Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777676 times)

frtzgn95 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 28, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I recently won a set of OJ wheels (the Shrine ones that come with a tape) they are 55mm. I was skating some really old Spitfire Mike Anderson wheels before (like for a year) that started off as 54mm. The Spitfire wheels even a year later are faster then the OJ wheels, every set of OJ wheels I have tried have a sluggish feeling to them, glad I didn't pay for them. Anyone else have this issue?
[close]
Yeah I've had that problem too, it feels like driving with really under inflated tires. Also the 2 pairs I had got flat spots within 30 minutes.
[close]

Yup. 'Regular' OJ'thane feels slow as hell at 101 but feels ok on rough terrain (I've also flatted every set I've had skating smooth parks) 'Insane-a-thane' is totally different, after you get used to them, they as fast as SPFs in parks. Super hard and fast (some say they feel chalky...maybe at first).

I've learned my lesson with regular oj than, never again, rather just get spits.

Interestingly enough, many people at my local park are rocking oj insane-a-thane and two that I speak with regularly feel that everything else after riding them feels slow.
[close]

How do you think insane-a-thane handles on street terrain and how do they slide? Compared to 99a formula fours and bone stfs? Curious to try some.

They slide great, not as slippery as F4s, as for street, they're hard wheels, they'll rattle your teeth. F4s and even STFs are far more forgiving than the OJs.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #871 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
Just ordered a board with the Mini logo A-cuts 101A, how are they? Everything they make always seems to be pretty solid

Sticky and unpredictable slide compared to F4s. Other than that I guess they're alright. Just a bunch of wheels really. Nothing special.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #872 on: November 28, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Just ordered a board with the Mini logo A-cuts 101A, how are they? Everything they make always seems to be pretty solid
[close]

Sticky and unpredictable slide compared to F4s. Other than that I guess they're alright. Just a bunch of wheels really. Nothing special.
What about compared to classics? I don't powerslide a ton nor do I slide on ledges aside from boardslides so I think I'll be fine then

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #873 on: November 29, 2017, 05:48:55 AM »
Must agree with the OJII chat, was so bummed that they felt like one of your bearings was seized.
Can't see much beyond the f4 but I am skating a set of Alta's which are a great wheel but super hard, not so good on my weathered streets and old park but fully fly on new crete and give a long satisfying screech when asked to. Once they are done it's back to f4 classics.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #874 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What about compared to classics? I don't powerslide a ton nor do I slide on ledges aside from boardslides so I think I'll be fine then

https://youtu.be/fvZQVGGYQJc

I've heard good things about the Bones 100's but not sure about mini logo....most Powell stuff I've bought has been pretty good...

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #875 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

https://youtu.be/fvZQVGGYQJc

I've heard good things about the Bones 100's but not sure about mini logo....most Powell stuff I've bought has been pretty good...
Pretty sure mini logo isn't owned by Powell anymore, also not stoked on how soft they seem, they'll be nice because Chicago has pretty shitty ground but I do too many 180s/disasters to not be able to slide. They're coming in today so maybe I'll feel different once I ride them myself.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:23:47 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #876 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
Nah.....it's all owned by GP....

Possibly different factory though....

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #877 on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »

Considering that they're something like 15 bucks for a set, I like them. They're noticeably stickier than Spitfires, but I skate a lot of transition and slippery ass parks so I don't really mind. They're reasonably durable as well, they seem to have kept their shape and size so far. While I'm probably going to go back to Spits or Bones after this it's nice to know there are some under $20 wheels that perform almost as well as some nearly $40 ones. I would get them if you want new wheels but are strapped for cash at the moment, or want a harder wheel that grips more than other brands.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #878 on: November 29, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
stay on f4's or support the little guys and get a pair of sml.s?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

chodekaka

« Reply #879 on: November 29, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
Do you know baskwith

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #880 on: November 29, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you know baskwith
can't say I do...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #881 on: November 29, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Considering that they're something like 15 bucks for a set, I like them. They're noticeably stickier than Spitfires, but I skate a lot of transition and slippery ass parks so I don't really mind. They're reasonably durable as well, they seem to have kept their shape and size so far. While I'm probably going to go back to Spits or Bones after this it's nice to know there are some under $20 wheels that perform almost as well as some nearly $40 ones. I would get them if you want new wheels but are strapped for cash at the moment, or want a harder wheel that grips more than other brands.

Not considering graphics..I think mini logo stuff is as good or better than half the stuff out there....

It's just not as good as the other half....

chodekaka

« Reply #882 on: November 30, 2017, 07:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you know baskwith
[close]
can't say I do...
Okay thank you people were asking

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #883 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

SMLs are good (I found them grippy and slower than say, STFs or F4s), Waywards are good (they feel exactly like F4s to me, except less slippery on the 101s), the smaller brands are made in the same places as the bigger wheel cos (except Bones and Spit since they are proprietary), Just like Autobahn (RIP) was.

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #884 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
Waywards are fuckin rad wheels, you won't be disappointed

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #885 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
Been on the F4 train for a few years now but just pulled the trigger on some 101a OJ insanethanes, for $20 bucks. Pretty excited to see how they skate

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #886 on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
k (I still don't have an idea what you're talking about though)

SMLs are good (I found them grippy and slower than say, STFs or F4s), Waywards are good (they feel exactly like F4s to me, except less slippery on the 101s),
hmmm maybe I shouldn't make the switch then. I'm on a set of radial slims that I've had for a year and they are still going strong

chodekaka

« Reply #887 on: November 30, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
SMLs are good (I found them grippy and slower than say, STFs or F4s), Waywards are good (they feel exactly like F4s to me, except less slippery on the 101s),
[close]
hmmm maybe I shouldn't make the switch then. I'm on a set of radial slims that I've had for a year and they are still going strong
Are you from Australia? Baskwith is a skater from Australia. For some reason I seem to think you are from Australia.  Wondering if you knew him.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:11:09 PM by chodekaka »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
I'm an Aussie but haven't lived there for over 10 years now...
which state is he from?

chodekaka

« Reply #889 on: November 30, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
I'm an Aussie but haven't lived there for over 10 years now...
which state is he from?
I believe it would be Victoria, near Melbourne sort of. I skated a place called noble park and some park in dandenong with him a few times but this was years ago I can’t remember very well. He was on flow for folklore, or maybe it was called fibretech? He posted some vids on YouTube of skating before it was big but then stopped and said he might have brain cancer or something. Then fell off and we lost contact. I’m from Canada so I have no idea if he is still alive or what happened to him. Definitely was a stupid question and a shot in the dark that you would know of him.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:24:25 PM by chodekaka »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #890 on: November 30, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »
hahaha no I'm a Sydney boy but there are some VIC boys that post on here (RIP Jedi), maybe post in here?
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96782.0
lots of knowledgeable heads in that thread

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #891 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:12 AM »
Mini logo wheels are id say exactly bones 100 they feel super smooth and soft but can slide if you really need to but not as good as f4 or stf, in my opinion definitely better than spit classics and like someone said half of the wheels on the market but in the end if you want more slide and don’t care for speed or smoothness f4 are very slippery and board feel wheels

I prefer stf’s cause they’re smoother and faster and still slide well, not as good as f4 but I don’t slide everywhere I go like the crazy hip kids
yes

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #892 on: December 02, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Just started running the SML AG formula, definitely slower than any higher end spits, more controlled slide for me personally though. On my cruiser I have the V cut replacing Syvanen Oj's and they're way faster than the OJ's. Can't comment on slide yet

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: December 03, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just started running the SML AG formula, definitely slower than any higher end spits, more controlled slide for me personally though. On my cruiser I have the V cut replacing Syvanen Oj's and they're way faster than the OJ's. Can't comment on slide yet

Yeah, you are running the regular OJ(III) urethane, slow and squishy; the SMLswould run circles around them...BUT, those regular OJs are great for regular/fucked up terrain.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #894 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
cheers for that. after going for another roll yesterday I'm pretty convinced that I have to stay on F4s forever now, not really a problem per se but I did want to support James after seeing his 9 club ep

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #895 on: December 03, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
Gave my 101a insaneathanes a go and I'm really stoked on them, kinda slippery at the start especially coming off of skating 99a f4s but I adjusted eventually and got some fun curb tricks.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #896 on: December 05, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
What is the optimal wheel size/hardness for street skating crusty ass spots. I'm skating some 49mm right now but they aren't cutting it on regular asphalt or anything that isn't smooth skatepark surface. Losing too much speed despite the fact that I'm running Bones Swiss. I was thinking 52/53mm with 99A hardness would be good?

Always wondered what size wheels those GX1000 and LurkNYC dudes rode. Same thing with Palace, I know some of those London spots are crusty as fuck.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #897 on: December 05, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
What is the optimal wheel size/hardness for street skating crusty ass spots. I'm skating some 49mm right now but they aren't cutting it on regular asphalt or anything that isn't smooth skatepark surface. Losing too much speed despite the fact that I'm running Bones Swiss. I was thinking 52/53mm with 99A hardness would be good?

Always wondered what size wheels those GX1000 and LurkNYC dudes rode. Same thing with Palace, I know some of those London spots are crusty as fuck.
I definitely suggest sizing up, you'll have a lot more fun skating with a bigger wheel(imo). I'd suggest taking it up to a 53/54. If you're skating suuuuper crusty shit I'd suggest 101a but 99a should do just fine.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #898 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »

I used to skate wheels in the 52mm range and would prefer it best when it was about 50mm due to the lower center of gravity. I definitely prefer the 54-55mm range now. So much nicer on shitty ground and you keep your speed better. As far as hardness goes, I think the hardness of 99a f4s is ideal, 101s are a bit too jarring on rough ground imo. But wheels have different formulas so hardness and how a wheel handles shit ground varies between different wheels even if they have the same durometer so keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:54:55 PM by tzhangdox »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #899 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »

It may sound off but definitely some 53/54 bones stf, the formula is great against crusty terrain and getting and holding speed, so far from my experience(2/3 years of at least 4/5 sets of formula fours in all the major shapes) formula fours are just good for sliding and that’s it, speed and rebound definitely goto bones stf.

I skate long distances and I use to think bones were plasticy and hard but skating these distances got me curious and I swapped wheels to wheels(spitfire f4, classics, gold, pig, oj classic and insane a thane, bones and mini logo) and so far bones stf took rough road and held its speed and retained it even better on smooth sidewalk.

Bones has been making wheels since the beginning and they made the perfect street wheel, it’s half smooth like a cruiser wheel but still hard enough to slide like a street wheel
yes