Author Topic: Wall rides and Back Tails and Smiths  (Read 2116 times)

tonycoxhox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
    • journal blog. avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Wall rides and Back Tails and Smiths
« on: January 02, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
I know some of you guys are very good and I was wondering if I could get a couple of tips on some tricks. I know that going out and actually practicing them is the best way to learn them and thats what I am going to do. But before I do, maybe I could get some tips?

Back side wall rides. I can get on to the wall but I can never land the thing. Any tips on how to ride the wall would be cool.

Back side tail slides and back side Smith grinds. I can usually get back 5-0s locked but I have trouble with tails and smiths.

Any tips would be awesome.
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

mikefork

Re: Wall rides and Back Tails and Smiths
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
practice the wallrides on a jersey barier then they will be easier on walls. and easy way out is to do them like richie jackson-all up on the nose and nollie out. then take them to bank to walls because they are somehow easier on those too

iheardherassholeslikethisbig

• Rep: 1
  • yea
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
for back tails i try to ollie over it so im above like im going to a  back 5050 then shift my shoulders when im above it to backtail

biggums mcgee

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:56:37 PM »
could you guys fully explain how to do backside wallrides? thanks

mikefork

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
they're pretty similar to kickturns. roll up and pop on. ride it and when you want to come off do a little kickturn with most of your weight on the tail

biggums mcgee

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »
ha my problem is getting into them..like popping into an angle like that is weird for me

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:21:27 AM »
Thanks guys.

Any tips on how to get on and how to grind with Smiths?
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

Raw!!!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
  • ackrite
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 11:52:06 AM »
For backsmiths just kind of go for a 5-0 but keep your front foot pointed way down and out. Grinding them you just want to lock in good, lean back but make sure you keep your front leg pointed down so it doesnt come up and look gross..

leeroy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Any tips on how to get on and how to grind with Smiths?

fs smith-
I put my feet on the board into a "v-shape", kinda. front foot 45degree angle in the middle of the board (or slightly towards the bolts) and the back foot to the tip of the tail leaning more to yourself. the your feet are in a "v". you know what I mean? this way the board don't have  "too much" on the curb and it grinds easily. lean back a little when grinding that helps too. and keep your weight on the back foot.

or don't read this bullshit and watch brian anderson on slo-mo.

"The Night Of The Vampire"

mikefork

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »
ha my problem is getting into them..like popping into an angle like that is weird for me
shit. at first just try riding straight on and slightly popping into it and trying the ones richie jackson does-they're easier or if you go the jersey barier way and just ride that like a quarterpipe you will get the idea and be able to apply the same logic to a straight wall

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
shit. at first just try riding straight on and slightly popping into it and trying the ones richie jackson does-they're easier or if you go the jersey barier way and just ride that like a quarterpipe you will get the idea and be able to apply the same logic to a straight wall

Ahh the noble wallride, ok, basically it's a kcikturn on something super steep, if you can find a wall with angle on it learn on that, or jersey barrier they're probably the best thing to learn on, it's all about the angle.

Try doing backside no-comply ones first, so you can get used to getting your board on the wall, pretty much like everything it's all timing.

Basically approach the wall at angle, say the same angle you'd want to do a backside 50-50, the push with your backfoot while lifting your front up the wall, it's like a giant slappy/kickturn, then ride that mother fuvk, try and shakka while you're on it cas you're on the vertical wave and surfs up,

ok the hard part is coming out, the higher you go the better chance you have of coming out well, so a wall with an angle it great it pings you up once you;ve worked out hight, on then turn like fuck, BUT don't point your nose into the ground, you sort of want to acid drop off the wall.

But find something super steep or a kicker to wall is good.

There's one outside my friends house, whihc is sick, you can well could go super high on it, but now there's a wheelie bin in the way, fuckers.

Anyway ride the vertical wave adn sorry if that all sounds obvious, i learn with alochol and gritting the teeth
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
Go at the wall at a high angle when you first learn, and don't try to come out rolling parallel, at first its easier to come straight off the wall.
backtail- ollie and then turn. doing them to fakie is easier at first, just do it in one fluid motion.
backsmith- shit, I can barely do those, but you want to get really on top of it, with all your weight on the back 2 bolts of your back truck. Speed helps a lot on backsmiths.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

muckles

• Rep: -29
  • RAZORSHARPCREW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 12:28:50 AM »
For backside tailslides- come parallel to the ledge and ollie but when you ollie only shift the back of the board do not do it all in one motion.  Turn your shoulder to keep sliding and turn your shoulders back to bring your board back to straight.  I guess learning how to do backside shifty's help out.  This works for me but everyone learns differently.
<src img=http://forums.clubrsx.com/customavatars/avatar91928_161.gif>

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 03:20:30 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I will try all of the tips you guys suggested.

Any tips on back side shify's? haha. They always turn out half assed.

Thanks.