Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778049 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6270 on: March 08, 2023, 01:49:14 PM »
Did anybody ever actually measure the durometer of wheels? Preferably on the more accurate B-scale.

I just don't buy that F4 99a and STF 99a are actually the same hardness.
If F4 is a true 99a, then stf gotta be 98 or something.

It would generally be interesting to measure all kinds of wheels, since the A scale is inaccurate at high hardnesses, so a lot of wheels probably aren't what they claim. Especially "101a" wheels are probably all over the place.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #6271 on: March 08, 2023, 02:00:13 PM »
Did anybody ever actually measure the durometer of wheels? Preferably on the more accurate B-scale.

I just don't buy that F4 99a and STF 99a are actually the same hardness.
If F4 is a true 99a, then stf gotta be 98 or something.

It would generally be interesting to measure all kinds of wheels, since the A scale is inaccurate at high hardnesses, so a lot of wheels probably aren't what they claim. Especially "101a" wheels are probably all over the place.

Yeah, I’d definitely like to see a real comparison. I have both STF99A and F499A, and they’re so different.
In the cold my F4s slide all over the ramps, and the STF is much stickier.

NFG measured in the D scale or some other. Which they said is even better, since the B scale uses a pointier needle or something, which will make it inaccurate, as it will start to puncture the wheel before you can have an accurate reading.

Someone in the right spot with the right tools and knowhow, should definitely make a chart.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #6272 on: March 09, 2023, 09:46:18 AM »
I'm looking for wheels for a cruiser set up that'll be smoother than the 99a wheels on my normal set up, but will still let me do slappys, slides, and some occasional flip tricks. Anyone have any recommendations?

Some wheels I was looking at:

Spitfire 80HD - I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on here but something about these are really appealing
OJ Mini Super Juice 78A - I've heard good things about these but I'm afraid they might be too soft for what I'm looking for
Spitfire F4 97D - Not sure if these will be that much different than 99a but I'm curious. Also seem hard to find

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6273 on: March 09, 2023, 10:01:22 AM »
I'm looking for wheels for a cruiser set up that'll be smoother than the 99a wheels on my normal set up, but will still let me do slappys, slides, and some occasional flip tricks. Anyone have any recommendations?

Spitfire 80HD - I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on here but something about these are really appealing
OJ Mini Super Juice 78A - I've heard good things about these but I'm afraid they might be too soft for what I'm looking for
Spitfire F4 97D - Not sure if these will be that much different than 99a but I'm curious. Also seem hard to find

Bones x97

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6274 on: March 09, 2023, 10:01:32 AM »

If you still want to slide and stuff, the 97s are the only above that will do that. But they're really not a cruiser wheel in the truest sense, and will feel closer to the 99s than the rest. Still, they do rule.

OJ keyframes are decent. They'll roll over anything and while they're a little sticky on slides you can still pull them off. Once I broke my set in, I could even do little reverts on them.

I've heard good things about the Powell Dragons, but I have a bias against them.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 748
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6275 on: March 09, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »

I wouldn't consider F4 97a, they serve a different purpose that isn't for dedicated cruiser boards.

Powell Peralta Dragons are great for what you seem to want, and they come in a small variety of sizes. The one with the widest riding surface and diameter is the 60mm Rat Bones version. The G Bones version is 64mm but I think it has a smaller riding surface compared to the Rat Bones version.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6276 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wouldn't consider F4 97a, they serve a different purpose that isn't for dedicated cruiser boards.

Powell Peralta Dragons are great for what you seem to want, and they come in a small variety of sizes. The one with the widest riding surface and diameter is the 60mm Rat Bones version. The G Bones version is 64mm but I think it has a smaller riding surface compared to the Rat Bones version.

Seconding this. Dragons is the answer, they fit your needs profile to a T. Are they lame? Yeah, probably. But they also work great.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #6277 on: March 09, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »

Yeah powell dragons, feel pretty similar to an OJ keyframe, but a bit harder, when rolling. They slide and skate good. Not quite as good as a hard wheel but far better than anything else in that durometer range. You can just get the ones that are the same size and shape as your 99a street wheels too.

edit: (conflict of interest lol but I'm trying to sell some used, 56mm v6 dragons probably about 55mm now, I have too many sets of wheels, will let them go for very cheap if you're interested in trying)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 12:28:41 PM by tzhangdox »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
« Reply #6278 on: March 09, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »
I haven't spent much time on them so take my review with a grain of salt but the new 80HDs feel pretty good. Unlike some soft wheels they feel like a harder wheel that can mash over shitty surfaces with ease. I really like the Classic Full shape version. Mine are 56mm.

If you want to retain more a regular wheel 'feel' while riding the shittiest of surfaces, these could be it. If you prefer the feel of a soft wheel, I'd go with Mini Superjucies. Both seem to hold their speed as well as each other IMO. 80Hds will slide better, if you are one of those monsters that likes to slide cruiser wheels.

I hear Spitfire is working on some kind of hybrid wheel right now...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 04:38:05 PM by Frank and Fred »

elegant_fox

« Reply #6279 on: March 09, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »
I haven't spent much time on them so take my review with a grain of salt but the new 80HDs feel pretty good. Unlike some soft wheels they feel like a harder wheel that can mash over shitty surfaces with ease. I really like the Classic Full shape version. Mine are 56mm.

If you want to retain more a regular wheel 'feel' while riding the shittiest of surfaces, these could be it. If you prefer the feel of a soft wheel, I'd go with Mini Superjucies. Both seem to hold their speed as well as each other IMO. 80Hds will slide better, if you are one of those monsters that likes to slide crustier wheels.

I hear Spitfire is working on some kind of hybrid wheel right now...

Mini super juices are a blast on rough ground. They’re almost a long board wheel. They will bite and pitch you if you aren’t clean with the landing though.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6280 on: March 09, 2023, 05:51:52 PM »
OJ dual duro wheels release on 4/20 (of course that's the release date :v)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cpkyv5ZpAf0/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #6281 on: March 09, 2023, 09:21:25 PM »

The gimmick lover in me wants a set but at $56 that’s too much.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #6282 on: March 10, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
What wheels are best for bombing hills?  I have some 56mm 99a conical fulls, 54mm 99a tablets, 54mm 103a stf (forgot the version), but I’m open to getting a new set.  Going to hills I used to hit as a kid when I didn’t care or know anything about gear.

Edit: added duro
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 02:41:22 PM by metchup »

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #6283 on: March 10, 2023, 02:30:26 PM »
What wheels are best for bombing hills?  I have some 56mm conical fulls, 54mm tablets, 54mm stf (forgot the version), but I’m open to getting a new set.  Going to hills I used to hit as a kid when I didn’t care or know anything about gear.

radial fulls dawg

elegant_fox

« Reply #6284 on: March 10, 2023, 02:37:37 PM »
What wheels are best for bombing hills?  I have some 56mm conical fulls, 54mm tablets, 54mm stf (forgot the version), but I’m open to getting a new set.  Going to hills I used to hit as a kid when I didn’t care or know anything about gear.

Thunder juices

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #6285 on: March 11, 2023, 04:08:24 AM »
been on the Loophole 56Vs for a few weeks now. mostly sessions at new/smooth outdoor park that is very dusty due to ongoing construction around it. at first they were stupid slick but now they have good grip and a very loud bark (which i love). sometimes i feel like i'm crazy cause i honestly cant tell the subtle differences between wheels like some of you. considering i came from a set of 50mm tablets to these, it only took a couple hours to get used to them

nectar

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6286 on: March 11, 2023, 04:40:04 PM »
64 Powell Dragons

nectar

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6287 on: March 11, 2023, 04:42:13 PM »
64 Powell Dragons free image uploader

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #6288 on: March 11, 2023, 08:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where did you see they were going to be $56? Thunder Juice are 75mm and they’re not even that much.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6289 on: March 11, 2023, 08:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Where did you see they were going to be $56? Thunder Juice are 75mm and they’re not even that much.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #6290 on: March 11, 2023, 11:47:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer

Holy fuck! That price better drop or no one is buying them.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #6291 on: March 13, 2023, 12:27:15 PM »
Can anyone compare Ricta 101 vs OJ 101? Both Elite versions.

Skated a set of 53mm round shape Ricta 101s and grew fond of them. Curious how different the OJ Elite formula compares. Would be same shape and size.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6292 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:07 PM »
Can anyone compare Ricta 101 vs OJ 101? Both Elite versions.

Skated a set of 53mm round shape Ricta 101s and grew fond of them. Curious how different the OJ Elite formula compares. Would be same shape and size.

Both in 101a are very hard but Ricta slide much easier than the Elites, both are grippy, but Elites are grippy grippy (moreso, obviously, with the 99a); Ricta wear faster (just regular wear, not necessarily slide wear) and the 99a ricta slide better than an Elite 99 but not as good as a Spit 99 (but close enough to get by)..

The round Ricta and the OJ easy edge are essentially the same shape 32 mm wheel width, but the Ricta has a slightly smaller riding surface by 2 mm or so.  Ricta wide are essentially ok hardlines.

Big fan of the Ricta Mid shape (STF V5). What did you like about the round wheels?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:35:39 PM by Xen »

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #6293 on: March 13, 2023, 11:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. I ordered another set of the Rictas. For me they didn't slide that well when brand new but once worn in a bit they feel great.

Round shapes just look right to me. I think they slide/grind and flip better than square shapes as well.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6294 on: March 14, 2023, 09:05:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Since NFG was seemingly done I snagged a couple sets of the 58mm NFG Vee Shape (52D) wheels from the shop before they were potentially gone forever.

They looked weird to me so I measured. They’re all just slightly over 56mm in diameter. They’re also like a quarter inch narrower than the much older worn 54mm’s (52D) and not-so-worn 56mm’s (95A) that I have.

Weird.
I hope NFG isn’t done. Their original IG was gone but looks like there’s two (newer?) IG accounts: NFG NFG Distribution and NFG Manufacturing.

Anyone have more info?
Maybe they’re not done and instead they’re just… pivoting.
[close]

Not sure if they're completely done or not, the Wizard has been kind of vague about that. It doesn't sound like they sold the equipment and he seems to be on the fence about calling it a hiatus and coming back when they have some money to pay the technicians with. Either way around it we're going to be NFG-less for the forseeable future as I'm pretty sure they moved out of the building that they were using to make wheels out of.

That sizing inaccuracy is an old issue, they didn't account for the change in size that would happen in the manufacturing process when they ordered the molds, and those molds are pretty expensive so they used them regardless. They were planning on getting new and more accurate molds at some point but I guess couldn't get around to it.

Those instagram accounts are old, actually, they registered them so that no one else would take those usernames.
[close]
On the NFG front..  Looks like Loophole just posted about their Spring 23 prebook with "a new formula offered in 99a and 101a"  Seeing as NFG doesn't offer those duros points to Loophole possibly having jumped ship. https://www.instagram.com/p/CoqJDOMSnSW/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

What the fuck no shomo taketa wheel

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6295 on: March 14, 2023, 10:55:14 AM »
…but who’s pouring the wheels?

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6296 on: March 14, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »

Apparently a new company from SF according to their Instagram. I'm cool as long as it isn't creative

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6297 on: March 14, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
I get its a small company but putting up graphics for your wheels that you haven't made yet is some budget shit. Also my 56mm v cuts measured at 55mm and it seems to be most people's experience with em. Good wheels tho. At least the NFG poured ones.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6298 on: March 14, 2023, 12:38:06 PM »
I've been skating 52 mm 99a speedring slims for almost two years and I have no issues sliding at all. Yes, two years, i don't skate as transportation ever, don't bomb hills nearly as often as I should and I don't skate rough ground. They're actually great, but I'll switch them out for something when my isotopes and metallics show up this week. I think I'll start with the Tjs.

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6299 on: March 14, 2023, 12:57:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Apparently a new company from SF according to their Instagram. I'm cool as long as it isn't creative

Local SF is good, agreed and thanks for the info.