Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777665 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5460 on: August 11, 2022, 07:15:00 PM »
Let me get this straight, you are saying that the 95a and 97a are worse than a 'typical wheel' on cracks/pebbles?  What duro are these 'typical wheels'? 101/103?

That seems to be the exact opposite wanted result for a wheel whos whole existence is to make it easier to skate on rough terrain (let alone the feedback we're seeing from everyone but you).

Would you say the 101/03 would be just as 'unusable' at these spots your skating?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5461 on: August 11, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
Let me get this straight, you are saying that the 95a and 97a are worse than a 'typical wheel' on cracks/pebbles?  What duro are these 'typical wheels'? 101/103?

That seems to be the exact opposite wanted result for a wheel whos whole existence is to make it easier to skate on rough terrain (let alone the feedback we're seeing from everyone but you).

Would you say the 101/03 would be just as 'unusable' at these spots your skating?

It's been a while since I've skated 103a at this point (it used to be my go-to), but the hubbed 95a feel like 101a or so? The hubbed 97a feel like 103a?

They don't reduce vibrations at all, they just let you maintain speed while those violent vibrations are happening.

The 95a are manageable... But the 97a (again with the hub) are a joke with how vulnerable they make you to pebbles and sidewalk cracks.

Most wheels "bounce" up cracks fairly easily (like F4 99a) but these "clack" on the cracks and you lose speed (or get ejected).

They maintain speed on streets with a rough TEXTURE... But not rough GEOMETRY... if that makes sense.

If you like 103a the 97a might work for you, but they vibrate like hell.

Maybe without the hub they won't be as extreme. I have high hopes for 95a without a hub... But doubt I could personally find a use for the 97a except as a "park only" wheel.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5462 on: August 11, 2022, 07:40:08 PM »
I have the hubless v1 95as, and some really wide hubbed 95as, both 54mm and prototype. The hubbed 95as feel hard as fuck, like between an f4 99a and 101a. The hubless v1 95as feel similar to the production dragons, a bit quieter but pretty similar. All the same issues.

Put on my production coreless 95as today (didn't wanna push hard, tired) and had a weirdly good session. Had to put a strong layer of wax on the metal coping of the ledge, and waxed the top a bunch when I wanted to some blunt tricks. Still catches more than a hard wheel and have to push them differently especially for like reg/sw crook.

And also just gotta accept that long slappies are a bit more unpredictable and don't feel as good, but I have like ten slappy tricks that I do over and over again so its not like I'm being held back from trying a new learn and sticking.

For times like today when I didn't wanna deal with more pushing and rough ground... it was worth it.

Kam from powell said the preproduction 95a should be the same as the production 95a, but they feel basically super similar to the production 93as.... so not sure what the deal is there.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5463 on: August 11, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
I have the hubless v1 95as, and some really wide hubbed 95as, both 54mm and prototype. The hubbed 95as feel hard as fuck, like between an f4 99a and 101a. The hubless v1 95as feel similar to the production dragons, a bit quieter but pretty similar. All the same issues.

Put on my production coreless 95as today (didn't wanna push hard, tired) and had a weirdly good session. Had to put a strong layer of wax on the metal coping of the ledge, and waxed the top a bunch when I wanted to some blunt tricks. Still catches more than a hard wheel and have to push them differently especially for like reg/sw crook.

And also just gotta accept that long slappies are a bit more unpredictable and don't feel as good, but I have like ten slappy tricks that I do over and over again so its not like I'm being held back from trying a new learn and sticking.

For times like today when I didn't wanna deal with more pushing and rough ground... it was worth it.

Kam from powell said the preproduction 95a should be the same as the production 95a, but they feel basically super similar to the production 93as.... so not sure what the deal is there.

Yeah maybe he's just not "in the know" on the specific small changes, because I have two 93a V6 56mm, one preproduction and one commercial release... And they have slightly different color, and the commercial release ones are definitely a bit faster.

The 95a sound promising from your description. Will have to eventually try those as well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5464 on: August 11, 2022, 09:15:27 PM »
Wait I thought you said a few pages ago you tried the 95 and the 97 too?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5465 on: August 11, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
Wait I thought you said a few pages ago you tried the 95 and the 97 too?

I've said it multiple times on THIS page, the 95a and 97a I have both have hubs (cores) in them, and skate pretty terribly. I have not skated 95a without cores: which people have said feel more like the 93a.

97a and 95a with hubs both majorly struggled with pebbles and sidewalk cracks. But it sounds like 95a without hub will be worth giving a chance to based on what I'm reading in here.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5466 on: August 11, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
Got it, I couldn't keep it straight. Thought the 95 were all coreless like the ones I got.

I'm going to try my 93 again at a couple spots and make sure the wax is even.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5467 on: August 12, 2022, 08:59:36 AM »
In case anybody in europe wants to get rid of their prototype wheels, I'm very interested.

Ideally 95a no cores, but I'd be down to try anything.

Sad about the october release, but very happy about the V5

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5468 on: August 12, 2022, 09:07:18 AM »
I just bought the new ricta 95a shanahan wheels, I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5469 on: August 12, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah maybe he's just not "in the know" on the specific small changes, because I have two 93a V6 56mm, one preproduction and one commercial release... And they have slightly different color, and the commercial release ones are definitely a bit faster.

The 95a sound promising from your description. Will have to eventually try those as well.

I marginally prefer my production 93as to my prototype 95as, purely for the slightly louder, some bark, if not for anything else. But I gave those away. Still the same opinion, but just was willing to deal with it given the circumstances. Think these are going to be a good "crust" and/or "tired" wheel. But not when I'm trying to learn new tricks or work on grinds/slides I don't have down very good.

I'm hoping the production 95s feel more like a proper hard wheel. If the 97s perform like a f4 99a, but are a tad more forgiving on soft ground, I'll be really hyped. Could totally see that being the case but won't find out for a while I guess

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #5470 on: August 12, 2022, 12:41:36 PM »
Hat off to the three posters that have made the last several pages an enjoyable read. I like opinions, too much group think with skateboard products.
(I’m part of the problem, I’ll stick with the f4s).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5471 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:24 PM »
Here's another annoying paid for promotional dragons vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wwmmaXElW0

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5472 on: August 12, 2022, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm hoping the production 95s feel more like a proper hard wheel. If the 97s perform like a f4 99a, but are a tad more forgiving on soft ground, I'll be really hyped. Could totally see that being the case but won't find out for a while I guess

This is what I've been hoping for/saying all along only to have that concept get shit on in favor of the second coming of christ in 93a form because someone skates in a fucking rock quarry.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5473 on: August 12, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »

Can't trust them.  Graphics are out.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5474 on: August 12, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"They literally sound like walmart wheels!" in an enthusiastic tone. I'll just skate harder wheels and let my bones rattle to dust.

Sidenote: I saw this reynolds story a few weeks ago and just thought of it now. I wonder if Spitfire is brewing a response.
Untitled by

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5475 on: August 12, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is what I've been hoping for/saying all along only to have that concept get shit on in favor of the second coming of christ in 93a form because someone skates in a fucking rock quarry.

Lmao yeah. I imagine for most ledge/rail/curb centric skaters that currently skate, and are happy with f4s and don't want something feeling very different, the 95 or 97 production ones will probably be much better.

93as serve a good purpose, but its not an f4 replacement unless you want something that feels very very different.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5476 on: August 12, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol, genuinely made me laugh. It feels like that sometimes.

I've tried to make it very clear from the start that the issues I had with the 95a were probably due to the hub/core. They were so close to being great, that I have high hopes for the official release.

Sorry if my excitement has been a bit much. After cycling through F4 97 and STF 99, I was getting pretty bummed that I wouldn't be able to find a good wheel for where I currently live... These came around at the perfect time for me, so I've been pretty ecstatic about spreading the word to anyone else that has to deal with Midwest crust.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5477 on: August 12, 2022, 03:32:53 PM »
It’s all good my dude!

Hubs/cores change the feel of wheels more than most realize; we don’t even know what duro those cores are…same as the wheel? Softer? Harder? Each one would have a different feel for sure.

I’m doubtful these would replace the 99a spit but a more forgiving wheel that feels like 100+ would be pretty special.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5478 on: August 12, 2022, 03:36:34 PM »
It’s all good my dude!

Hubs/cores change the feel of wheels more than most realize; we don’t even know what duro those cores are…same as the wheel? Softer? Harder? Each one would have a different feel for sure.

I’m doubtful these would replace the 99a spit but a more forgiving wheel that feels like 100+ would be pretty special.

I'm doubtful that it'll feel like a 100+. At least in terms of riding. Personally I don't see the need for anything that feels harder than an f4 99a unless you only skate perfect parks, in which case an stf should work just fine?

These 93as feel pretty true to 93 to me, like a 93-95ish vibe. So a 97 will probably perform like a harder wheel? But probably feel like a true 97 when riding. Just guessing

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #5479 on: August 12, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
https://youtu.be/KmnH0uqXasU
Say what you say about this dude but I felt like this was a good comparison of the Powell wheel. Tested it with 3 other wheels and made a fair assessment.

Didn't know Bones is coming out with their version. Wonder when they will come out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5480 on: August 12, 2022, 06:35:01 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s all good my dude!

[close]

I'm doubtful that it'll feel like a 100+. At least in terms of riding. Personally I don't see the need for anything that feels harder than an f4 99a unless you only skate perfect parks, in which case an stf should work just fine?

These 93as feel pretty true to 93 to me, like a 93-95ish vibe. So a 97 will probably perform like a harder wheel? But probably feel like a true 97 when riding. Just guessing

If the 95/97 come close the feel of the 97a spit but aren't gummy dead feeling/perform like a hard wheel, I'd a happy camper...but if they feel super close to a 99a spit, slide just as well or better, but are more forgiving...

I'd never choose these over a 101 spit or 103stf or SPF (or OJ elite 101a) in a park setting...makes zero sense unless that park is torn up/has a ton of primo pit marks.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
"They literally sound like walmart wheels!" in an enthusiastic tone. I'll just skate harder wheels and let my bones rattle to dust.

Sidenote: I saw this reynolds story a few weeks ago and just thought of it now. I wonder if Spitfire is brewing a response.
Untitled by

Having skated the 97a F4, I honestly can't figure out the need for a 95a F4....same goes for the Bones x...we're talking to duro here 95/97a logic would say 'just pick one'

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5481 on: August 12, 2022, 07:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It’s all good my dude!

[close]

[close]

If the 95/97 come close the feel of the 97a spit but aren't gummy dead feeling/perform like a hard wheel, I'd a happy camper...but if they feel super close to a 99a spit, slide just as well or better, but are more forgiving...

I'd never choose these over a 101 spit or 103stf or SPF (or OJ elite 101a) in a park setting...makes zero sense unless that park is torn up/has a ton of primo pit marks.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Untitled by
[close]

Having skated the 97a F4, I honestly can't figure out the need for a 95a F4....same goes for the Bones x...we're talking to duro here 95/97a logic would say 'just pick one'

Yes, but you like hard wheels. I have never gone above 99a so I would say why do we need a wheel harder than 101a and who cares about a B scale but you would probably scoff at my ignorance.

I can tell the difference between 99a, 98a, 97a, 95a and now 93a. I have ridden them all and know what I would pick for different set-ups or phases.

I suppose there is enough demand for 95a to where Spitfire can’t sit on the sidelines and let Powell eat up that market share. They probably already got caught with their pants down when STF or SPF hit the market.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5482 on: August 12, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
Say what you say about this dude but I felt like this was a good comparison of the Powell wheel. Tested it with 3 other wheels and made a fair assessment.

Didn't know Bones is coming out with their version. Wonder when they will come out.

He is sponsored by Powell and doesn't disclose this (I didn't bother watching the whole video so I don't know if he did disclose this later on, but generally this should be done at the beginning).

In general, you guys need to stop treating videos from Youtubers that Powell sponsors as unbiased reviews :v

- Zach Dolleing
- Dan Corrigan
- Christopher Hiett
- Whoever else has a Youtube channel in here: https://powell-peralta.com/team/

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5483 on: August 12, 2022, 08:22:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He is sponsored by Powell and doesn't disclose this (I didn't bother watching the whole video so I don't know if he did disclose this later on, but generally this should be done at the beginning).

In general, you guys need to stop treating videos from Youtubers that Powell sponsors as unbiased reviews :v

- Zach Dolleing
- Dan Corrigan
- Christopher Hiett
- Whoever else has a Youtube channel in here: https://powell-peralta.com/team/

Damn, good call. I had no idea who this guy was. That's scummy as fuck. I watched the video when it first got posted here, and I don't recall him disclosing that in the video.

EDIT: Looking at the thumbnail, I guess I should have known because who the fuck rides Powell Peralta griptape unless they are getting it for free lol...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5484 on: August 12, 2022, 09:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It’s all good my dude!

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, but you like hard wheels. I have never gone above 99a so I would say why do we need a wheel harder than 101a and who cares about a B scale but you would probably scoff at my ignorance.

I can tell the difference between 99a, 98a, 97a, 95a and now 93a. I have ridden them all and know what I would pick for different set-ups or phases.

I suppose there is enough demand for 95a to where Spitfire can’t sit on the sidelines and let Powell eat up that market share. They probably already got caught with their pants down when STF or SPF hit the market.

I still have some of the older Spitfire 92 and 95 Soft Ds (which are reasonable but not great), as well as the original formula 92s, 95s and 97s (which seem to hold up better), so although I have preferences for each with different terrain, I would also prefer something like the F4 95 duro wheels over the 97s, if it came down to it.

Sure the Formula Four 97s in both Conical Full and Classic shapes that I bought and have on boards are a bit more of an easier ride than the 99s or 101s on some things, but the 95s are just in the right duro bracket for all rounders, if the 99s are a bit too slippery.

If I had to choose, I would use the 99s as my normal wheel, then the 95s as my softer go to, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5485 on: August 12, 2022, 10:21:10 PM »

If I had to choose, I would use the 99s as my normal wheel, then the 95s as my softer go to, but that is just me.

100%.

Options are good. There is enough difference between the 99s and 97s that I am sure the 95s will be different enough to suit some people better than the 97s. I believe Spitfire have been talking about these for awhile... I'm curious if they are working on a new softer cruiser type wheel also, as the 80HDs really aren't that great and don't seem to be that available anymore.

Jennydeath

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5486 on: August 13, 2022, 09:46:13 AM »
any word on the bones experimental wheel release?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5487 on: August 13, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »

latest news was this i believe?

Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #5488 on: August 13, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »

I'm old enough to remember all this.

Before STFs, you'd hear the flatspotted wheel motorcycle sound every other day at the skatepark.

When STFs came out nobody wanted to skate anything else.

Then Formula 4s came out and within 2 years no one (on the east coast at least) was riding anything else.

If history repeats itself and we get even better wheels from both Bones and Spitfire that sounds good to me.

Jennydeath

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5489 on: August 13, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

latest news was this i believe?

Expand Quote
Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne
[close]

thanks!

anyone skate those Jim greco 55 conical wheels?