Author Topic: Gripping your own board.  (Read 12320 times)

spool of cord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
Re: Gripping your own board.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »
Always sand from the top son, never from the bottom son. Always cut from the bottom son never from the top

I was in a Zumiez 8 or 9 years ago with a friend who was getting his brother a board....they wouldn't let him grip his own board...liability....we got a kick out of that at the time.

I prefer a sharp blade, but you gotta work with what you got. I remember seeing Alex carolino grip a deck with some sort of debit card one time.

Anyone else have more stories like this? When I was way younger a friend of mine got a board in the mail and was so excited he rushed into town before setting it up - and no one had a knife or a blade for him. He gripped the board and attempted to cut it with a rock....I wish someone snapped a photo, it was the most hilarious thing ever. He pretty much ruined a brand new board by doing that..and skated the jagged p.o.s. all day the way it was.

....to answer the question- put me in the group of 'i don't give a fuck' posters...as long as there's no air bubbles, anyone can grip it. I wonder if a kid has ever been told by a shop employee 'you've got to grip your own board'...some funny cool-guy shop shit.

Does anyone else ride Paradox grip exclusively?  :D :D :D
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 10:23:03 PM »
My last board i just got i made my friend grip it while i took the trucks off my old one, TEAMWORK!
The worker should start gripping right away, it's what they're paid for. It's gettn on either way, I don't understand needing to grip your own board.

"It's fun"

Yea its 30 seconds of pressing your hands on a piece of wood, and trimming the excess. it's not fucking fun and I'd rather have someone else do it. Have none of you been to Six Flags?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1503
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
i always have the guy at the shop grip my board because he's really good at it
I let the dude at the shop skate my board.  He's really good at it.

Custom skater

• Rep: -80
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
I usually grip my own boards, but if someone can grip it better than I do, then i will happily let them do it.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -151
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:37 AM »
how you gonna let another man grip your board?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
Ive been skating for 14 years, and im still terrible at gripping a board, air bubles everywhere, but i kind of like how it looks all shitty, instead of a clean, crisp grip job, idk. Anyway, i still prefer to do it, ive never let someone else grip my board, that i can remember.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 12:44:09 AM »
I'll always do it, usually i'll get bored at home and grip one for fun before i need it

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 02:00:47 AM »
Always sand from the top son, never from the bottom son. Always cut from the bottom son never from the top

I was in a Zumiez 8 or 9 years ago with a friend who was getting his brother a board....they wouldn't let him grip his own board...liability....we got a kick out of that at the time.

Expand Quote

I prefer a sharp blade, but you gotta work with what you got. I remember seeing Alex carolino grip a deck with some sort of debit card one time.
[close]

Anyone else have more stories like this? When I was way younger a friend of mine got a board in the mail and was so excited he rushed into town before setting it up - and no one had a knife or a blade for him. He gripped the board and attempted to cut it with a rock....I wish someone snapped a photo, it was the most hilarious thing ever. He pretty much ruined a brand new board by doing that..and skated the jagged p.o.s. all day the way it was.

....to answer the question- put me in the group of 'i don't give a fuck' posters...as long as there's no air bubbles, anyone can grip it. I wonder if a kid has ever been told by a shop employee 'you've got to grip your own board'...some funny cool-guy shop shit.

Does anyone else ride Paradox grip exclusively?  :D :D :D
I've heard stories about Supreme doing this, no idea if its true.

Weededed

• Rep: 231
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 05:09:07 AM »

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:42 AM »
You let the dude at the shop grip your board? Do you let him tie your shoelaces and suck your cock too?

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
I ride my boards and trucks how the shops think I should. I only have time to think about tricks.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 07:38:18 AM »
its just one of them perks of buying a new board

jayrolla420

• Rep: -4
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »
I only do it myself because I grind off the grip the sand down all the edges.

Anyone else do this or any other different techniques?

abudabi

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Zero pre grips all the boards for their riders
[close]
I remember reading an interview waaaay back that Dan Murphy did (when he was still with mystery) where he mentioned that Black Box would do that upon riders request. I always thought that was pretty neat.
kinda cool, but also pretty douchy to make some guy at the warehouse grip your board when you get paid to skate.
youre a professional skater, how do you not have time to grip a board?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »
I had the guy grip my board a couple years ago because I was in a rush and just wanted it done, and sometimes when I see him I want to apologize.

you if anything he should be apologizing to you. gripping your board is one of the greatest parts of setting up.

Randozzi

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »
I only do it myself because I grind off the grip the sand down all the edges.

Anyone else do this or any other different techniques?
Sand down the edges then take a scrap piece and mellow out the harshness of the new grip from nose to tail.

faarooq

• Rep: 7
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
I take a screwdriver and an old wheel for rolling out bubbles. Start from the center and work your way to the nose and tail.

straight

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »
You let the dude at the shop grip your board? Do you let him tie your shoelaces and suck your cock too?

So I guess you answered yes to http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=38270.0

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
the weirdest thing about working in a shop was when dudes would come in and ask "yo can I get a re-grip?"

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
^ Holy shit, yes, that was weird as fuck.  Bust out the blow-dryer and spend 75% of the time taking old grip off because a kid wanted "cooler" grip.  Don't get me started on gripping scooters...

My funny memory is that I remember watching the first Tony Hawk's Trick Tips video and really liking Tony's description of how to grip a board.  Still do it like that to this day hahahah!
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
I had the guy grip my board a couple years ago because I was in a rush and just wanted it done, and sometimes when I see him I want to apologize.

If you were in a rush you could of just took the roll and the board then do it later ya doofus

I always grip my boards even after working at a shop a decade ago, it's a trust thing and a lot of dudes don't give a fuck, I'm not on that air bubble tip. Takes hardly anytime if you've done it a bunch and you're not a lazy turd. Also investing a hard ink brayer helps eliminate small fuck ups.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:35:15 AM by Wall of Nausea »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

I suck my own cock, thank you very much!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
I hate gripping my board but I'll always do it because if I fuck it up I'll only have myself to blame.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

TINCL

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
How else are you going to get your pink and orange grip tape squares arranged just right for your welcome logo?  Having the shop guy grip your board is so mainstream

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
this thread makes me feel like half of slap just came out as rollerbladers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:51:30 PM by Iceman »

dillanharp

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
You ever try to pee over your shoulder in the shower?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
I actually think the opposite is true....I've never heard that you should grip your board...I didn't learn for years because I bought decks from shops.

It's only when I started getting decks from sponsored guys....distros....the Internet when I started doing it myself. 

While sure you have some lazy shits coming into your store....part of me thinks there are kids who buy online, learn to grip on line, connect with other skaters online, and skate with their headphones on.....so why do they even need a skate shop? 

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
I actually think the opposite is true....I've never heard that you should grip your board...I didn't learn for years because I bought decks from shops.

It's only when I started getting decks from sponsored guys....distros....the Internet when I started doing it myself. 

While sure you have some lazy shits coming into your store....part of me thinks there are kids who buy online, learn to grip on line, connect with other skaters online, and skate with their headphones on.....so why do they even need a skate shop? 

Fundamentally, I don't think you do anymore. It is cool if you have some good local store but do you really want to waste hours in a shop? Everyone I skate with,  I met skating, not shopping.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

straight

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
You ever try to pee over your shoulder in the shower?

I always do this. I like to take my time too. It's actually fun. Sometimes I don't even need to shower but Just feel like doing it. I would never let anyone else get near my shoulder though.