Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 799226 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3120 on: July 05, 2020, 04:05:58 AM »

Good write up.

Buying skate from amazon?!?? Jeeeeesus fuck. I’d rather barter with some ‘burner, at the fuckin burn. Wtf.

You're not actually buying it from Amazon, you're just buying it through the platform. You're still buying from NFG, but if you have Amazon prime then Amazon covers the shipping, which would have been like $10 in this case. Along with that I had like $20 in Amazon gift cards from doing online surveys so it basically turned $50 wheels into $20 wheels.

You do have to be careful buying shit on there though because there's a lot of scumbags that will list what appears to be a pair of trucks and then only send you one and shit like that so always read the reviews. I normally only use it to buy shit like cheap bearings and hardware but it made sense to get the wheels through it in this instance.

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #3121 on: July 05, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
So yesterday I set up some 101 mini logo C cuts on my spare board to directly compare them to the bones 99 V3.
ML 101 def felt harder but both slide almost equally as easy, the slide on the 99s is slightly smoother and easier to do. 99s are quieter while rolling also and feel a little soft when I start riding that set up right after the ML wheels.

99s are slightly smoother when I skate crusty ditches but not much.
I have not flat spotted either wheel and I do a lot of backside 180s where I go skkkrt and slide the trick around.

I wanted to compare the bones 99 to F4 99 and I thought I still had an old set of used F4s around my room but didn’t find them. I guess I gave them to someone.
The shape of the bones V3 is almost identical as the minilogo CCuts but the minilogos are a little wider than bones V3

Anyway; just wanted to put this info out there in case anyone comes across either wheels and considers buying them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:52:44 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3122 on: July 05, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »
So yesterday I set up some 101 mini logo C cuts on my spare board to directly compare them to the bones 99 V3.
ML 101 def felt harder but both slide almost equally as easy, the slide on the 99s is slightly smoother and easier to do. 99s are quieter while rolling also and feel a little soft when I start riding that set up right after the ML wheels.

I have not flat spotted either wheel and I do a lot of backside 180s where I go skkkrt and slide the trick around.

I wanted to compare the bones 99 to F4 99 and I thought I still had an old set of used F4s around my room but didn’t find them. I guess I gave them to someone.
The shape of the bones V3 is almost identical as the minilogo CCuts but the minilogos are a little wider than bones V3

Anyway; just wanted to put this info out there in case anyone comes across either wheels and considers buying them.

Did you mean the A-Cuts? The C-Cuts are more conical, closer to a V5. The A-Cuts look closer to a V1 in terms of width.

https://minilogoskateboards.com/products/
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula-99/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3123 on: July 06, 2020, 05:51:32 AM »
How are the cores on OJ Elites? I got some Bones STF V1 103A and the cores were terrible, had to use some serious force to get the bearings in and out. There were glue splotches in the bearing seats, which threw off the balance of the wheels and which I had to scrape out with a knife. The Bones Swiss spacers didn't sit properly either. I know Spitfire is an offender in this too, so I would like to know about the alternatives.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3124 on: July 06, 2020, 07:24:15 AM »
Anyone skate Speedlab wheels?

I know BFRD gave a thorough response but I’d like to go a slightly different direction here. Never skated Speed Lab wheels but I have skated Rain Skates 98a and they are as close to old skool as I have ever skated.

I had a pair of Slime Balls as a kids that lasted me forever. Slime Balls were made, I believe, at Creative Urethane and they were either 95a or 97a—probably 95a in 88’. Modern Slimeballs are made in China so I can’t imagine they skate like the ones from 32 years ago.

So, I think Speed Lab 97a wheels (Bill Danforth models) are probably the best wheels to get and set up a 1988-1991 set up. Again, I am equating Rain Skate 98a to Speed Lab 97a.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3125 on: July 06, 2020, 10:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you mean the A-Cuts? The C-Cuts are more conical, closer to a V5. The A-Cuts look closer to a V1 in terms of width.

Ccuts are closest to V1 but V3 is like a slimmer shape of the v1.
Here’s a pic with Blue ACUTS 54mm, the bones stf 99 53mm and ML CCUT white 54mm

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #3126 on: July 06, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe look at your own link? It's A for All terrain, not C for Conical.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3127 on: July 06, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Maybe look at your own link? It's A for All terrain, not C for Conical.

My bad, I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:39:04 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #3128 on: July 06, 2020, 07:50:55 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Spitfire won't just release a full line of classic fulls? (50-60mm)

I've been perusing through the boards about this and can't seem to find any 'juicier' insight. Understandably, it could just be a matter of the whole supply demand factor. But then just by observing, it seems wider contact patches are to be the trend.

Looking forward to the feedback, cheers!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:52:55 PM by fairydinkum »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3129 on: July 06, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skate Speedlab wheels?
[close]

I know BFRD gave a thorough response but I’d like to go a slightly different direction here. Never skated Speed Lab wheels but I have skated Rain Skates 98a and they are as close to old skool as I have ever skated.

I had a pair of Slime Balls as a kids that lasted me forever. Slime Balls were made, I believe, at Creative Urethane and they were either 95a or 97a—probably 95a in 88’. Modern Slimeballs are made in China so I can’t imagine they skate like the ones from 32 years ago.

So, I think Speed Lab 97a wheels (Bill Danforth models) are probably the best wheels to get and set up a 1988-1991 set up. Again, I am equating Rain Skate 98a to Speed Lab 97a.

I love the Danforths and they have replaced all of my softer cruiser wheels. They roll fast, wide contact patch and larger diameter help kick rocks out of the way, and I don’t have to deal with the huge cracks and chips I get riding stuff like Super Juice.

I also have a set of the 54mm Slappy Hours which are 99a but don’t feel much harder than the Danforths. The formula is very different feeling than F4 99a. A bit softer/more forgiving maybe?

Anyway, it’s definitely worth trying a set out. They just announced bigger Slappy Hour sizes so I’ll probably be getting the 56s or 58s once they hit the shop.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3130 on: July 07, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »
If I had to choose, which non cruiser wheel should I buy for crusty streets? Bones Stf V4/V6 83b / Stf V4/V6 99a or Spitfire Radial/Conical...99a? Which one is faster in the streets, more tolerant to death pebbles?

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3131 on: July 07, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
If I had to choose, which non cruiser wheel should I buy for crusty streets? Bones Stf V4/V6 83b / Stf V4/V6 99a or Spitfire Radial/Conical...99a? Which one is faster in the streets, more tolerant to death pebbles?

Conical Full 99a, no doubt.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3132 on: July 07, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »

If you're asking about performance formula wise, STFs feel more grippy than F4s, making high speeds more forgiving, makes slides shorter, and is able to go through crust. However, since it does feel grippy the wheel also feels slow and somewhat clumsy at times. F4s feel faster and more nimble since it feels less grippy, if that makes sense.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3133 on: July 07, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »

best luck ive had for your scenario is either bones 99a or spitfire classics (non f4) 99a, the widest shape you can get in either.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3134 on: July 07, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »

What do you like to do and what size are you comfortable with? F4 99a is kind of the gold standard if you're looking for speed and slideability, but I think STF 99a is a little softer feeling and soaks up cracks better. The issue with the bones formula is it can be sticky if you try to slide at a low speeds and the shapes aren't quite as wide (unless you can find v6, which I haven't actually tried).

54mm F4 conical full is my go-to but that's partially because its not too big and heavy, for really nasty shit or getting up on higher curbs then 56mm radials are great. Pretty much no matter what you're going to get tossed by stop rocks at some point though.   

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3135 on: July 08, 2020, 04:26:51 AM »
Currently I'm riding 53mm easy streets v5 (down to 50). Felt like they became faster once broken in, but now they tend to stop on pebbles.
20% park 80% goofing around in the streets.
I think I need something around 56mm with wide contact patch.

You say bones stf 99a are softer\more forgiving on rough streets than spitfire f4 99a?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3136 on: July 08, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »
Currently I'm riding 53mm easy streets v5 (down to 50). Felt like they became faster once broken in, but now they tend to stop on pebbles.

You say bones stf 99a are softer\more forgiving on rough streets than spitfire f4 99a?
I wish I still had a set of F4 a around to compare.
I’ve had more than ten sets of F4 99s and a few 101 and from my memory (which def could be wrong) I’d say the bones 99 feel a little softer/more forgiving. And the bones grip a little more than F4 99.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3137 on: July 08, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »

They're a little softer over cracks and generally rough asphalt in my opinion, but not by a significant margin. The bigger factor if you want to avoid the pebbles issue would be width/shape and in that category spitfire is definitely better. I'd try a 54-56mm conical full or radial (not radial slim) formula 4, or the other wheel I really like for nasty stuff is the Creature/OJ 56mm 97a bloodsuckers. They're the hardline shape so if you're not crazy about the look then any 54-56mm hardline wheel should be similar, I think there's a 99a one. You could also try 97a slime balls, I've never actually tried them but I'm guessing its the same formula and I've heard a lot of people like them. 

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3138 on: July 12, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »

Why do these old ass element wheels 54mm worn to 53mm feel so good?

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3139 on: July 12, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
Not sure if this is the place for this but SPoT has f4s!
Whoa. Danger.

SatoriWheels

• Rep: 1
  • Positive Skateboarding Since 1998
    • Satori Wheels avatar image
« Reply #3140 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:01 AM »
Just skated Satori P-Town Players 78a, they probably haven't been skated for like 9 or 10 years. Holy shit was not used to the speed and not being able to powerslide. Was HAULING ASS on some hills that are a casual bomb on regular wheels (F4 99a), got scared on a couple, so had to just hang on for dear life but holy shit are they fun! Made my cruising session so fun

Glad to hear!! Give us a follow on our new IG page @SatoriWheels, tons more on the way soon!
- Satori Wheels

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3141 on: July 13, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
Has anyone skated crupie wheels?
Just got a set and wondering if they are even worth setting up. Been on F4 99s since they were prototypes, not really sure how these crupie wheels hold up in comparison to F4s.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3142 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:13 PM »
Just got a set and wondering if they are even worth setting up. Been on F4 99s since they were prototypes, not really sure how these crupie wheels hold up in comparison to F4s.

If crupie held up to F4s, there would be more people skating them.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #3143 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True, they're not bad tho

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #3144 on: July 14, 2020, 01:10:41 AM »
I'm skating crupie now, they don't slide as nice as f4 or stf, but I'm not having any issues with them.

goatgoochcheese

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3145 on: July 14, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
the boardy cakes came in today, i have a really good feeling about them. gotta send the tablets back, they looks like they sat too long in a hot room plus they are defective. the super reds were an impulse buy.

I was trying to find some 51mm f4 tablets but I was unable to find any so I ended up ordering some 49mm Boardy Cake princess cuts. They look like they'll be nice but I'm worried about them being slick because they're 103a and I've had a few sets of Bones STF and they were always too slick.

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3146 on: July 14, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

True, they're not bad tho
Just gave them away to a friend who is less picky than I am. F4s for life.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3147 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:53 PM »

Why do these old ass element wheels 54mm worn to 53mm feel so good?

Im actually in the same boat...Im riding some chunky 54 mm Accel Wheels from about 20 years ago which was a small company Mike V had and may have been more distributed in NJ because not many remember this company. I got them because they were the biggest wheels in the local shop during that era and I was skating a slippery mini half mostly back then.

Theyre super wide 54mm 22mm contact patch and 99a but still have some slide. Really like them but theyre heavy. Ive been on rougher terrain recently and I felt like the 53mm easy streets (while just as fast if not slightly faster esp on smooth terrain) which Ive been happy with, have the plasticy feel when its rougher where a spitfire f4 99, or any wheel from creative which absorbs the vibrations in a more familiar and comfortable way. Also slides much better than my 92a clouds which was my go to rough terrain wheeel. Maddness related specifics I would never notice if I started with Bones wheels but this is what we do.

These are them. Accel Wheels Tampa Wide around 2000 wheels. Yellowed significantly which is kinda annoying....any one know any tricks about removing yellowing or improving it it besides sanding?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:14:19 PM by tyshoes »

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #3148 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:16 PM »
Anyone here skated ok elites?
They have a huge team but I never saw anyone skate them.
Impossible at the moment to get my hands on f4 conical or full or anything not classic.

PMA

Junglist

« Reply #3149 on: July 15, 2020, 12:13:29 AM »
Anyone here skated ok elites?
They have a huge team but I never saw anyone skate them.
Impossible at the moment to get my hands on f4 conical or full or anything not classic.

I'm actually kind of stoked on them because I thought they would suck but they perform quite well. Much more comfortable than a bones wheel or something like that. They slide quite nicely. Granted 53mm is smaller than what I like so they had one session and have sat on my desk for the past two or three weeks.