Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233608 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2070 on: September 02, 2023, 06:38:28 AM »
This might have been answered before, but my search attempts remained futile: would anyone know what "II" means on the top of the deck (in the middle of the front bolts) on my Antihero deck?
Where it was in the press.
They press 4 decks at a time.
1 will be the steepest
4 most mellow

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2071 on: September 02, 2023, 08:42:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
got no answers in the 7.75 thread, still curious about this. any ideas?

Expand Quote
So I was checking out the 7.81 green eagle on Skatepark of Tampa website, and I noticed they had two sizes - 31.4 (which I always recall it being), and 31.75.  Anyone know what the 31.75 is?  Maybe the new China Deluxe decks?
[close]

Expand Quote
no good answer, but found some images -

from DLXSF themselves in spring 2015

a sticker from what i'm assuming is a more recent 7.81

[close]
[close]

@Thebird

I am guessing it might not even be a change in the board size, but more a change in the stickers.  Seen that happen before, went to check and the board was still the same as the older ones, but the size sticker had been corrected.

Of course as you said, that older catalog might have been that longer size and at some point they shortened it to fit in with what they wanted and someone somewhere has put up info from an old catalog or whatever.

Until you see it in person, I wouldn't put too much stock in things like that.

All the other shop listings I have just looked at had the length as 31.3 or 31.4 which seems like it is the correct length.

* I don't think the China boards will be any different in size, as well as the eagles all still being 100% made by BBS in Mexico, as per the press release.
[close]

always appreciate your insight, thanks dude
[close]

The latest AH catalog is out now, as per link:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/fall-2023/

What I did notice there is the eagles now have the sizes with dimensions listed too, with everything pretty much as expected, although the green one is listed as per the previous question, 31.75 so that could be interesting for someone to actually look for a new one and check for you.

so nice of them to do that this round, shoutout the dlx graphic designer who 100% read slap and saw my struggles
i'll poke around a few shops and see before i send anyone else on a goose chase. thanks again!

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2072 on: September 02, 2023, 12:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote
This might have been answered before, but my search attempts remained futile: would anyone know what "II" means on the top of the deck (in the middle of the front bolts) on my Antihero deck?
[close]
Where it was in the press.
They press 4 decks at a time.
1 will be the steepest
4 most mellow

Ahhhhh

Thank you. And thanks for the Degros vid, previous poster.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2073 on: September 04, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »
Random thoughts/post from a slow night at work…

I religiously ride IV stamped decks. I have a small stock pile of them. Any time I’m near any skate shop (my local core shop, or even a Zumies), if they have an 8.25/14.38/IV in stock, I’ll buy it. I usually keep about three of them “on-hand,” because sometimes they can be hard(er) to come by.

Tactics was recently having a sale on a few There 8.25 decks ($49 each). Normally I won’t by decks on-line, because I might end up with the horrific “I” stamp. But, for $49, I •had• to role the dice. They had two decks in stock, and I got both. When the box came, I was scared to open it. I ended up with a IV (score!) and a III.

I set the III up last week, and I’m actually loving it. Maybe even more than the IVs. This is great news, because it’s expanding my available deck options by 25%. That’s awesome.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2074 on: September 04, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »
I've legit compare numbers in a shop before where they had several of each and often times a II would be steeper than a I or whatever. Also different DLX shapes seem to vary more- an 8.4 is almost always a I or II, but more mellow than the 8.25 III and IV I had before.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2075 on: September 04, 2023, 09:56:05 PM »
I've legit compare numbers in a shop before where they had several of each and often times a II would be steeper than a I or whatever. Also different DLX shapes seem to vary more- an 8.4 is almost always a I or II, but more mellow than the 8.25 III and IV I had before.

In my area it seems the 8.25 is always a I or II, and the 8.4 is usually III or IV.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2076 on: September 05, 2023, 10:17:13 AM »
Weird I wonder if they pick at random or have some sort of batch process where like I and II go to Southern areas and III and IV go to the North? Cuz any times I've gotten a DLX deck mail order from Tactics it's been a III and IV.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2077 on: September 05, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
Weird I wonder if they pick at random or have some sort of batch process where like I and II go to Southern areas and III and IV go to the North? Cuz any times I've gotten a DLX deck mail order from Tactics it's been a III and IV.

I'm up in Canada and all of the (3) 8.5s (blue eagle and others with the same dims) I've bought were IV. Not complaining, I love these boards.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2078 on: September 05, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my area it seems the 8.25 is always a I or II, and the 8.4 is usually III or IV.

For me it seems random, i've gotten 8.06 IV and 8.5 I online and in shops it's pretty mixed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2079 on: September 05, 2023, 03:41:57 PM »
Random thoughts/post from a slow night at work…

I religiously ride IV stamped decks. I have a small stock pile of them. Any time I’m near any skate shop (my local core shop, or even a Zumies), if they have an 8.25/14.38/IV in stock, I’ll buy it. I usually keep about three of them “on-hand,” because sometimes they can be hard(er) to come by.

Tactics was recently having a sale on a few There 8.25 decks ($49 each). Normally I won’t by decks on-line, because I might end up with the horrific “I” stamp. But, for $49, I •had• to role the dice. They had two decks in stock, and I got both. When the box came, I was scared to open it. I ended up with a IV (score!) and a III.

I set the III up last week, and I’m actually loving it. Maybe even more than the IVs. This is great news, because it’s expanding my available deck options by 25%. That’s awesome.

Yes definitely seen this before too.

I put it down to different presses - some being more mellow than others - so a I stamp from a mellow press might still be more mellow than a IV stamp from a regular press, as I have had with some 8.38 eagles and a couple of other graphics on 8.38 sized boards, all seemingly with teal top stains too, I think.

Also many of the 8.38 sized boards I get generally seem to be more mellow than the 8.25 sized boards that come through my hands, but again that might be just what we end up with here.

Of a dozen or more of each, some multiple boards of the same run, same graphic, etc, there were definitely differences in the same stamps.  Even small differences in the widths too, but I don't really worry about that side of things too much.

Sure the angle of the kicks on I stamps might be a bit more than IV stamps, but most of the III stamps still work well for me too, even the I and II if I flatten the kicks out a bit, as I have done more recently with getting whatever random sale boards when I could.

I would be curious to ask anyone who had more than a few boards, put them all together and compare concaves in them and see if they come up a bit more here or there, even between different stamps, etc.

There have only been a couple of DLX boards I just couldn't ride due to too much side to side concave including a Grosso 9.25 with a I stamp, (as I could always flatten out the kicks on anything regardless of stamps) but there seem to be a lot more BBS boards with higher concave coming out now, including the Black Label 8.5 boards, BBS shop boards (Generator sticker or not) or some smaller brands I bought on sale which have BBS wood and dimensions I am used to.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2080 on: September 06, 2023, 04:45:07 AM »
I have my first real board in 15 years of skating

This time, I didn't care about the wheelbase, and I took the standard 8.06 with 31.8 long and 14.38 wheelbase (I stopped madness and stopped to select my boards based on length/wheelbase for good recently, it took away the pleasure of skating !)

What a surprise.. and damn good board.. Perfect with my independent forged hollows, the tricks all go without problem.. The shape is perfect, not a big nose, not a big tail, and really medium concave.. I think I'll stay on real or krooked for a very long time  :D

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2081 on: September 06, 2023, 07:14:01 AM »
I would be curious to ask anyone who had more than a few boards, put them all together and compare concaves in them and see if they come up a bit more here or there, even between different stamps, etc.

I have three or four 8.25 / IV stamps (and one III stamp). I'll take a hard look/comparison of them later today and report back.

...but there seem to be a lot more BBS boards with higher concave coming out now, including the Black Label 8.5 boards...

Dude, Label boards seem to have insane kicks--like every one I've ever seen. Totally unrideable to me, which sucks, because I love the Label, and the 8.5 is a great shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2082 on: September 21, 2023, 02:57:09 PM »

Been a minute since anyone posted in here.

I have heard there are a couple more "new" shapes coming out from DLX in coming drops too, but that is a wait and see type deal for exact info.

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more?

If I had an evil "big twin" who spilled the beans, I might post more, but I won't be the Scallywag and just leave it at that.

I am on the taller side, so the Tru Fit or even the slightly shorter boards just don't do it for me, but a wider Tru Fit has been asked for as well as the current options in Tru Fit and other Real shapes.

The 8.38 Tru Fit is 8.38 x 31.75 with 14.0 wb, which seems to add up to some pretty nice dimensions for people who want a fairly normal width with a shorter wb (but not too short like the 8.5 Tru Fit board).  A few people have already posted about this shape and say it is a good one.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-style-838-true-fit-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.38
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.38
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.56

The Real Ishod comic character board in 8.25 has a 14.0 wb with 31.9 length, which is the same shape from the shorter floral / tropical series.  Not to be confused with the "Dreamer shape" which is the longer 8.38, this one is the "Dream shape" as per the current catalog.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2083 on: September 21, 2023, 09:02:09 PM »

I have heard there are a couple more "new" shapes coming out from DLX in coming drops too, but that is a wait and see type deal for exact info.

Theres a new AH shape called the scallywag that looks like a more squared off genius shape. 9" wide with a 8.3 WB.
A 10" grimple twin nose egg! with wheel wells!
An Ishod 8.75" twin tail
A tiny Real Kelly bird 7.43 egg type shape with a 14" WB. a real 1993 type board just before they became full on popsicles.
A guerreo 8.75" Full popsicle with a 14.7 WB. Not sure if thats a new shape or not.

And more wheel wells on existing shapes which is sick to see.

Still no Huffer with wheel wells though... paging DLX dudes... paging DLX dudes... Huffer with wheel wells on what aisle?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2084 on: September 22, 2023, 04:12:59 AM »

Been a minute since anyone posted in here.

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more?

If I had an evil "big twin" who spilled the beans, I might post more, but I won't be the Scallywag and just leave it at that.

I am on the taller side, so the Tru Fit or even the slightly shorter boards just don't do it for me, but a wider Tru Fit has been asked for as well as the current options in Tru Fit and other Real shapes.

The 8.38 Tru Fit is 8.38 x 31.75 with 14.0 wb, which seems to add up to some pretty nice dimensions for people who want a fairly normal width with a shorter wb (but not too short like the 8.5 Tru Fit board).  A few people have already posted about this shape and say it is a good one.

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-style-838-true-fit-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.38
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.38
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.56

The Real Ishod comic character board in 8.25 has a 14.0 wb with 31.9 length, which is the same shape from the shorter floral / tropical series.  Not to be confused with the "Dreamer shape" which is the longer 8.38, this one is the "Dream shape" as per the current catalog.

That 8.25. Ishod deck with the 14 wb seems nice. Anyone might know the tail and nose specs?
* Tactics website says, the tail is 6.75 and nose is 6.9

The true fit 8.38 also sounds nice, but I am not sure I could ride that deck with Indy 144s. It would be a bit of magic carpet, right? ~3mm wider as a 8.25 deck. Which surely doesn't sound much, but knowing it, it will fuck with me. Maybe. Maybe not.
IG: @flowterspace

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2085 on: September 22, 2023, 04:22:04 AM »

That 8.25. Ishod deck with the 14 wb seems nice. Anyone might know the tail and nose specs?

The true fit 8.38 also sounds nice, but I am not sure I could ride that deck with Indy 144s. It would be a bit of magic carpet, right? ~3mm wider as a 8.25 deck. Which surely doesn't sound much, but knowing it, it will fuck with me. Maybe. Maybe not.

The 8.25 Ishod piqued my interested as well. Skatedeluxe says the tail is 6.5 and nose 7.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-ishod-comix-8-25-skateboard-deck-blue_p165950

8.38 with 144s is doable, but there's gonna be a bit of magic carpet. It's not gonna be anything critical, though. I mean, Reynolds used to ride 8.5s with 139s back in the day. But then again, he's Reynolds.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2086 on: September 22, 2023, 06:46:03 AM »
Still waiting for them to DLX to change their 8.5 twintail shape. The kicks on that shape is neither a tail, or a nose. If they just changed it and made it an actual tail, I would probably only skate that shape.

And yes, I tried skating one like 4 years ago. Couldn’t do it. 

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2087 on: September 22, 2023, 07:08:00 AM »
I am still bewildered that DLX doesn't regularly, or irregularly, make an 8.5/14.5wb.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2088 on: September 22, 2023, 04:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 8.25 Ishod piqued my interested as well. Skatedeluxe says the tail is 6.5 and nose 7.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-ishod-comix-8-25-skateboard-deck-blue_p165950

8.38 with 144s is doable, but there's gonna be a bit of magic carpet. It's not gonna be anything critical, though. I mean, Reynolds used to ride 8.5s with 139s back in the day. But then again, he's Reynolds.

A couple of things to note, the 8.38 is usually closer to 8.5 and others have said the Tru Fit 8.38 is the same width.  I prefer 149s on mine, but others prefer 144s on theirs, so it depends on how you like your trucks / wheels to deck ratio.

Re the 8.25 Dream shape, I seem to recall someone else somewhere saying the kicks were almost the same, but not quite, so the 6.75 tail and 6.9 nose might be closer to actual dimensions than the more generic sizes of 6.5 tail and 7 nose, which is very common all round.

https://www.tactics.com/real/ishod-comix-825-dream-shape-skateboard-deck

As I haven't seen one or found where I thought I saw the other info, I guess it is more just a wait and see, but the decent res skateseluxe.com pic of the top of the board looks a lot closer to the same in length of kicks.  Pics don't quite add up to the real thing, but I do like looking at hi res pics and comparing shapes, sizes, etc.

https://cdn.skatedeluxe.com/thumb/Zv7edLfCRWlNa-SLbYQevp2gLx0=/fit-in/1500x1749/filters:fill(white):brightness(-4)/product/165950-1-Real-IshodComix825.jpg

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2089 on: September 22, 2023, 08:14:16 PM »
I am still bewildered that DLX doesn't regularly, or irregularly, make an 8.5/14.5wb.

They do, but it’s an Ishod twintail and the shape is garbage.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 81
« Reply #2090 on: September 22, 2023, 10:26:14 PM »
i forgot do they make anything popsicle that measures to over an 8.5 with a less than 14.7 wb? eye am currently riding a chandler there 9.0 bloard but want something of similar width with a smaller wb

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2091 on: September 22, 2023, 11:17:26 PM »
i forgot do they make anything popsicle that measures to over an 8.5 with a less than 14.7 wb? eye am currently riding a chandler there 9.0 bloard but want something of similar width with a smaller wb

AntiHero makes an 8.75 x 31.75 / 14.25WB. I think it's part of the Mis-Registered series. They have one in Fall '23 catalog.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2092 on: September 24, 2023, 03:43:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AntiHero makes an 8.75 x 31.75 / 14.25WB. I think it's part of the Mis-Registered series. They have one in Fall '23 catalog.

Yes I think that is the most common one, which is now on Grimple sideshow or similar name board.

There are a few more options coming as well (as per posts up this page), but depending on the wheelbase options, or overall length options, these others are good too:

Cardiel hella mold - 8.6 with 14.5 wb (can't remember exact other dimensions, but they are back in previous posts here)

Normal white eagle 8.75 with 14.62 wb, if that counts, but it doesn't feel like a board that is stupidly big and long.

I would usually find examples and post links, but I don't have time right this minute.  Sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2093 on: September 24, 2023, 05:03:20 AM »
Normally like to ride a 3-4 when I get dlx decks. Wanted to try the 8.28 real again after a few decks and blind ordered one from holistic in reading. Came to my house in MD next day which was sick but was a 2 in the  press. Excited to get a session in but we are in the middle of a storm. Hopefully Tues or weds I can get out.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2094 on: September 24, 2023, 06:55:16 AM »
Normal white eagle 8.75 with 14.62 wb, if that counts, but it doesn't feel like a board that is stupidly big and long.

The 8.75 is a really interesting deck. It is unquestionably a "big" board, but it absolutely feels way more nimble than you'd expect it to. I def skate better on my 8.25/14.38, but god damn, everything on the 8.75 just feels so damn good.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2095 on: October 12, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »
Can someone remind me what the actual width & tail on the 8.12 is (I remember it having a longer than average tail)? Thanks!

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2096 on: October 12, 2023, 07:50:38 AM »
Can someone remind me what the actual width & tail on the 8.12 is (I remember it having a longer than average tail)? Thanks!

If you are asking about 8.12 with 14.25 wb, those are pretty true to size, they will measure 8.125 width exact and nose is around 6.9 to 7 inches and tail is 6.75 inches.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2097 on: October 12, 2023, 08:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are asking about 8.12 with 14.25 wb, those are pretty true to size, they will measure 8.125 width exact and nose is around 6.9 to 7 inches and tail is 6.75 inches.

Yup, the 14.25. 6.75”. Damn. Even bigger than I remember.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2098 on: October 12, 2023, 08:36:41 AM »
It is a bit pointier too. Sci-Fi uses the same shape as their "8.25", the WB is also dead on 14.3

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2099 on: October 12, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup, the 14.25. 6.75”. Damn. Even bigger than I remember.

Yes, that longer tail is why I kept riding them for well over ten years, just because it worked so much better for me than the often shorter 6.5 tail on most other boards, like the 8.18 x 31.8 shape, which was fine when new, but once it wore down some, I would round it off to keep the board going and it just got too short for me.

Lots of those 8.18 and similar boards got passed on to others way faster than the 8.12 boards, which I could skate for way longer.

I still have my last 8.12 black eagle set up, as well as a couple of other graphics on the same shape and although they feel a bit too narrow now, they are still such good boards in terms of overall size, shape, etc.  Once 144s came out, I had it set up on them with smaller wheels, but I used to ride 139s with 57 to 59 mm Bigheads or similar shapes on those, more transition based than anything else, with those wheels sometimes getting down to below 50 mm for the more tech setups.  Still a bit of a trip standing on or skating those old boards now, compared to the 8.38, 8.5 or 8.75 boards I have as my usual go to now.

It is a bit pointier too. Sci-Fi uses the same shape as their "8.25", the WB is also dead on 14.3

I don't see much in the way of Sci Fi boards, but Passport, Polar and a few other brands have also had that 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb that I used to have and they looked the same when I compared them to my stack of new unused black eagles.