Author Topic: MLB Thread  (Read 33989 times)

dillanharp

Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck I agree with tracer. What was one of the first fundamentals you learned in little league? Run through the bag. NOBODY does. No hustle, and I'm looking at you Buster Posey.
[close]
MLB players are so pathetic these days, they don't run, pitchers bunt strike 3, fielders won't dive in the stands(for easy outs may I add) There's almost no intensity left aside from rookies tryna earn their stripes

Trumbo in the outfield tonight, cost Arizona the game, the home opener. The ball was rolling right at him, yet he sticks his glove out to be a hero instead of stopping it. It's not even little league stuff, it's 3rd grade gym class fundamentals the pros flub every game I watch.

[close]

I realized this last year when people were acting like the Royals way of playing was so unique with how many bases they stole and how freakishly good their outfield is.  It's also that they just fucking run for it.  So many teams don't really run for it when it comes to fielding and base running.
Yea but if I have to see Jarrod Dyson do that little hand pump thing again I'm going to shoot my tv.

Everybody should just play like Hunter Pence.

dillanharp

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
Yeah he recanted that thing about his team mates, "it would take all day to name everyone."

Basically he was pissed because they kept on him about his weight, that he felt disrespected by the front office. I'm kinda glad he's gone.

dillanharp

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »
Last season it took him 3 months to get going. He was pitiful. Boston is going to eat him alive.

spool of cord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
Royals riding high

and so are the Tigers, damn
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

dillanharp

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
I haven't had a chance to watch any games yet, but have you guys noticed any change to the pace because of the new rules?

dillanharp

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
I'm wondering what pitchers think about flat seam balls. That's interesting.

I thought the Padres were supposed to be the team to beat in the West?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 07:27:15 AM »
Braves 4-0
Rockies 4-0
Detrout 4-0
KC 4-0

Really bad hitting start to the year, combined .225 average  ???

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck I agree with tracer. What was one of the first fundamentals you learned in little league? Run through the bag. NOBODY does. No hustle, and I'm looking at you Buster Posey.
[close]
MLB players are so pathetic these days, they don't run, pitchers bunt strike 3, fielders won't dive in the stands(for easy outs may I add) There's almost no intensity left aside from rookies tryna earn their stripes

Trumbo in the outfield tonight, cost Arizona the game, the home opener. The ball was rolling right at him, yet he sticks his glove out to be a hero instead of stopping it. It's not even little league stuff, it's 3rd grade gym class fundamentals the pros flub every game I watch.

[close]

I realized this last year when people were acting like the Royals way of playing was so unique with how many bases they stole and how freakishly good their outfield is.  It's also that they just fucking run for it.  So many teams don't really run for it when it comes to fielding and base running.

I'm a little late to this discussion but here's my quick two pence.... I feel like baseball players got completely thrown off by the steroid era. Before that you had guys like Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman hitting .320 and stealing 100+ bases a year, consistently. Once every team had players hitting 50 to 60 home runs a year, the strategy became 'don't risk getting caught stealing bases, Luis Gonzales will hit it out'.

Pitching adapted to that era but offense did not... Now it seems like the focus is on training/muscles etc and fundamentals are long gone. Nobody hustles or works for their runs. It's all physique trying to be the next Bonds or Sosa without the juice.

One thing my dad likes to point out is how nobody can fucking throw anymore? It used to be necessary if you were an outfielder to throw a no hop seed from the warning track to home plate.

I once caught the 1984 all star game on espn classic and just thought it was hilarious how out of shape and un-athletic those guys looked, like Eddie Murray and Dave Parker looking like they just walked out of a bar, yet they could all hit, field and throw far superior to today's players.

I thought the Padres were supposed to be the team to beat in the West?

I happened to catch the LA vs Padres broadcast and they were already claiming them the top 2 teams in the West. Horseshit.

Still Giants blew a wonderful Lincecum start last night. I'm liking aioki at lead off

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
Mets hand the Braves their first loss of the season! and Met 41 year old pitcher bartolo colon helped by knocking in a go ahead run, the 6th rbi of his career

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:03 PM »
holding very little faith in my yankees this year, mets will definitely be the better/more exciting team to watch (a-rod drama aside)

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »
holding very little faith in my yankees this year, mets will definitely be the better/more exciting team to watch (a-rod drama aside)

yes indeed, and it's almost nice to hear that from a yankees fan, I've been waiting forever for the mets to get out from under your shadow..its been a lifetime since the subway series.

hoping they sweep the phillies tonight- last night's game was pretty whacky!

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
Hey baseball, howza bout those New York Metropolitans?!?!

Sweep of the Phillies, followed by a four game sweep on Miami (first time we've ever pulled that off), 10th win in a row tonight- going for the sweep of Atlanta tomorrow night! 11 wins in row would tie the franchise record....set in 1980. Never been to a game in April or May but would really love to get down there for one....the stadium's been rocking like never before. Ya gotta believe! And it sure has been a long time coming!

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 10:40:32 PM »
Mets when they play well it's early season, see how it goes in the 2H when 2 out hitting falls off a cliff. Bart Colon is the ace, trusting a 90 year old just can't work. There's a lot of stories in baseball this year, but the Mets??? Enjoy it while it lasts

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »
Bartolo's not their ace, Mets just wanted to make it so DeGrom and Harvey opened it at home. And, it was a nice sentiment that the big old guy got to start on opening day. You've got to respect him just based on the longevity of his career, I mean, he pitched for the Montreal Expos for christ's sake!

But yeah, you're right, its the Mets we're talking about here, and I'm enjoying the hell out them for once! Before this series with the Tigers, across town in the BX people were going off the deep end that their team was .500 ten games into the season. I'll take living through years of low expectation seasons over the prima donna Yankees franchise & their douchiest-in-all-of-sports fan base, any day of the week

dillanharp

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:26 PM »
My Giants are pretty god damn awful right now, but suck it LA.

Tracer

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 11:09:47 PM »
Bartolo's not their ace, Mets just wanted to make it so DeGrom and Harvey opened it at home. And, it was a nice sentiment that the big old guy got to start on opening day. You've got to respect him just based on the longevity of his career, I mean, he pitched for the Montreal Expos for christ's sake!

But yeah, you're right, its the Mets we're talking about here, and I'm enjoying the hell out them for once! Before this series with the Tigers, across town in the BX people were going off the deep end that their team was .500 ten games into the season. I'll take living through years of low expectation seasons over the prima donna Yankees franchise & their douchiest-in-all-of-sports fan base, any day of the week
Colon throws darts that guy is unreal, his 2 seamer is sick. You don't start rookies over veterans, case closed. It would be cool for the Mets to place higher than the Yankees, but I don't see it happening.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 11:20:22 PM »
Oh I'm almost positive it will. And for the first time since before the Jeter/Petit/Posada/Rivera/Williams days, to boot

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
After looking like the worst team in baseball for the first 2 weeks, the Giants go and sweep the overrated Dodgers. 

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
We swept the Braves today....seriously on a historic tear....next up....the bronx bombers....in the house across the lot from the house that ruth built...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/23/the-royals-and-white-sox-had-a-benches-clearing-fracas-five-players-ejected/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

God damn Royals at it again.. get in the post season once in 234234 years and all of a sudden they're the bullies of AL.

Seriously all due respect, what the fuck is up with that Ventura character?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »
Expand Quote
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/23/the-royals-and-white-sox-had-a-benches-clearing-fracas-five-players-ejected/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

God damn Royals at it again.. get in the post season once in 234234 years and all of a sudden they're the bullies of AL.

Seriously all due respect, what the fuck is up with that Ventura character?
[close]

The cleared benches is getting to be so much of a norm it's ridiculous.  Ventura clearly needs to calm the fuck down (he did apologize and he did admit he needs to calm the fuck down after last night.  Eaton also apologized and said he respected KC) however, I definitely wouldn't call them bullies.  They're getting beaned right and left. 

My take on the Oakland series- Lawrie's slide was dirty.  Ventura beaned him in retaliation and it should have ended there.  Kazmir accidentally hits Cain (IMO).  Herrera takes it to a whole new level by throwing near his head and pointing at his head and justifiably is suspended 5 games.

My take on the Chicago game.  Look at the alternate angle. Eaton was talking shit.  Ventura responded with talking shit.  Benches clear but it more or less ends at that point.  Then stupid fucking Samardzija chases down Cain and then it really turns into something.  Samardzija is a piece of shit.  He wasn't even in the game and he's hitting Cain.... who he hit on Opening Day.  I sure as fuck hope he's suspended.

It's getting stupid, but it's not 100% KC's fault.  They really should just let their skills do the talking seeing how they're 12-4.

I agree with pretty much everything you said..  Lawrie definitely deserved to get beaned.  His slide was legal but he hurt the other guy, he was gonna get hit, he knew it and he took it.  It should've ended there and it didn't.  This is one of the downsides of AL ball, they have the DH so Ventura is never gonna get in the batters box and face retaliation.  That's why KC hitters are getting plunked, they have to pay for the shit.  People start getting hit left and right.  Royals hitters are gonna get tired it, which I'm sure they are already.

That's 4 bench clearers (at least) this year and Ventura started 3 of them!  He's lucky Mike Trout didn't pick him up and throw him in the stands a week back.

Is there some sort of history with Smardzija and Cain?  It seemed like an old score was being settled. 

Still, I love a good brawl!

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »
Did anyone else hear Chris Rock talking about how baseball is too white and the unspoken rules are dumb?  It is fucked up that in literally any other sport, it's ok to talk a little trash, go hard after a score etc and yet it's frowned upon in baseball.  There was an article after KC swept the Angels about how a couple KC players did one of their little handshake deals outside of the dugout after a run and that some people felt it was unsportsmanlike.  That shit is a fucking joke.

I've avoided listening to the Chris Rock discussion for a few reasons, but the unspoken rules are quite hilarious.  It's a tradition thing I guess. 

I once read an interview with Curt Schilling and he was explaining it; basically he was saying one of the reasons is that in baseball trash talk is kept to a minimum because the repercussions are basically a fastball in your earhole.  If you were to hit a home run and do a little dance and point to the stands, your next at bat mr. pitcher basically has you at his mercy.  If he felt like it he could take your teeth out and you're on the DL for 6 months.  It's kinda what keeps everyone in check. 

Personally I like that element; I like that if players start getting flashy or shit-talking there's a cranky bastard like Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan or Pedro Martinez who will put it in your ribs.  I don't like the flashy music-video-ness that other sports can have.  Shit like this pisses me off (and apparently the 40 people in attendance):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAxJunWPDdg

Ironically, even if you don't do any of the celebrating the pitcher will probably drill you anyway. 

here's a good article on the subject:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10964445/mlb-baseball-confusing-contradictory-unwritten-rules

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:55 AM »
I agree with you guys wholeheartedly ...and I think opening up the game a bit would do wonders for baseball. And it's almost like players (and this goes for all pro sports, unless you're a huge superstar) get the personality beaten out of them by the time they get to the majors. That's really changed drastically in the past 30 or so years- I just feel like baseball should be appealing to the mainstream, and not by doing anything gimmicky, but at this point there's almost more character in professional golf.

end ramble.... I find it funny that a beanball or two, and then retribution the next inning by the opposing pitcher will get both benches warnings from the umpire....don't know if it's always been like that, so quick to hand out warnings, but god damn these are grown men we're talking about here!

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
I hear what you're saying and yeah, I don't want it to be like football where you have cartoon characters doing dances in the end zone, but I do think that it shouldn't be frowned upon as much as it is.   I mean, it IS a game and it IS ok to get excited, y'know?  I think sometimes that gets a little lost.  I like that the very young and talented Royals get excited for each other.  It raises the energy, encourages good performance and it's fun.  Sometimes it seems like unless it's a walk off homerun you're expected to take a "brisk jog" around the bases with a straight face.  Fuck that, you just hit a homerun!  Get psyched!  I also think some of the tradition needs to evolve with who is playing the game professionally.  You take some of these Latin teams where they get so fucking passionate and you're seeing bat flips and dudes ecstatic etc. and then you send them to the MLB and tell them that their brand of baseball needs to be toned down?  That doesn't sit 100% with me.

All that being said, I also like that you can have a pitcher keep you in check.  It provides a really interest element to the game.  I still go back on watch Nolan Ryan highlights etc.  I still think being psyched for your homie and high fiving outside of the dugout is perfectly fine and maybe there are a few too many wet blankets who cry when their teams aren't doing well.

Thanks for attaching that ESPN article!  Reminded me I keep meaning to buy this bbok:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baseball-Codes-Beanballs-Bench-Clearing/dp/030727862X

Yeah I totally agree with you there, there should definitely be more excitement.  I mean really when was the last time baseball had a mega-star, like a Lebron James type of guy.  Barry Bonds?  Bo Jackson?  It's really only within the last few years that we've started seeing celebrations during non-post season games, jumping around after a walk off win, etc...  And much of that poo-pooing of the Royals has to do with sore losing.  Teams with 250million dollar payrolls and hall of fame players getting mad when a team of young no-names with fire whoops up on them (Angels I'm talking to you!), they just get bitter.  "Yeah they kicked our ass, but we RESPECT the game!".

I've been dying to read that book too.. Maybe they can explain the whole 'no bunting when a no-hitter is on' unwritten rule to me, cause that one is by far the worst.

end ramble.... I find it funny that a beanball or two, and then retribution the next inning by the opposing pitcher will get both benches warnings from the umpire....don't know if it's always been like that, so quick to hand out warnings, but god damn these are grown men we're talking about here!

It talks a little about this in that article I posted above, but the whole 'umpire warnings' and MLB policing thing is fairly new.  Beanballs and flat out fist fights used to be waaaay more common then they are now. I miss them so! Umpires are quick to throw the warnings out, which sucks for pitchers because a) the strikezone gets smaller every year, and if you even come near the inside of the plate it's perceived as a brushback, and b) sometimes pitchers hit batters unintentionally, it DOES HAPPEN!.

Seriously this discussion has led me down the youtube rabbit hole of MLB brawls and fuck it's entertaining as hell. I'M SO GLAD BASEBALL IS BACK!

Great point as well.   I think it's also important to point out that a lot of this shit would've been shrugged off 10-15 years ago.  It makes me wonder a lot about the media and social media (especially Twitter) coverage really feeds the fire.

That is definitely true, and not just in baseball, just in every facet of life.  Now with social media the fuel for these fires just spreads everywhere. 

straight

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
I guess il have to start watching baseball today. Rip 2014-2015 hockey and nba. Hurry up nfl and save us from boredom

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
June 17th and the Mets are still in 1st in the NL East.... did not see that one coming  ;D

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
I dunno' after 3 (almost 4?) 100 loss seasons, the Astros are 12 games over .500..... It's still early, but still pretty shocking.

Carlos Correa is playing like he's possessed.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
Giants are doing well.. currently going through a mini-slump but hopefully will right the ship before it becomes a big slump (whenever Pence is out of the lineup we go south).

Problem is the Dodgers never fucking lose.  Like ever.  Still early

Biggest surprises so far is the AL East: everybody figured the Red Sox #1 and everybody else far behind, now it's the opposite (take that Pablo!!), how bad the Padres have been (not really a surprise to me but everyone basically gave them the NL trophy at the beginning of the year), and how good the Astros and Mets have been.

P.S. Hate!, I got that book you posted above, it's fantastic.  It's a quick read and tons of great stories, and further cements how awesome Nolan Ryan is. 

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Dodgers are doing extremely well.

Yeah, that book is awesome.  Nolan Ryan is like the fucking Clint Eastwood of baseball in there.  I was surprised to see my uncle mentioned by name in there.  That was a first for me.

was your uncle an ex-player?

Tracer

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
1 team is over .600 this season. lets fast forward to the WS please