Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777589 times)

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #690 on: July 07, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey is it me or do bearing spacers slow you down ? They silent the roll but make your wheels slower.

Went back to try my favorite spit classic 99a this time without bearing spacers and they rolled way smoother and faster.

I think the hype on spacers was only with the race reds
[close]

Spacers are for longboarders who regularly go past 60mph.

Spacers play a big part in getting optimal performance out of your bearings dont play yourselves by not using them

https://stokedskateboards.com/knowledge-base/why-bearing-spacers-really-matter.html

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #691 on: July 07, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey is it me or do bearing spacers slow you down ? They silent the roll but make your wheels slower.

Went back to try my favorite spit classic 99a this time without bearing spacers and they rolled way smoother and faster.

I think the hype on spacers was only with the race reds
[close]

Spacers are for longboarders who regularly go past 60mph.
[close]

Spacers play a big part in getting optimal performance out of your bearings dont play yourselves by not using them

https://stokedskateboards.com/knowledge-base/why-bearing-spacers-really-matter.html

Every example pic used a longboard wheel,

Point to zimmer
yes

jums

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -50
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #692 on: July 07, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
from s and b

"Spacers allow you to avoid torsional load that causes bearings to blow out or seize. They also aid in keeping the bearings true for ultimate performance which also means they will last longer as they are not being subjected to undue stresses."

"Everyone who knows what a spacer does uses them. I always use them. They also help keep your bearings from unseating?if the spacer is the correct dimensions. "

That said I have never had an issue with my bearings since I started using spacers 12 years ago, but prior to... my bearings never lasted one month.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #693 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
Spacers are the truth.

Been riding OJ's regular formula 99 and 101. I like them. I like Spitfire F4 too, just felt like a change. OJ's have great shapes.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #694 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »
from s and b

"Spacers allow you to avoid torsional load that causes bearings to blow out or seize. They also aid in keeping the bearings true for ultimate performance which also means they will last longer as they are not being subjected to undue stresses."

"Everyone who knows what a spacer does uses them. I always use them. They also help keep your bearings from unseating?if the spacer is the correct dimensions. "

That said I have never had an issue with my bearings since I started using spacers 12 years ago, but prior to... my bearings never lasted one month.

Truth

IHOP

« Reply #695 on: July 09, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »
Did anybody catch those a-symmetrical wheels Jim Thiebaud had on his insta story the other day?  Half conical Half straight/flat cut, were nicknamed "lock-ins" and said they were coming out to shops soon.  Don't know how I feel about it, anybody ever skated (not just cruised) a-symmetrical wheels?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #696 on: July 09, 2017, 06:17:10 AM »
i've been skating the 54mm version of those for most of the year : https://consumestore.com/product/pillo-wheel-gang-deep-gurners-52mm-and-54mm

i don't know how familiar people on here might be with pillo wheels, they're a really small operation out of (old, not new) jersey, the british islands sandwiched in between the uk and france - luka pinto and glen fox ride for them, so maybe some of you will recognize the logo.

from the perspective of someone usually inclined toward spitfire wheels & bones stf's, i have to say those have been great to me. a lot of the spots and streets i skate are quite rough (old europe type of rough), despite which i usually stick to the hardest wheels i can find because i like doing reverts and lipslides and, instead, resort to larger wheels (54-56mm) in order to make up for the discomfort on the rough ground. those particular pillo's have some extra width which made everything feel a lot smoother in those regards. they slide less than the 101a's i'm generally used to, but perform well still, feeling more like 99a's (especially after some wear).

not many people skate those wheels (apparently the whole jersey scene is like 10 skaters) but seeing as some rad underground dudes rep them, i reckoned some of you might have seen the name float around in videos and the like, so i thought i'd comment on what the product is like.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #697 on: July 09, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Are Bones 54mm OG 100's V4 Wheels (100A) good for skating a bit of everything (mostly rugged)? I don't know shit about wheels specs and I just don't want to spend 40+ pounds.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #698 on: July 09, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
any opinions on pig wheels? i found some for cheap, thinking about getting them but i'm not sure
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #699 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
Did anybody catch those a-symmetrical wheels Jim Thiebaud had on his insta story the other day?  Half conical Half straight/flat cut, were nicknamed "lock-ins" and said they were coming out to shops soon.  Don't know how I feel about it, anybody ever skated (not just cruised) a-symmetrical wheels?

So they're making F4 versions of these?

If they're as wide as conical fulls i'd give them a shot

IHOP

« Reply #700 on: July 09, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea looked like that, graphic was sick it was a half swirl with "LOCK-INS" in old english, red and black

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #701 on: July 09, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yea looked like that, graphic was sick it was a half swirl with "LOCK-INS" in old english, red and black
Old shape, better graphic on it...sorry for size
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #702 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »
any opinions on pig wheels? i found some for cheap, thinking about getting them but i'm not sure

Pigs are like a harder spit classic I feel. They have that feel like a classic but some some hardness that isn't that good feeling and is only there for durability. Cause you know flat spots and harder wheels are supposed to be faster

Bones 100 are ok but I wouldn't say they're worth it. Oddly I prefer mini logo over bones 100. They aren't the same formula even though they're both pp wheels from skate one. Mini logo feel almost exactly like a spit classic while bones 100 feel like a standard hard wheel with grip.
yes

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #703 on: July 10, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
I wish so dearly that DLX made 60mm+ F4s. Can anybody recommend a bigger wheel that slides as well as an F4 or even close
 to it?

We make F499 Classic Shape in 60mm!!

Email me please, [email protected]

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #704 on: July 10, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
idk about asymmetrical wheels

I have a tendency to flip them now and again so they don't cone out.

I do kinda like the idea of having two ways to run the same pair of wheels though

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #705 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
the wheels i have on my cruiser are the bones rough riders i love them but the plastic core is starting to come apart. its been a year so i guess that's understandable but i'd like to find a wheel much like the rough rider but without the fused plastic core. any suggestions?

for my main board i ride bones stf v3 50mm and i love them but i flatspotted them reverting a 180 off a ramp

even the steven

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #706 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
Would it make sense to do a wheelshop thread?  How many factories are making wheels....how different are the formulas?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #707 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Would it make sense to do a wheelshop thread?  How many factories are making wheels....how different are the formulas?

Would be interesting to see which brands come from the same factories. Crupie claims they can offer a premium wheel at a lower cost than other brands because they obtain everything straight from the source. I wonder if that same factory is doing other brands too and how much of an actual difference there is between the smaller wheel brands. Bones & spitfire obviously have their own formulas and all the marketing for them but do you guys think that there's other wheels out that are more or less the same formulas just with different branding?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #708 on: July 16, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would be interesting to see which brands come from the same factories. Crupie claims they can offer a premium wheel at a lower cost than other brands because they obtain everything straight from the source. I wonder if that same factory is doing other brands too and how much of an actual difference there is between the smaller wheel brands. Bones & spitfire obviously have their own formulas and all the marketing for them but do you guys think that there's other wheels out that are more or less the same formulas just with different branding?

There can't be more than four or five big formulas (not counting all the price-point type stuff). Bones, spitfire, ricta, OJ, Powell.. All seem pretty distinct.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #709 on: July 16, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
Don't forget about the worlds greatest urethane from wreck wheels, backed by testing in every category except the sales category.

So far formula fours are taking the market with bones second and OJ on the rise and ricta then maybe croupie or sml or whoever I'm forgetting
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #710 on: July 16, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
I remember being convinced satoris were the best....those Ipaths went straight to my head....like when people on here say prize fighters! Small!  Autobahn!  They don't have their own factory and I bet there are only a few.....who's got the knowledge? 

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #711 on: July 16, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
J Soy - I'd love to know that myself. With as much into the smaller wheel cos as I am, I don't know how many urethane shops there really are. My guess is not many.

There also seems to be some variation within the same company. I had a set of SML Garcia wides that were like skating on banana peels then I had SML Knox V-Cut that were like skating on soft bubblegum, and both were listed as 99A.

rathernotwalk

• Rep: 1
« Reply #712 on: July 16, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Trying out some speedlab 56 mm 97a side cut (ace pelka model)
Pretty grippy but slide surprisingly well. About as forgiving as stf on rough terrain, but without that rock hard plastic feeling.
I'll try and remember to mention how they do on some slick tranny, if my wrist ever fucking heals.
Really disappointed in how quick my spf clears are wearing down, is that just the clear or are the white formula more resistant?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #713 on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
I swear this was already in this thread, it's dated but some is still good to go by:

and the updated list:
AEND pours:
abec11
neversummer
newer/some sector9
3dm/seismic
comet
ultra (rollerblade wheels)
bennett
BDS

Labeda pours:
earthwing purethane, and black 76 and 66 superballs
dregs
the new landyachtz hawgs
oust wheels
bustin
GFH
Loaded/Otang
some Lush
new gravity wheels
System Martin wheels (TLS)

Creative Urethane
rainskates
earthwing slide a's
autobahn
lush
sk8kings
manx/pps
poolking
tunnel
conspiracy
Speedlab
PPS
Skaterbuilt
NHS
Cowboy Punk
Better
Deathbox
Foundation
Toy Machine
Chetah
Black Label
Madrid

Bravo Corp
gravity
kryptonics
landyachtz
some sector 9
Xero wheels (italian brand)
(all 8mm race cores)
Pig
Senate
World Industries wheels
Barbie/Spongebob/Dora and other character boards

Mearthane
Road Rider
OJ
Ricta
Bullet
Crime
Madrid

Moska
moska
viking (european wheels)

Electric Urethane (from Australia)
Coretech
Electro
Pointblank

In-House Pours
Spitfire
Powell/Surf One

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #714 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
add polar, plan b, element  and 90% of all deck brands to creative

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #715 on: July 16, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
add SML to AEND.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #716 on: July 16, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
Does anyone know how good is Bones with their warranties for stfs? Got a pretty noticeable flatspot that I can't seem to get rid of. Only the third session on these too.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #717 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
^I was able to get a set of atf's replaced for me, after having them for over a year. A chunk came out of the wheel somehow. I sent them in, they sent some new ones back. The whole process took about a month or longer. U just have to inquire about it online & wait for a response (or call customer service?).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #718 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
^I was able to get a set of atf's replaced for me, after having them for over a year. A chunk came out of the wheel somehow. I sent them in, they sent some new ones back. The whole process took about a month or longer. U just have to inquire about it online & wait for a response (or call customer service?).

Good to know, thank you. Sent in an inquiry via their website so hopefully all works out well.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #719 on: July 17, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
I remember being convinced satoris were the best....those Ipaths went straight to my head....like when people on here say prize fighters! Small!
haha, I had a good laugh at I-paths going to your head. PFC are decent wheels though. Funny story about them; my wife has a set of them on her board that I used to rock and it seems like they've gotten really sticky with age. I tried to power slide on them the other day and nearly ate shit so hard

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year