Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789984 times)

Damoforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3330 on: October 23, 2020, 08:56:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I bought mine from a skate / surf shop here in Aus ( Online )

Here's an image of them

image upload
[close]

They are the normal legit Spitfire Formula Four wheels, from that graphic at least.  I know they feel grippier than Bones wheels so they might take some getting used to.  There are very few remaining in Australia, but there are still enough if you know where to look, or check shops that are not usually selling online, but I haven't seen any fakes actually in Australia yet in all my travels.
[close]

It's not just that they are grippier. Well, they are 101a compared to my 99a bones. But they tend to get a tacky feeling after riding or sliding not 100% smooth ground. Idk. I prob wouldn't buy another pair after this. I like the shape but will try else where.
[close]
Let them break in, I’ve tried conical full, classic and radial slim F4’s and conical full slide like no other after breaking them in.
[close]

2 months still sticky as a mofo. They get lines in them when trying to powerslide any ground that's not smooth af. They good on smooth af concrete as they grippy for a 101a. If anyone wants a wheel with more slide don't get these.
[close]

Not tryna say you're wrong, but 101a F4s are easily one of the iciest wheels I've ridden. Not fully sure what you mean with the lines, but that sounds like a red flag as well.

Def not icy wheels in my experience on them. My Bones 99a, Ojs Insane 101a and Ricta speedrings 101a all slide double as easy.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3331 on: October 24, 2020, 05:11:07 AM »
The lines are deep scores from like rocks and stuff. That's how f4 slides so nicely.

The loopholes the bones do it too. Plenty of others as well.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3332 on: October 27, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's says 53. It's square. I can't find this graphic online so I assume it's not in print.

I got them in trade for old f4s connie fulls.

If anyone who recognizes what's the graphic and knows more about this wheel plz let me know.  I'd like to know.

I got to ride then a few times and they're really nice. Wish they was a little harder but I feel that way about every wheel.

If it was a classic shape that would bet cooler too but I definitely traded well.

(A)pl(E)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3333 on: October 27, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's says 53. It's square. I can't find this graphic online so I assume it's not in print.

If anyone who recognizes what's the graphic and knows more about this wheel plz let me know.  I'd like to know.

I got to ride then a few times and they're really nice. Wish they was a little harder but I feel that way about every wheel.

If it was a classic shape that would bet cooler too but I definitely traded well.

Rodney Mullen STF's?

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3334 on: October 27, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
Has anyone had experience with boardy cake wheels? I threw on some sml 40s on my curb board and love it and was wondering if there's info on the boardy cake 42 and 44mm.

I do. Have some Fat Bundts and they are HARD. I typically ride F4s, the Bundts feel glassy in comparison. They feel great for what they are.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3335 on: October 28, 2020, 12:36:47 AM »
anyone know any shops selling Radial Slims, Conical and Classics online? Preferably 101a 52mm?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3336 on: October 28, 2020, 04:12:50 AM »
Anybody skating Pig wheels? I can't find any 56mm F4's in 101a but Pig has a readily available 56mm 101a wheel. I haven't skated Pig wheels in probably 15 years so just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with them.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #3337 on: October 28, 2020, 04:16:54 AM »
Re 97 duro Formula Four Spitfires

Probably not soon enough for most people, but I think it would be worth the wait.

I still have a few normal sets of 97 and 95 duro Spitfires and they are definitely good for those new slippery or paint / graf covered parks.

They go ok on rougher surfaces too, but the 92 and 90 duro are best for those I find.

Each to their own though.

If you don't want to wait or want something with a different there's a few good 97/98 wheels out there. The Creature/OJ 97a (theres a few different graphics, I have the bloodsuckers) is my favorite commute wheel at this time of year because they just plow through sticks and acorns but still slide well enough that I can stop and hit a curb on the way home. Hard-line shape is really good.

If you want something similar but can't deal with the creature swirls and colors then Pig 97a conicals are good too. They're slightly grippier but slide really well.

There's also a company called Niki Red that has a surprisingly large selection of relatively inexpensive wheels. One of them is a 54mm 96a conical that's almost identical to a spitfire conical full in shape called Brooklyn Baptizer, I've had them on my rain setup for like a year now and they're still going strong. They kinda remind me of the old spitfire 95a formula.

https://www.nikired.com/product-page/brooklyn-banks-series

In other news, a little birdie told me that Prize Fighter Cutlery is going to be releasing new wheels sometime in the near future. I know they have a good reputation and some people swear by them so I'll probably give them a try when they drop.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3338 on: October 28, 2020, 04:48:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rodney Mullen STF's?

Thanks.

(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3339 on: October 28, 2020, 05:13:50 AM »
Anybody skating Pig wheels? I can't find any 56mm F4's in 101a but Pig has a readily available 56mm 101a wheel. I haven't skated Pig wheels in probably 15 years so just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with them.

Orchard has 56 mm loopholes in v shape. Do that if you like f4.
(A)pl(E)

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3340 on: October 28, 2020, 07:17:49 AM »

I know the shop I go to has some F4 101a in those size for conical fills and classics if that helps

https://303boards-com.myshopify.com/collections/spitfire-wheels/products/spitfire-101-formula-4-conical-full-multiple-sizes?variant=32108988727361

https://303boards-com.myshopify.com/collections/spitfire-wheels/products/spitfire-101-formula-4-classic-multiple-sizes?variant=32109027983425

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3341 on: October 28, 2020, 07:23:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know the shop I go to has some F4 101a in those size for conical fills and classics if that helps

https://303boards-com.myshopify.com/collections/spitfire-wheels/products/spitfire-101-formula-4-conical-full-multiple-sizes?variant=32108988727361

https://303boards-com.myshopify.com/collections/spitfire-wheels/products/spitfire-101-formula-4-classic-multiple-sizes?variant=32109027983425
Expand Quote
[close]

Orchard has 56 mm loopholes in v shape. Do that if you like f4.

Hell yeah, thanks dudes!!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3342 on: October 28, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Re 97 duro Formula Four Spitfires

Probably not soon enough for most people, but I think it would be worth the wait.

I still have a few normal sets of 97 and 95 duro Spitfires and they are definitely good for those new slippery or paint / graf covered parks.

They go ok on rougher surfaces too, but the 92 and 90 duro are best for those I find.

Each to their own though.
[close]

If you don't want to wait or want something with a different there's a few good 97/98 wheels out there. The Creature/OJ 97a (theres a few different graphics, I have the bloodsuckers) is my favorite commute wheel at this time of year because they just plow through sticks and acorns but still slide well enough that I can stop and hit a curb on the way home. Hard-line shape is really good.

If you want something similar but can't deal with the creature swirls and colors then Pig 97a conicals are good too. They're slightly grippier but slide really well.

There's also a company called Niki Red that has a surprisingly large selection of relatively inexpensive wheels. One of them is a 54mm 96a conical that's almost identical to a spitfire conical full in shape called Brooklyn Baptizer, I've had them on my rain setup for like a year now and they're still going strong. They kinda remind me of the old spitfire 95a formula.

https://www.nikired.com/product-page/brooklyn-banks-series

In other news, a little birdie told me that Prize Fighter Cutlery is going to be releasing new wheels sometime in the near future. I know they have a good reputation and some people swear by them so I'll probably give them a try when they drop.

super psyched on this.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3343 on: October 28, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »

new wheels from madness

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3344 on: October 28, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
I wonder if they are rebranded OJs / come out of the same place, just to have a new or different look, but I am interested to see where they end up and how they ride.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TumKayo

« Reply #3345 on: October 28, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »
I'm starting to figure some of my gear, but still confused about wheels. Right now I have some 51mm and 53mm 101a dgk wheels, as well as 55m 78a OJ Mini Super Juice

I'm thinking of getting some 56mm wheels for transition. I want something significantly softer and grippier than 101a, but also much harder than my 78a wheels. What Durometer rating should I be looking at? 87a key frames, 97a Slime balls. In between, something 92a?

Also, a thinner 56mm park/street wheel should get less wheelbite than a wide, 56mm cruiser wheel, correct?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3346 on: October 29, 2020, 03:23:17 AM »
I'm starting to figure some of my gear, but still confused about wheels. Right now I have some 51mm and 53mm 101a dgk wheels, as well as 55m 78a OJ Mini Super Juice

I'm thinking of getting some 56mm wheels for transition. I want something significantly softer and grippier than 101a, but also much harder than my 78a wheels. What Durometer rating should I be looking at? 87a key frames, 97a Slime balls. In between, something 92a?

Also, a thinner 56mm park/street wheel should get less wheelbite than a wide, 56mm cruiser wheel, correct?

Some people might say anything under 99 is too soft for normal park skating, but the 97 or 95 duro wheels are about the lowest before they start to get soft and mushy feeling, especially if you are carving into turns.

I have 95 and 92 duro wheels for moderately slippery parks or things I don't want to slip on and the 92 are very sticky and slow down a lot more, but the 95 still keep speed without slipping out the way 101s would.

Also normal classic shaped wheels will definitely feel a lot easier than big squared off cruiser wheels and harder wheels will not stick to the board as much as softer wheels, but if you have wheelbite issues, a thin riser might help, even just 1 mm will change things a lot.  Some stickers or even a bit of rubber or something cut to fit under a truck will still do the job too.

Slimeballs in 97 are definitely good if you can get hold of them, as are other wheels like Ojs in the 95 duro which have just come out.

Not one to put down DGK wheels, but there is often a huge difference between generic or pricepoint wheels from any brand versus wheels that are actually made by a wheel company.

Lastly, wheels that are a bit wider in the riding surface will usually give you a lot more grip on the surface you are riding on than very skinny wheels, even of the same brand and duro.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3347 on: October 31, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
I'm trying to set up my 8.75 Polar football and trying to make it my fun setup. Was going to throw on some 149 forged hollow Indy or 5.8 ventures. Any wheel reconnections? Have some F4 52 classic fulls but any thoughts would help.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3348 on: October 31, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
I'm trying to set up my 8.75 Polar football and trying to make it my fun setup. Was going to throw on some 149 forged hollow Indy or 5.8 ventures. Any wheel reconnections? Have some F4 52 classic fulls but any thoughts would help.

For period correct authenticity you want small and round wheels. Your 52 Classic fulls will be great but if you can find some 50mm classics. that might go better.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #3349 on: October 31, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »

Wayward puig 52mm—

Month and a half of daily skating and they feel like spitfire classic urethane but a lil harder

TumKayo

« Reply #3350 on: October 31, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Some people might say anything under 99 is too soft for normal park skating, but the 97 or 95 duro wheels are about the lowest before they start to get soft and mushy feeling, especially if you are carving into turns.

I have 95 and 92 duro wheels for moderately slippery parks or things I don't want to slip on and the 92 are very sticky and slow down a lot more, but the 95 still keep speed without slipping out the way 101s would.

Also normal classic shaped wheels will definitely feel a lot easier than big squared off cruiser wheels and harder wheels will not stick to the board as much as softer wheels, but if you have wheelbite issues, a thin riser might help, even just 1 mm will change things a lot.  Some stickers or even a bit of rubber or something cut to fit under a truck will still do the job too.

Slimeballs in 97 are definitely good if you can get hold of them, as are other wheels like Ojs in the 95 duro which have just come out.

Not one to put down DGK wheels, but there is often a huge difference between generic or pricepoint wheels from any brand versus wheels that are actually made by a wheel company.

Lastly, wheels that are a bit wider in the riding surface will usually give you a lot more grip on the surface you are riding on than very skinny wheels, even of the same brand and duro.

I have always been cheap with wheels, and the dgks were low $20s in stock nearby when I set up my first boards in a while. This was a few weeks ago. I got another set of cheapos for $14 today and I like them better than the dgks.

I like a little extra grip, I’m thinking 92-97a will be good when I spend the money on better wheels. One of my local skate shops charges $45 for the good wheels from spitfire, bones and slimeballs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3351 on: November 01, 2020, 03:01:01 AM »

I have always been cheap with wheels, and the dgks were low $20s in stock nearby when I set up my first boards in a while. This was a few weeks ago. I got another set of cheapos for $14 today and I like them better than the dgks.

I like a little extra grip, I’m thinking 92-97a will be good when I spend the money on better wheels. One of my local skate shops charges $45 for the good wheels from spitfire, bones and slimeballs.

There were quite a few decent generic brand wheels (all had DURA ROLLER or something similar stamped into the inner area which is covered by the bearing) which I would recommend to many of the people who were not really concerned about tech or slide and just wanted reasonable wheels, which were usually a good price too.

That might actually be what you have, or something similar, which I think would do well enough, especially for a not so hard option.  They didn't slide so well when I was trying them for nose/tail/blunt slides but they also didn't flatspot much if ever and lasted for the people who rode them that I knew.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3352 on: November 01, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »

Wayward puig 52mm—

Month and a half of daily skating and they feel like spitfire classic urethane but a lil harder

I like WW, they feel just a tad softer than the F4 counterparts.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #3353 on: November 01, 2020, 06:24:16 PM »
Following up on the Pig Prime wheels.
They’re good wheels. I’m running Ándale Swiss on them which is why they feel slow, maybe. They’re good wheels and slide well.
The transparent white color gets weird but they’re pretty good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Diocletian

« Reply #3354 on: November 04, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »
Since indoor season is approaching I ordered some 54mm 92a Dogtown “smooths” and they were really sluggish and not fun at my local concrete park. Will have to save them for indoor. Put back on my 60mm 97a Dogtown’s and the fun has returned. 4 washers on the inside of each wheel, one outside, nuts flipped.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #3355 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
has anyone heard of these new "shop" wheels? does anybody know if they are good

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3356 on: November 06, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
pretty late here but peep bluetile, sanction or sohip. they’ve usually got f4s in stock

;)
There is no skate scene in GTA our local shop is a mall zumiez

F4 running 70cad right now (55 US around)

They do have a shit load of acid wheels. Anyone have experiences with them?

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #3357 on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
Been skating some Orbs Apparatons 53mm 99a (the orange and black split ones) after winning them in a giveaway. Haven’t seen too many people skating these so here’s my experience. I will be using F4s as a comparison since that what I’ve been skating for the last year.

- the shape is like a slightly more rounded radial slim
- not as smooth of a ride as F4s but still enjoyable
- a little grippier than F4s in concrete parks, slick on waxed ledges
- a lot grippier than F4s in the streets
- quick rebound in parks, not as fast as F4 but still good
- more sluggish in the streets than F4s
- haven’t flatspotted them yet and I do quite a bit of powersliding
- they cone kind of quickly, and have some slight flaking
- the color is cool :)
- they’re cheaper than F4s (they’re like 26 USD)

I haven’t tried them on metal, asphalt, or skate-lite yet so I might make an update.

I would definitely skate these again based on my experience so far. They’re distributed with Welcome, and I don’t know anything about the manufacturers so if anyone has info on that please share. I don’t think they’re better than F4s but absolutely a viable alternative. They also have a Specter shape similar to a conical full that I think I’m gonna try next.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3358 on: November 13, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
Because of F4 shortage in here in thinking about trying something different, any comments regarding OJ elites 101? I found some Milton 54mm
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #3359 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:28 PM »
Because of F4 shortage in here in thinking about trying something different, any comments regarding OJ elites 101? I found some Milton 54mm

they do not slide