Author Topic: Bitter Woman Writes Worst Article on Skating Ever  (Read 6773 times)

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
Re: Bitter Woman Writes Worst Article on Skating Ever
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
In the comments, the author mentions that her article is an opinion, therefore, it does not need to uphold journalist standards (as low as they may be). Of course, any major publication knows that opinions can only express feelings about subjective issues (i.e., "I like equestrian mountainboarding because____"). Don't they?

abudabi

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
In the comments, the author mentions that her article is an opinion, therefore, it does not need to uphold journalist standards (as low as they may be). Of course, any major publication knows that opinions can only express feelings about subjective issues (i.e., "I like equestrian mountainboarding because____"). Don't they?
you can say anything you want about skateboarding, who's gonna sue?

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
Berta Lovejoy finally left the youtube comments section and got a job for Wired

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
She really needs to pick a more worthy cause rather than skateboarding. Video games, tennis and cycling are closer to a gender balance in terms of participation levels, yet inequality still exists there.

What a revelation though... less females in an activity = less females showcased at the highest levels of an activity.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

She's a real gal on the go!

southsecond

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »

Yeah, this cop-out was in response to a lengthy and excellent comment by MoFo.

"I think you make excellent points. Just want to point out this was an Opinion piece, running in the Opinion section, and not an article written by a journalist."

At least she knows it wasn't an "article" and that she's not a "journalist."

straight

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

She's a real gal on the go!

Is it true that the gay guys and lezbians don't like each other?

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »
Fuck you guys are depressing. This whole fucking thread is jock-mentality, white privilege in a nutshell.

Why are so many of you attacking the author for an op-Ed piece that's a perfectly valid viewpoint? Silicon Valley is full of dudes giving each other reach-arounds and raises, but you're screwed (figuratively) if you're a lady. So by trying to praise Rodney�who comes from a very similar culture�as a new savior, is frightening if you don't happen to be part of that group.

I don't get the ad hominem attacks. The author may be bummed she got broken off and lost her sponsors, but that doesn't explain why all the other female skaters quit. Unless dickheads like you scared them away... Which would validate her point that skaters aren't good spokespeople. Maybe you're afraid female skaters are going to get better than you and steal your last chance at ever being sponsored?

/shit stirring>

Fyi, this article is in response to this one, http://www.wired.com/2015/01/rodney-mullen/ posted a little over three weeks ago.

More fuel for the fire
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-women-tech-20150222-story.html#page=1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:34:26 PM by Pavementi »
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
"You rarely see these women featured in skateboard magazines, and when you do, the highest praise is typically "She skates like a man!"
I challenge the author to find one time this has ever been said in a magazine or publication or in real life anywhere.

I think for about 95% of the times I've seen a female skater in my life, someone in my immediate vicinity has brought up the idea of whether she's hot, who of their friends is going to bang her first, and in the case of sponsored girls, insistence they could beat her in skate/do that trick/blah blah.

why aren't women as prevalent in skating as men? simply boils down to a numbers game. far more males try skateboarding than females....to quite an astounding degree. it's not some grand conspiracy designed by some evil male geniuses in a shady back room. it's that more men are interested in sports or s.t.e.m. or politics much in the same way that more women are interested in gymnastics or medicine or teaching.

and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's not that simple. You're correct that it's not a conspiracy. It's rather a LONGtime cultural setup that, in general, doesn't encourage girls to do much of anything besides be pretty. It's a lot more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

It's far more sexist to put a photo of a girl 50-50'ing an 8 stair rail in Thrasher because she's a girl. It's sexist and condescending. Hold women to the same standards as men if you gender equality in skating, when a woman does tricks good enough to get in the magazines, like Nora Vasconcellos, then let her in. Until then don't condescend and put a mediocre trick in simply because "well shes a girl."

Come on dude. When the mantra of SLAP is essentially "I'd rather watch ____ push down the sidewalk than ____ nollie hardflip a 69 stair," I think it's pretty silly when people complain that a girl isn't good enough rather than just get hyped on dope shit happening.

If you ask me, the problem is not enough girls being encouraged to skate, and all those little (and plenty large) bits of discouragement add up against that. If a pro female isn't doing stuff up to snuff of Alec Majerus or whatever, but gets new girls stoked to skate, then who cares?

And I agree with the general sentiment that the points she has are pretty muddled in a disjointed argument made by somebody who is out of touch.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »
anyone else notice they changed the name of the article?

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
"She does not have ... girl skater ahhss"

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
This is like bashing the NBA for nobody giving a shit about the WNBA. It comes down to skill. But she also blames the "evil male-oriented marketing" of the industry she also admits to not follow. She honestly expects skateboarding to market towards the .5% of it's population who are female? Great business strategy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:27:28 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote
"You rarely see these women featured in skateboard magazines, and when you do, the highest praise is typically "She skates like a man!"
I challenge the author to find one time this has ever been said in a magazine or publication or in real life anywhere.
[close]

I think for about 95% of the times I've seen a female skater in my life, someone in my immediate vicinity has brought up the idea of whether she's hot, who of their friends is going to bang her first, and in the case of sponsored girls, insistence they could beat her in skate/do that trick/blah blah.

Expand Quote
why aren't women as prevalent in skating as men? simply boils down to a numbers game. far more males try skateboarding than females....to quite an astounding degree. it's not some grand conspiracy designed by some evil male geniuses in a shady back room. it's that more men are interested in sports or s.t.e.m. or politics much in the same way that more women are interested in gymnastics or medicine or teaching.

[close]

It's not that simple. You're correct that it's not a conspiracy. It's rather a LONGtime cultural setup that, in general, doesn't encourage girls to do much of anything besides be pretty. It's a lot more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Expand Quote
It's far more sexist to put a photo of a girl 50-50'ing an 8 stair rail in Thrasher because she's a girl. It's sexist and condescending. Hold women to the same standards as men if you gender equality in skating, when a woman does tricks good enough to get in the magazines, like Nora Vasconcellos, then let her in. Until then don't condescend and put a mediocre trick in simply because "well shes a girl."
[close]

Come on dude. When the mantra of SLAP is essentially "I'd rather watch ____ push down the sidewalk than ____ nollie hardflip a 69 stair," I think it's pretty silly when people complain that a girl isn't good enough rather than just get hyped on dope shit happening.

If you ask me, the problem is not enough girls being encouraged to skate, and all those little (and plenty large) bits of discouragement add up against that. If a pro female isn't doing stuff up to snuff of Alec Majerus or whatever, but gets new girls stoked to skate, then who cares?

And I agree with the general sentiment that the points she has are pretty muddled in a disjointed argument made by somebody who is out of touch.

You're implying that the majority of the skate community is not supportive/hyped on the female skate community, which simply isn't true in my experience. People on here are complaining because the author, with her jaded, out of touch views of the skate industry, honestly expects skateboarding to spend it's money marketing to a minuscule demographic and creating some psychological urge for females to pick up skating as a hobby. Has it ever occured to you that some segments of the population just aren't interested in certain things? It's not the industry's problem to figure out why.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:21:54 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Is horse boarding real?

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
Is horse boarding real?
Horseboarding will be 2015s high waters.
I heard dylans already filming a full black and white horse boarding part.... most of it is just him sensually combing the horses mane though...
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

shark tits

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
so real! it came from horse surfing.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i agree with the 'cultural set up' point; it does hold great influence. but if this were a perfect world and those pressures and expectations didn't exist, do you honestly think there would be as many female skaters as male? i highly doubt it. the amount of interest in sports or athletics or whatever, is, quite simply, much higher with men. it's almost universal, in fact. whereas only a segment of the female populace seem to be drawn to it. i would wager that this uneven level of interest has more to do with hormones than cultural expectations, despite the role that does indeed play.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2530
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:02 PM »
Way too many "I'm not a sexist, but..." type posts in this thread.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shit_for_brains

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »

Custom skater

• Rep: -80
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Is horse boarding real?
[close]
Horseboarding will be 2015s high waters.
I heard dylans already filming a full black and white horse boarding part.... most of it is just him sensually combing the horses mane though...

Oh man, thats gonna be video part of the year. Don't forget about the naked chicks on the side while he his horseboarding

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Is horse boarding real?
Psssshhhh how is that even a question?

4wheels

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
Some girls can skate but I personally believe that skateboarding is not for girls at all. Not one bit.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »

That's completely understandable. My main point that I failed to get across was that I wouldn't want a female skater in a magazine doing something that would never have gotten in if it was a male skater with the excuse of "oh well she's a girl so it's understandable she cant be as good as a guy" because that's just degrading you know? I didn't mean to give the impression of "girls need to be as good as our top pros" but I do believe any female skater has the potential to be just as good if not better than male skaters. I just think we have to be careful to not give women coverage in a condescending manner. Sort of like being subconsciously sexist. But girls do need more female role models n skating. And of course skating will never be purely about difficulty level or else it'd be a sport. And fuck that.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
i dont care about the article but i remember in villa villa cola this chick alex had a section with the biggest ass and biggest titties!! YAHOOOO!!!

I took a five hour train ride once and loaded my phone with skate videos to watch without really checking some of them out.  None of them were the right format to play except Villa Villa Cola, which I didn't know was a all girl skate video.  I was so bummed, and watched it twice out of sheer boredom.  I do remember that chick she had like a thick short girls body which there is nothin wrong with.

Nora is rad because she  has a sick trick selection, and has a great style.  I'd rather watch her skate that Sean Pablo or of a bunch of other dudes.  And yeah shes hot too and wears lil tight shorts.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 11:33:31 PM »
Fuck you guys are depressing. This whole fucking thread is jock-mentality, white privilege in a nutshell.

Why are so many of you attacking the author for an op-Ed piece that's a perfectly valid viewpoint? Silicon Valley is full of dudes giving each other reach-arounds and raises, but you're screwed (figuratively) if you're a lady. So by trying to praise Rodney�who comes from a very similar culture�as a new savior, is frightening if you don't happen to be part of that group.

I don't get the ad hominem attacks. The author may be bummed she got broken off and lost her sponsors, but that doesn't explain why all the other female skaters quit. Unless dickheads like you scared them away... Which would validate her point that skaters aren't good spokespeople. Maybe you're afraid female skaters are going to get better than you and steal your last chance at ever being sponsored?

/shit stirring>

Fyi, this article is in response to this one, http://www.wired.com/2015/01/rodney-mullen/ posted a little over three weeks ago.

I suppose there's some shred of subculture left in skateboarding that its adherents are still willing to defend.

It is a valid viewpoint, but she's asking the wrong questions. During the '70s heyday of skateboarding, most of its 20 million participants (including freestylers) frequented skateparks. In 1983, when the author quit, there were fewer than five parks in the entire United States. Skateboarding retreated into backyard ramps, pools, and the streets. All involving varying degrees of illegality that would persist for the next two decades. Are women not as willing to commit minor infractions in order to skate? The author should ask herself since she quit.

And does Hubba represent skateboarding? I've not even seen the product for the last few years. What kid would get off on Hubba when the internet is full of good porn? Enjoi (enoji?), on the other hand is much more complex as it's entirely satirical. Is it hipster sexism or does it recall old World Industries era/late Soviet stoib? Now that Nike owns skateboarding, the author should ask Tinker Hatfield if he incorporated testosterone vapor into those airbags. That may explain Koston's recent behavior.

Tay

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 03:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had guys (mostly teenage boys a decade younger than me) openly discuss my body or whether or not they'd "bang" me. Right within ear shot. It's incredibly awkward.

But the biggest issue facing female skateboarding is other females. I've gotten a plethora of negative reactions and mocked by random women on the street way more than any of my male skate pals. Lesbians on the other hand love me, I'd be swimming in snatch if only I was down with the beaver.  :-*

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

i'm never surprised but it always bums me out

abudabi

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
...no. this article was written very poorly and not much critical thinking went into it. a lot of people have made good points here.

edit: pretty hilarious that 3 people now have claimed that this thread is mainly full of misogynistic comments. i just read through every post carefully, and this is definitely not the case.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:23:18 AM by abudabi »

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
A well-written piece and a surprisingly insightful view of modern skate culture coming from an outsider. I wonder what her snatch looks like
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:16:51 PM by fulltechnicalskizzy »