Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233338 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1650 on: September 05, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »
8.5 with sub 14 wheelbase is gonna be great for smaller skaters who like wide shit. I've always been a small dude, and I've never had great pop or ability to form certain tricks because my board felt way too big. That is, until I discovered boards with short wheelbases... Now I can get in on trash can ollie sessions and can 360 flip, and I really do attribute a lot of that to riding short wheelbases. There are so many younger and just generally smaller skaters (male and female) that will benefit from those True to Fit molds.

There are plenty of other options from DLX. Honestly a bit weird people feel "let down" by their selection when there is so much to choose from already for the average skater. Sorry it didn't turn out that they'd make any board size/shape you custom ordered lmao... there are fine woodworkers out there that will do that for ye, for a fee.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1651 on: September 05, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
Fun fact Kaders old big boi shapes were all on a 14". Source: BBS employee as they dropped the same shape off at a shop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1652 on: September 05, 2022, 05:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Have you hit them up and asked about the sizes?
[close]

Nope. And I never would. Why? Because the 8.25/14.38 is the best deck skateboarding has ever produced, and I don’t really care about anything else. :)

That said, 8.25/14.25 is such a “standard” I’m just surprised they don’t make a proper one, esp. considering they seem to be the company that wants to make something for everyone. Same with 8.5/14.5. Those are like the ONLY two variables they do NOT have covered, and I’d be curious to hear their reasoning for not making them.

Ha yeah, I don't question what they make and just take what I like from whatever is there, along with the other BBS shapes I prefer and just blank whatever graphic is on them.

8.5 with sub 14 wheelbase is gonna be great for smaller skaters who like wide shit. I've always been a small dude, and I've never had great pop or ability to form certain tricks because my board felt way too big. That is, until I discovered boards with short wheelbases... Now I can get in on trash can ollie sessions and can 360 flip, and I really do attribute a lot of that to riding short wheelbases. There are so many younger and just generally smaller skaters (male and female) that will benefit from those True to Fit molds.

There are plenty of other options from DLX. Honestly a bit weird people feel "let down" by their selection when there is so much to choose from already for the average skater. Sorry it didn't turn out that they'd make any board size/shape you custom ordered lmao... there are fine woodworkers out there that will do that for ye, for a fee.

For sure.

They really do have pretty much everything covered now.  Some might say they have too many options, but I think people can buy what they want and that should work.  Hopefully less thought of which graphic kids want and more thought as to which shape works best for them, but that might be hoping for too much.

Goodness knows it took a long, long time for me to work out exactly what I wanted, but it was more just whatever felt good and so I would get more of them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1653 on: September 05, 2022, 05:50:53 PM »
Goodness knows it took a long, long time for me to work out exactly what I wanted, but it was more just whatever felt good and so I would get more of them.

@Mbrimson88 I just thank SLAP and the people here like you who spread the good word, that's how I found what works for me
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1654 on: September 05, 2022, 09:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
And their 8.06 is 14.38. The whole purpose of that shape is to put high selling riders names on it, none of them ride it, so make it 14.1 or something for the smaller kids that do. It's so fucking pinner and I like toothpick shaped decks and it blows my mind a bit.
[close]

Cromer, Zion, and I think Pfanner ride the 8.06 shapes. I like the 14.38 WB, gives you the advantages of a smaller deck without sacrificing stability imo and let's be real, the kids aren't going to know the difference between 14.1 and 14.38.
[close]

No they don't. Pfanner rides an 8.5 (he's said as much in interviews), Cromer rides 8.125 (I asked him, dunno about Zion. Someone very high up at DLX told me that most team riders have a preferred size and they send them heat transfers of that size with their and other graphics. Some dudes even have the stickers from their other sponsors in the transfer.

This same individual noted that they arrange a drop's shapes by best selling and what pro has been coming up with sales and footage. Baker does the same supposedly.

Didn't know Pfanner ride an 8.5, I thought I saw him on a smaller brown eagle deck but that could have been super old footage. Cromer said he rides an 8.06 with thunder 147s, there's a ss in the 8.0 thread from a DM. When did you ask him?

I believe there's a YT video from Red Bull or similar where Zion goes over his setup and pretty sure he said 8.06 with some variation of Indy 139s. I'll add the video here if I can find it but I get the feeling most people don't give a shit about Zion lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1655 on: September 05, 2022, 10:09:44 PM »
I asked him prob a month or two ago.

Pfanner interview from 2016 where he makes it sound like he doesn't switch: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/stoke-levels-rising-chris-pfanner-interview/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1656 on: September 05, 2022, 10:21:12 PM »
I asked him prob a month or two ago.

Pfanner interview from 2016 where he makes it sound like he doesn't switch: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/stoke-levels-rising-chris-pfanner-interview/

Sick thanks for confirming. Pretty sure the DM I'm referring to is older than that so 8.125 it is.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1657 on: September 06, 2022, 12:58:12 AM »
Just to clarify, Chris P. says 8.25 in that interview, not 8.5.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #1658 on: September 06, 2022, 03:52:58 AM »
I wish DLX would do more 8.28’s with less shitty graphics. The only decks I can find online are the cathedral series.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1659 on: September 06, 2022, 04:07:14 AM »
I wish DLX would do more 8.28’s with less shitty graphics. The only decks I can find online are the cathedral series.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1660 on: September 06, 2022, 06:53:47 AM »
I bought the momloveart guest artist deck because I liked the art. Hopefully, they will do more guest artists.

I also think Krooked has great art but I can understand if you don't like it.

IpathCats

« Reply #1661 on: September 06, 2022, 07:10:44 AM »
just more options with 14.5+ WB. Love the 8.38 with the 14.5, twins are nice too, but i think im leaning into the 8.38 lately, jus slightly bigger in every dimension. perfect for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1662 on: September 06, 2022, 07:17:24 AM »
The local shop told me apparently people collect the cathedral series. I didn't believe him until a person that didn't seem to skate walked in and bought both from the new drop.

And I was wrong on Pfanner misremembered that. Did notice in the new Vans Europe vid he rides a navy eagle a lot.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1663 on: September 06, 2022, 07:55:57 AM »

That's the 8.28 x 31.7 with 14.12 wb board?

Trying to think what options there are, but found these on a quick search:

Real - Harry Lintel and Mason Silva boards, mostly the cathedral graphic as said, but there still seemed like quite a few older graphics around from both of those guys, same shape, etc.

Krooked - Gerwer guest deck (pretty much sold out everywhere, but there still seemed like one or two around)

Antihero - nothing recent.

I can understand from what I saw how you might not be so keen on what is out there, both from current and past drops.

Guessing if you want that particular shape, you don't have a lot of options, besides blanking it or painting over it / stickering it up.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1664 on: September 23, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »

Real Fall 2022 is up.

An interesting one is the Kyle Walker mellow mold slick board.

Not that I need a slick, but if this is the same mold of a few of the 8.38 boards I have had over the last few years, they were almost too mellow for me, which is weird as I like mellow kicks.

It will probably be a while before these even get to Australia, but if anyone else gets to stand on one, I would be interested to hear what they think.

https://realskateboards.com/

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2022, 08:42:44 AM »

Real Fall 2022 is up.

An interesting one is the Kyle Walker mellow mold slick board.

Not that I need a slick, but if this is the same mold of a few of the 8.38 boards I have had over the last few years, they were almost too mellow for me, which is weird as I like mellow kicks.

It will probably be a while before these even get to Australia, but if anyone else gets to stand on one, I would be interested to hear what they think.

https://realskateboards.com/

that silva 8.06 is just the eagle with a diff graphic, yeah?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »
That 8.38 mellow mold is identical to the other DLX 8.38s my locals had.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1667 on: September 24, 2022, 11:38:45 PM »

The normal 8.38 is just that - normal BBS concave, whereas the mellow mold is a specifically flatter board.

You can contact DLX yourself to check if you want.

Of the fifty plus, yes actually more than fifty of the DLX 8.38 decks I have had pass through my hands, with half of those I skated myself, there have been three that are definitely the Kyle Walker "mellow mold" and all three of those were way flatter than the nomal boards in every way.  I still have one, unskated and most likely will never skate it, even though I like mellow, this thing is so flat it is ridiculous. 

Comparing it to a box of other DLX 8.38 that it is in with, it is so easy to see the differences, example being the angle of the kicks is only about 15 degrees, normal boards are between 19 and 22, down to about 17 to 18 when flattened to my liking but anything lower than that feels like your foot is just going to fall off the end, if that is any indication for people who like numbers, but if there are still any doubts, I can go take some pics again for show and tell.

If I could also give the mellow mold a number, it would probably be about VIII or IX when compared to the usual I, II, III or IV if that is a different indicator with the press numbers too, so yes being about 8 or 9 is super mellow.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1668 on: September 25, 2022, 02:16:42 PM »

The normal 8.38 is just that - normal BBS concave, whereas the mellow mold is a specifically flatter board.

Of the fifty plus, yes actually more than fifty of the DLX 8.38 decks I have had pass through my hands, with half of those I skated myself, there have been three that are definitely the Kyle Walker "mellow mold" and all three of those were way flatter than the nomal boards in every way.  I still have one, unskated and most likely will never skate it, even though I like mellow, this thing is so flat it is ridiculous. 

Comparing it to a box of other DLX 8.38 that it is in with, it is so easy to see the differences, example being the angle of the kicks is only about 15 degrees, normal boards are between 19 and 22, down to about 17 to 18 when flattened to my liking but anything lower than that feels like your foot is just going to fall off the end, if that is any indication for people who like numbers, but if there are still any doubts, I can go take some pics again for show and tell.

If I could also give the mellow mold a number, it would probably be about VIII or IX when compared to the usual I, II, III or IV if that is a different indicator with the press numbers too, so yes being about 8 or 9 is super mellow.

I put the mellow mold on top of an 8.38 anti hero II and they had the exact same kick steepness and concave. I then grabbed another anti hero 8.38 and again- same.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1669 on: September 25, 2022, 04:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put the mellow mold on top of an 8.38 anti hero II and they had the exact same kick steepness and concave. I then grabbed another anti hero 8.38 and again- same.

They already had a Kyle Walker slick in the store you went into???

What store is that?

* Edit:  I forget that the Real catalog is super late, so I just saw half a dozen shops already have that board in stock.

Also is it all natural ply?

Thought that might be a bit weird looking, or I might be thinking of a different board.

Found this and it is stained top at least.

https://shop.ccs.com/products/real-kyle-bonsai-slick-skateboard-deck-8-38

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0519/1388/3831/products/888560279810-2_69442251-f10f-4dd6-acd1-18b0a2d323a4.jpg

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:22:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1670 on: September 25, 2022, 04:09:02 PM »
Slappy's Garage in San Diego. That drop has been in stores for like 6-8 weeks now. The new Krooked one just arrived. I went back to get the Kyle Walker deck and it was sold out.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1671 on: September 25, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »
Yeah it is a funny one.

I do think the 8.38 boards are done on a more mellow mold than other boards to start with, or at least quite a few I have that are stamped I are more mellow than other (like 8.25 or 8.5 boards I have stamped IV) but that could also be something to do with mixing things up in the woodshop, but who knows really.

Either way it is curious, because some of these boards that are super flat I would have been pissed if I had ordered that board from a shop, got it and then thought this is so flat I can't even ride it, which is what I did with the first one that came in one shipment when I had the shop.  I skated it for a day then passed it on to someone else.

Second one sat on the shelf for so long until someone liked the graphic (so no idea about concaves or the usual madness that goes through my head) and the third one I just kept when the shop closed.

I still have a couple of boxes of 8.38s which for the most part are IVs and IIIs but some are IIs and Is as well.

I will take some pics anyway, cause it is interesting to see how much difference there is between these ones.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1672 on: September 25, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »
Oh they are more mellow and tapered for sure. It's kinda weird compared to other DLX shapes like that "8.5" everyone loves is shorter but has bigger kicks and the 8.25 is way more full. They tend to be about the same as the Bakers, which I like a lot at the beginning but by the end the pop isn't great for sure.

I dunno what's up with DLX lately- the shops down here all had that Real drop before any online sites but then didn't get any DLX for like a month or more and when they did it wasn't very much. Same with wheels too like they only got a single shape, but then every shop up North seems to get full lineups all at once.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1673 on: September 25, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »
Has there been any other updates with the true fit molds in the past few weeks?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1674 on: September 25, 2022, 08:50:13 PM »
Has there been any other updates with the true fit molds in the past few weeks?

My understanding was that post from someone was from the as yet unreleased catalog from DLX, so there will be a whole lot more info coming out closer to when all those boards actually make it out in the next drop (late 2022), or the next next catalog drops, which would be first or second drop of 2023.

Seems like someone always leaks pics and info here or there, but most people in the industry / skate shops or whoever would have seen the full catalog if they are still on the mailing list.

A certain somebody I know said there are some amazing things coming out, but best to wait and see soon enough.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1675 on: September 26, 2022, 07:06:43 AM »

More just for curiosity than anything else.

Here's the Real 8.38 mellow mold board, on the bottom, against another Real 8.38 and two Antihero 8.38 olive eagles.

All four of them are the same shape and dimensions, just the bottom one is so much flatter throughout.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1676 on: September 26, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »

More just for curiosity than anything else.

Here's the Real 8.38 mellow mold board, on the bottom, against another Real 8.38 and two Antihero 8.38 olive eagles.

All four of them are the same shape and dimensions, just the bottom one is so much flatter throughout.

Whoa.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1677 on: September 26, 2022, 07:57:03 AM »
Recently in the shop I saw a II that was like the bottom and III that were the others. Like reverse of what you'd expect. Are all those boards from the same run? Maybe the one I saw was a pure anomaly, but they have another Kyle Walker in there that's similar. I don't like steep decks so I always check kicks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1678 on: September 26, 2022, 09:44:34 PM »
Recently in the shop I saw a II that was like the bottom and III that were the others. Like reverse of what you'd expect. Are all those boards from the same run? Maybe the one I saw was a pure anomaly, but they have another Kyle Walker in there that's similar. I don't like steep decks so I always check kicks.

I definitely have seen some that are maybe from mellow molds and others from normal or steeper molds, example all in these 8.38 boards, a couple of teal topped boards that both had stamped  "I" on them were more mellow than anything else and I love them.

Chances are they were the top stack on that mellow mold and the mellow board I got as per the pic above, which is a "IV" is definitely the bottom of the mellow mold stack, which would explain why that one was so much more mellow than the normal molds "IV" boards.

I was a bit of a pain and always asked for the "IV" from any of the boards I would order, if no "IV", then any "III" and so on, but while in some stores after my own shop closed, standing on those other teal tops that were stamped with a "I" and I was just thinking "This is perfect" so didn't care how much it cost and was stoked to get a board that was just right for exactly how I wanted it.

Found a couple of other since, all teal tops maybe from the same run, couple of different graphics all in 8.38 size.

I am probably such a painful customer when I go into shops as I like to stand on any and every board that catches my eye, but most places have a good carpet mat or something to stand on, so not a worry there.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1679 on: September 28, 2022, 08:01:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I definitely have seen some that are maybe from mellow molds and others from normal or steeper molds, example all in these 8.38 boards, a couple of teal topped boards that both had stamped  "I" on them were more mellow than anything else and I love them.

Chances are they were the top stack on that mellow mold and the mellow board I got as per the pic above, which is a "IV" is definitely the bottom of the mellow mold stack, which would explain why that one was so much more mellow than the normal molds "IV" boards.

I was a bit of a pain and always asked for the "IV" from any of the boards I would order, if no "IV", then any "III" and so on, but while in some stores after my own shop closed, standing on those other teal tops that were stamped with a "I" and I was just thinking "This is perfect" so didn't care how much it cost and was stoked to get a board that was just right for exactly how I wanted it.

Found a couple of other since, all teal tops maybe from the same run, couple of different graphics all in 8.38 size.

I am probably such a painful customer when I go into shops as I like to stand on any and every board that catches my eye, but most places have a good carpet mat or something to stand on, so not a worry there.

This is where the single press should come into play, if you are making a specialty concave, it should be consistent, now, if you want that mold, you have to decide mellow? not mellow? sort of mellow?

Just set up a Hause 8.25 Full SE (it's a III), really looking forward to riding it; it's been years since I touched that shape...and still measures 8.3" (not 8.25 or 8.35/.75 etc). Would have preferred a I or II but w/e, close enough to the Manderson II I have setup...the shapes are not that far off if say, the Manderson didn't drop that often.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:56:46 PM by Xen »