Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778018 times)

LeDave and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
SML wheels are great. Wheels are on par with F4 Spitfire's.

Riding a Youness one now, going to set-up these Suciu ones after.

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2015, 02:52:34 AM »
I got a set of OJ's I'm going to set up next but has anyone tried pig wheels lately. I can't imagine they are that great but you never know.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »
I got a set of OJ's I'm going to set up next but has anyone tried pig wheels lately. I can't imagine they are that great but you never know.
Every set of pigs I've had felt really good. Not the most durable wheel, but they feel damn good.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Every set of pigs I've had felt really good. Not the most durable wheel, but they feel damn good.

May have to give them a shot next then. Someone told me they liked these speedline wheels below. I have no clue as to what is different about the speedlines from the rest of their wheels though.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:48 AM »

I've had these for a month now. Even though i asked someone on the set-up thread about how they are and got a bad reviews like flat spotting real quick. I didn't seem to come across that issue yet but i did however noticed that they're kind of wearing out really quickly. I also notice that when i took them off my trucks to swap the bearings out, one of the wheels seems to have a loose core that the bearing just drops right off from it. idk if that's a defect but hopefully it won't actually bring any issue when it's actually on the trucks altogether.

I really like them though. Really smooth transitioning on the curb for slappy's and wallies.

BMCsteve

« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
Words cannot express how much I love Tired.  Wheels and bearings for $25. 

"The new Tired™ wheel set is now available for sale! Wheels come with bearings for all the Tired™ people out there who hate that whole "Put the bearings in the wheels yourself" process. Bearing guaranteed not too fast! "

http://shop.bigtimedistribution.com/collections/tired/products/tired-wheelset-52mm-and-54mm

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
^^^
Hah! That's actually pretty neat. I would definitely fuck with those if I found them at a shop down here.
I had some skate mental wheels a few years back (the ones with the corona graphic that came with six wheels instead of four) and I really liked the way they felt. I'm assuming the tired wheels would be the same since they're under the same distro as skate mental.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
^^^
Hah! That's actually pretty neat. I would definitely fuck with those if I found them at a shop down here.
I had some skate mental wheels a few years back (the ones with the corona graphic that came with six wheels instead of four) and I really liked the way they felt. I'm assuming the tired wheels would be the same since they're under the same distro as skate mental.
I had the some ones. Loved em

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »
Picked up a set of the Ricta NRG 53 Sandovals + Indy Black bearings.

Bearings appear and feel to be of high quality, black casing, red inner (one bearing comes with a shield off so you can see the labyrinth/grit blocking cage; when you take them out there is a shield with little instructions where you just removed the bearing telling you to pop it in.

- Bearings are super quiet and smooth time will tell how they hold up

- Wheels come 'stone ground' like Pi Wheels do, what that means is that the riding surface has no tread (yay) and they are not smooth, they have a coarse texture to them so on first skate they felt already broken in.

- They're hard (duh) but not teeth rattling like chrome cores (my driveway isn't the best for sliding and I'm sick so did't put them through any real terrain yet)

- They're light (like most rictas that aren't the optix which felt more like OJs in weight and ride), yes weight doesn't matter but these really feel light in your hand, my last set of speed rings felt the same way as if they aren't as dense somehow.

- They slide and chirp great - feel like Rictas, they don't feel like STFs or F4s.

- Shape-wise they resemble the Autobahn classic shape, not too thin, not too wide, like a slightly narrower STF V2

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:35:38 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
I've been thinking about picking up a set of the Westgate NRG wheels.  They have a super slim profile which I did.  Even thinner than STF V3

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
Xen - interested to hear how those Ricta work for you. Also be interested to see the shape profile. It's been years since I've skated a set. I know a lot of dudes swear by them, but they were too hard for me. Rattled my teeth out of my head!  ;D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
Xen - interested to hear how those Ricta work for you. Also be interested to see the shape profile. It's been years since I've skated a set. I know a lot of dudes swear by them, but they were too hard for me. Rattled my teeth out of my head!  ;D

52mm 101a f4 classic - 53mm 99a f4 classic - 53mm 101a ricta

They're definitely a hard wheel @81b that puts them at what, 101a? I loved my chrome cores but had bad luck with my speedrings.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Wow, those wheels are white as fuck, hah.
Only set of rictas I've ever had lasted me for ages. I think they were just the naturals. I liked them a lot.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2015, 12:59:51 PM »
Wow, those wheels are white as fuck, hah.
Only set of rictas I've ever had lasted me for ages. I think they were just the naturals. I liked them a lot.

My last set of Rictas stayed bright white forever, even after skating dirtyass ditches.

They've a bad rap for flatspotting with previous pours and they don't market themselves like Spit or Bones; I've always liked the way the feel.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »
^^^
Yeah I remember the set I had took forever to turn yellow. They finally started to yellow a few months down the road.
And I never flatspotted mine, but then again I've never been big on powerslides. I do however like to do reverts on a decent number of tricks that I do, especially tricks that involve some type of rotation, and I've flat spotted quite a few sets of wheels doing so in the past, but the rictas were good til the end, so that's kinda saying something about their quality I guess. They eventually just got too small to skate for me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:20:35 AM by Noble Experiment »

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
Words cannot express how much I love Tired.  Wheels and bearings for $25. 

"The new Tired� wheel set is now available for sale! Wheels come with bearings for all the Tired� people out there who hate that whole "Put the bearings in the wheels yourself" process. Bearing guaranteed not too fast! "

http://shop.bigtimedistribution.com/collections/tired/products/tired-wheelset-52mm-and-54mm

Those bearings look like straight dookie

BMCsteve

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
I've been switching wheels around a lot lately but nothing has been faster or slid better than Autobahn's Ultra Formula.  The cores are rock hard and rough on bad pavement but it's worth it

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
Hell yeah Steve! Glad to hear they are working out for you. Autobahn is consistently good across their catalog.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
i used to love autobahn but then got sucked into the whole stf and now f4's... i really want spitfire to make a lock-in shape f4. i would consider those autobahn ultras though.

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2015, 05:49:21 AM »
http://tastewheels.bigcartel.com/product/sunday-combo
riding this
Wide shape/conical
perfect

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2015, 05:30:18 AM »

First set of Satoris.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thing is my last set of OJs (strubings) felt a little 'dead', still hard, they slid, they weren't slow but compared to Bones/Spits/Ricta they felt a bit sluggish.
[close]

That's how I felt about my 99 OJs. I loved the shape, the rebound was just how I like but they always felt a bit sluggish. Like maybe they did not carry speed as well as some other wheels.
[close]

My Strubings were 101a, I dumped them at a park =D
[close]
with the lego guys @ balboa park? if so, those wheels provided hella stoke for the month or two that i rode them for.

I just gave away my OJs for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:40:22 AM by clamy »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
Good looks Clamy. Interested to hear how they work out for you. I had the Guru Khalsa in 54 and a little bit wider shape, but same 80B duro. Love the slim profile of those Montoya.

And I was just saying to Xen - I was skating a brand new set of SML Herrington Wides and totally slid out and ate shit. I love SML wheels, but damn if they don't make me nervous at times bc they are so slick. I went back to a set of Autobahn.

N.L.

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »

Been riding these Pi wheels the past couple of months. Might not come small enough for some of you. Holding up really well. Super durable, no flat spots, great shape, cored (if you like that sort of thing). If you're a park shark I'd recommend them but they are not so hot on the streets.

I prefer them to SPFs (much better all-round wheels than Bones) but don't like them as much as Spitfire F4s. I have to kill these PIs off before I'm back on the Spitfires but they are refusing to die quickly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:54:39 PM by N.L. »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »

Been riding these Pi wheels the past couple of months. Might not come small enough for some of you. Holding up really well. Super durable, no flat spots, great shape, cored (if you like that sort of thing). If you're a park shark I'd recommend them but they are not so hot on the streets.

I prefer them to SPFs (much better all-round wheels than Bones) but don't like them as much as Spitfire F4s. I have to kill these PIs off before I'm back on the Spitfires but they are refusing to die quickly.
I have some 59.5mm I got from his black friday special.  I can't wait to skate those next.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Pi wheels are awesome! I still run my 56.5s from time to time. A bit slower than STFs but with more grip at speed.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »
Holy shit!
Satori Nug core technology - "We are proud to announce that some of our wheels come with an extra treat in the cores. All you’ve gotta do is power slide your way to happiness. Currently only available in Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon."

louie_bk

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
Holy shit!
Satori Nug core technology - "We are proud to announce that some of our wheels come with an extra treat in the cores. All you�ve gotta do is power slide your way to happiness. Currently only available in Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon."

April Fools

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
Yep 80b would be around 100a.

That said, the AB thane seems softer and grippier to me. I just came off a set and while they were hard and chirped well, they felt slow (52mm) and didn't keep speed all that well; the 83b felt better than the the 99a and dual duros I've skated in the past.

I like to slide, I powerslide all the time at speed since forever so I'm used to handling it so wheels like SML/F4 101s or STFs are right up my alley as want them to slide to the point of breaking loose.

BMCsteve

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »
Picked up some Ricta wheels with their new NRG formula.  These are the 52mm Westgates.  Super slim / tablet style shape.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:35 AM »
what's the deal with Wayward Wheels?  Are they ever going to be available anywhere?
hardly art, hardly starving