Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233877 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1530 on: July 13, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
Krooked Summer 2022 Drop is up

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

No Manderson 8.38" x 32" w/ 14.25" WB this time around, but I've noticed they tend to do that shape every other drop.
Definitely gonna have to buy two of them when the Fall drop hits, been my favorite shape lately.

Ronnie's 8.5" looks like it could be interesting, and I've been wanting to try the Bobby twin tail slick for a bit too

Man...the art and colorways for the 8.3 twin slicks have been wanting....for years...so drab and uninspired....it's like they don't want them to pop/sell.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:33:11 PM by Xen »

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1531 on: July 13, 2022, 10:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote

No Manderson 8.38" x 32" w/ 14.25" WB this time around, but I've noticed they tend to do that shape every other drop.
Definitely gonna have to buy two of them when the Fall drop hits, been my favorite shape lately.

Ronnie's 8.5" looks like it could be interesting, and I've been wanting to try the Bobby twin tail slick for a bit too
[close]

Man...the art and colorways for the 8.3 twin slicks have been wanting....for years...so drab and uninspired....it's like they don't want them to pop/sell.

All the art budget at dlx goes to grimplestix now

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1532 on: July 14, 2022, 02:16:08 AM »
how did i know the drehobl shape wouldnt return
I just saw some webshops get a few more in more in
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1533 on: July 14, 2022, 04:23:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

All the art budget at dlx goes to grimplestix now

Haha! True…Grimple is the best!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1534 on: July 14, 2022, 05:00:07 AM »

Expand Quote
how did i know the drehobl shape wouldnt return
[close]
I just saw some webshops get a few more in more in

I feel like half the shops haven't even got the main drop of the last (Spring 22) catalog, but that could just be me.

Most boards are still around for a while, as well as restocks as Jakeumms said, maybe not in the most popular shops, but searches for the specific words still show a lot of the Drehobl / Anderson decks.

Search for:

Krooked cresant deck

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/drehobl-cresant-925-double-drilled-skateboard-deck/maroon

Four left in stock there at least.

With some inconsistencies in listing the Manderson or Anderson decks just look up:

Krooked Simplicity deck
Krooked drama deck

Or the most recent one, which still shows in stock on Tactics among other places (five left in stock)

Krooked 1772 deck

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/anderson-1772-838-skateboard-deck

*  I only used Tactics as an example because here in Australia, quite a few of the more select shops links don't come up, but I can always find info there, but try those search words only, not Drehobl or Manderson / Anderson and you should be able to find a few more that might not come up from other searches.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1535 on: July 14, 2022, 07:06:06 AM »
The DLX summer drop was in shops in CA 6 weeks ago and they're always posted on IG or in stores way before the sites update.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #1536 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:23 AM »
I'm trying to ween myself off of the Jason Dill industrial complex, does DLX have a shape similar to an FA 8.25?

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1537 on: July 14, 2022, 08:17:50 AM »
I'm trying to ween myself off of the Jason Dill industrial complex, does DLX have a shape similar to an FA 8.25?

In terms of dimensions, it looks like the closest thing Deluxe offers is the Real Twin Tail
8.25 x 31.8 - 14.33

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1538 on: July 14, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In terms of dimensions, it looks like the closest thing Deluxe offers is the Real Twin Tail
8.25 x 31.8 - 14.33
The shape is different but the DLX 8.28 has the 14.125wb in common with the FA 8.25. Usually those come out with Mason or Harry Lintell's name on them. Kicks aren't as steep and the nose isn't so big and blunt but the dims are pretty similar otherwise.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1539 on: July 16, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

8.25 x 31.8 - 14.33
[close]
The shape is different but the DLX 8.28 has the 14.125wb in common with the FA 8.25. Usually those come out with Mason or Harry Lintell's name on them. Kicks aren't as steep and the nose isn't so big and blunt but the dims are pretty similar otherwise.
I love the 8.28 shape, but it feels like a "normal" shape with a short wheelbase instead of the super steep kicks that FA boards have.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1540 on: July 16, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »

Dimension wise, the 8.28 as others have said. But in general, no, there aren't DLX decks that have similar shapes to FA imo. The big fat nose and steep kicks are way too different.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1541 on: July 17, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dimension wise, the 8.28 as others have said. But in general, no, there aren't DLX decks that have similar shapes to FA imo. The big fat nose and steep kicks are way too different.
The Mike Anderson shape!!!!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1542 on: July 17, 2022, 07:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Even if it was a roman numeral I, do you think it compares shape wise? It's still pretty different overall than FA imo. Quasi and GX1000 decks might come closer imo

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #1543 on: July 17, 2022, 08:44:23 PM »
Word! Thanks guys

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1544 on: July 17, 2022, 09:17:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Even if it was a roman numeral I, do you think it compares shape wise? It's still pretty different overall than FA imo. Quasi and GX1000 decks might come closer imo

Steep kicks you say? Just park one of your front wheel over the nose of a FA/hockey overnight and you'll thank me a few posts down from here.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1545 on: August 09, 2022, 12:22:45 PM »
I just noticed that the "board constructions" link on the Real website is gone. I was wondering when they were going to update that, esp the regular "full" shapes which no one has seen in a long time...I wonder if this means those (e.g. the regular fulls) are officially dead in the water.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1546 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:47 PM »
I think There and some of the rare Real decks use them, but they aren't as widely pressed now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1547 on: August 09, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
I just noticed that the "board constructions" link on the Real website is gone. I was wondering when they were going to update that, esp the regular "full" shapes which no one has seen in a long time...I wonder if this means those (e.g. the regular fulls) are officially dead in the water.

I noticed that the other day too.  Had a small panic attack, but used the search to find it and it is still there.

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

I am pretty sure I saved all the images from that the first time I saw it, as well as anything else of interest from here and there, but did a full page download again so I have it all in a current file.

There is an 8.5 Full (original) on the horizon for one board too, so who knows if others are going to make a comeback again at some point.

It seemed like there were a couple coming out just before the pandemic hit, but then as said, nothing since then, but even some of the other old shapes are slowly coming back, so there might be a little more interest again for some every now and then.

The Full SE shapes definitely have more of a following, which makes sense with the more proportional wheelbases, but I still know a few people that want the 14.6 and up in the wheelbase department too.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1548 on: August 09, 2022, 06:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I noticed that the other day too.  Had a small panic attack, but used the search to find it and it is still there.

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

I am pretty sure I saved all the images from that the first time I saw it, as well as anything else of interest from here and there, but did a full page download again so I have it all in a current file.

There is an 8.5 Full (original) on the horizon for one board too, so who knows if others are going to make a comeback again at some point.

It seemed like there were a couple coming out just before the pandemic hit, but then as said, nothing since then, but even some of the other old shapes are slowly coming back, so there might be a little more interest again for some every now and then.

The Full SE shapes definitely have more of a following, which makes sense with the more proportional wheelbases, but I still know a few people that want the 14.6 and up in the wheelbase department too.

Would be nice if they made radials/radial slims again, too.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1549 on: August 10, 2022, 11:19:49 AM »
Anyone got a review of the manderson shape? I have been curious about it for a while and after Ben degros saying that it is his current go to shape has got me even more curious.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1550 on: August 10, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »

I’d trust in Ben.

I’ve been sitting on one, just hadn’t gotten around to setting it up…I’m trying to move off 8.3s and commit to the dlx 8.5/quasi proto 8.5….they’d easy to find, always in a drop and consistent.

That said…it’s just ‘current’ favoritism, he used to say this about the dlx 8.28” paired with Indys….he still has the madness.

52mm Spit classics seem to be the only thing he’s sold on ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 12:40:24 PM by Xen »

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1551 on: August 10, 2022, 01:23:34 PM »

I’d trust in Ben.

I’ve been sitting on one, just hadn’t gotten around to setting it up…I’m trying to move off 8.3s and commit to the dlx 8.5/quasi proto 8.5….they’d easy to find, always in a drop and consistent.

That said…it’s just ‘current’ favoritism, he used to say this about the dlx 8.28” paired with Indys….he still has the madness.

Funny enough, I just got off a proto 8.5 and am now adjusting to a deluxe full se 8.5. It's worth noting that I measured both of them and the Quasi is more like 8.375 than 8.5. I don't get why the woodshops do that shit with the measurements.

It's crazy how different the decks feel from each other. I'm having a little bit of trouble adjusting. The Quasi had such a mellow tail, it was hard to get used to, and now it's hard to switch off of. The tail is awesome for cruising and manuals, but I honestly hated the pop with my Ace trucks.

What are your thoughts on the two?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1552 on: August 10, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »

I’d trust in Ben.

Yeah, I was really surprised when he said he was riding thunders. 144 Indy Standards were his gold standard for such a long time, so going a wider axle and thunder geometry is a huge change. Maybe the extra stability/less surfy turn is better for his knee?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1553 on: August 10, 2022, 02:13:01 PM »
Injury and trick selection could be playing a factor given that he sized up, who knows what causes the madness.

Ps stix are always weird to adjust to, especially the mellow tails (planb tails are almost nonexistent kicks) even board to board; that’s the beauty of the dlx 8.5x31.85 it’s the most consistent board they make, probably because all three brands use it every drop, and, well, you just don’t fuck with the AH Eagle; the SE boards seem to be inconsistent with dims in my experience.

I’ve not ridden the manderson but I agree with bens comments on the shape. Closer to the dlx full, but with a little bit, just a touch of that FA/Quasi/AWS square full, just a touch.

I think @Mbrimson88 has comments in this thread about the manderson shape.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:28:28 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1554 on: August 10, 2022, 05:27:42 PM »
Injury and trick selection could be playing a factor given that he sized up, who knows what causes the madness.

Ps stix are always weird to adjust to, especially the mellow tails (planb tails are almost nonexistent kicks) even board to board; that’s the beauty of the dlx 8.5x31.85 it’s the most consistent board they make, probably because all three brands use it every drop, and, well, you just don’t fuck with the AH Eagle; the SE boards seem to be inconsistent with dims in my experience.

I’ve not ridden the manderson but I agree with bens comments on the shape. Closer to the dlx full, but with a little bit, just a touch of that FA/Quasi/AWS square full, just a touch.

I think @Mbrimson88 has comments in this thread about the manderson shape.

I have definitely been curious about the shape but never actually seen one in person, only some really good pics from online shops, so yes there will be those a few pages back, so just search MANDERSON in this thread and all of it comes up.

Page 41 has the best top pic:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3734385#msg3734385

@LebowskisRug did have one though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1555 on: August 10, 2022, 05:29:28 PM »

Thought it might just be easier to repost it again anyway.

For reference, here are the two to compare, both the same length and wheelbase, almost the same width, but significantly different when you see the tops of the normal 8.4 board and then the 8.38 Manderson shape:

8.4 (normal shape)

8.38 Manderson shape

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #1556 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »
This is a really dumb question but... all DXL brands are made with the same wood right? I've always assumed this but I don't think I've ever confirmed it, so excuse my stupidness...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
This is a really dumb question but... all DXL brands are made with the same wood right? I've always assumed this but I don't think I've ever confirmed it, so excuse my stupidness...

Yes, BBS/Generator (as far as we know).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1558 on: August 11, 2022, 12:29:23 PM »
I've had the Manderson on Ventures and hated it. Very big kicks and they're very steep for DLX. I would try it again with other trucks tho. It's a fucking beast compared to the DLX 8.5 I posted a pic of the 2 next to each other in this thread at one point.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1559 on: August 11, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »
I'm on my 3rd Manderson deck right now. Really digging it, I think this is my go to shape for now.

I really like the steep concave, blunt kicks, and the big kinda square nose.

I've had I, III, and currently on a IV, which is still pretty steep.

I've ran indys and aces on the Manderson and I've been preferring aces lately for sure. I don't really get that dead pop that some boards get with aces.

Been wanting to get a pair of 44 classics for the flush fit. I've been running 144s and af1 44s on it.

Also, manuals and nose mannys work way better for me with this shape, I think it's the steeper concave.

Flatground feels noticeably better too