Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778063 times)

fleabagmatt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

birdplops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #840 on: October 28, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Skate it. I bet its just a minor blemish.

Got them replaced- Good lads at Note in Manchester.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #841 on: October 29, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been wanting to get some formula 4's, is there a difference for real from 99a and 101 duromater?
[close]

99s are noticeably smoother on rough ground, 101s slide just a wee bit more. Both really good
Word I'm in Alabama and most of the ground besides the park and downtown  is pretty rough so I'm def going with the 99a

Vigo the Carpathian

« Reply #842 on: October 29, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
Those Clones are pretty nice. Fast.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #843 on: October 29, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »
I've been wanting to get some formula 4's, is there a difference for real from 99a and 101 duromater?

the 101's are way more slippery. i skate a lot of marble surfaces so the 99 ones are perfect. i tried the 101s after using the 99 classics and they felt too slippery so i had to go back to the 99s
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #844 on: October 30, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
Dear Slap,

I got some new spitfires, but there is this mark on one. The surface is smooth but it looks like a crack- send it back or skate it?

Email me please!

[email protected]

daysbeneathwaves

« Reply #845 on: October 30, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
Those Clones are pretty nice. Fast.

Completely agree! I got the 54mm Chromosome Conical shaped ones and couldn't believe how fast yet seemingly forgiving on cracks and rough pavement they are! They're a little on the grippy side for a 101A but still slide nice and work well on the metal ramps at my park. After getting three defective sets of F4's in a row I decided to go a different route for my park/street wheels and I'm glad I did as I'm really enjoying them! They seem really well made too, no flatspots or chipping/chunking as of yet. They're only $25 on Tactics.

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/clone-chromosome-skateboard-wheels/white-light-blue-101a

daysbeneathwaves

« Reply #846 on: October 30, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
If you're in the market for an "in-between" wheel that isn't slow as molasses or as bouncy as a superball then I can't recommend these enough! Been skating them for about two years on my "Who knows what I'm gonna be skating?" setup. They're 92A but have a hard plastic core so they actually go go go instead of mushing out around the bearings like Spitfire SoftD's do. 92A is what I used to skate as a street wheel when I was a kid in the 80's so "power-sliding" a 92A wheel is business as usual for me but if you always skate harder wheels you may have to put a bit more "power" into it than you're used to when initiating a slide. You aren't going to be doing a lot of blunt slides with these but Slappies and Board-Slides or similar tricks can be accomplished pretty easily. I skate these on a metal mini-ramp a lot and they work pretty well there too. They also handle cracks and pebbles quite nicely.

If you want a hybrid wheel that you can cruise quickly over most terrains with but not be completely out of luck should you end up at a park or a nice ditch then this wheel is the perfect compromise between hard and soft while staying fast! Tactics usually has them but they seem to be out of stock right now so you can get them on the Sml site. Hope this helps someone!

https://www.smlwheels.com/shop/succulent-big-dreams-54mm-92a-1

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #847 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:38 PM »
Been skating more tranny and was thinking about separate park board . Any recomendations on wheels . I figured this would be more of a dual use cruiser/ tranny setup so something that’s works well for both would be ideal. Thanks pals
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #848 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
81b SPF's or 99a formula 4's no?

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #849 on: November 07, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
Has anyone skated Ghetto Child since they relaunched the brand? Are the wheels any good?

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #850 on: November 07, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you took STF and F4 urethane and mixed it together? Would you create the ultimate wheel?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #851 on: November 07, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
Been skating more tranny and was thinking about separate park board . Any recomendations on wheels . I figured this would be more of a dual use cruiser/ tranny setup so something that’s works well for both would be ideal. Thanks pals
Not sure if you mean outdoor concrete or wood ramps, but I have a set of 58mm bones skatepark formula that I skate at the dreamland park, and it's pretty fun to be able to just cruise around basically as fast as you want. I skate them on indy 159 forged, with no risers on the 8.88 creature shape with a 15" wheelbase.  I probably wouldn't have gotten the wheels, but skatewarehouse had them for like $16 last spring, and I'm pretty hyped on that setup for concrete. I skate 55-56mm stf everywhere else, including masonite.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #852 on: November 07, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »

Are you good at carving? I'm only asking as a park wheel and a cruiser wheel are/can be totally different.

Park wheels are usually hard, would recommend SPFs, the P5 shape. Cruiser wheels or softer wheels, I seen old guys rocking them in bowls all the time (hell Alva still does), I can't do it tho, you have to go BIG on the mms to compensate for the soft thane...they're also really grippy.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #853 on: November 07, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you took STF and F4 urethane and mixed it together? Would you create the ultimate wheel?

No.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: November 07, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you good at carving? I'm only asking as a park wheel and a cruiser wheel are/can be totally different.

Park wheels are usually hard, would recommend SPFs, the P5 shape. Cruiser wheels or softer wheels, I seen old guys rocking them in bowls all the time (hell Alva still does), I can't do it tho, you have to go BIG on the mms to compensate for the soft thane...they're also really grippy.

I don't even really like having soft wheels for cruisers because they are hard to slide on....which is why I recommended something just a hair softer to take the edge off.....the bones SPF while still really hard the stickiness just gives you that less plastic feel.....I think the 99 spits are up the same alley....

Get something wide.....the bones make fireballs and spits have conical.....

I get the idea of the board....I usually ride an 8' w. Tablet wheels but a wider 8.5 w. Slightly softer, bigger and wider wheels...to ride on tranny and back alleys makes sense....a good board to have around....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't even really like having soft wheels for cruisers because they are hard to slide on....which is why I recommended something just a hair softer to take the edge off.....the bones SPF while still really hard the stickiness just gives you that less plastic feel.....I think the 99 spits are up the same alley....

Get something wide.....the bones make fireballs and spits have conical.....

I get the idea of the board....I usually ride an 8' w. Tablet wheels but a wider 8.5 w. Slightly softer, bigger and wider wheels...to ride on tranny and back alleys makes sense....a good board to have around....

I've tried so many duros and wheel types to get a cruiser wheel that can slide and still take the bumps out...I've not succeeded (then again I also live in a part of LA with some of the roughest fucking roads and jankiest sidewalks around all littered with fucking hard berries and shit); it's for that reason I use Powells Rough Riders, plenty fast and smooth but not slidey.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #856 on: November 08, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »
Powell sent me more or less the rough riders formula but no hub in a traditional shape and I like em but they are too soft to feel good doing ollies and such....I have them on my zip zinger and love em...

ceruleanalien

« Reply #857 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
I've tried so many duros and wheel types to get a cruiser wheel that can slide and still take the bumps out...I've not succeeded (then again I also live in a part of LA with some of the roughest fucking roads and jankiest sidewalks around all littered with fucking hard berries and shit); it's for that reason I use Powells Rough Riders, plenty fast and smooth but not slidey.

Try the Powell G-Slides 85A wheels. Same exact size as the Rough Riders but they actually slide pretty well. They also handle rough terrain about as good as the Rough Riders.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #858 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try the Powell G-Slides 85A wheels. Same exact size as the Rough Riders but they actually slide pretty well. They also handle rough terrain about as good as the Rough Riders.

Am curious to try the g-slides 85a too. On the powell bomber 3 85a 60mms right now and they slide incredibly well and don't flatspot for a cruiser wheel.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #859 on: November 09, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
G-Slides vs Keyframes?

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #860 on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Interested to hear what other people are riding other than Spits or Bones. Did a search and was surprised there wasn't a thread for other wheel manus. There is a great selection of smaller brands... Autobahn, OJ, Broadcast, Paradise, Pusher, SML, PFC, Type S, etc. Definitely interested to hear what people are skating.

Currently on these on these SML Herrington 53 Wides and I love them. They were a little slick for my tastes at first but after a few sessions they're perfect. For anyone that prefers wider wheels they are great:

Just finished up on OJ Dela 53. Wasn't a big fan of them on first ride, but gave them a revisit and I was pretty psyched:

I have these up next, Satori Guru 54:

If you are young you should just start riding spitfire classics now, you want to ride wheels that are going to be around forever. You get spitfire classics whatever size you want and bones bearings and thats what you ride for wheels, you dont fuck with that. then you get indys and get new indy bushings.
then you always have your spitfires and your indys, makes setting up a board much easier. no gimmicks.
Then you get OJs for your cruiser or rough spot board, I like the OJ ditch witch wheel too, sometimes you need something a lil softer and at 92 you can still powerslide.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #861 on: November 21, 2017, 01:49:27 AM »
Been skating the Sml AG formula V-cuts.
Love them so far. A nice balance of grip and slide.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #862 on: November 23, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
Does anyone make a 97a or equivalent anymore? I'm still looking for a good "rough park" wheel.

My 99 F4s are pretty great on almost everything but lose speed and rattle around too much on my local asphalt-flat tranny park.

I have some older DTF Formula wheels on my park cruiser but they are annoyingly bouncy and unresponsive. Trying to find a middle ground.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
^Santa Cruz started making the Slime Balls 97a in smaller sizes again (52-54-56 I think). I like that formula a lot. Takes the edge off of fucked up ground and provides more grip in below freezing temps/indoor spots.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #864 on: November 25, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Does anyone make a 97a or equivalent anymore? I'm still looking for a good "rough park" wheel.

My 99 F4s are pretty great on almost everything but lose speed and rattle around too much on my local asphalt-flat tranny park.

I have some older DTF Formula wheels on my park cruiser but they are annoyingly bouncy and unresponsive. Trying to find a middle ground.

Speed Lab wheels have some, depending on what size you want.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #865 on: November 25, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
I recently won a set of OJ wheels (the Shrine ones that come with a tape) they are 55mm. I was skating some really old Spitfire Mike Anderson wheels before (like for a year) that started off as 54mm. The Spitfire wheels even a year later are faster then the OJ wheels, every set of OJ wheels I have tried have a sluggish feeling to them, glad I didn't pay for them. Anyone else have this issue?

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #866 on: November 25, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
I recently won a set of OJ wheels (the Shrine ones that come with a tape) they are 55mm. I was skating some really old Spitfire Mike Anderson wheels before (like for a year) that started off as 54mm. The Spitfire wheels even a year later are faster then the OJ wheels, every set of OJ wheels I have tried have a sluggish feeling to them, glad I didn't pay for them. Anyone else have this issue?
Yeah I've had that problem too, it feels like driving with really under inflated tires. Also the 2 pairs I had got flat spots within 30 minutes.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #867 on: November 25, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah I've had that problem too, it feels like driving with really under inflated tires. Also the 2 pairs I had got flat spots within 30 minutes.

Yup. 'Regular' OJ'thane feels slow as hell at 101 but feels ok on rough terrain (I've also flatted every set I've had skating smooth parks) 'Insane-a-thane' is totally different, after you get used to them, they as fast as SPFs in parks. Super hard and fast (some say they feel chalky...maybe at first).

I've learned my lesson with regular oj than, never again, rather just get spits.

Interestingly enough, many people at my local park are rocking oj insane-a-thane and two that I speak with regularly feel that everything else after riding them feels slow.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:24:58 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #868 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yup. 'Regular' OJ'thane feels slow as hell at 101 but feels ok on rough terrain (I've also flatted every set I've had skating smooth parks) 'Insane-a-thane' is totally different, after you get used to them, they as fast as SPFs in parks. Super hard and fast (some say they feel chalky...maybe at first).

I've learned my lesson with regular oj than, never again, rather just get spits.

Interestingly enough, many people at my local park are rocking oj insane-a-thane and two that I speak with regularly feel that everything else after riding them feels slow.

How do you think insane-a-thane handles on street terrain and how do they slide? Compared to 99a formula fours and bone stfs? Curious to try some.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2017, 01:13:36 AM »
Just ordered a board with the Mini logo A-cuts 101A, how are they? Everything they make always seems to be pretty solid

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down