Author Topic: Berrics - In Transition (Daewon, Greyson, Raney, Rayborn, Burnquist etc.)!!  (Read 33737 times)

shred42O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Berrics - In Transition (Daewon, Greyson, Raney, Rayborn, Burnquist etc.)!!
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
Ronnie killed it. I really liked it but it didn't have the hit after hit high-energy feel of the other parts. Kind of strange being that all the hits were there. I can't pinpoint what made that part not as exciting as the rest. Bunch if good shit though.

I wonder why he used construction as the reason for not filming at Channel Street. I just figured Daewon picked the spot first considering that during the time this was filmed it was still open, limited hours maybe but still, why not just say Daewon wanted that spot and has seniority. Stupid thing to wonder about, just thought it was weird.

because all his best stuff at channel was put out in that lakai clip and the thrasher video. Plus putting out something like this at a SF based park, is something that helps please his sponsors. The stuff he would have filmed at channel would have been redundant.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
now that most of the parts have dropped, I think something has to be said for the fact Fletcher was the only one to pick a spot he had never skated. all the others picked spots they knew really well already, and that changes everything when it comes to tranny. When you know the lines, you have a big head start.
I'm not saying Greyson's part is the best, but I think that factor should be taken into account...picking a park that gnarly that you've never skated is pretty wild in my opinion.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »
Daewon always has some trick that makes me say what the fuck out loud.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65232
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »
Boneless to bluntslide to fakie manual :o

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2014, 02:51:04 AM »
360 varial!  I am stoked to see that trick done out of a transition that big by Daewon.  Also, all those variations of his two weird tranny tricks (the hand stall and the between-the-legs varial) were crazy.

So who wins?  Well, I just got to watch Bob Burnquist, Ronnie Sandoval, and Dawon Song in a row.  I say we win.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2014, 03:37:01 AM »
Inward heel fakie nose manny on that steep as fuck box :O
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2014, 04:44:26 AM »
So much in Daewon's part did not make sense.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »
Noone else can skate like Daewon. Incomparable to any other "unique" take on vert / transition skating.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2014, 05:30:13 AM »
So much in Daewon's part did not make sense.
From picknick tables to DIY!  Fuckin love it

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2014, 07:02:47 AM »
Boneless to bluntslide to fakie manual :o

Best trick in it by far.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2014, 07:22:27 AM »
If Daewon was suddenly exposed as an alien whose body reacts differently to earth's gravity ,  it would all make more sense to me.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
Don't care about seeing Daewon skate tranny.  Circus tricks on one wall then a kickturn.  And the previous comment about Greyson picking a huge place he's never even been to is spot on.  Also Bob still wins.

BMCsteve

« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Daewon and Bob did some amazing stuff but for me Greyson's part is still the standout for me.  Terrifying park, deceptively hard park and all around destruction.  Imagine if he had spent years skating that place before filming like everyone else did for their parts

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
Daewon is on a different level. The funny thing though my favorite trick was his opening backsmith with the truck jiggling.

janky858

« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »
Daewon is on a different level. The funny thing though my favorite trick was his opening backsmith with the truck jiggling.

i agree 100% i love that shit! Daewon is rad to watch, but its not really surprising anymore.. everyone besides Bingaman was really rad to watch! this series was really fun to watch everyday!

Unbridled Technical Precision

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -329
  • C.H.Z.
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i agree 100% i love that shit! Daewon is rad to watch, but its not really surprising anymore.. everyone besides Bingaman was really rad to watch! this series was really fun to watch everyday!

haha harsh. 

here's the real question

Bob or Dae?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »
This as a contest is absolutely ridiculous. I hope they do it again, because the videos were amazing, but how do you compare those parts to each other? With that said, my favorite part was Raybourn's.

For the sake of starting a debate though (which is what makes posting in this place fun anyway), I'd say that Bob's tech on the big stuff was easily as impressive in terms of its technicality and creativity as Daewon's. Hippie jump to frontside nosegrind, switch hurricane in a vert pocket, half cab front crook to fakie on the mega- all of that shit is insanely technical, at least 2 out of 3 of those have to be nbd's, and there was a lot more. Sure, he does do as many flip tricks or manuals as Daewon, but Bob has a more natural "transition tech" trick selection than Daewon's circusy, but still fun to watch stuff.
And yeah, Antihero Bob footage is the best. He was the first vert skater I really liked to watch, his wild style switch runs on vert ramps were so amazing.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Brent212

• Rep: 1
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Damn, I can't think of any sort of video release "event" that I've enjoyed more than these. Every day getting to watch a new one is so fucking rad. I have nothing bad to say about any of the parts, but Raybourn's and Ronnie's were probably my favorite. That fucking invert on the fence at protrero is one of the coolest things I've seen done on a skateboard.

firstmiddlelastlastlast

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
Best thing ever on the Berrics. All parts were rad. Top 3 for me: Raney, Ronnie, Raemers.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
I love how despite having his own entry in the contest, Ronnie Sandoval also appears as a guest in Daewon and Raney's parts.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha harsh. 

here's the real question

Bob or Dae?
Except no one is putting Dae in the equation.  Its Bob or Raybourn. 

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
It seems to me that Daewon has to do the ridiculous stuff he does to keep it interesting for himself, his board control, balance and longevity are unmatched IMO.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
It seems to me that Daewon has to do the ridiculous stuff he does to keep it interesting for himself, his board control, balance and longevity are unmatched IMO.
Bob seems to have his own version of that +>10 feet of tranny.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »
Bob was the sickest even though he was skating his own spot the stuff he does is just obscene.

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
pretty hard to compare these parts. as gnarly as daewons tricks are he skates pretty slow. he did blast that huge air tho. and then as gnarly as bobs shit is hes kinda in his own category. either way this was the shit. and i watched all those on location things, i take back what i said about raemer park that shit was all kinds of tore up

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
Don't care about seeing Daewon skate tranny.  Circus tricks on one wall then a kickturn.  And the previous comment about Greyson picking a huge place he's never even been to is spot on.  Also Bob still wins.

What's funny about that is that I've had more than a handful of miniramp sessions with Daewon and it's never been like that. This is demo/video shit but during a normal session it's generally textbook tranny skating with fast lines, just super smooth and consistent, with a bit more tech thrown in here and there compared to what your average ramp ripper would toss into the middle of a run.

I enjoyed the shit out of this though, definitely way different than the other 9 parts.

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 391
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2014, 09:54:08 PM »
Before I watched Daewon's part I started it over and [re]watched all of them in order 1-10, no pauses or rewinding. Came out with a different perspective. A couple people were absolutely right by saying that the winner of the contest is all of us who get to watch it. My personal favorites were Grayson, Raney, Rune (in that order). With Bingamin and Raybourn getting honorable mention. Really though that's just personal taste, they all killed it and were fantastic. My own recap:

Fletcher- Points for park choice, speed, flow, style, and I really liked Chris Gregson's filming. Great one-footed ollies. Air over the loveseat was ridiculous; such a sketchy looking wall. Best backside tailgrabs since 90's Rune. If you missed it, watch the landing on the channel ollie at 1:40.

Remillard- Liked it much more after a couple watches. Dude ripped. Schubert's filming was crazy but the follow actually made some big walls look smaller than they are. Really solid skating and a good part.

Raemers- Spot was fucked. Kickflip backside grab fakie and the 270 kickflip melon were both extra sick.

Raney- Overall presentation is still my favorite of all the parts. The halfcab 5-0 tail smack sticks out, lots of transfers, and not many people can probably flow that well through such an awkward spot.

Bingamin- Seems to get more hate than it deserves. Nollie 360 tailgrab was too easy to miss. The tailslide revert > switch tail revert line was cool, love halfcabs to fakie on tranny, and things like the halfcab nosestall are so hard but. Also, front crook through corner, long ass nosegrinds, and good mix of big tranny gnar and small tranny trickery. Anyone who has bad things to say about this must be pretty hard to please.

Glifberg- Always like Rune. He's so good that expectations are super high bit he met them. I liked the limited vert ramp stuff, and thought the late shuvit over the trash can was a nice touch. He can toss in a 'street' trick of he wants, he's fucking Rune.

Raybourn- Amazing as always, and came through with an amazing part. Loved the lofty backside 180. All along, since 1031 days, he's been doing the kind of tricks that a lot of people are doing now (saran wraps, judos, boneless and fastplant variations, etc) before many started skating tranny like that again. Probably heavily influenced guys like Raney, Ronnie, Kevin Kowalski, and many others. Plus: GBH!

Bob- I still don't think it can be fairly compared with the other parts, but it was mind melting stuff. Yeah, it's stuntman'esque, but it's all still done on a skateboard so can't take away from it. Bob's in a league of his own, no question.

Sandoval- Damn that kid rips. Liked it more the 3rd or 4th time around but can't hate on this kid. He owns that fence.

Daewon- More board control than just about any other skater, ever. So many ridiculously hard tricks. The 'circus trick' stuff just seems like a way for him to push his ability. When you're that good you gotta get weird to keep progression moving.

firstmiddlelastlastlast

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »
Schismatic pretty much nailed it, I'm in complete agreement. The only thing I would argue is that Raybourn has influenced kowalski, etc. All those young dudes have been doing that type of skating as long as raybourn, his wealthy background has just had him in the public eye longer than your average working class skater.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
Schismatic pretty much nailed it, I'm in complete agreement. The only thing I would argue is that Raybourn has influenced kowalski, etc. All those young dudes have been doing that type of skating as long as raybourn, his wealthy background has just had him in the public eye longer than your average working class skater.

You could well be right, just my own take. I used to really like 1031and have watched Raybourn go from a 16 y/o little shredder  to what he is now, and kinda forgot how young he actually is. I guess that was only around '07/'08; not really that long ago.

I don't know his family background but have been through his hometown (Rosenberg TX) and it never struck me as a really affluent place but regardless of that I think his skating has had much more to do with being in the public eye than his parent's income.

Speaking of Kevin Kowalski- I would've liked to have seen him in this. Maybe there'll be a round 2 with guys like Kowalski, Cody Lockwood, Squints, and other rad tranny rippers who deserve more coverage. One can hope.