Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 787306 times)

pops and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

hillbilly shifty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2070 on: September 16, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Wish spitfire would come out with something in a 90du. Their Chargers are 80 and then duro options jump to 99/101. That's a big spread, and seems like an opportunity to tap the crusty street/also park riding multi purpose wheel. They made the 'Soft Ds' awhile back.

I'm loyal to spitfire in all shapes, and ride chargers on a 'front of the house' set up. I've played with mini logo 90du, which oddly feel like the same bounce/grip as the chargers. A spitfire classic or radial in 90du would be sweet.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2071 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »
Wish spitfire would come out with something in a 90du. Their Chargers are 80 and then duro options jump to 99/101. That's a big spread, and seems like an opportunity to tap the crusty street/also park riding multi purpose wheel. They made the 'Soft Ds' awhile back.

I'm loyal to spitfire in all shapes, and ride chargers on a 'front of the house' set up. I've played with mini logo 90du, which oddly feel like the same bounce/grip as the chargers. A spitfire classic or radial in 90du would be sweet.

In my opinion, spitfire has 2 things going for them: F4s are perfect, and the classic formula is good if you know what you’re dealing with.

Do you like your chargers? I was not a fan. Funny how DLX Zip Zinger wheels are great but Spitfire doesn’t seem to want to sell a good cruiser wheel.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2072 on: September 16, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
Has anyone else had the graphics literally fall off a set of Bones STFs?  I have some STF V1 101s and the graphics are almost completely off already and I haven't even been locking into grinds with them yet.  Graphics are facing in and I did a few 50/50s on a flat round rail and several 5-0s on a ledge (most of the graphics were flaking before the ledge though).  No smiths/feebles with these and the graphics are facing in.  My trucks are brand new as well and I can tell that I've only grinding into the center of them.

I don't really mind because I prefer STF Blanks but my local shop only had 52's in Bufoni's pro model.  I just thought this was really weird and it worries me a bit quality insurance wise.  I can literally scrape majority the remainder off with just my fingernail.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2073 on: September 16, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
Has anyone else had the graphics literally fall off a set of Bones STFs?  I have some STF V1 101s and the graphics are almost completely off already and I haven't even been locking into grinds with them yet.  Graphics are facing in and I did a few 50/50s on a flat round rail and several 5-0s on a ledge (most of the graphics were flaking before the ledge though).  No smiths/feebles with these and the graphics are facing in.  My trucks are brand new as well and I can tell that I've only grinding into the center of them.

I don't really mind because I prefer STF Blanks but my local shop only had 52's in Bufoni's pro model.  I just thought this was really weird and it worries me a bit quality insurance wise.  I can literally scrape majority the remainder off with just my fingernail.

You came to the right place for wheel advice.....After you tell us how to 50/50 a flat round rail.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2074 on: September 16, 2019, 08:47:47 PM »

hold that -1 kook
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2075 on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You came to the right place for wheel advice.....After you tell us how to 50/50 a flat round rail.

I meant a straight round rail.  Like one without any down/up sections.  I'm a much better skier so I spend more time on the mountain and websites like Newschoolers.  Us skiers and snowboarders refer to them as flat rails and everything else as down flat downs, donkey dicks, rainbow rails, etc. I'm used to that terminology more than skater technology since I was one of three skaters in my small ass town.

Sorry.

Edit: Does this janky ass website not allow me to quote multiple people per reply?  Figured it would have been updated in the last decade... Anyways Mr. Tangar, what is the right terminology for a rail that has no kinks?  I just started skating again after a decade, I guess I'm a kook... lmfao.. Sweet dude, sorry I kicked heroin and being happy with my new health I decided to pick up a board again because of how much I missed it.  I love skating and I wouldn't consider myself a kook but a you being a crusty 33 years old with a lot of comments on a website consisting of a majority of washed up angry old men making you a  "le core skate" means you're obviously better than me.  I'm sorry for upsetting you buddy.  Anyways, shouldn't you be focusing on your family and pension?  Wait, you don't have a family and are trolling forums over the ripe old age of 30!?!?  Sorry for getting mad... you're obviously way more hesh-core-skater-bro than my kook ass...  BuT cAn yOu NiGhTmArE fLiP a ReVivE bOaRd oLd MaN!?!?!?!?!?!?!  Kiss my Johnny Giger tattoo's ass old man, you sound like a fat-ass neckbeard bragging about his Reddit Karma.  LELELELE -1 YA NERD, LOOK AT ME 2000 COMMENT KARMA! 'Tips Fedora' Top Fucking Kek.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:23:26 AM by Woos »

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2076 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:04 AM »

Did you ever ride the Soft D's? I tried them out on the hunt for a crust wheel, as you mentioned, and thought they were lacking. They were hard enough to still feel the shittiness of the ground but still soft enough to stop slides and reverts. So mostly they did nothing too well. I'd love if there were wheels that smoothed out the shit ground while still letting you have slides but I haven't found it yet. Ended up settling with 87a Keyframes for that setup and avoiding shuvs and 180's. It really seems like that low to mid 90's is a wasteland. 

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2077 on: September 17, 2019, 08:46:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I meant a straight round rail.  Like one without any down/up sections.  I'm a much better skier so I spend more time on the mountain and websites like Newschoolers.  Us skiers and snowboarders refer to them as flat rails and everything else as down flat downs, donkey dicks, rainbow rails, etc. I'm used to that terminology more than skater technology since I was one of three skaters in my small ass town.

Sorry.

Edit: Does this janky ass website not allow me to quote multiple people per reply?  Figured it would have been updated in the last decade... Anyways Mr. Tangar, what is the right terminology for a rail that has no kinks?  I just started skating again after a decade, I guess I'm a kook... lmfao.. Sweet dude, sorry I kicked heroin and being happy with my new health I decided to pick up a board again because of how much I missed it.  I love skating and I wouldn't consider myself a kook but a you being a crusty 33 years old with a lot of comments on a website consisting of a majority of washed up angry old men making you a  "le core skate" means you're obviously better than me.  I'm sorry for upsetting you buddy.  Anyways, shouldn't you be focusing on your family and pension?  Wait, you don't have a family and are trolling forums over the ripe old age of 30!?!?  Sorry for getting mad... you're obviously way more hesh-core-skater-bro than my kook ass...  BuT cAn yOu NiGhTmArE fLiP a ReVivE bOaRd oLd MaN!?!?!?!?!?!?!  Kiss my Johnny Giger tattoo's ass old man, you sound like a fat-ass neckbeard bragging about his Reddit Karma.  LELELELE -1 YA NERD, LOOK AT ME 2000 COMMENT KARMA! 'Tips Fedora' Top Fucking Kek.

Woa dude, you gotta be able to take a jab.

- There are a lot of former drug addicts on here. I've had some close friends die from heroin, so trust me you have a home here.

- I wouldn't worry about the wheel graphics. Wheel companies have never really focused on making long-lasting graphics. If you notice any deformities or flatspots, then I'd suspect some phoniness because STFs are hard as a rock. If the wheel does start falling apart or acting funny (besides the graphics), you can probably find a way to get a free replacement.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2078 on: September 17, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry.

If you can't take a simple jab without writing a paragraph long diatribe, you're not gonna last long around here

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #2079 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you ever ride the Soft D's? I tried them out on the hunt for a crust wheel, as you mentioned, and thought they were lacking. They were hard enough to still feel the shittiness of the ground but still soft enough to stop slides and reverts. So mostly they did nothing too well. I'd love if there were wheels that smoothed out the shit ground while still letting you have slides but I haven't found it yet. Ended up settling with 87a Keyframes for that setup and avoiding shuvs and 180's. It really seems like that low to mid 90's is a wasteland.

Agreed. Mid/Low 90s durometers are a complete compromise and don't offer any good performance.

Soft D's are comically shitty wheels.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #2080 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »
Woos, maybe you're not ready to be off heroin bud

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2081 on: September 17, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
Agreed. Mid/Low 90s durometers are a complete compromise and don't offer any good performance.

They posted that there are new 95s coming out at some point.  Maybe those will be usable.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2082 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Worst of both worlds! Great deal!  :D

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #2083 on: September 17, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In my opinion, spitfire has 2 things going for them: F4s are perfect, and the classic formula is good if you know what you’re dealing with.

Do you like your chargers? I was not a fan. Funny how DLX Zip Zinger wheels are great but Spitfire doesn’t seem to want to sell a good cruiser wheel.

Agree on the F4s as perfect! Overall I like the chargers for cruising, but too bouncy + grippy for throwing in tricks in various street scenarios, certainly not for the park. A Spitfire 90d radial/classic shape that can serve lots of purposes on a single set up I would buy all day.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #2084 on: September 17, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

yep, gave the soft Ds a shot, nothing gained in smoothness on rough ground.... may as well stick with F4 99d
thinking of giving keyframes a try, i'll have to peel off my spitfire stickers....

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2085 on: September 17, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »

yep, gave the soft Ds a shot, nothing gained in smoothness on rough ground.... may as well stick with F4 99d
thinking of giving keyframes a try, i'll have to peel off my spitfire stickers....

Got a set of 53mm F4 Classic 99a last week and put them on.  Been riding the 101a conicals (same size) and I wasn't sure what I would think of that shape, since it's a little narrow.  It's weird, they feel so thin on the ground but I still feel that "stuck" feeling when turning at higher speeds like with the conicals.  The slide is so gratifying, with that grippy smoothness.  Also, the difference on asphalt between the 101a and 99a is night and day, with basically no difference on smooth ground.  F4 99a every time from here on out, unless someone can improve on them somehow.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2086 on: September 17, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Keyframes are awesome soft wheels. Definitely worth a try instead of any Spitfire softer wheels.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2087 on: September 17, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Keyframes are awesome soft wheels. Definitely worth a try instead of any Spitfire softer wheels.

Can definitely say Keyframes 100% over Chargers. Perfect for a setup that's cruiser-y while still being able to actually skate when needed.

Anyone try the Dialtone Oyola's? They were 92's and I was considering them but they sold out before I pulled the trigger.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #2088 on: September 18, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Can definitely say Keyframes 100% over Chargers. Perfect for a setup that's cruiser-y while still being able to actually skate when needed.

Anyone try the Dialtone Oyola's? They were 92's and I was considering them but they sold out before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks Roisto + Palelight. A set of keyframes are on the way!

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2089 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anybody here know where I can just buy straight up blank natural wheels that are the same quality as brand name? Please let me know..
Thank you
[close]

These guys maybe. They do Loophole too.
https://www.nfgmfg.com/contact-skateboard-manufacturer

You tried those loophole out yet? Someone said they sucked..

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2090 on: September 19, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks Roisto + Palelight. A set of keyframes are on the way!

SML mandersons come in a 92...maybe same Manu?

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2091 on: September 21, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:27:39 PM by oldbummer »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2092 on: September 21, 2019, 06:06:10 PM »
How wants a set indeed?

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2093 on: September 21, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
How wants a set indeed?
I'd be interested to test a pair
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #2094 on: September 22, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
I'll maybe try a set too.....bones is acting more like spits.....

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2095 on: September 22, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
I'll maybe try a set too.....bones is acting more like spits.....
The competition is starting to heat up.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2096 on: September 24, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spitfire-Wheels-53-3mm-Redhead-2005/123907287880?hash=item1cd9732b48:g:QgIAAOSwaNtdfdGA
I saw this on Ebay and am contemplating rocking these, I know this might be a dumb question anyway I could skate these as a cruiser and preserve the image?
Dueces Bitch's

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2097 on: September 24, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spitfire-Wheels-53-3mm-Redhead-2005/123907287880?hash=item1cd9732b48:g:QgIAAOSwaNtdfdGA
I saw this on Ebay and am contemplating rocking these, I know this might be a dumb question anyway I could skate these as a cruiser and preserve the image?

Mid 2000s wasn't the best time for Spitfires. Don't ride 'em. 

Diocletian

« Reply #2098 on: September 24, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »
I highly recommend slime balls to anyone looking for a softer wheel but not too “cruiser-y” soft.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2099 on: September 24, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »
What are people's thoughts on getting some 56mm fattie easy streets for a zip zinger? I currently have 56mm keyframes on it which I really like, but my new commute to work involves a hillbomb and not being able to powerslide is a bit annoying. However I don't want to have my wheels just feel like hard formula fours or whatever because I still have to push a bunch on not so perfect ground.

People say easy streets feel really soft and quiet, yet are still like a street wheel. Between keyframes and formula fours, where on the spectrum would easy streets lie?