Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 232917 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1920 on: April 04, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
My locals don't get much DLX- usually 1 graphic from each brand and they're gone quickly with long wait times hence I often have to mail order.

Has anyone actually had the balls to ask a shop for a specific number like "send me a III of IV if you have em"? I seem to always get I if I mail order and the difference between I and IV is quite noticeable.
[close]

I do every time I mail order, if they have a order comment section. This is what I send (I usually order Anti-Hero):

Anti-Hero/DLX decks have a Roman numeral (“I” through “IX”) stamped on the top ply, near the front truck holes. *IF* possible please send,

1st Choice:  IX
2nd Choice:  III
3rd Choice:  II
Last Choice:  I

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Roman numerals IV to VIII getting no love from you  ;)

I never even thought to ask this so good to hear shops will accommodate

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1921 on: April 04, 2023, 08:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My locals don't get much DLX- usually 1 graphic from each brand and they're gone quickly with long wait times hence I often have to mail order.

Has anyone actually had the balls to ask a shop for a specific number like "send me a III of IV if you have em"? I seem to always get I if I mail order and the difference between I and IV is quite noticeable.
[close]

I do every time I mail order, if they have a order comment section. This is what I send (I usually order Anti-Hero):

Anti-Hero/DLX decks have a Roman numeral (“I” through “IX”) stamped on the top ply, near the front truck holes. *IF* possible please send,

1st Choice:  IX
2nd Choice:  III
3rd Choice:  II
Last Choice:  I

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

[close]

Roman numerals IV to VIII getting no love from you  ;)

I never even thought to ask this so good to hear shops will accommodate

IV. Typos are real. Went back and fixed it. Surprised no one else called me out on it! :)

But yeah, I’ve even had shops contact me just to clarify (amazing how many people do NOT know about the Roman numerals), so some (shops) def do try to accommodate.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 06:44:08 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1922 on: April 06, 2023, 09:25:19 PM »

Adding this here as well:

I can't speak about the 8.38 TruFit but I have several "normal" 8.25 DLX boards here and three TruFit 8.25s and the width is exactly the same. Nose and Tail are identical also, it's just as if the length was taken away in the middle of the board. The only difference, apart from length, I noticed is that the kicks on the Tru Fit seem steeper but don't feel that way when you skate them. I assume this somehow equals out the shorter lever of the shorter wheelbase because the power I had to use to pop doesn't feel much different to a flatter normal 8.25 to which I am very used. I have a IV and two IIIs for the TruFit and the Tail is as steep as the Tail on a "normal" I.
I flattened out the Tail on one of the TruFits to verify my theory and to find out how it feels but I haven't been able to ride it yet.
I'll report back, but I think that belongs in the DLX Shapes Thread then..

Yeah that is good info.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #1923 on: April 17, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »
Has anyone gone from the 8.12x31.3x14 shape(or any other 14”WB) to one of these 13.88” true fits? I’m wondering if they feel significantly tighter, I’d assume so bc I definitely notice a difference going up to a 14.12” from 14”

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1924 on: April 17, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
Has anyone gone from the 8.12x31.3x14 shape(or any other 14”WB) to one of these 13.88” true fits? I’m wondering if they feel significantly tighter, I’d assume so bc I definitely notice a difference going up to a 14.12” from 14”

I regularly skate 14”wb decks and the 13.88 true fit felt too tight for me

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1925 on: April 17, 2023, 08:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

which trucks u using it with?

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1926 on: April 19, 2023, 11:30:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

which trucks u using it with?

Venture 5.6 v-cast hollow

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #1927 on: April 21, 2023, 06:00:23 PM »
Anyone skate the Krooked Barbee board? What trucks did you run?

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #1928 on: April 21, 2023, 07:32:31 PM »

His shaped “Street” model?

If so , I’m running Ace AF1 55. Several different things wheels have been on but they’ve all been wide-ish.
AW YEAH

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1929 on: April 21, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If so , I’m running Ace AF1 55. Several different things wheels have been on but they’ve all been wide-ish.

Yep, that's the one. Looks like a super fun board. Thanks!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1930 on: April 21, 2023, 07:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some others have said 149s / 159s and even 169s worked well for them, but as you did, 8.5" trucks work nicely for how the shape is, given it is more the 80s fish shape, super wide up front but always going to show a lot of wheel if you match your front bolts to truck, more so than the back, as per the measurements from these guys.

Don't be afraid of wheels sticking out at the back, cause that is what the shapes were like back in the 80s, given both the middle and the tail were wider, you get used to the overall width, not how narrow the board gets over the back bolts.

From Conflict Skates site:

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/krooked-ray-barbee---trifecta-skateboard-deck-95-x-3175--blue-old-skool-ltd-mark-gonzalez-36585-p.asp

9.5" x 31.75"
6.75" nose
6.75" tail
14.25" WB (measured from inner to inner holes)
New hole pattern truck spacing
Width over front truck : 9.0"
Width over rear truck : 8.125"

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1931 on: April 21, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Some others have said 149s / 159s and even 169s worked well for them, but as you did, 8.5" trucks work nicely for how the shape is, given it is more the 80s fish shape, super wide up front but always going to show a lot of wheel if you match your front bolts to truck, more so than the back, as per the measurements from these guys.

Don't be afraid of wheels sticking out at the back, cause that is what the shapes were like back in the 80s, given both the middle and the tail were wider, you get used to the overall width, not how narrow the board gets over the back bolts.

From Conflict Skates site:

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/krooked-ray-barbee---trifecta-skateboard-deck-95-x-3175--blue-old-skool-ltd-mark-gonzalez-36585-p.asp

9.5" x 31.75"
6.75" nose
6.75" tail
14.25" WB (measured from inner to inner holes)
New hole pattern truck spacing
Width over front truck : 9.0"
Width over rear truck : 8.125"

You're always on point with the info. Thank you!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1932 on: April 24, 2023, 05:18:44 PM »
Holy hell, you guys. I rode the 8.28/14.1 for awhile today (normally ride the 8.25/14.38). I was SHOCKED at how small that thing is. The shorter kicks, length, and wheelbase…felt like I was riding a freestyle board. I am bewildered that any normal sized adult could ride a sub 14” wheelbase (e.g. true fit) for anything other pure freestyle. That shit is  just WILD. Hats-off to those of you can ride those decks, they would be the death of me. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 06:14:25 PM by Sedition »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1933 on: April 24, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »
Holy hell, you guys. I rode an 8.28 for awhile today (normally ride the 8.25/14.38). I was SHOCKED at how small that thing is. The shorter kicks, length, and wheelbase…felt like I was riding a freestyle board. I am bewildered that any normal sized adult could ride a sub 14” wheelbase (e.g. true fit) for anything other pure freestyle. That shit is  just WILD. Hats-off to those of you can ride those decks, they would be the death of me.

Same.

Sure is a weird ride for me, but I know some really short people too, so they definitely benefit from those sort of boards.

Also to note, some people like Koston prefer shorter wheelbases to anything else, so I couldn't imagine a sub 14" wb but that is the norm for them. 

* Koston is not short either.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 06:07:33 PM by Mbrimson88 »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #1934 on: April 24, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Holy hell, you guys. I rode an 8.28 for awhile today (normally ride the 8.25/14.38). I was SHOCKED at how small that thing is. The shorter kicks, length, and wheelbase…felt like I was riding a freestyle board. I am bewildered that any normal sized adult could ride a sub 14” wheelbase (e.g. true fit) for anything other pure freestyle. That shit is  just WILD. Hats-off to those of you can ride those decks, they would be the death of me.
[close]

Same.

Sure is a weird ride for me, but I know some really short people too, so they definitely benefit from those sort of boards.

Also to note, some people like Koston prefer shorter wheelbases to anything else, so I couldn't imagine a sub 14" wb but that is the norm for them. 

How tall are you guys? I'm 5'7 and like a bit shorter of a board, but those True Fits sound crazy short.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1935 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Same.

[close]

How tall are you guys? I'm 5'7 and like a bit shorter of a board, but those True Fits sound crazy short.

5’11”. Size 10 Vans.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1936 on: April 24, 2023, 06:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same.

Koston also came up when that was normal and rides Venture. He rode normal decks when he was "sponsored by Independent"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1937 on: April 24, 2023, 06:33:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Same.

[close]

Koston also came up when that was normal and rides Venture. He rode normal decks when he was "sponsored by Independent"

Yeah it is definitely more what you know and what you are used to.

I don't really follow Koston in detail, but when on Crail boards, they had shorter wheelbases, so he could get away without modifying Indy trucks even though he wanted them lower than they were, but I think more than anything now, most of the boards he rides, Skate Mental or whatever are longer wheelbases, so his repositioned holes on lower Venture trucks work better on those setups anyway.

When trying out that option just to see what it was like, I could definitely feel how short the board was in the wheelbase, but it also made Venture trucks work a lot more easily for me too.

Combinations of board and trucks will definitely help or hinder what you are used to in your skateboard madness / comfort on a board, more so if you have been riding a certain shape, size or feel of setup for a while.

Some of the pro people (male or female) as well as the general public are very short and could do with something that is significantly shorter and easier to spin, flip or whatever, especially as people are going more for wider boards now than they have in the past, which usually meant increases in width would also come with increases in wheelbase and overall length.

6'2" / 188cms tall with size 11/12 shoe.

Riding 8.38 to 8.5 with 14.5 wb and 32+ length more often than not nowdays (with size 12 shoes), but was on black eagles 8.12 with 14.25 wb or other 8.18 with 14.38 wb for a long time while squeezing into size 11 shoes.

When I have a go of the 8 or 8.25 shorter boards, often 14 or so wb, they feel so light and easy to flip, so it is not a big deal, but I definitely prefer a bit more board overall nowdays.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #1938 on: May 02, 2023, 09:17:15 AM »
Just stepped on my girlfriends new 8.25 true fit. It's a II and the concave is insane. I usually like steep decks, recently rode an Ishod 8.25 that's also a II. But this one is on a completely different level, it hurts my feet just standing on it (with socks). Are all of the true fits like that?
Other than that, the shape is amazing, perfectly scaled down.

caked

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1939 on: May 03, 2023, 08:24:23 AM »
Just stepped on my girlfriends new 8.25 true fit. It's a II and the concave is insane. I usually like steep decks, recently rode an Ishod 8.25 that's also a II. But this one is on a completely different level, it hurts my feet just standing on it (with socks). Are all of the true fits like that?

When I skated my new true fit board during the first session, multiple people mentioned how insane the concave is. It must be a DLX thing? But definitely noticeable like you said.

As an aside, I switched from 14.38" wb to 13.88" (both DLX boards). It's great for my pop and for flipping tricks more easily, but my pushing leg has been bothering me when I skate. I wonder if it's related to the change in deck length but I have no idea. Seems to be less noticeable the more sessions I have, so I hope it's not really a true injury.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1940 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I skated my new true fit board during the first session, multiple people mentioned how insane the concave is. It must be a DLX thing? But definitely noticeable like you said.

As an aside, I switched from 14.38" wb to 13.88" (both DLX boards). It's great for my pop and for flipping tricks more easily, but my pushing leg has been bothering me when I skate. I wonder if it's related to the change in deck length but I have no idea. Seems to be less noticeable the more sessions I have, so I hope it's not really a true injury.

Not to make anyone crazy, but any time I skate a board that is too steep in the tail, I feel my back foot and ankle getting stressed.  Granted I am pretty old now with a number of ankle injuries from the late 80s to early 90s, but I definitely find a more mellow tail to be a whole lot easier on my body and can keep skating a lot longer than on a board with steeper kicks.

I don't know how the steeper kicks translate to body and leg / ankle and foot position in other people, but to me it is the equivalent of having shoes that make my ankles roll inwards, or in this case, more just my back foot, which is also my pushing foot (and driving foot) so I am more used to making sure I don't put too much stress on it from skating, mainly flattening out any board that feels a bit too steep by parking the car tyre on it for a bit, but I have found it really does help me in that regard.

If you have that app on your phone that gives you the angle of the kicks, it would be interesting to know.  Most of my boards are now about 18 degrees, which were upwards of 20 to 22 when new, but some I have stood on have been up to 24 / 25 and those things were crazy steep, at least to me anyway.

For DLX / BBS boards, or any other boards that have the spoon concave, put the phone or measuring device up on the end of the tail, not down in the bolts area.

caked

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1941 on: May 04, 2023, 01:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not to make anyone crazy, but any time I skate a board that is too steep in the tail, I feel my back foot and ankle getting stressed.  Granted I am pretty old now with a number of ankle injuries from the late 80s to early 90s, but I definitely find a more mellow tail to be a whole lot easier on my body and can keep skating a lot longer than on a board with steeper kicks.

I don't know how the steeper kicks translate to body and leg / ankle and foot position in other people, but to me it is the equivalent of having shoes that make my ankles roll inwards, or in this case, more just my back foot, which is also my pushing foot (and driving foot) so I am more used to making sure I don't put too much stress on it from skating, mainly flattening out any board that feels a bit too steep by parking the car tyre on it for a bit, but I have found it really does help me in that regard.

If you have that app on your phone that gives you the angle of the kicks, it would be interesting to know.  Most of my boards are now about 18 degrees, which were upwards of 20 to 22 when new, but some I have stood on have been up to 24 / 25 and those things were crazy steep, at least to me anyway.

For DLX / BBS boards, or any other boards that have the spoon concave, put the phone or measuring device up on the end of the tail, not down in the bolts area.

this makes sense to me! I measured the angle of the tail and it's the same as my last board - 19 or 20 degrees. I had a session today and my leg isn't hurting, so hopefully it was just a temporary thing.

this board is so easy to pop. I get great height without trying very hard.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1942 on: May 05, 2023, 08:15:27 AM »

Totally back this sentiment. Ben DeGros was also recently talking about the same thing on one of his posts (e.g. flatter boards being less physically troublesome to ride).

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1943 on: May 05, 2023, 08:44:34 AM »

Expand Quote

I can't speak about the 8.38 TruFit but I have several "normal" 8.25 DLX boards here and three TruFit 8.25s and the width is exactly the same. Nose and Tail are identical also, it's just as if the length was taken away in the middle of the board. The only difference, apart from length, I noticed is that the kicks on the Tru Fit seem steeper but don't feel that way when you skate them. I assume this somehow equals out the shorter lever of the shorter wheelbase because the power I had to use to pop doesn't feel much different to a flatter normal 8.25 to which I am very used. I have a IV and two IIIs for the TruFit and the Tail is as steep as the Tail on a "normal" I.
I flattened out the Tail on one of the TruFits to verify my theory and to find out how it feels but I haven't been able to ride it yet.
[close]

Yeah that is good info.

Appreciate this share. I was skating with a buddy recently who use's this to mod all his boards to 14in wheelbase (not just drilling back the front truck).

https://www.chemsfb.com/product/full-metal-wheelbase-mod-tool

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #1944 on: May 05, 2023, 08:47:57 AM »
Ended up ordering an 8.5 True Fit and it should be here in a few days. Excited to report back.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #1945 on: May 05, 2023, 09:47:31 AM »
I'm currently skating this 8.5 Marbie There from their drop last summer and it might be my favorite popsicle shape ever. It feels shorter than a lot of 8.5s I've skated before and has mellow concave and both the nose and the tail aren't steep. Everything, especially flip tricks, feel better on it. Anyone know anything about it? Is it a easily available DLX shape? I don't typically pay attention to these kinds of things so I'm pretty out of the loop lol

https://www.tactics.com/there/marbie-growing-pains-85-skateboard-deck

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1946 on: May 05, 2023, 10:18:58 AM »
I'm currently skating this 8.5 Marbie There from their drop last summer and it might be my favorite popsicle shape ever. It feels shorter than a lot of 8.5s I've skated before and has mellow concave and both the nose and the tail aren't steep. Everything, especially flip tricks, feel better on it. Anyone know anything about it? Is it a easily available DLX shape? I don't typically pay attention to these kinds of things so I'm pretty out of the loop lol

Seems like the standard DLX 8.5" with the 14.375" wheelbase. Maybe a bit less common than the one with the 14.25" wheelbase right now but still fairly common. Here's a selection from Skatedeluxe just because it's easy to filter from there:
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/krooked-gonz-aperture-8-5-skateboard-deck-white_p162887?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-daan-terrestrial-seasonings-8-5-skateboard-deck-multi_p162841?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-renewal-doves-8-5-skateboard-deck-cream_p144365?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-lintell-moto-8-5-skateboard-deck-green_p159435?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-anderson-pigeon-religion-8-5-skateboard-deck-multi_p162885?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-x-natas-ii-team-oval-8-5-skateboard-deck-multi_p154054?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-team-grimple-stix-8-5-skateboard-deck-navy_p152852?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-dove-redux-renewals-8-5-skateboard-deck-red_p152833?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/krooked-flowers-8-5-skateboard-deck-yellow_p144415?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/krooked-team-eye-dye-8-5-skateboard-deck-multi_p156283?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/krooked-hands-on-8-5-skateboard-deck-orange_p158545?eav=234%2C955-956&cPath=42&brand_id=103,175,105,655,656

Some of them list different nose and tail lengths but Skatedeluxe isn't exactly 100% accurate so it might be that these are all the same or it might be that they're not.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1947 on: May 05, 2023, 10:39:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that is good info.

[close]
Appreciate this share. I was skating with a buddy recently who use's this to mod all his boards to 14in wheelbase (not just drilling back the front truck).

https://www.chemsfb.com/product/full-metal-wheelbase-mod-tool

Updated with pic

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1948 on: May 05, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »

I've actually been meaning to post/ask about the DLX 8.5/14.38 deck. I've not seen one in real time (yet). The current Anti-Hero BA/Pigeon Religion deck is listed as one of those. How true is the width (most DLX "8.5" decks seem to be closer to 8.38). How are shapes of kicks, etc?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1949 on: May 05, 2023, 11:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've actually been meaning to post/ask about the DLX 8.5/14.38 deck. I've not seen one in real time (yet). The current Anti-Hero BA/Pigeon Religion deck is listed as one of those. How true is the width (most DLX "8.5" decks seem to be closer to 8.38). How are shapes of kicks, etc?

I've got one here from when they made the Sketchy Skateshop Appreciation decks in 2022. It's about 8.375" above both trucks and a little bit under 8.5" in the middle. So it tapers to both front and back. Nose and tail seem a bit pointy by today's standards.

Here's a top down pic: