Author Topic: BATB 8  (Read 186038 times)

carbonite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BATB 8
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »
clickbait game crazy

wattscain

« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So that Kevin Ramsay kid was voted in this thing over Daewon and Gonz? Has Berra come out and at least admitted yet that the vote was a complete fraud?
[close]

You assume that Daewon or Gonz wanted to be in the BATB. Even if they were voted in, that doesn't mean they had to or even wanted to participate. I have no reason to assume the voting wasn't legit. It makes more sense that they had to balance votes with people's schedules, injuries, or just plain desire to do it. Mike Mo isn't in it and I would put money on that he got votes (he was on the list) especially since similar winners got in like Cole, PJ and Rodriguez. But Mike Mo is still injured so I'm certain that bumped someone else up.
[close]

It goes to show that they just put names on to generate traffic. If you put people on a list where people believe they're voting for them to skate in a contest, and they haven't even confirmed that the person is willing to participate, that makes the poll not legit.
[close]

And I'm quite okay with that if that was their goal. The Berrics is the last place I look for a pure example of democracy. As long as they put out good videos, whatever their method, I'm happy. Would you want to be the person to call around and see who is available and who is not considering the number of pros out there? It's probably more feasible to just throw the names out there and see what sticks.

Also don't people get nominated to do things all the time but decline. Kind of like write in votes on a ballot, it doesn't make the election less legitimate.

[close]

Part of what makes it funny/annoying is Berra bitched about Nyjah not winning SOTY after he received the most votes on Thrasher's website and how it's bullshit to put up the poll and not listen to the kids that voted for him.� That's why he started his whole "people's choice" thing on The Berrics (which, ironically, Nyjah didn't win either).� So to complain about Thrasher not listening to people's votes only to then not listen to people's vote regarding BATB is a little if not hypocritical, then definitely stupid, don't you think?� It wouldn't matter if these people who received the most votes weren't in BATB if Berra hadn't taken Thrasher to task for doing something that he himself does.

Do you know for certain that the votes were not counted or do you just want to believe that because you might have some bias against the Berrics or Berra personally. Unless you got some inside scoop, I don't see any reason to think otherwise. Why are people so surprised that
some other people didn't get into the BATB. Mark Suciu was on the original list and I thought he would be one of the odds on favorites to get in. Maybe he didn't or maybe he did but could not commit. Either way, I'm happy for the games we got because I love watching pros skate flatground and I'm glad to leave my personal politics or hang ups out of it.  

wattscain

« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
Whats funny to me is every game goes from good looking popped and usually fast skating.... to out of nowhere... slow and non popped skidded and slid tricks..lol. I lose interest right at that point.

I don't know about you're game against Kennedy, but I think these games run a little longer than what is seen. They are only going to edit this stuff to show a letter or a change in offense/defense. They probably get sick of trying to look cute and just want to get the trick over with.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
Nah... They typically put all tries in there.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
That Kevin guy seemed the pinnacle of the boring Canadian skater archetype: fully fitted in dope-ass-chill-ass Red Dragons Apparel, no affect to his voice, and rocking some nice ear buds (bumping sweet sounds, we can only assume; like Nickelback).

Also, what a strange chin. I'm 99.99% certain a young skater boi like him wouldn't go under the knife; but, in any other circumstances, I'd assume you'd only get a chin like that via plastic surgery.

And, unrelated to this kid, does anyone else find Canadian skaters, on average, more bland? Like, even if their maneuvers are gnarly, their footage is more likely to just come off kind of staid? In a nationality-based sense, I'd say Canadians are the antithesis of Australians; the latter group seemly producing the most watchable, raucous, getting-buck skaters per capita.

3/10

ohtight

• Rep: 20
« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »
I understand the Joes are nervous and all but he missed a b/s flip. Come on.

koston missed a bs flip in today's game  ???
zzz

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:27 AM »
That Kevin guy seemed the pinnacle of the boring Canadian skater archetype: fully fitted in dope-ass-chill-ass Red Dragons Apparel, no affect to his voice, and rocking some nice ear buds (bumping sweet sounds, we can only assume; like Nickelback).

Also, what a strange chin. I'm 99.99% certain a young skater boi like him wouldn't go under the knife; but, in any other circumstances, I'd assume you'd only get a chin like that via plastic surgery.

And, unrelated to this kid, does anyone else find Canadian skaters, on average, more bland? Like, even if their maneuvers are gnarly, their footage is more likely to just come off kind of staid? In a nationality-based sense, I'd say Canadians are the antithesis of Australians; the latter group seemly producing the most watchable, raucous, getting-buck skaters per capita.
Don't think I've heard Rick Howard, McCrank, Haslem or Apples being called bland before.

Also for those that don't know the game is up if you use the trick of removing pregame from the URL

http://theberrics.com/batb-8-eric-koston-vs-miles-silvas

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2015, 05:01:10 AM »
Kostons switch back 3's are so good. I'd kill to have that trick. I've landed a couple before, but it was the shitty cheater version (switch 180 with a sketchy and slow 180 pivot at the end).

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »
Best game of this round so far.  Koston looks like his style has improved, straight up killed it!

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2015, 06:42:28 AM »
Koston stylin on you.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65234
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »
yes Koston looked really good and comfortable on his board again. That second switch varial heelflip was tight.

Makes ya wonder if he still has one more killer part in him. 

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2015, 09:38:43 AM »
Koston looking good other than that subversive switch flip. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
I never saw Koston missin a ss 360 flip on a battle

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #314 on: April 05, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »
Sick game, looking forward to seeing more of Miles.  And I know Koston has one more epic part in him.  I am just hoping he allows the good dork-tricks in there like Chomp On This.  I also thought it was funny in the pre-interview he said he is skating a lot despite what his social media says.  He looked a little sad, heheh.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #315 on: April 05, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So that Kevin Ramsay kid was voted in this thing over Daewon and Gonz? Has Berra come out and at least admitted yet that the vote was a complete fraud?
[close]

You assume that Daewon or Gonz wanted to be in the BATB. Even if they were voted in, that doesn't mean they had to or even wanted to participate. I have no reason to assume the voting wasn't legit. It makes more sense that they had to balance votes with people's schedules, injuries, or just plain desire to do it. Mike Mo isn't in it and I would put money on that he got votes (he was on the list) especially since similar winners got in like Cole, PJ and Rodriguez. But Mike Mo is still injured so I'm certain that bumped someone else up.
[close]

It goes to show that they just put names on to generate traffic. If you put people on a list where people believe they're voting for them to skate in a contest, and they haven't even confirmed that the person is willing to participate, that makes the poll not legit.
[close]

And I'm quite okay with that if that was their goal. The Berrics is the last place I look for a pure example of democracy. As long as they put out good videos, whatever their method, I'm happy. Would you want to be the person to call around and see who is available and who is not considering the number of pros out there? It's probably more feasible to just throw the names out there and see what sticks.

Also don't people get nominated to do things all the time but decline. Kind of like write in votes on a ballot, it doesn't make the election less legitimate.

I mean, that's generally how booking people works...

wattscain

« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This ain't Lollapalooza. I would think that getting skaters together for something like this would be like, to use a tired cliche, herding cats. You obviously see a problem with what they did although no one really knows what they did (unless there is a Berrics employee to settle this). These are the people who are in it and I don't think it should really matter what method the Berrics used to make it happen.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually like skateboarding or just the ideal of skateboarding. 

straight

« Reply #317 on: April 05, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This ain't Lollapalooza. I would think that getting skaters together for something like this would be like, to use a tired cliche, herding cats. You obviously see a problem with what they did although no one really knows what they did (unless there is a Berrics employee to settle this). These are the people who are in it and I don't think it should really matter what method the Berrics used to make it happen.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually like skateboarding or just the ideal of skateboarding. 

Theberrics is the ideal of skateboarding

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #318 on: April 05, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The point is that people don't like how they just invite the same people year after year and then pretend as if this is what "we" have spoken for by fake nominating people who don't want to be in it/can't be in it/aren't even allowed at The Berrics.

wattscain

« Reply #319 on: April 05, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The point is that people don't like how they just invite the same people year after year and then pretend as if this is what "we" have spoken for by fake nominating people who don't want to be in it/can't be in it/aren't even allowed at The Berrics.

There have been 8 of these events and they have only done popular voting for 2 of them. Most of the games have been invite only with no input from the public. And maybe that's a good thing. If you don't like the same people, I get it. It doesn't bother me because I would probably do the same thing because I would want to guarantee that the matches are relatively consistent. The more you spread it out to the huge number of pros, the more lopsided I think the games will be. At least with the same people, you know that you have people who have enough skill to make the matches a good back and forth (give or take a few outliers). Do you really want to see Shane O'neill vs Tony Hawk or Mark Gonzales? I sure as hell don't.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #320 on: April 05, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »
Lizzie, I'm starting to assume you are either 12 or work for the berrics.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

jomeara1

« Reply #321 on: April 05, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
I'm always getting confused between Miles Silvas, Mason Silva, and Alex Midler for some reason.

wattscain

« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

Haha, I like the guessing but neither are true. But maybe I take the 12 year old comment as a compliment. I always try to remember what skating was like for me when I was young. Remember, it's that under 18 age group that's probably responsible for any these dudes to make a living skating.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: April 05, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, I like the guessing but neither are true. But maybe I take the 12 year old comment as a compliment. I always try to remember what skating was like for me when I was young. Remember, it's that under 18 age group that's probably responsible for any these dudes to make a living skating.

And you should be very proud of yourself.  ;)

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #324 on: April 05, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
Wasn't r feeling Miles's fit so I wasn't bummed Eric (thunders) Koston won.

That ss back 3 was fucking unreal

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #325 on: April 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
That was a nerve racking game. I was nervous, and Miles and Koston both skated like the were nervous. It was weird to see that many missed tricks in game. Also looked like Miles almost rolled his ankle on that first attempt on the heelflip. Imagine if someone hurt themselves at BATB?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
Miles' kickflip was the jam

149cleveland

• Rep: 0
« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
You guys I think Koston is on the come up. I kno he's an 0lder sk8ter but this could be his big br8k.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »
You assume that Daewon or Gonz wanted to be in the BATB.

Don't put them on the ballet then. Pretty simple stuff.

lol.... +1 have to basically agree. Plenty of exceptions of course, Mcrank,Travis Stenger, Wad Desarmo, etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:23:20 PM by NickDagger »
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Erngh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
haven't watched it yet or read anything. i expect eric koston doing a pressure flip and complaining