Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790607 times)

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4410 on: November 27, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So Loophole also makes at least some of the Road Crew/Scram wheels, I have learned. Could be a cheaper option, especially with all the sales and those wheels being sold through major companies.

As for a wheel that will make the shittiest roads skateable, I am once again telling you to get 97a Spitfires. This wheel really solved the issue for me of the crusty northwest parking lot which will rattle your teeth loose.
[close]

Black Market has the 60mm V cut Road Crew wheels for $10 a set right now. Saw them the other day and thought they looked like NFG/Loophole wheels

https://www.blackmarketskates.com/road-crew-wheels-60mm.html
[close]

Thanks for posting that link, used their black friday code on their banner and got those for $8.50/$17 shipped. I have the 60mm V Cut in the 95a and love them, been curious about the standard NFG/Loophole formula and this deal was too good to pass up.

I ordered two sets, but got a call about ten minutes later they only have one left in stock. Woman on the phone said they’d refund the set they didn’t have, and said she’d throw in a free T-shirt too. Very good customer service. Would highly recommend black market skates. They’ve got some good stuff on sale right now.

mbam003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #4411 on: November 27, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
Are Wayward wheels Creative urethane?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4412 on: November 27, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
Damn I was too slow! Thanks for the post/idea tho!

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4413 on: November 27, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So Loophole also makes at least some of the Road Crew/Scram wheels, I have learned. Could be a cheaper option, especially with all the sales and those wheels being sold through major companies.

As for a wheel that will make the shittiest roads skateable, I am once again telling you to get 97a Spitfires. This wheel really solved the issue for me of the crusty northwest parking lot which will rattle your teeth loose.
[close]

Black Market has the 60mm V cut Road Crew wheels for $10 a set right now. Saw them the other day and thought they looked like NFG/Loophole wheels

https://www.blackmarketskates.com/road-crew-wheels-60mm.html
[close]

Thanks for posting that link, used their black friday code on their banner and got those for $8.50/$17 shipped. I have the 60mm V Cut in the 95a and love them, been curious about the standard NFG/Loophole formula and this deal was too good to pass up.
[close]

I ordered two sets, but got a call about ten minutes later they only have one left in stock. Woman on the phone said they’d refund the set they didn’t have, and said she’d throw in a free T-shirt too. Very good customer service. Would highly recommend black market skates. They’ve got some good stuff on sale right now.

Got the same call about an hour after I ordered and got a refund. A little bummed but the customer service was good. Let us know how the Road Crew wheels work out.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #4414 on: November 27, 2021, 06:18:15 PM »
Just bought a set of the Slimeball Vomit minis, 53 mm / 97A.

I had a pair of 97A conical Spits earlier this year and liked them, so I'm hyped to try out something different. Just wanted to try out different urethane and have white wheels again.

It'll be indoor skating until the end of March, so I'm curious to see how these hold up indoors. Also gluttonously bought some 95A mini-logo wheels to compare.  When I skate both sets, I'll update the thread.

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4415 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
The OJ/Santa Cruz 97a feel like a hard wheel with good grip. The 95a MiniLogo wheels feels extremely soft and sluggish.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4416 on: November 28, 2021, 02:48:24 AM »
Are Wayward wheels Creative urethane?

I think that was a yes, from what I can recall.

Also brands like Satori, SML (one type, the other is something else), Speedlab (newer ones), plus more but I cannot recall any others right this minute.

Overall really good wheels, lots of options in sizes, shapes, different urethane options too.

I am just spoilt with Spitfire Formula Four, but that is not to say that other wheels will be good to skate too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4417 on: November 28, 2021, 02:56:31 AM »
I went looking for more wheels, often seeing some good ones through Uprise instagram, then saw these ones.

Anyone know anything about them, skated them, or whatever?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4418 on: November 28, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OJ From Concentrate Hardlines
Pros: they were on sale for $15
Cons: they definitely skate like a $15 wheel

Some lucky/unlucky kid is going to get a new set of wheels for free tomorrow. Right out of the package they felt oddly soft, but still hard, somehow. They didn’t seem to want to roll and felt like I was riding across sticky ground at each of the three spots I skated. They didn’t seem to grip that well when I powerslid. They seem to be a low rebound wheel. After 23 years of skating I learned the importance, and the meaning of, “rebound”. I hadn’t skated a non-premium wheel since the Spitfire F1 came out over a decade ago. Lesson learned that I should’ve checked this thread before trying something new out
[close]

Damn that is a pain.

Were all three places on similar ground surface, bitumen, concrete, other?

I know when someone asks about a cheaper wheel, I often try to steer them away from the cheapies like this, but they still have a place in the market for juniors or beginners, with even some others I know who like them, but as you said, the board I had a roll on with them just felt weird, more than anything, but most wheels that are not Spitfire F4 seem to feel like that, a hard wheel that is not so fast but that also doesn't slide and grips a lot.

Perfect for kids though.
[close]
asphalt parking lot, sealcoated asphalt, and concrete street. I’m not going to waste my time and pretend to like them. I’ll just leave them at the skatepark
[close]

Notice when you drop your board down there is no bounce up to your feet. Thud.

The OJ wheels I had were almost dry feeling.

They felt harder than 99a but slower than 99a.

After a few sessions you feel almost every imperfection in the wheel.

OJ regular formulas are the closest wheel you can get to clay wheels.

I am sure their Nomads are better but I can’t buy any wheels from NHS when they produce such terrible wheels knowing they suck.
[close]
The Elite formula is pretty good. The Juice line and keyframes are all good for cruiser wheels. I usually stay far away from NHS in general, but OJ’s marketing got to me. I’m tempted to give NFG’s a try just to try something different

From concentrate OJs are shit. Only buy the Elites (grippier than spits be warned), they're fast and very hard.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4419 on: November 28, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »
I've got a hot take: the reissue oj formula is better than the elite.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4420 on: November 28, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Lukewarm take: OJ wheels are no good
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4421 on: November 28, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »
super juices are the only exception to this rule

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4422 on: November 28, 2021, 07:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
super juices are the only exception to this rule

Eh, I think Plain Jane keyframes would be my exception.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4423 on: November 28, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »
Fair point, their cruiser wheels are fine to good.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4424 on: November 28, 2021, 07:59:15 PM »
Fair point, their cruiser wheels are fine to good.

I think your lukewarm take was the correct one.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #4425 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
The OJ/Santa Cruz 97a feel like a hard wheel with good grip. The 95a MiniLogo wheels feels extremely soft and sluggish.

Ah, shitballs. Well...maybe the minilogos will work out regardless haha.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4426 on: November 29, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Has anyone tried Acid wheels? Black Market has the REM formula wheels for $20 right now so I’m tempted to pick up a set. The only feedback I’ve heard from skate shops is “we sell a lot of them”

trip35

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4427 on: November 29, 2021, 02:58:21 PM »
Does anybody know which shops in Europe usually get new Spitfire wheels in first? I'm after a set of these OG Fireballs from the latest drop, they're just out in the US but here in Spain we get screwed on customs importing from outside the EU. And I've given up waiting for new radial slims.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #4428 on: November 29, 2021, 03:13:15 PM »
Does anybody know which shops in Europe usually get new Spitfire wheels in first? I'm after a set of these OG Fireballs from the latest drop, they're just out in the US but here in Spain we get screwed on customs importing from outside the EU. And I've given up waiting for new radial slims.

A store called Junkyard here in Norway has got them. Don’t know if that counts as EU.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4429 on: November 29, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
Has anyone skated the 95a NFG formula?  I skated the Spitfire F4 97a conical fulls for a while in the spring and was looking at the 95a NFG v-shape for a similar crust wheel.  I’ve skated the Loophole v-shape before and enjoyed it.  Are the 95a’s still hard enough to use as an everyday street skating wheel like the Spitfire 97a durometer?

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4430 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:53 PM »
Has anyone skated the 95a NFG formula?  I skated the Spitfire F4 97a conical fulls for a while in the spring and was looking at the 95a NFG v-shape for a similar crust wheel.  I’ve skated the Loophole v-shape before and enjoyed it.  Are the 95a’s still hard enough to use as an everyday street skating wheel like the Spitfire 97a durometer?

I've currently got the 58mm 97a Conical Full on one set up and 60mm V Cut 95a NFG on another. Overall they're fairly similar, the 97a are a little harder and faster on smooth ground and the 95a are faster on crusty ground almost like a faster less mushy Keyframe. My biggest surprise was that although they kill crust, the slide is very similar to the 97a spits and in my case, they slide better even though they're softer. My local is really slick and both wheels grip great and slide great there but I found the spits grip a little better where the nfg break into a slide easier. When it comes to street skating, they slide good on ledges and are still hard enough like the spits that flatground feels normal. Overall, the 95a are definitely an awesome wheel and imo the perfect ATV wheel.

trip35

« Reply #4431 on: November 30, 2021, 03:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A store called Junkyard here in Norway has got them. Don’t know if that counts as EU.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Norway is within the EEA so no customs or tax issues, but they don't have the wheels I was after. I'll save the shop, though, looks good.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4432 on: November 30, 2021, 07:17:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've currently got the 58mm 97a Conical Full on one set up and 60mm V Cut 95a NFG on another. Overall they're fairly similar, the 97a are a little harder and faster on smooth ground and the 95a are faster on crusty ground almost like a faster less mushy Keyframe. My biggest surprise was that although they kill crust, the slide is very similar to the 97a spits and in my case, they slide better even though they're softer. My local is really slick and both wheels grip great and slide great there but I found the spits grip a little better where the nfg break into a slide easier. When it comes to street skating, they slide good on ledges and are still hard enough like the spits that flatground feels normal. Overall, the 95a are definitely an awesome wheel and imo the perfect ATV wheel.

Thanks for the detailed response!  That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.  I really like the shape and width of the Loophole v-shape but I find them to be a little bumpy/unforgiving on rough ground and sometimes unexpectedly sticky on slides for how hard they are.  Figured I might as well just get a softer wheel in what looks to be the same shape and it sounds like the NFG 95a might be just that. 

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4433 on: November 30, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the detailed response!  That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.  I really like the shape and width of the Loophole v-shape but I find them to be a little bumpy/unforgiving on rough ground and sometimes unexpectedly sticky on slides for how hard they are.  Figured I might as well just get a softer wheel in what looks to be the same shape and it sounds like the NFG 95a might be just that.

I've got the NFG 95a crust wheels, and can vouch for them.  They feel grippy and excellent for plowing through debris, but at the same time they feel hard and fast and slide better than I expected.  If you're a wheel graphics lover you'll have to get over it though, the print flakes off within minutes.  Doesn't bother me one bit but someone out there might, maybe?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4434 on: December 01, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
(I hate back to back posting but whatever)

Who's got a 50mm wide wheel they really like?  My fat ass is trying to ride this setup without risers for once and the 54s are wheel biting like mad. 

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4435 on: December 01, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »
Curious if anyone is picky about what wheels work best for slappies? I definitely noticed that tablets suck, and it made me wonder if there's an ideal shape (hell, and size?). I'd guess big wheels roll over the edge better, but most slappy guys seem to run relatively small wheels...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4436 on: December 01, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »
I like Tablets for slappies. They lock in great. Conical fulls also. Classics will roll over a curb really nice but won't lock as well. It is nice to have a bit of bite from a wider wheel for grip on a hard carve upon entry.  But I honestly feel any wheel can work for slappies with a few minor adjustments.

trip35

« Reply #4437 on: December 02, 2021, 01:50:57 AM »
Who's got a 50mm wide wheel they really like?  My fat ass is trying to ride this setup without risers for once and the 54s are wheel biting like mad.

Maybe Spitfire Lil Smokies Formula Four, either the tablets or OG classics? They do a 50mm. The tablets aren't wide but the contact patch is, and they're a good price for F4s.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4438 on: December 02, 2021, 02:34:08 AM »
Curious if anyone is picky about what wheels work best for slappies? I definitely noticed that tablets suck, and it made me wonder if there's an ideal shape (hell, and size?). I'd guess big wheels roll over the edge better, but most slappy guys seem to run relatively small wheels...

Conical fulls

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4439 on: December 02, 2021, 07:22:35 AM »
With the obvious caveat that you will probably get used to anything, I back conical wheels, 100%. Going back after skating Spitfire Classics, I was able to lock into every trick much easier.