, he became a great one right after he left

read about it here - http://robbrink.com/2009/10/26/milestone-sierra-fellers/

Roy N

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »
i'm assuming jamie has nothing to do with $LAVE other then being distributed under black box? not one original member has left since it's was established in 2008. the only team change was ben raybourn who has come & left already. that in itself is pretty rare

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »
Any argument against Mystery can be solved with this video.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't know if you've ever tried a pair of fallens, but if you haven't you should. the few that i had were super comfy and durable as shit with great grip.
I'm talking about sales not quality.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Mitch Brenner

• Rep: -14
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked in the where are they now thread, but honestly does anyone know what Lindsey Robertson is up to? Guy just disappeared. 

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
i got a heavily used mystery from a homie to get me through the winter and im loving the fuck out of it, so much to the point where i have another waiting to set up. Ryan Smith got me so hyped when i saw the dc video (also being the first video i ever saw) so im super bummed that his career came to a stop

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
i got a heavily used mystery from a homie to get me through the winter and im loving the fuck out of it, so much to the point where i have another waiting to set up. Ryan Smith got me so hyped when i saw the dc video (also being the first video i ever saw) so im super bummed that his career came to a stop

Yeah, those long hard Sydney winters sure do suck LOL

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Actually 3 years ago i moved to Fort Mcmurray Alberta Canada. We have 4 months of the year to skate. So yes these long -40C winters do suck

Cooner66

• Rep: -47
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
where do you skate up in fort mac? ^

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Actually 3 years ago i moved to Fort Mcmurray Alberta Canada. We have 4 months of the year to skate. So yes these long -40C winters do suck

My bad, Sydney Skater. How's Canada compared to Sydney?

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
where do you skate up in fort mac? ^
We have one pretty good park, another being built come summer. Other than that we try to make do with some spots that we have. Being a small town we dont have much and we just lost one of our best ledge spots