Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777660 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
Maybe I'll give the Bones a shot sometime once my leg has healed up and I've ran out of Formula Fours. I doubt they'll be any good for the crusty streets here though.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #571 on: April 02, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Maybe I'll give the Bones a shot sometime once my leg has healed up and I've ran out of Formula Fours. I doubt they'll be any good for the crusty streets here though.
I prefer bones stf's over f4's,there isn't that much difference between those two but I still like my bones little bit more as they being more grippy. Not sure what you meant by saying that you doubt for bones being any good for our shitty asphalt, they are as good as formula fours? If you want smooth ride here in Finland you have to have soft wheels under 90a duro and both f4's and stf's are hard as rock .... i tried both 99 and 101 f4' and ended up skating bones stf's again....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:07:56 PM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #572 on: April 02, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=82118.msg2627268#msg2627268 date=1491163568
Expand Quote
[close]
I prefer bones stf's over f4's,there isn't that much difference between those two but I still like my bones little bit more as they being more grippy. Not sure what you meant by saying that you doubt for bones being any good for our shitty asphalt, they are as good as formula fours? If you want smooth ride here in Finland you have to have soft wheels under 90a duro and both f4's and stf's are hard as rock .... i tried both 99 and 101 f4' and ended up skating bones stf's again....

The guys were suggesting that they are better for rough terrain than Formula Fours and I was just stating that I don't think they'd work nicely here at all like you just confirmed. I've got 86A Keyframes on my other set up for a smoother ride and I just set up a cruiser with 78A Ricta Clouds to have an even smoother ride when my leg is good enough for skating again.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #573 on: April 02, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
Hey guys, I'm here trying to choose between a set of OJ's Insaneathane and this new Croupie brand. They are priced the same (the OJ's are on sale) so I'm kinda divided. Safest bet would be probably the OJ's but I also would love to give Tiago Lemos, Carlos Ribeiro and friends some money...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #574 on: April 02, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
Hey guys, I'm here trying to choose between a set of OJ's Insaneathane and this new Croupie brand. They are priced the same (the OJ's are on sale) so I'm kinda divided. Safest bet would be probably the OJ's but I also would love to give Tiago Lemos, Carlos Ribeiro and friends some money...

Trust me with this, OJ insane a thane feel like a slower bones stf, so get the croupie. I heard they're pretty legit.
yes

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #575 on: April 02, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trust me with this, OJ insane a thane feel like a slower bones stf, so get the croupie. I heard they're pretty legit.

Actually after making the post I just said fuck it and went with the Crupie ones! If they are good enough for Tiago, who rides rough brazilian ground, then they're good for me.  :)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #576 on: April 02, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Actually after making the post I just said fuck it and went with the Crupie ones! If they are good enough for Tiago, who rides rough brazilian ground, then they're good for me.  :)
Better choice. I went for the 101a 54mm e-z shape. Slippery as hell in the beginning but now they feel slow and are a drag to slide.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2017, 11:28:31 PM »
on my second set of spitfires and a major problem is that the bearings are hard to remove and put in.

are rictas better?

if not, what brands are good for this purpose?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #578 on: April 03, 2017, 02:43:28 AM »
on my second set of spitfires and a major problem is that the bearings are hard to remove and put in.

are rictas better?

Bones stf's, sometimes bearings just fall off when you remove wheels from axle.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #579 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=82118.msg2627490#msg2627490 date=1491212608
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]

Bones stf all the way
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #580 on: April 03, 2017, 06:08:22 AM »
does anyone skate oj's as their main street wheel? seems like a really unpopular choice? I guess they make their money of those keyframe wheels and cruisers

rails

« Reply #581 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=82118.msg2627490#msg2627490 date=1491212608
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]
[close]

Bones stf all the way

this is annoying of me but i also won't do bones since the only bones i can find are 100 and up durometer and i want 99. any wheel brands that are good for bearing maintenance that are 99 ?

rails

« Reply #582 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]
[close]

Bones stf all the way
[close]

this is annoying of me but i also won't do bones since the only bones i can find are 100 and up durometer and i want 99. any wheel brands that are good for bearing maintenance that are 99 ?

does anyone have experience with the ricta nyjah gold core white 53mm in regards to bearing input and output?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #583 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]
[close]

Bones stf all the way
[close]

[close]

does anyone have experience with the ricta nyjah gold core white 53mm in regards to bearing input and output?
Not with those specific wheels but my rictas were the biggest pain in the ass to get my bearings in and out of.

rails

« Reply #584 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]
[close]

Bones stf all the way
[close]

[close]

[close]
Not with those specific wheels but my rictas were the biggest pain in the ass to get my bearings in and out of.

thanmks for the input. what rictas do u have?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: April 03, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
I had the 53mm Park Crushers. My favorite wheel ever that they don't make anymore. They were 83b instead of 81b.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #586 on: April 03, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
does anyone skate oj's as their main street wheel? seems like a really unpopular choice? I guess they make their money of those keyframe wheels and cruisers

Trust, the insane a thane 101 feel about like a bones stf but they're slow, you gotta push and push and push to get anywhere. They're not bad feeling they're just annoyingly slow.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are rictas better?

[close]
[close]

Bones stf all the way
[close]

There was a thing somewhere(I think that ratvision skate videos guy) who said that the durometer of a wheel doesn't do justice, it's the formula. It's true too cause I swear my stf are smoother and softer than my spit classic 99a, the classics are so slick and stiff
yes

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #587 on: April 03, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
Absolutely, formula means a lot more than durometer. Bones stf's feel softer than 99a F4's too..

OJ's formula is hard and slow. Even their 92a ditch witches feel as hard as F4s. Shits all fucked up. My favourite formula is still 101a F4, it just feels right. I like bones but they're almost too easy to slide

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #588 on: April 03, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
I've been into soft wheels lately, I had some ricta clouds, the 86a ones and they were a little too soft and bouncy, plus they were super wide and just felt really bulky.  I switched up to some Autobahn Torus 54's, they're 90a and feel just right so far.  Thinner and grippy, softer than most wheels without feeling like a longboard. 

rails

« Reply #589 on: April 03, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
I've been into soft wheels lately, I had some ricta clouds, the 86a ones and they were a little too soft and bouncy, plus they were super wide and just felt really bulky.  I switched up to some Autobahn Torus 54's, they're 90a and feel just right so far.  Thinner and grippy, softer than most wheels without feeling like a longboard. 

Regarding the Autobahn Torus 54s, are bearings reasonably easy to install and take out? Thank you for the commentary.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #590 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
I haven't had any problems taking out the bearings.  Usually harder wheels are tougher for me to pull them out of, but these ones are a little more flexible.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #591 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Regarding the Autobahn Torus 54s, are bearings reasonably easy to install and take out? Thank you for the commentary.

Dude, the bearings being hard to set up/remove is a good thing! It means that they will fit nice and snug in the wheel and you will not have any issues with the bearing socket slackening. You are probably using a wrong technique. I don't know much about longboard wheels but regarding the regular street skating ones that I have been using all my life, if you have a decent set of wheels it should be impossible to install the bearings using only pressure from your fingertips. You have to set the board sideways, place a bearing on the trucks and use your body weight to slam the wheel down.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #592 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
I'm a fan of the OJ insane-a-thane (stupid marketing be damned), hardline shape. I don't find them slow at all compared to STFs in a park setting, quite the opposite; SPF over OJs in park all day tho. They 'regular' OJs are slow and soft in parks but feel just fine on regular street, like wayward and f4s.

STFs still feel weird tho.

rails

« Reply #593 on: April 04, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
[...] bearing socket slackening. [...]

some bearing socket slack is good for cushioning impact

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: April 04, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
Nah man. You want your bearings to be nice and snug in your wheel.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #595 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, especially if you fill the gaps with felt
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #596 on: April 05, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I'm thinking g about getting crupie's. Team/overall vibe are sick! Anyone have these?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #597 on: April 05, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
I'm thinking g about getting crupie's. Team/overall vibe are sick! Anyone have these?

You could just wait until four people get a set and beg for their fifth wheels.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #598 on: April 05, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
Pretty sure someone here just got some, maybe in the recent purchases thread
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

rails

« Reply #599 on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, especially if you fill the gaps with felt

haha.. im gonna coin a term here "bearing feel" basically i always rode the cheapest stock wheels until my most recent two sets which were spitfires.. classics and bigheads.. bearings fit a lot tighter into these and the wheels are more noticeable. but in having the wheels more noticeable u lose some bearing feel that comes with the socket slack.