Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233449 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1260 on: March 03, 2022, 07:27:06 AM »
What I don’t get is how the Dreamer shape is different than a normal 8.38. My friend loves it but isn’t a nerd and doesn’t know this answer

Dreamer = standard / normal 8.38 board.

It might have been lost in the long post, but this was in the middle of it:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3749264#msg3749264

The "Dreamer shape" is just the standard 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, regardless of what anyone else might say.  I asked from the DLXSF.COM site and that was the reply.  For me that is pretty much perfect for a slightly more nimble version than other BBS 8.5 boards I ride.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1261 on: March 03, 2022, 11:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Man you guys are making me go bananas with these shapes I never heard of

Recently setup a krooked full 8.18 with the 14.38 wb and it was never my jazz those dimensions but that full shape really just makes it a whole different case

I love the full shape, so much I’m definitely dropping the retail $60/$70 for a deck when I find a manderson 8.25 or hopefully a full SE

anyone know other brands that have a full shape like dlx? I think my friend had an enjoi a similar shape but he’s not a nerd and doesn’t care but I tried out his board and it felt close like an 8.5 version of my krooked  full
[close]

I used to love the 8.18 boards, but I haven't seen any for a while now.

That 8.18 Full shape was nice though.

Guessing that more people are just going for the 8 or the 8.25 sizes more so than 8.18 but they still have the 8.12 in a couple of shapes.

There are definitely some "Full" Dwindle boards out now.  One that a friend had was very squared off on both kicks, shorter wheelbase as per Dwindle but still the normal length - 8.5 x 32.1 with 14.25 wb when I looked it up.

Do those Quasi decks count?  WKND too, on those PS Stix short stubby shapes.

Cool I gotta 8.12 wknd on stand by

Probably just gonna have to ask my local if they can get one of those and hold it on the next deluxe order

That manderson 8.25 sounds too good
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1262 on: March 05, 2022, 10:04:54 PM »

https://www.realskateboards.com/

Listed as FULL-SE (short edition), BUT has the regular 14.3 WB...instead of the normal 14.25" anyone got eyes on it? I'd dip for a FULL-SE at 32" with that WB.

Also, that 8.18" FULL wa fucking great. I sized down recently and was looking for deadstock of one, no luck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1263 on: March 06, 2022, 01:08:09 AM »

Probably just gonna have to ask my local if they can get one of those and hold it on the next deluxe order

That manderson 8.25 sounds too good

Just to clarify and make sure cause people are a bit confused, but the "Manderson" shape that is the full looking board (not Real Full or Full SE dimensions) is only out in the one size with dimensions being 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, which is more like or almost 8.5 wide, from what others have said.

The other sizes including the 8.25 is just the normal DLX 8.25 board, which is 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase.

Every rider seems to have rotating board sizes, eg last drop there was a Mike Anderson board on 8.25, the drop before it was a different size, same as Cromer boards come in the normal DLX 8.38 board that I bought, but also 8.25 and 8.5 and 8.0 as well.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1264 on: March 06, 2022, 01:10:21 AM »

https://www.realskateboards.com/

Listed as FULL-SE (short edition), BUT has the regular 14.3 WB...instead of the normal 14.25" anyone got eyes on it? I'd dip for a FULL-SE at 32" with that WB.

Also, that 8.18" FULL wa fucking great. I sized down recently and was looking for deadstock of one, no luck.

So I had a look at the new Real catalog and YES it is actually really confusing with how they have the layout with the ticks on the different board options.

The Full SE is red in all of them, which is not an indication that any board is Full SE, just check where the tick is - on the R1 which is their standard shape board, as well as the Full SE boards having the sticker to go with them showing the words Full SE.

That board in question on the Real site is the normal 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase.

Below that is a Full SE just to compare the sticker and tick placement.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1265 on: March 06, 2022, 01:44:39 AM »

I should have used this one as the specific example of the 8.25 Full SE, but at least here it is, this time in the Lintell graphic.

When these first came out I was thinking they were too short and stubby, but after someone bought and set it up, it worked really well, for the 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb and nice wide full kicks.

There is usually one or so every drop in this size, so for you guys riding that size board, this might be a good one to look into.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1266 on: March 06, 2022, 07:26:52 AM »
Got to stand on the 8.38 Full SE and holy shit is that thing big. The nose measured a full 7.25 and tail was almost 7, but the 8.38 Dreamer was barely 7 on the nose and had a fairly short tail. So far I like the boring standard 8.25 the best, but the 8.38 Dreamer is intriguing and I’d like to try the Worrest twin tail someday when I get new trucks.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1267 on: March 06, 2022, 11:58:30 AM »
That monkey business graphic is so good. Tempted to try out the 8.38 full se. Kinda scared of the length of it though. Also might be a really nice balance for me between the stability of king wb and board and the nimbleness of a short board.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1268 on: March 06, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
I stood on both the 8.38 Full SE and dreamer and I cannot see the Full SE being anything close to nimble. Like ya the WB is slightly shorter, but the kicks are quite massive: the tail is bigger than the nose of the normal DLX 8.25 and the fullness is very noticeable.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1269 on: March 06, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »

@LebowskisRug

I guess "nimble" is dependent on what it is compared to.

When I skate the 8.38 boards, either normal (Dreamer if you will) or the Full SE, both feel nimble compared to the original 8.38 Full shape with way longer length and wheelbase, or compared to other 8.5 boards I have on permanent rotation.  To add to that, anything under 8.38 now feels too small for me, which is funny as I used to ride the 8.12 full time for well over a decade.

At least being able to see in person and stand on them all really does help with working out what is good and what is too big or too small for each person.

As much as I know now what most of them are like, so can order sight unseen, anyone else that is particular about specific shapes and sizes should definitely find somewhere that has them and spend some time comparing all of them.

Some of those shapes will take you by surprise and some might be a lot more than you might think in terms of how big they feel compared to other boards in a more normal shape, as you said.

At least there are a good number of options with all the DLX shapes, so they pretty much have everything covered in that regard.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1270 on: March 06, 2022, 06:20:09 PM »
I am not on a dlx shape (crail g053), but I can confirm that, strangely, a board that’s 8.5, with a 14.5 wb, can feel nimble.
Nimble is NOT what I think of with larger dlx shapes tho. Them shits are boats idk how people that are short and old and have the same exact physical limitations as me ride them, at all.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1271 on: March 06, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »
That’s cuz your deck is the opposite of full and the nose is about as big as the 8.38 Full SE tail.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1272 on: March 06, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
Makes sense. Feels great. Also, for me, the length being right at 32 is key. Over that is never really good for me. I wouldn’t call the shape I’m skating tapered, or thin, in the least tho.
It’s opened me up to wanting to try some bigger dlx boards, longer wb’s…the length of the tail and nose is something I’ve never explored. My previous ‘logic’ has been: 14” wb, less than 32 (shit really more like less than 31.5), and 8.25 or less. So me really enjoying this setup has turned a lot of what I thought I knew, upside down.
I’ve tried to skate ALOT of bigger bbs boards and haven’t really gotten a long with any consistently.
Blah blah, dreamer sounds interesting

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1273 on: March 06, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »
I am not on a dlx shape (crail g053), but I can confirm that, strangely, a board that’s 8.5, with a 14.5 wb, can feel nimble.
Nimble is NOT what I think of with larger dlx shapes tho. Them shits are boats idk how people that are short and old and have the same exact physical limitations as me ride them, at all.

I have a couple of friends who share that exact same opinion, so you are not alone there.

When I set up the AH Orange eagle, which I had been eyeing off for a long time, I think I finally realised what "too big" actually felt like though.

That thing at 9 x 33 with 15 wb was too big for me to be comfortable on, even though I had been riding the AH white eagle 8.75 board for a number of years as a go to if I was injured or just wanted a boat ride.

I guess I am taller, so that definitely has something to do with the dimensions being more comfortable up to a point.

Two other much smaller guys I know both ride and love the orange eagles and similar boards, skating everything on them - street, bowl, vert ramps, still do flip tricks and tech stuff, so I really just smile and wonder how they are so controlled on something too big for me.

I guess it doesn't need that much thinking about and everyone should find something that works best for them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1274 on: March 06, 2022, 06:43:16 PM »

I've skated the 8.38 FULL and that thing was a BARGE, I hated every second of it; lasted two sessions. I chalk that up to overall board length, not width or WB.

Thanks @Woodshop, a bit after I posted I looked over the images again and 'got it' weird design at first but then once you get, you get it...would be better off getting rid of the check mark and making the red text the main modifier...and/or putting the damn check AFTER the descriptor like they did on th TG board...or the Ishod twins....slick and twin are red....consistency is key.

Bummed tho, I was kinda stocked for an SE FULL with that longer WB. I don't know why (and I've skated a ton of them) but I can't vibe with the OG DLX 8.25" after skating their fulls.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 06:58:08 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1275 on: March 06, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a couple of friends who share that exact same opinion, so you are not alone there.

When I set up the AH Orange eagle, which I had been eyeing off for a long time, I think I finally realised what "too big" actually felt like though.

That thing at 9 x 33 with 15 wb was too big for me to be comfortable on, even though I had been riding the AH white eagle 8.75 board for a number of years as a go to if I was injured or just wanted a boat ride.

I guess I am taller, so that definitely has something to do with the dimensions being more comfortable up to a point.

Two other much smaller guys I know both ride and love the orange eagles and similar boards, skating everything on them - street, bowl, vert ramps, still do flip tricks and tech stuff, so I really just smile and wonder how they are so controlled on something too big for me.

I guess it doesn't need that much thinking about and everyone should find something that works best for them.

How tall are you? I’m 191cm with US size 10 shoe.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1276 on: March 06, 2022, 07:45:33 PM »

How tall are you? I’m 191cm with US size 10 shoe.

I am just under 190cm (around 80 kgs / 177 pounds) and had been skating US 11 shoes for most of my life, but had often been in 11.5 or more commonly 12 as we don't have half sizes in AU more for chilling or when I had issues, especially with ingrown big toe nails.

Normal board was consistently AH black eagle 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb from 2005 with the blue eagle 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb as a spare if injured or I just wanted a more cruisy ride.  Then about 2017 found joy in the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb, but from 2018 and especially during times I couldn't easily get that board, I have since been riding the "Dreamer" shape and others with longer wheelbases, which I find I like the 14.5 options as it makes me get a little wider and lower / better for what I skate nowdays.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1277 on: March 06, 2022, 08:55:10 PM »
I basically only skate ledges, flatground, carve a bit at the occasional park, and curbs (but not slappies). I've found stepping up to the 14.38 I can skate faster/more confidently. The 8.25 generic BBS with 14.25 always felt a tad cramped since there are not much fingers of flat.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1278 on: March 06, 2022, 11:29:05 PM »
I basically only skate ledges, flatground, carve a bit at the occasional park, and curbs (but not slappies). I've found stepping up to the 14.38 I can skate faster/more confidently. The 8.25 generic BBS with 14.25 always felt a tad cramped since there are not much fingers of flat.

The 8.25/14.38 is the apex. It is the best board ever produced, IMHO. There is nothing better for all-around radness. Perfect shape, ratios, and dimensions. There is literally nothing I would change about that deck.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1279 on: March 07, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »
That shape is almost identical to the generic BBS 8.38, which is nice because that gives me a dozen total brands to choose from.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1280 on: March 07, 2022, 09:39:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 8.25/14.38 is the apex. It is the best board ever produced, IMHO. There is nothing better for all-around radness. Perfect shape, ratios, and dimensions. There is literally nothing I would change about that deck.

Looking at the latest catalog, the shape you are both referencing, would be the r1 8.25x14.38x32 NOT the full se of the same dimensions, correct?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1281 on: March 07, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looking at the latest catalog, the shape you are both referencing, would be the r1 8.25x14.38x32 NOT the full se of the same dimensions, correct?

The SE has a 14.25wb. I made no mention of that, and specifically cited the 14.38wb. So, you should be able to do that math. :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1282 on: March 07, 2022, 10:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The SE has a 14.25wb. I made no mention of that, and specifically cited the 14.38wb. So, you should be able to do that math. :)

Ah, an asshole. Cheers.
I think I might be getting tripped up by the red font used on the catalog.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1283 on: March 07, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah, an asshole. Cheers.
I think I might be getting tripped up by the red font used on the catalog.

The red font is a bit confusing. No question.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1284 on: March 07, 2022, 10:13:34 AM »
Thanks for helping me sort that.
I’d be stoked to buy dlx stuff more often, they seem from afar, like the group to support. I’ve just had a rough time finding a board from them, in recent times, that works for me.
These crail boards that I have been skating have great shaped for me, and the wood is definitely not bad, good even, but it’s not…as great as some I’ve had

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1285 on: March 07, 2022, 10:25:57 AM »
I’d be stoked to buy dlx stuff more often, they seem from afar, like the group to support. I’ve just had a rough time finding a board from them, in recent times, that works for me.
These crail boards that I have been skating have great shaped for me, and the wood is definitely not bad, good even, but it’s not…as great as some I’ve had

DLX does rad stuff for both the world, and for skateboarding. IMHO, no one else in the industry comes close to what they do/have done (I just wish they could make a decent truck). What deck dimensions normally resonate with you/normally ride?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1286 on: March 07, 2022, 03:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DLX does rad stuff for both the world, and for skateboarding. IMHO, no one else in the industry comes close to what they do/have done (I just wish they could make a decent truck). What deck dimensions normally resonate with you/normally ride?

DLX is so highly rated by anyone that I’ve ever spoken to, on a shop level. That means a lot to me.
I have the opposite issue: I really like DLX trucks, boards I thought were too long.
As far as what I like…shit. No idea. I jump around too much. Skated my best 20+ years ago so I have a soft spot for 7.75”, that competes with an equally soft spot of staying abreast of skate world trends. I got the setup I like now, G053 with 149 thunders, based off of watching clips of Carl Aikens and Griffin Gass and such, skate larger boards. It’s working well for me. So yeah, I’m kinda beyond help. My old parameters were 14”wb, 31.5” or less length, 8” trucks, width not as important. I’m going to try a few more Crail shapes that have similar tail and overall lengths, and throw in one of these recommended 8.25s that you like. DLX is tight.
I do wish DLX would use the same board shape guide as Crail uses, that thing is rad.
I also could have read further up on the thread and gleaned to info on the red text. My bad there for sure. I’m way use to skipping over DLX (bbs, polar, etc) boards and so I don’t really pay attention. 
I’m always stoked when I read a strong recommendation.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: March 07, 2022, 07:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

DLX is so highly rated by anyone that I’ve ever spoken to, on a shop level. That means a lot to me.
I have the opposite issue: I really like DLX trucks, boards I thought were too long.
As far as what I like…shit. No idea. I jump around too much. Skated my best 20+ years ago so I have a soft spot for 7.75”, that competes with an equally soft spot of staying abreast of skate world trends. I got the setup I like now, G053 with 149 thunders, based off of watching clips of Carl Aikens and Griffin Gass and such, skate larger boards. It’s working well for me. So yeah, I’m kinda beyond help. My old parameters were 14”wb, 31.5” or less length, 8” trucks, width not as important. I’m going to try a few more Crail shapes that have similar tail and overall lengths, and throw in one of these recommended 8.25s that you like. DLX is tight.
I do wish DLX would use the same board shape guide as Crail uses, that thing is rad.
I also could have read further up on the thread and gleaned to info on the red text. My bad there for sure. I’m way use to skipping over DLX (bbs, polar, etc) boards and so I don’t really pay attention. 

DLX are increasingly putting out more shorter wheelbase boards now too, so for the Real options, there are a few, initially the Tropical series and now there are a couple of other graphic options.

I might have a bias to what I find works, is easily available and is a company I can support, but DLX is definitely up there, for sure.

There are lots of boards within those ranges, including the Full SE options as well.

* Edit

Also I had to look up what the G053 shape was and didn't realise you were on such a big board (after comments with smaller boards), but that one as follows:

Deck width: 8.5"
Deck length: 32.0"
Wheel base: 14.4375"
Shape: G053
Nose: 6.875"
Tail: 6.4875"
OG concave

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1288 on: March 07, 2022, 07:51:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

DLX are increasingly putting out more shorter wheelbase boards now too, so for the Real options, there are a few, initially the Tropical series and now there are a couple of other graphic options.

I might have a bias to what I find works, is easily available and is a company I can support, but DLX is definitely up there, for sure.

There are lots of boards within those ranges, including the Full SE options as well.

* Edit

Also I had to look up what the G053 shape was and didn't realise you were on such a big board (after comments with smaller boards), but that one as follows:

Deck width: 8.5"
Deck length: 32.0"
Wheel base: 14.4375"
Shape: G053
Nose: 6.875"
Tail: 6.4875"
OG concave

That crail shape guide, i know I’ve blathered on about it, but dang it’s nice. I noticed that the tail dimensions are the same on the G053 as the crail 7.75 shape I’ve ridden previously.
That I am enjoying this big of a board is kinda weird to me, although the last board I really rated was also an 8.5 (14.25x32.125 ish ps stix, pop was fantastic). Aaaaaanyways, I pretty much only skate flatground. Treflips are giving me trouble, but are doable for sure. Switchflips and Ollie’s are waaaay better on this big ass (for me) board. My bag is so small.
I snagged the big setup on a whim, and being easily influenced (wanted the new Carl shape but this is what they had). The stability of the longer wb is great, inspires more speed.
Hopefully I’m able to find a Krooked in this 8.25 shape, I am a Real hater

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1289 on: March 07, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
Krooked never gets the Full SE as far as I know. They get the twin tails and some of their riders have proprietary shapes, but their 8.25 are all 14.38 same as the normal DLX 8.25. Full SE is all Real.