Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 818571 times)

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 69
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7650 on: May 17, 2024, 10:37:18 AM »
I was unable to find their website, but a friend of mine went on vacation to Europe and bought a setup out there with Crupie wheels and they were really slim. Reminded me of some of the old Ricta shapes.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7651 on: May 17, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
I was unable to find their website, but a friend of mine went on vacation to Europe and bought a setup out there with Crupie wheels and they were really slim. Reminded me of some of the old Ricta shapes.

Pretty sure Crupie is gone these days...pretty much DOA anyway.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #7652 on: May 17, 2024, 11:35:44 AM »
you can get them from concrete visionary. But they also had some weird hack/data breach thing. Maybe DM them first to see if their site or what they're doing.

also crupie isn't even that great of a wheel. I've flatted 2 pair.

satori has a nice slim shape available, which I've also skated. The 101s feel soft. IDK if they have a 99a slim
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:14:56 PM by TwisT »

CarcassToss

• Rep: 69
« Reply #7653 on: May 17, 2024, 04:00:51 PM »
I had some Satori 101 when they first came back and they felt like a slightly less icy (when new) 99 Spit but ever so slower on really smooth ground. Probably would be a good wheel.

rikki

• Rep: 334
« Reply #7654 on: June 01, 2024, 12:25:56 AM »
What's your method to rotating wheels? Just randomly or e.g. meticulously moving them around clockwise / ccw one step at a time? Or something else? And how often do you rotate them?

I've never really bothered about systematically rotating my wheels, but as you know, Slap puts things into your head...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7655 on: June 01, 2024, 12:42:11 AM »

That contact patch is laughably skinny especially against the Bones V3 of a similar size, probably 3-4 washers on the inside so the threads aren't completely wrecked.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7656 on: June 01, 2024, 01:40:39 AM »
What's your method to rotating wheels? Just randomly or e.g. meticulously moving them around clockwise / ccw one step at a time? Or something else? And how often do you rotate them?

I've never really bothered about systematically rotating my wheels, but as you know, Slap puts things into your head...

Most people usually wear the front toe on the angle from minimal on the inside worn down to significantly smaller outside, so that is the one to look at, also being the most visible.  That is followed by a more even wear all over on the back two, depending on how much you slide into or out of anything, usually the back toe with more wear to the outside, back heel more wear to the inside, then the front heel wears the least of all.

I have calipers so it is easy to see what size the wheels are and rotate accordingly, but regardless of whether you measure them or not, most of the time I am going to move the back toe to the front heel, then back heel to front toe positions, all still the same way facing outwards.

Some people will often rotate the wheels inside to outside as well on the same spots if they wear a little too much, but like anything, getting on to it before they wear a lot is the main thing.

I have some wheels that were never rotated from some people, front heel is still almost new at 54 mm, front toe down to 52 mm and badly coned, back two wheels both below 50 mm and fairly evenly matched, as the person did a lot of slide in / slide out type things and was heavy on the back foot, as well as never skating the board backwards, but when people rotate wheels or even skate the board more like a twin shape, there is a lot more even wear all round.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 179
« Reply #7657 on: June 02, 2024, 01:29:34 AM »

I’m a mechanic, so I rotate them like I do on a car. I usually rotate them when I clean my bearings, maybe 3 times a year. I flip them inside-out when I notice them starting to cone. I usually get about a year out of my wheels, almost all transition skating. I know this is some next level kooky madness but it seems to work

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7658 on: June 02, 2024, 05:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m a mechanic, so I rotate them like I do on a car. I usually rotate them when I clean my bearings, maybe 3 times a year. I flip them inside-out when I notice them starting to cone. I usually get about a year out of my wheels, almost all transition skating. I know this is some next level kooky madness but it seems to work

Not kooky at all - very good image to easily see what goes to where and yes that would work very well.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #7659 on: June 02, 2024, 08:19:10 PM »
I went through a weird phase a year ago skating OJ mini super juices as a main wheel. The nearest skatepark is an hour away and our spots are crusty and I wasn’t skateboarding every day at the time so sacrificing the ability to attempt tailslides, noseslides, and lipslides on ledges (our town doesn’t even really have a single good ledge spot) made sense to me. I had a lot of fun on them and I was naturally curious about the dragons when they came out and have since rode on two sets (I still have a pair of 58’s that might be closer to 54-55mm now). The dragons are great but whenever we visit a cement park, I can’t help but feeling a little slow cruising around on them. I got my first set of formula fours in years and previously rode them exclusively for nearly a decade… they feel fucking insane riding around town. I get stopped on any pebble I might touch in the parking lot and no rough patch in the ground goes unnoticed. I don’t even know that that the ability to slide on the 99’s is that much greater than dragons. I feel like if I really try to lean into one, I’m sliding out on 99’s and if I dial it back a bit, I’m not sliding farther than I could when I try to lean into Dragons. When formula four’s first came out, they were revolutionary for me. I just want to be back on Dragons after two days on the formula fours but I’m just going to be stubborn and try to get used to them.

pops

• Rep: 263
« Reply #7660 on: June 03, 2024, 01:10:55 AM »
I went through a weird phase a year ago skating OJ mini super juices as a main wheel. The nearest skatepark is an hour away and our spots are crusty and I wasn’t skateboarding every day at the time so sacrificing the ability to attempt tailslides, noseslides, and lipslides on ledges (our town doesn’t even really have a single good ledge spot) made sense to me. I had a lot of fun on them and I was naturally curious about the dragons when they came out and have since rode on two sets (I still have a pair of 58’s that might be closer to 54-55mm now). The dragons are great but whenever we visit a cement park, I can’t help but feeling a little slow cruising around on them. I got my first set of formula fours in years and previously rode them exclusively for nearly a decade… they feel fucking insane riding around town. I get stopped on any pebble I might touch in the parking lot and no rough patch in the ground goes unnoticed. I don’t even know that that the ability to slide on the 99’s is that much greater than dragons. I feel like if I really try to lean into one, I’m sliding out on 99’s and if I dial it back a bit, I’m not sliding farther than I could when I try to lean into Dragons. When formula four’s first came out, they were revolutionary for me. I just want to be back on Dragons after two days on the formula fours but I’m just going to be stubborn and try to get used to them.

This is pretty much me. I'm so adapted to Powell 93s and I never skate smooth skatepark surface so I dont necessarily need a harder wheel. Dragons work nicely for concrete ledges for me. I recently put my F4 99/97s on my setup to give them a try for once more. No way I'm going back on those harder wheels. I feel like skating on rocks. Still, I'm curious to try out the new 97s when they come out. I wish Dragons had more size options, I would love V6 60mm wheel.

Dmng

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7661 on: June 03, 2024, 03:53:36 AM »
Interesting ! Would you have the same opinion on x99 being too hard since you have dragon ?
I’m debating trying spitfire at some point out of curiosity but struggling more to cruise to a spot could be an issue for me

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7662 on: June 03, 2024, 04:54:14 AM »
Interesting ! Would you have the same opinion on x99 being too hard since you have dragon ?
I’m debating trying spitfire at some point out of curiosity but struggling more to cruise to a spot could be an issue for me

I've ridden Bones X97, X99 and most recently the F4 93a. I'd put the X97 and 93a in the same league in terms of being good ATV shapes for cruising to spots and park sessions, especially on a wider shape like the V5, V6 or Radial. At a skinnier wheel shape they are good technical wheel but you'll still need to put effort into you pushes for rougher spots.

I had the X99 on the V1 shape which is really skinny, I'd feel better about them if I'd got them in a V5 shape. They have the signature slide of a Bones STF as well as the hard vibrations albeit to a lesser degree.

Didn't ride the 93a but tested out the 95a samples and based on that they felt the most like a traditional cruiser wheel that was hard enough to pop your tricks on. Pretty sticky for slides but pushing to spots was way easier.

TLDR - 93a Radials or X97 V5, the latter of which doesn't get enough love.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

« Reply #7663 on: June 03, 2024, 06:49:08 AM »
Yeah, with the influx off all these "new generation" wheels, my 40+ ass might just be sorted for life.

The X99 are awesome on smoother ground and indoor parks but are fast and can handle a bit of crust. The X97 are great on rougher stuff while performing like a wheel that feels "normal/real" -- as are the new Spit 93 (which I might like even better than the X97). And yeah, the Dragons are always there if the going gets ultra-rough -- provided that they feel a bit too soft and slow on smoother surfaces, as others have pointed out.

It might just be that I don't need to step on "normal" 99s/101s ever again, unless I end up skating smooth transition only. Might set up a separate tranny complete with harder park wheels at some point, but recently I've ended up riding my Spit 93s in smooth parks too. Too lazy to repeatedly swap between wheels on the same complete.

Btw, with regards to wheels feeling like rocks -- I switched from my X99s (my wheel of choice for the whole last winter, indoor season up here) to OJ Elite 99s for one session just for the fun of it and they really felt like dead hard rocks after being used to the added comfort of the X99s. I quickly switched the X99s back on and never looked back.

Evolution, what's not to love?

Dmng

« Reply #7664 on: June 03, 2024, 07:08:19 AM »
Nice recaps thanks ! Would you say spitfire formula4 are much harder than x99 bones when cruising to the spot ? If yes I might stay on x99 forever haha

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7665 on: June 03, 2024, 07:34:40 AM »
Nice recaps thanks ! Would you say spitfire formula4 are much harder than x99 bones when cruising to the spot ? If yes I might stay on x99 forever haha

I'd say the x99 still feels slightly harder than a F4 99a, like a traditional 101a "should" feel. Definitely go with a wider X99 shape like the V5 or V6 if you plan on pushing between spots and save the V1s for smooth parks.

From personal experience this is how I'd rate them softest to hardest:
Dragons 93a
F4 93a / Bones Easy Streets aka 99a (maybe the Spitfire 97a, mixed reviews on them, haven't ridden them)
F4 99a / X97
X99
F4 101a
Bones STF 103a
Bones SPF 83b
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #7666 on: June 03, 2024, 08:37:28 AM »
accurate recap from all above.
i’m consistently surprised at the difference in speed between the wheels. smooth park and the softer formulas are slower, everywhere else and the soft wheels are faster. including a fairly flat, decently smooth blacktop parking lot i skate frequently. f4s with the best bearings are way slower than dragons with mini logo bearings (tbf the dragons i have are 55 and wide, and most of the f4s i skate are 54 classics and smaller. i did try a set of f4 56 radial fulls, and with good bearings they were still slower than dragons).
i have some v1 52 x97s and they work a treat on venture lo’s.

all that being said, something still ‘feels’ wrong about the soft wheels, unless i’m going for distance/transportation. the bounce in the throw down, the sound, not sick. speed checks just fine, just different.
because i buy more shit than i should, at some point i might try the new spitfire 97 formula.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #7667 on: June 03, 2024, 09:15:58 AM »
accurate recap from all above.
i’m consistently surprised at the difference in speed between the wheels. smooth park and the softer formulas are slower, everywhere else and the soft wheels are faster. including a fairly flat, decently smooth blacktop parking lot i skate frequently. f4s with the best bearings are way slower than dragons with mini logo bearings (tbf the dragons i have are 55 and wide, and most of the f4s i skate are 54 classics and smaller. i did try a set of f4 56 radial fulls, and with good bearings they were still slower than dragons).
i have some v1 52 x97s and they work a treat on venture lo’s.

all that being said, something still ‘feels’ wrong about the soft wheels, unless i’m going for distance/transportation. the bounce in the throw down, the sound, not sick. speed checks just fine, just different.
because i buy more shit than i should, at some point i might try the new spitfire 97 formula.

All of this, 100%

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7668 on: June 03, 2024, 11:59:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say the x99 still feels slightly harder than a F4 99a, like a traditional 101a "should" feel. Definitely go with a wider X99 shape like the V5 or V6 if you plan on pushing between spots and save the V1s for smooth parks.

Dragons 93a
F4 93a / Bones Easy Streets aka 99a (maybe the Spitfire 97a, mixed reviews on them, haven't ridden them)
F4 99a / X97
X99
F4 101a
Bones STF 103a
Bones SPF 83b

Interesting take on x99s being harder than F4 99s (my experience was the opposite*); they perform like 99a spits but still feel bouncier/absorb more crust. *caveat here is that my black set of x99s v6s feel like spit 99s, whereas the white x99s did not. Much like how the old colored (especially the yellow) STFs felt better/hardder than the white.

I do agree that the x97s are underrated but still find them too close to the dragons and dislike the pinch stick/squeal. I just can't have that regardless of brand.

Knees been hurting so I skated the spit 93s yesterday (flipped a coin, them or x99s). I did stick a bit more on tail/nose/blunt slides compared to 103a stfs (but that's a given) but still LOVE they way they sound and feel and cannot wait for the reformulated spit 97s...those are going to be 'it'
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:56:15 PM by Xen »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 179
« Reply #7669 on: June 03, 2024, 12:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Dragons 93a
F4 99a / X97
X99
F4 101a
Bones STF 103a
Bones SPF 83b
[close]

Interesting take on x99s being harder than F4 99s (my experience was the opposite*); they perform like 99a spits but stiff feel bouncier/absorb more crust. *caveat here is that my black set of x99s v6s feel like spit 99s, whereas the white x99s did not. Much like how the old colored (especially the yellow) STFs felt better/hardder than the white.

I do agree that the x97s are underrated but still find them too close to the dragons and dislike the pinch stick/squeal. I just can't have that regardless of brand.

Knees been hurting so I skated the spit 93s yesterday (flipped a coin, them or x99s). I did stick a bit more on tail/nose/blunt slides compared to 103a stfs (but that's a given) but still LOVE they way they sound and feel and cannot wait for the reformulated spit 97s...those are going to be 'it'

That’s my experience too, x99s feel softer and grippier than F4 99s

skatebruh

• Rep: 35
« Reply #7670 on: June 03, 2024, 01:17:30 PM »
X99 feels slightly softer than F4 99a to me.

But also…

X99 feels faster and slides better on asphalt.

F4 99 feels faster and slides better on skatepark concrete.

I absolutely believe you could find X99 feeling harder depending on the ground.

I have spent too much money on wheels over the past year.

rikki

« Reply #7671 on: June 03, 2024, 01:21:58 PM »

Interesting take on x99s being harder than F4 99s (my experience was the opposite*); they perform like 99a spits but still feel bouncier/absorb more crust. *caveat here is that my black set of x99s v6s feel like spit 99s, whereas the white x99s did not. Much like how the old colored (especially the yellow) STFs felt better/hardder than the white.

Very much agreed. In my experience there's no way X99s feel harder than F4 99s.

But yeah, there's a pretty big difference between the X99 and the X97. The former is, at the risk of repeating myself ad infititum, probably my favorite wheel these days, with the 93 spits (which, reeeeallly guys, admit it, don't feel like an actual 93 at all but more like a, let's say, 97-ish) at a close second.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7672 on: June 03, 2024, 01:39:43 PM »
X99 feels slightly softer than F4 99a to me.

But also…

X99 feels faster and slides better on asphalt.

F4 99 feels faster and slides better on skatepark concrete.

I absolutely believe you could find X99 feeling harder depending on the ground.

I have spent too much money on wheels over the past year.

Yes.

Expand Quote

[close]

Very much agreed. In my experience there's no way X99s feel harder than F4 99s.

But yeah, there's a pretty big difference between the X99 and the X97. The former is, at the risk of repeating myself ad infititum, probably my favorite wheel these days, with the 93 spits (which, reeeeallly guys, admit it, don't feel like an actual 93 at all but more like a, let's say, 97-ish) at a close second.

Yeah, those spit 93s...feel muuuch closer to a harder wheel than they do to the 93 dragons (tho the sound profile could make our brains think they are?). If spit 93=97s then new spit 97s = 99s (please please please be tru).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7673 on: June 03, 2024, 07:36:59 PM »
Could just be my experience with the X99 in the V1 shape, the narrow contact patch was unforgiving on the rough park I frequent. And I was between lots of wheels at the time (X97, SML AG) so my judgement of F4 99a was clouded.

Updated per feedback:
Dragons 93a
X97
X99
F4 99a
F4 101a
Bones STF 103a
Bones SPF 83b
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7674 on: June 03, 2024, 09:05:01 PM »
Awww, don't update your 'personal feedback' list with forum feedback; gets cloudy that way.

Dmng

« Reply #7675 on: June 03, 2024, 11:42:35 PM »
The bones V5 are described less narrow than v1, is it when they get used and the contact patch gets bigger?
Because from the measurement they give it seems very similar apart from the side cut (so v5 being a bit lighter ?)
Bones are usually much narrower than spitfire right?

rikki

« Reply #7676 on: June 04, 2024, 02:05:46 AM »

If spit 93=97s then new spit 97s = 99s (please please please be tru).

Yes. May the circle be unbroken. Could we get a Spit equivalent of the X99? Fingers crossed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7677 on: June 04, 2024, 10:41:25 AM »
The bones V5 are described less narrow than v1, is it when they get used and the contact patch gets bigger?
Because from the measurement they give it seems very similar apart from the side cut (so v5 being a bit lighter ?)
Bones are usually much narrower than spitfire right?

V1/V2/V3 Are narrower than everything but certain tablet sizes. Talking about 52mm yeah the V5 is the thinner wheel, other than that mostly the same dims.

As an aside, STFs are seemingly, DEAD. Such a bummer, competition is good, skinny wheels, also good.

They're not listed under formulas or wheel categories anymore (not fully gone from the site just from main navigation).

Jackismydogsname

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #7678 on: June 04, 2024, 04:06:20 PM »
I just emailed about STF as I prefer them on my local metal mini ramp,
They are going to release a new round of STFs in a month.
I was worried and wasn't sure if I should buy a few sets before they stop making them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7679 on: June 04, 2024, 04:13:44 PM »
I just emailed about STF as I prefer them on my local metal mini ramp,
They are going to release a new round of STFs in a month.
I was worried and wasn't sure if I should buy a few sets before they stop making them.

Whew. I was getting ready to horde some once they were gone from the website.