Author Topic: Chris Joslin surgery?  (Read 10589 times)

Bliz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
Chris Joslin surgery?
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
Is this kid every going to get fixed up?  All everyone ever talks about with him is his ACL (and I think now both of them are done), and if he doesn't get treated anytime soon, how much damage is his body looking at?

thecooldude498

• Rep: -34
Re: Chris Joslin surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
wow those tits

doesn't it probably hurt to have them bounce up and down like that

i mean isnt the skin gonna be stretching a lot

seems kinda painful

Dengles

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
Didn't he just skate the Street League event Yesterday?

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
he should just do the Mat Hoffman surgery
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:04:27 PM »
If it's just a pure ACL surgery, the recovery time can be fairly quick (in the grand scheme of things).  I thought he said was getting the surgery after the Plan B video came out? If he got surgery a little bit before it was released depending on the extent of the surgery and injury, he could be back to full ability already. I don't know for sure but if only his ligament was screwed up, it doesn't make sense to not do surgery because he's still growing. I always thought that was if they were messing with the growth plate.  When I got my ACL surgery, I had a unique break along with a few tears and they still fixed it.

yungtaco

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Completely un-related and it may have already been brought up on here before because I don't really lurk the forums hard enough, but I herd from a reliable source the other day that the 2 tricks he did down wallenburg was a inward heel and ghettobird, might be wrong here too but has anyone even hardflipped it yet? I cant recall seeing it

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
Completely un-related and it may have already been brought up on here before because I don't really lurk the forums hard enough, but I herd from a reliable source the other day that the 2 tricks he did down wallenburg was a inward heel and ghettobird, might be wrong here too but has anyone even hardflipped it yet? I cant recall seeing it
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=85030.0
If it's his ACL, it could take him something like 8 months to recover. I only know this because my friend tore his ACL in June last year, and he just got cleared to be active in like April.
But after the surgery, your knee actually becomes stronger so it would be a smart move for Chris to get the surgery and just wade out his recovery time rather than suck up the pain and risking fucking his body over in the long run.
Shit could be worse

@thewilleasley

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=85030.0
If it's his ACL, it could take him something like 8 months to recover. I only know this because my friend tore his ACL in June last year, and he just got cleared to be active in like April.
But after the surgery, your knee actually becomes stronger so it would be a smart move for Chris to get the surgery and just wade out his recovery time rather than suck up the pain and risking fucking his body over in the long run.

^ thats what I be saying. He's still young as hell so he'd definitely recover well enough after rehab. But after following him on insta, and seeing how often he skates, you can tell he'd probably go insane sitting out for so long. That knee does affect his style tho, i used to land the same way with my back bending on impact when my knees were bothering me. its a compensation thing. hopefully he gets all that shit taken care of on his own before he gets seriously injured and is forced to anyway. his talent level is unreal, i still wanna see him skating 10 years from now

Bliz

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

^ thats what I be saying. He's still young as hell so he'd definitely recover well enough after rehab. But after following him on insta, and seeing how often he skates, you can tell he'd probably go insane sitting out for so long. That knee does affect his style tho, i used to land the same way with my back bending on impact when my knees were bothering me. its a compensation thing. hopefully he gets all that shit taken care of on his own before he gets seriously injured and is forced to anyway. his talent level is unreal, i still wanna see him skating 10 years from now

My point exactly.  His talent level is ridiculous, and during Street League this weekend Geoff was talking about how he needs surgery for both his knees.  I don't understand how he's able to keep going as he is right now, and I just hope he gets worked on soon so that he can continue to skate. 

I remember his old Ground Control videos and how he used to land normally, and the new "going to sleep" style is new, and I've always wondered why that happened until you mentioned that and I remembered that our bodies will always find a way to counteract whatever is wrong.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have to disagree.  I've had my acl torn before and jumping down things had never been the same.  It's extremely rare for someone jumping on the Joslin level to return to that type of skating.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I have never met anyone who claims to have a stronger acl after surgery.  So I say fuck the surgery, it's not like he is doing his body any different considering the size of the gaps he skates, and I reckon that he has learned how to fall with a fucked up knee, so.... Lastly, his caterer will last for maybe ten or so years on his level, might as well make the biggest splash he can!

OldmanEpic

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
If he doesnt get this fixed hell be out sooner rather than later.

Your gonna get to see a clip of him exploding both knees.

straight

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
He has bs 360 down the bull. I heard were gonna see a part in the fall that will blow minds

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have to disagree.  I've had my acl torn before and jumping down things had never been the same.  It's extremely rare for someone jumping on the Joslin level to return to that type of skating.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I have never met anyone who claims to have a stronger acl after surgery.  So I say fuck the surgery, it's not like he is doing his body any different considering the size of the gaps he skates, and I reckon that he has learned how to fall with a fucked up knee, so.... Lastly, his caterer will last for maybe ten or so years on his level, might as well make the biggest splash he can!

this. i had my acl done 3 years back. i was big into rails and jumping down shit and ever since the surgery i just cannot do that type of thing anymore. i've skated little park rails and smaller things, but the heavy stuff is just too much on me. my knee gets weak even just skating low impact stuff after a few hours. this kid is looking at a short lived career if he doesn't fix it up quick because with a torn acl, you run the risk of messing up the other ligaments and meniscus along the sides without the strength of the acl to back them up. either way though, he is on another level if he can do what he's been doing and nothing bad has happened yet.
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
i had left knee completley rebuilt and it mentally fucked me up..it was a brutal recovery. I don't wish it upon anyone. now I have tendinitis really bad.
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Maybe it's because Joslin is young, and so is my friend. My friend is right next to me as I'm writing this and I just told him to do some jumps. My friend is 16 so his body is young and more resilient. That being said, so is Joslin.
I think that the better choice is for Joslin to get the surgery.
Shit could be worse

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Maybe you're right and great for your friend but I was 18 when I had my surgery, been skating ever since but it's in no way stronger than before.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
After three years of intense knee pain post-ACL/MCL surgery I've come to the conclusion that I love skateboarding more than I love my knees.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1602
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
Spotted heading towards Vancanyon today....

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
After three years of intense knee pain post-ACL/MCL surgery I've come to the conclusion that I love skateboarding more than I love my knees.

Yeah I just came to realize that recently too. After having my recently clean up surgery I was told I shouldn't run or jump anymore if I want to risk needing a total knee replacement when I'm older, I decided being able to skate while I'm still able to is worth the risk.

But it's totally possible for Joslin to have a good comeback after surgery, I think the worst part is being able to handle it mentally. He just needs to make sure to have an excellent surgeon and handle physical therapy seriously then I think the odds are in his favor. There is just that huge risk and so many people who couldn't comeback I can see why he'd rather hold out. My ACL has held up really good since my initial injury, it's my meniscus that's been the big issue.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

summertimebluesdaddy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 12:42:23 AM »
there's a live webcast of his surgery next monday hosted by jeff grosso and sal masakela.
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

ZEBRA

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I just came to realize that recently too. After having my recently clean up surgery I was told I shouldn't run or jump anymore if I want to risk needing a total knee replacement when I'm older, I decided being able to skate while I'm still able to is worth the risk.

But it's totally possible for Joslin to have a good comeback after surgery, I think the worst part is being able to handle it mentally. He just needs to make sure to have an excellent surgeon and handle physical therapy seriously then I think the odds are in his favor. There is just that huge risk and so many people who couldn't comeback I can see why he'd rather hold out. My ACL has held up really good since my initial injury, it's my meniscus that's been the big issue.

I was told the samething by my doctor. Worth the risk for me, too. I guarantee I'll have to have my knee replaced when I'm older.

Meniscus is my big issue, too. I was good for a year after my surgery and since last July it's given me the worst time. I recently started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements. I haven't felt this good since before my knee started acting up and I was 20 pounds lighter!!! Look into it. Relatively cheap and I noticed a difference within the first week.

As for Joslin, once you get your ACL repaired, its never the same and it'll never be as strong as it once was, unfortunately. If you don't get your ACL repaired, you run the risk of damaging your meniscus. And that's what you really need. It's the padding between your bones. And it doesn't heal back after damaging it. The only thing doctors can do, is go in and cut out the damaged part. There is meniscus transplants, but it can take over a year to fully heal. And I'm not sure how that would even work. Like, a waiting list or what?? Would they even do it knowing he runs the risk of ruining it again because of his profession?? I gotta imagine it costs a shit ton, too.

OldmanEpic

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 04:57:44 AM »
Glucosamine and chondroitin is a good idea, but you wont notice fuck all in a week. Unless your taking a bunch of MSM as well.

Also take some fucki. Fish oil everday 180mg epa and 120mg dha, 8 -10 grams per day in divided doses.

If you have an injury stay away from alcohol. Nothing seems to heal proper if you pile out and drink

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »
I have had a toarn MCL for 11 years, its really hard to get surgery in Canada, you have to lie about the pain, or tell them you are a professional athelte, things I didn't do, and I rpobably stil wouldn't do. I hear about younger guys getting knee surgery nowadays for way less signifigant injuries than mine, they just tell the doctors they can't work, or the pain is unbarable.
That said, skating after you fuck up your knees is never the same, my skill is stil there, but my commitment and confidence have never been the same.
GLORY DAYS plays in my head.
Years later, I am actually happy I fucked up my knee, it really helped me put my life into perspective and respect my body and not take skateboarding for granted.

token old guy post.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 08:57:59 AM »

Mazzer

• Rep: -20
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
I think he was misdiagnosed or something. I keep hearing about this torn ACL, possibly both, but I think it's either healed or was never as bad as the doctor gue$$ed it was.  The insanity of his footage leads to no other logical conclusion.

ZEBRA

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
I think he was misdiagnosed or something. I keep hearing about this torn ACL, possibly both, but I think it's either healed or was never as bad as the doctor gue$$ed it was.  The insanity of his footage leads to no other logical conclusion.

ACL's don't just heal. They have to be surgically repaired. But, if you take care of your knees and build the muscles up, you can get away with not having surgery. Some people tear their ACL and never have surgery. I knew a guy in high school that tore his ACL playing soccer and never got it taken care of. He kept playing soccer and he was fine. There's a player in the NBA who doesn't have ACL's in either knee named Dejuan Blair. He's had surgery multiple times but the cadaver ligaments just never took. He's still playing ball. And the wear and tear on your knees playing basketball is comparable, but in my opinion worse than skateboarding.

I personally have a torn ACL in my right knee. Did it almost 8 years ago. I've hurt it numerous times, but thankfully haven't torn meniscus enough for it to cause chronic pain and warrant surgery. That was the only reason I got surgery on my right knee, is cause I tore meniscus and I couldn't skate.

All the crazy shit this guy has filmed tells me he doesn't have any torn ligaments, but like the examples I told above, you never know.

ZEBRA

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
Glucosamine and chondroitin is a good idea, but you wont notice fuck all in a week. Unless your taking a bunch of MSM as well.

Also take some fucki. Fish oil everday 180mg epa and 120mg dha, 8 -10 grams per day in divided doses.

If you have an injury stay away from alcohol. Nothing seems to heal proper if you pile out and drink

All people react to supplements, drugs, etc. differently. I noticed a difference within 4 days. Night and day difference.  I have no reason to make that shit up. Some people it may take weeks or months to notice. I'm fortunate enough for it to start working quickly.

Fish oil is a good thing, too. I've heard that really helps also.

Eating right and not eating processed foods help. Lots of veggies and stuff. There's people out there that are nearly vegan and on raw diets because it makes them feel that much better. Food is fuel for your body. If you put in good stuff, you get results. If you eat cheeseburgers and pizza everyday, you'll feel like shit and weigh 50 lbs. heavier in a few months, probably. Haha

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
Is he getting the Bruce Jenner surgery?

Bliz

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »
Is he getting the Bruce Jenner surgery?

Oh no, he needs those to keep jumping haha

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 10:51:54 PM »
I skated heavily on a torn ACL and meniscus for 10 years (mainly because I didn't have insurance). I did a bunch of knee strengthening exercises often, which allowed me to film a few parts and it didn't give me much trouble until I hurt it outside of skating one day. I had insurance finally at that point and got my knee operated on. Because of waiting so long I developed advanced arthritis in my knee, but I still skate on a weekly basis.