Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778464 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5850 on: October 31, 2022, 03:04:07 PM »
Is there a better, or at least comparable, version of a F4 99a Spitfire classic out there made by other manufacturers?  I’ve been skating the same set of 55 mm Spitfire classics for a while now and I’m hitting the natural urge to switch it up to try something new, but similar.  Any other brands out there that are making that shape come close to the performance of a 99a F4?

NFG MFG

https://www.nfgmfg.com/designs

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #5851 on: October 31, 2022, 03:11:51 PM »
Is there a better, or at least comparable, version of a F4 99a Spitfire classic out there made by other manufacturers?  I’ve been skating the same set of 55 mm Spitfire classics for a while now and I’m hitting the natural urge to switch it up to try something new, but similar.  Any other brands out there that are making that shape come close to the performance of a 99a F4?

You could check out OJ Elite EZ Edge and let us know how they fare.
I think a every brand has a “classic” shaped wheel. Bones has the V1 shape, that comes the closest.
What have you had in the past?

I’m OJ-curious myself. Everyone rides Spit or Bones where I live. Only seen one set of OJs in the wild.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #5852 on: October 31, 2022, 03:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You could check out OJ Elite EZ Edge and let us know how they fare.
I think a every brand has a “classic” shaped wheel. Bones has the V1 shape, that comes the closest.
What have you had in the past?

I’m OJ-curious myself. Everyone rides Spit or Bones where I live. Only seen one set of OJs in the wild.

I’ve skated pretty much all of the main Spitfire shapes over the past couple years.  I was skating wider wheels for a while so I’ve also skated a couple sets of Loopholes as well (the v-shape).  Haven’t skated classics in years and I’ve found that I like them better for most things.  Haven’t explored other classics shape options.  I know Loophole has them as well but haven’t tried them.  My main concern is avoiding wheels that don’t slide well.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5853 on: October 31, 2022, 03:29:46 PM »

I'm currently on some SML and have liked them in the past too. Hard, slide good and no flatspots. Never tried the their "classic" style shape and heard it's a different formula but I'm not 100 percent sure. Either way, a good non-spitfire brand to check out.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5854 on: October 31, 2022, 03:35:15 PM »

I've been where you are and... no.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #5855 on: October 31, 2022, 03:44:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been where you are and... no.

Haha that’s the answer I know in my heart and am afraid of finding out

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5856 on: October 31, 2022, 03:47:46 PM »
Unless your terrain really would suck with a 99a chances are you will like them a lot. Using grades they might be an A- or an A, but finding your A+ might take a lot of time and headache.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5857 on: November 01, 2022, 04:37:41 AM »
I'm currently on some SML and have liked them in the past too. Hard, slide good and no flatspots. Never tried the their "classic" style shape and heard it's a different formula but I'm not 100 percent sure. Either way, a good non-spitfire brand to check out.
I’m on SML AG atm, tried the OG formula but didn’t like them because I couldn’t get them to slide. The AG formula feels something like a little better spitfire classic for me. I’ve only ridden the OG wide shape, I’m not a fan of conical wheels. I had f4s before SML and was surprised that I actually started liking the SML’s a lot, usually after f4s other wheels just feel bad.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5858 on: November 01, 2022, 07:37:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

NFG MFG

https://www.nfgmfg.com/designs
yes, loopholes!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #5859 on: November 05, 2022, 05:18:24 PM »
What's the word on Wayward? Are they generic Creative Urethane?

Looking at the 101a round shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5860 on: November 05, 2022, 07:42:04 PM »
What's the word on Wayward? Are they generic Creative Urethane?

Looking at the 101a round shape.

Not sure how old they are but a couple of sets I have appear to be two different urethanes, one way more like SML and other similar wheels that go a bit yellow from initially being more milky coloured but hold up well and a touch more sticky than other brands, with the other sort way more white and having flatspot proof on the branding but definitely have a small flatspot on top of feeling super hard and slick on the same surfaces.

I don't really look much into them, but it seems like a lot of their wheels have been on significant sales for a while now, like shops overstocked on them and can't sell them, some places even giving them away for free with board purchases.

The sets I have are more of a medium width conical shape in 53 and 54mm which said 101 on the packaging for the same graphics and apart from the very small flatspot in the more white looking set, they both still skate fine on rough bitumen and raw concrete.  They felt too slick on the wooden ramps, as well as the flatspot really sounding annoying, which is why I skated them more on surfaces I don't feel or hear the flatspot.

Edit:

I had a look back over those boards and I think compared to most other wheels I have tried (not including Spitfire or Bones) they could be up there with the "best of the rest" in wheels.

If they are on sale where you are, just like they are here, they should be pretty good for the cheaper price for a decent value wheel.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 08:20:12 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #5861 on: November 06, 2022, 07:22:28 AM »
I searched the Quasi Wheels thread and couldn’t find the info I’m looking for. Anyone who has ridden these: Did they feel much different than the other more standard offerings from Creative? I tried some Satori 101A but they still seemed almost too grippy. I’m wondering how close to a higher grade urethane do they preform?

KinkyRailsRailed4u

• Rep: 87
  • Here For Friendship :)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5862 on: November 06, 2022, 08:05:24 AM »
These just got dropped officially. Does anyone know if they differ from the preproduction version?

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/x-formula
Kids don't know about kindness these days.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5863 on: November 06, 2022, 08:59:17 AM »

I've never tried the F4's but from what I know our Sml. OG formula is made by Aend (made the old Darkstar duel duro's before they became a board brand) they're really high quality. As other's have said it's has a little harder feel and high rebound so you gotta push them slides a bit but they don't flatspot. It's my favorite wheel as I've always been a blunt slider for many years and I love the sound and feel of them..it gives a nice screech.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5864 on: November 10, 2022, 07:05:53 AM »
finally got to try dragon wheels and they noseslide very good. much better than OJs, maybe just a tiny bit slower than F4s. the way they slide though feels so much smoother and more consistent even than f4. i feel like if you hit a dry patch then f4 get very jerky, where dragons just slow down nicely. i still think i prefer the way that f4 feels for doing long slides / slaps or just ledge skating in general if the surface is nicely waxed. it seems like they are more slick and faster. but dragon is really nice all around wheel.  i did not think to test how sharp i could turn on a manual / cut in to something but i think it would be better than the f4. so i will replace my OJ's with dragons next chance i get.
ONTARIO CANADA

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5865 on: November 13, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »
Anyone have these yet? They had them on skate one but sold out.  Waiting to see a review

Have they put them up for sale yet?  I have checked every few days and have only seen "Coming Soon"

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5866 on: November 13, 2022, 11:01:12 AM »
Anyone have these yet? They had them on skate one but sold out.  Waiting to see a review

I got set from my shop few months ago posted a bunch of thoughts many pages back.

They're basically a harder feeling dragon which is cool, but still drag and stick on grinds on metal and other stuff

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5867 on: November 13, 2022, 12:34:25 PM »
I've been too lazy to sell mine- I've got the 52's if anyone wants them. They were actually worse for me than Dragons it seems.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #5868 on: November 13, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
for anyone that has the experience, how do spitfire 101s feel compared to loophole/nfg? i've always stuck to the 99s when i buy spitfire, but those lil smokies have been tempting lately

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #5869 on: November 13, 2022, 02:49:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've never tried the F4's but from what I know our Sml. OG formula is made by Aend (made the old Darkstar duel duro's before they became a board brand) they're really high quality. As other's have said it's has a little harder feel and high rebound so you gotta push them slides a bit but they don't flatspot. It's my favorite wheel as I've always been a blunt slider for many years and I love the sound and feel of them..it gives a nice screech.

I get you have all the wheels you want but surprised you’ve never tried f4s.

Anyway hope sml is doing good and tell us where Knox is going   ;)

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #5870 on: November 14, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »
for anyone that has the experience, how do spitfire 101s feel compared to loophole/nfg? i've always stuck to the 99s when i buy spitfire, but those lil smokies have been tempting lately

The NFGs feel way smoother and more forgiving. Less rattly. I mostly skate rougher spots and some DIY, so that might play a role in how I feel but with F4 I gotta go 99 or 97.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #5871 on: November 14, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The NFGs feel way smoother and more forgiving. Less rattly. I mostly skate rougher spots and some DIY, so that might play a role in how I feel but with F4 I gotta go 99 or 97.

perfect answer, thanks!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5872 on: November 15, 2022, 09:56:26 AM »
I've been too lazy to sell mine- I've got the 52's if anyone wants them. They were actually worse for me than Dragons it seems.

I'll take'em if no one bit yet.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5874 on: November 18, 2022, 08:20:41 AM »
Powell just released Dragons in big ass sizes and shapes outta nowhere. 60mm Ratbones, 64mm G-Bones, and 58mm (V5 I think?).

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-x-44mm-93a-4pk

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-g-bones-skateboard-wheels-64mm-x-42mm-93a-4pk

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-rat-bones-ii-skateboard-wheels-58mm-x-33mm-93a-4pk

Interesting.

The art on the second one actually looks cool. That should be the default on all of them.

Yeah I think you're right about the third one being a 58mm V5 (don't think they've made that size/shape before?).

Still going to be sticking to 56mm V6 from now until eternity. Hopefully they give it some new graphics next batch though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:32:11 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5875 on: November 18, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »
Yeah I think you're right about the third one being a 58mm V5 (don't think they've made that size/shape before?).

It is V5.   They have made them in limited batches since at least '19.   

https://bones.com/bones-wheels-pro-stf-skateboard-wheels-bones-big-rigs-58mm-v5-sidecut-99a-4pk

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5876 on: November 18, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »
This what I was hoping for out of Powell. I've been riding the 56mm V6 dragons and they're great. Definitely gonna throw those 60mm rat bones on my cruiser board.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5877 on: November 18, 2022, 01:50:36 PM »
Powell just released Dragons in big ass sizes and shapes outta nowhere. 60mm Ratbones, 64mm G-Bones, and 58mm (V5 I think?).

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-x-44mm-93a-4pk

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-g-bones-skateboard-wheels-64mm-x-42mm-93a-4pk

Hot damn!!!

Those first ones certainly appeal to my old board senses, Rat Bones and Mini Cubic styles of wheels, and the G Bones would definitely be good for those guys who want even more grip than the current 97 duro on the normal G Bones.

I had to add the images in there, as they are too nice to not have something to look at as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5878 on: November 18, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
wow. dragons didnt pique my interest too much but im all over these big ones

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #5879 on: November 18, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
Yeah I’m gonna get the 64mm for the 9.5 heroin.