Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233433 times)

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2160 on: November 07, 2023, 07:42:07 PM »
Just curious for the 8.38 crowd....ya'll rocking 8.25s or 8.5s on that thing?

Have a Krooked dreamer set up right now.  Running 5.8s on it.  I find the 8.5 inch trucks pair with this board perfectly. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2161 on: November 07, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have a Krooked dreamer set up right now.  Running 5.8s on it.  I find the 8.5 inch trucks pair with this board perfectly.

that setup seems like the best ollie zone.

Thebird

« Reply #2162 on: November 07, 2023, 08:29:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Absolutely.  This setup is great for big ollies.  And actually, this is the best setup I have ever had for backside 180s too.  It feels like they just float if that makes sense.  Current one is stamped IV, but it is definitely more mellow than other IV DLX decks I have had.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2163 on: November 07, 2023, 10:38:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Absolutely.  This setup is great for big ollies.  And actually, this is the best setup I have ever had for backside 180s too.  It feels like they just float if that makes sense.  Current one is stamped IV, but it is definitely more mellow than other IV DLX decks I have had.

jealous.
does it seem like only ‘cool’ accounts get the 4s? when i check these small bike shops that sell boards off in the corner (i don’t consider them my ‘local’, there are two of these ‘shops’ close to me, with the ‘local’ being 2+ hours away), they always have 1s, and 2s. never 4s

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #2164 on: November 07, 2023, 11:39:35 PM »
Just got an AH 8.12 Kanfoush yesterday with a II stamp, and the concave is pretty much perfect for my taste. Made in Mexico.

Thebird

« Reply #2165 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
Anyone know the nose and tail length on the 8.38 full se?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2166 on: November 08, 2023, 07:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

jealous.
does it seem like only ‘cool’ accounts get the 4s? when i check these small bike shops that sell boards off in the corner (i don’t consider them my ‘local’, there are two of these ‘shops’ close to me, with the ‘local’ being 2+ hours away), they always have 1s, and 2s. never 4s
I really don’t get the I and II hate… I love that shit. Gimme all your I’s and II’s.

I skated a IV once and it felt conVEX. I couldn’t feel the tail at all and it was scary trying to hit coping.

*I wonder if because III and IV are more popular that the real skate shops request them from DLX? And the shops that don’t care get the “leftovers” I and II? Maybe?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:14:21 AM by JM »
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2167 on: November 08, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »

They don't have a direct link, but the page is still there with all these measurements, including the Full, as well as Full SE shapes:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

Might be easier to just save the file pic and open it elsewhere to see those dimensions, as well as look at the shape in more detail, but the 8.38 Full SE is shown to be 8.38 x 32.18 with 14.38 wb, 7.03 nose, 6.53 tail.  I have had a few of them and they skate well, but I am happier on a longer wheelbase, so I passed those I had on to others.

https://www.realskateboards.com/realsb/assets/img/construction-layout-fullse-decks.jpg

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2168 on: November 08, 2023, 07:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

jealous.
[close]
I really don’t get the I and II hate… I love that shit. Gimme all your I’s and II’s.

I skated a IV once and it felt conVEX. I couldn’t feel the tail at all and it was scary trying to hit coping.

*I wonder if because III and IV are more popular that the real skate shops request them from DLX? And the shops that don’t care get the “leftovers” I and II? Maybe?

I really feel like it is just the luck of the draw there, as I have seen a lot of all numbers in my travels, so although I had requested IV only from some shops, after covid closed everything, I was still sent quite a few of every stamp, especially during all the clearance sales where I picked up a lot of boards from a number of different shops for quite cheap compared to the rising RRP that has been going on in the last year.

What I did find was that some of the I were more mellow than the other IV stamps, or there were weird differences in concave I just hadn't really seen so much in other sizes of boards, so I do feel like the 8.38 shape had a lot more going on than some others, eg a regular mold and a mellow mold, although it seemed like they were mixed up a bit.

Long story short, I have learned more to look at and stand on any of the boards, more so than just go with the IV stamps so for anyone, regardless of which number stamp you prefer, if there is more than one of any size you like, have a stand on them or at least put them back to back and see if there are differences in the concave and then buy which ever board / stock you prefer the concave and feel of, which is more what I have gotten used to doing.

The difference is now, I can get quite a few boards, keep the ones I want to ride and then put the rest in the shop, but not everyone has options like that and I understand if there is only a very small selection, then it makes things more difficult for anyone to get what they prefer in terms of concave and kicks.

Thebird

« Reply #2169 on: November 08, 2023, 08:20:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They don't have a direct link, but the page is still there with all these measurements, including the Full, as well as Full SE shapes:

Might be easier to just save the file pic and open it elsewhere to see those dimensions, as well as look at the shape in more detail, but the 8.38 Full SE is shown to be 8.38 x 32.18 with 14.38 wb, 7.03 nose, 6.53 tail.  I have had a few of them and they skate well, but I am happier on a longer wheelbase, so I passed those I had on to others.

https://www.realskateboards.com/realsb/assets/img/construction-layout-fullse-decks.jpg

Yes.  That is what I wanted to see.  Thanks!

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2170 on: November 08, 2023, 09:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

jealous.
[close]

[close]

I really feel like it is just the luck of the draw there, as I have seen a lot of all numbers in my travels, so although I had requested IV only from some shops, after covid closed everything, I was still sent quite a few of every stamp, especially during all the clearance sales where I picked up a lot of boards from a number of different shops for quite cheap compared to the rising RRP that has been going on in the last year.

What I did find was that some of the I were more mellow than the other IV stamps, or there were weird differences in concave I just hadn't really seen so much in other sizes of boards, so I do feel like the 8.38 shape had a lot more going on than some others, eg a regular mold and a mellow mold, although it seemed like they were mixed up a bit.

Long story short, I have learned more to look at and stand on any of the boards, more so than just go with the IV stamps so for anyone, regardless of which number stamp you prefer, if there is more than one of any size you like, have a stand on them or at least put them back to back and see if there are differences in the concave and then buy which ever board / stock you prefer the concave and feel of, which is more what I have gotten used to doing.

The difference is now, I can get quite a few boards, keep the ones I want to ride and then put the rest in the shop, but not everyone has options like that and I understand if there is only a very small selection, then it makes things more difficult for anyone to get what they prefer in terms of concave and kicks.
Rad , thanks

The (IV) eagle 8.38 I got two years ago was hella flat. Must have been one of those mellow concave deals.

I use the level on my phone and zero it out only to compare my current deck with whatever new one I’m eyeing. The (II) I just got is one degree steeper (maybe 2 mm separation) than the (I) skated for a few months now. It’s possible the wood mellowed out with skating and the hot weather.

I freaking love DLX stamps the mold order: let’s people geek out and get deep. lol. Fun stuff.

PeteP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2171 on: November 08, 2023, 01:17:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried both - 5.6 forged on 8.38 full se, then 8.38 dreamer and now 5.8 forged on 8.38 (actually closer to 8.5) but dunno if it’s 14.38 or 14.5 wb and I dig this setup. Was on the fence between forged vs lights when switching to 5.8s but decided to not fix it if it’s not broken and they are perfect. 5.8s get my vote since dlx 8.38 are more like 8.45 from my experience.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2172 on: November 08, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »
8.25/14.38 is my main jam. IV stamp. I keep a small stock pile of them, because they can be hard to come by. My stock pile was getting low. Today I hit two local Core Shops, and five different Zumies. Must have seen 15 or so different 8.25s (all eagle or black oval). All were either I or II stamped. One eagle was a no stamp, and clearly not the standard 8.25 shape (at a Zumies). Not a single III or IV to been seen. Considering how many decks I saw, I thought that rather odd.

This is why I keep a small stock pile.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 09:09:09 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2173 on: November 08, 2023, 02:19:48 PM »
8.25/14.38 is my main jam. IV stamp. I keep a small stock pile of them, because they can be hard to come by. My stock pile was getting low. Today I hit two local
Core Shops, and five different Zumies. Must have seen 15 or or different 8.25s (all eagle or black oval). All were either I or II stamped. One eagle was a no stamp, and clearly not the standard 8.25 shape (at a Zumies). Not a single III or IV to been seen. Considering how many decks I saw, I thought that rather odd.

This is why I keep a small stock pile.

i haven’t seen a 4 in a long minute. not sure if all get snatched up or what.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2174 on: November 09, 2023, 09:33:58 AM »
That’s not an overseas deck. You can tell by the “made in Mexico” part of the sticker. :)

Totally missed that (was more hyper-focused on the stack stamp lol)
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 981
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2175 on: November 09, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

jealous.
I've had a few friends that worked in the DLX warehouse. Based off of knowing them I'd say they wouldn't care enough to notice which stamped boards go where with the volume of orders they do. It's blind luck
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2176 on: November 09, 2023, 09:04:11 PM »

Anyone still keen on the 8.75 FULL shape???

Real Drop 2 for Fall is up with one there.

8.75 x 32.86 with a 14.7 wb, 7.2 nose and 6.62 tail

https://www.realskateboards.com/fall-2023/

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2177 on: November 11, 2023, 06:52:28 PM »

The full shapes bug me so much… I love the nice beautiful shapes of the R1’s (or whatever the standard cut is called).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2178 on: November 11, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The full shapes bug me so much… I love the nice beautiful shapes of the R1’s (or whatever the standard cut is called).

At least you know you are not the only one there.

Some people really like the wider, more full or even stubby shaped kicks, while others prefer a more normal or even pointy shape to their kicks on boards.  The good thing though is that there are different shapes still available, so for someone who wants a bigger and longer board, the Full shape works well, then the Full SE being the shorter versions that became a lot more popular and are still around, then the True Fit for the really short board enthusiasts and of course all the usual / normal shapes still that make up the majority of the range in every single drop.

Also (not being a smarty pants but) the R1 is the concave, more so than the shape, so Full shapes are still on R1 concave, as well as their usual shapes.

I had to smile at the marketing blurb from the website (below) but the little card in each board says it well enough:

Real R1 construction, the original, not too steep, not too mellow, guaranteed to last.

Guaranteed to last R1 Construction decks are made using an exclusive technique producing stronger, longer lasting, better performing skateboard decks. True universal press molds use equal pressure across the entire surface of each deck ensuring a centered, consistently even, lasting concave. Two X-Bands make each deck stiff and strong, but also allows just enough flex for maximum pop and response.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2179 on: November 12, 2023, 07:13:48 AM »
8.25 Full SE’s and Mandersons are all I need.

8.5 blue eagle also nice. Fuck 14.5+ and sub 14” wheelbases.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2180 on: November 12, 2023, 01:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

At least you know you are not the only one there.

Some people really like the wider, more full or even stubby shaped kicks, while others prefer a more normal or even pointy shape to their kicks on boards.  The good thing though is that there are different shapes still available, so for someone who wants a bigger and longer board, the Full shape works well, then the Full SE being the shorter versions that became a lot more popular and are still around, then the True Fit for the really short board enthusiasts and of course all the usual / normal shapes still that make up the majority of the range in every single drop.

Also (not being a smarty pants but) the R1 is the concave, more so than the shape, so Full shapes are still on R1 concave, as well as their usual shapes.

I had to smile at the marketing blurb from the website (below) but the little card in each board says it well enough:

Real R1 construction, the original, not too steep, not too mellow, guaranteed to last.

Guaranteed to last R1 Construction decks are made using an exclusive technique producing stronger, longer lasting, better performing skateboard decks. True universal press molds use equal pressure across the entire surface of each deck ensuring a centered, consistently even, lasting concave. Two X-Bands make each deck stiff and strong, but also allows just enough flex for maximum pop and response.

Yeaaaahhh figured as much. 🤓 I knew it didn’t sound right but I didn’t know what else to call their normal shape. 

So what do they call the normal shape? We got true fit (which is the shorter board with shorter wheelbase), Full (big ol’ shovel nose and tail) Full SE (shovel nose and tail with the shorter wheelbase), SE (shorter wheelbase) Mellow Mold (for you 2x4 lovers out there)

Might as well call the regular shape R1! Or “normal skateboard shape for people who like looking at what a proper skateboard should look like”.  ;D

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2181 on: November 13, 2023, 03:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeaaaahhh figured as much. 🤓 I knew it didn’t sound right but I didn’t know what else to call their normal shape. 

So what do they call the normal shape? We got true fit (which is the shorter board with shorter wheelbase), Full (big ol’ shovel nose and tail) Full SE (shovel nose and tail with the shorter wheelbase), SE (shorter wheelbase) Mellow Mold (for you 2x4 lovers out there)

Might as well call the regular shape R1! Or “normal skateboard shape for people who like looking at what a proper skateboard should look like”.  ;D

Ha for sure!!!

But I think the normal shapes are so normal there are no names for them, as such.

A few of the specific shapes seem to have names, like "Dreamer" for the 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, but the others don't really get a name, it is just the DLX 8.25 or 8.12 or 8.06 more than anything.  The 8.5 has a few options, which could very much benefit from names to help identify them, but really the short 8.5, the medium 8.5 or the long 8.5 is how I knew them, but with all these new shape options, that sort of goes out the window.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2182 on: November 13, 2023, 05:29:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha for sure!!!

But I think the normal shapes are so normal there are no names for them, as such.

A few of the specific shapes seem to have names, like "Dreamer" for the 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, but the others don't really get a name, it is just the DLX 8.25 or 8.12 or 8.06 more than anything.  The 8.5 has a few options, which could very much benefit from names to help identify them, but really the short 8.5, the medium 8.5 or the long 8.5 is how I knew them, but with all these new shape options, that sort of goes out the window.
They are getting quite eclectic with these shape options.
Guess the shorter wheelbases are really taking off.

What are the chances Real will make single kicks?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2183 on: November 13, 2023, 02:38:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha for sure!!!

[close]

DLX will bring out different boards from time to time, the Krooked Beamers being the main one in a single kick variety, but I seem to recall an AH or two over the years, a tribute board to someone here or a special edition there.  I had thought the Raney Big Bord was like that, but when looking up pics, they all seem to be just bigger normal concave boards.

I think there are plenty of other "reissues" and similar shapes out there that cover the whole 80s / single kick market, so that side of things is covered well enough, but who knows really.

I guess with some brands, that is their thing, to do single kick reissues or living off their past, but Real started in 1991 and things were already moving forward at a great pace, away from those older and less functional boards, so apart from a few "fun" options I don't think they really would be doing too much in that category.

To say any time I have had a go on one of the reissues or similar old type boards, they are good for a bit, but modern concave and shapes, even short noses on some boards, really make things so much more enjoyable for me anyway, most recently the Beach Bummer board, which still skates like a normal board, or can be used purely as a cruiser, but it just feels right to stand on, more so than any PP or SC or other brand board straight out of the 80s.  Then there is the Krooked Ray shape, 80s fish sort of thing, but others like the Gonz sweatpants shape is a good all rounder too.

Everyone can choose what they want to skate, but in terms of size, shape or anything else, what were you thinking, as in a size or shape you would like to ride?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2184 on: November 13, 2023, 03:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeaaaahhh figured as much.  I knew it didn’t sound right but I didn’t know what else to call their normal shape. 

[close]

Ha for sure!!!

[close]

[close]

DLX will bring out different boards from time to time, the Krooked Beamers being the main one in a single kick variety, but I seem to recall an AH or two over the years, a tribute board to someone here or a special edition there.  I had thought the Raney Big Bord was like that, but when looking up pics, they all seem to be just bigger normal concave boards.

I think there are plenty of other "reissues" and similar shapes out there that cover the whole 80s / single kick market, so that side of things is covered well enough, but who knows really.

I guess with some brands, that is their thing, to do single kick reissues or living off their past, but Real started in 1991 and things were already moving forward at a great pace, away from those older and less functional boards, so apart from a few "fun" options I don't think they really would be doing too much in that category.

To say any time I have had a go on one of the reissues or similar old type boards, they are good for a bit, but modern concave and shapes, even short noses on some boards, really make things so much more enjoyable for me anyway, most recently the Beach Bummer board, which still skates like a normal board, or can be used purely as a cruiser, but it just feels right to stand on, more so than any PP or SC or other brand board straight out of the 80s.  Then there is the Krooked Ray shape, 80s fish sort of thing, but others like the Gonz sweatpants shape is a good all rounder too.

Everyone can choose what they want to skate, but in terms of size, shape or anything else, what were you thinking, as in a size or shape you would like to ride?

Hell yeah, keep it going.

I started skating in about ‘90 on a single kick variflex Tiger board from Brendles (or Rose’s). Then the plastic wheel cracked in half from being slammed so much into a curb from me trying to Ollie up the curb. No skateshops in my little town in the south, and parents weren’t really interested in getting me another skateboard since I broke the one they got me.

Fast forward to 1996 in 8th grade when I got a proper complete (ATM CLICK brown with yellow circle, no name wheels and bearing, and Gullwing trucks). Kicked it around trying flips whatever and learned to Ollie with back wheels in a crack (dumb, because then I had to RE learn Ollie’s while moving since the timing was all different).

Nobody skated except the one day some neighborhood kids were visiting, so I lost interest and did other stuff.

Then in 98 met a skater in Junior year of high school and for whatever reason I got excited that he skated, and I knew how to Ollie a little. So it just went from there and I was skating all the damn time.

So all that being said: the shapes from late 90’s onwards are what “proper” skateboards are, and the real “dreamer” shape is about damn near perfect. (*to me ;D )

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2185 on: November 14, 2023, 10:00:10 AM »
New AH shape out. The Scallywag.

9.3 x 14.3 WB. Squared off nose and tail. Wheel wells. Pretty sick Greensleeves Records collaboration.

Yeah, I have a Genius set up as a cruiser. Got the new one with wheel wells also as I like it so much.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 05:35:25 PM by Frank and Fred »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2186 on: November 14, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
New AH shape out. The Scallywag.

9.3 x 14.3 WB. Squared off nose and tail. Wheel wells. Pretty sick Greensleeves Records collaboration.

I like the look of that one, just enough in the width for Indy 169s with big wheels, but not too long a wheelbase and good sized kicks.

Seems like a few more new shapes coming as well, which is pretty cool to see.  Creative juices flowing over there for sure.

Do I recall you saying you got a Genius shape too, or was that someone else?

Someone was asking me about it the other day and I had no other info on it / hadn't seen any in person.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2187 on: November 14, 2023, 03:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeaaaahhh figured as much.  I knew it didn’t sound right but I didn’t know what else to call their normal shape. 

[close]

Ha for sure!!!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hell yeah, keep it going.

I started skating in about ‘90 on a single kick variflex Tiger board from Brendles (or Rose’s). Then the plastic wheel cracked in half from being slammed so much into a curb from me trying to Ollie up the curb. No skateshops in my little town in the south, and parents weren’t really interested in getting me another skateboard since I broke the one they got me.

Fast forward to 1996 in 8th grade when I got a proper complete (ATM CLICK brown with yellow circle, no name wheels and bearing, and Gullwing trucks). Kicked it around trying flips whatever and learned to Ollie with back wheels in a crack (dumb, because then I had to RE learn Ollie’s while moving since the timing was all different).

Nobody skated except the one day some neighborhood kids were visiting, so I lost interest and did other stuff.

Then in 98 met a skater in Junior year of high school and for whatever reason I got excited that he skated, and I knew how to Ollie a little. So it just went from there and I was skating all the damn time.

So all that being said: the shapes from late 90’s onwards are what “proper” skateboards are, and the real “dreamer” shape is about damn near perfect. (*to me ;D )

what’s the gonz timeline:

vision
blind
60/40
atm click
krooked

wrong?

mdspb

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2188 on: November 14, 2023, 04:21:50 PM »
Alva before Vision
Real before Krooked
JAH SK8 SPB

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2189 on: November 14, 2023, 04:32:10 PM »
Alva before Vision
Real before Krooked

i am concerned.
i feel like this is a sign of early onset (alva i would have to look up, but his part in real to reel is an alltimer).