Author Topic: I can get married  (Read 4977 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
Re: I can get married
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
Happy for you guys! Still a long way to go for gay rights, unfortunately - I think I read that it's still legal in twenty-nine states for a company to fire you if you're gay, which is terrible.

Cried at work. Tears of joy. Life is good today, very good. I finally feel validated.

Also, fuck Antonin Scalia.

I found this funny - an anagram for his name is "I Sanction Anal."

abudabi

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
I think I read that it's still legal in twenty-nine states for a company to fire you if you're gay, which is terrible.
whoa. this seems way more important than gay marriage to me. i hope that's wrong.

on a positive note, i saw on the news that a NY government official helped perform a gay marriage where the stonewall riots happened. pretty cool.

Tufty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »
 I am happy for you. I hope more countries follow the US on that.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
On a related note, I'm seeing a bunch of Christians not complain about the decision, but about how they feel like they're getting blamed for anti-gay sentiment. It's pretty fucking annoying actually. Everyone knows that a great deal of Christians are for gay rights, but I find a lot of people complaining like the groups involved in impeding social progress aren't Christians. It's like what do you expect gay rights advocates to call the people in the definitively Christian groups that have done so much to stop gay rights? I mean the common denominator of those groups besides their hate was unification under their faith. I see the typical bullshit like, "Why are they targeting Christians?" or, "Those people aren't really Christians because Christianity means love". Well, number one bitch, Christianity is the largest and most socially powerful demographic in the country and it's Christian groups that have fought against them tooth and nail. Other faith's stances on the issue are inconsequential on the national level as they are small and relatively powerless. Number two, saying another group of Christians aren't Christian because they pick and chose different parts of their book to believe in than the ones you cherry picked to believe in is a well known logical fallacy. Someone actually told me that Christianity means love. As far as I know the loosest definition of Christianity is belief in the divinity of Jesus. It's not that I don't sympathize with their belief system being villainized, but god damn, the slightest dig towards Christianity no matter how fair sends believers into a frenzy talking about how they're being persecuted. It's like white men crying about losing their country when someone points out they have social advantage.
I'm done.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

nice_guy_2

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
 8)

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
Could Gay people not have civil partnerships in the US before this? Always thought it was pretty much the same thing in all but name and ceremony.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »
Could Gay people not have civil partnerships in the US before this? Always thought it was pretty much the same thing in all but name and ceremony.

Not in all states

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not in all states

Wow. That's crazy.  How out of date. Let me guess, Texas?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 11:12:28 PM »
Can you have butt sex in all states yet?  Too progressive?

Dengles

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
About goddamn time we let religious whack jobs control too much in this country. 

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »
Gays are the same as any other group- Some are cool, some are assholes, but most are right in the middle.  I'm stoked they can do their thing now. 

My coolest gay story is that my boss from my first job after college was gay and worth a couple million.  He had previously been married to a woman and decided it wasn't for him.  Him and his partner met up with an equally successful lesbian couple.  They couldn't adopt at the time, so the dude just boned one of the lesbians and they got a kid out of it.  They treat the young lady super well and share custody. 

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I think I read that it's still legal in twenty-nine states for a company to fire you if you're gay, which is terrible.
[close]
whoa. this seems way more important than gay marriage to me. i hope that's wrong.

It's not, unfortunately: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/fired-for-being-gay_n_6076492.html

abudabi

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
jesus christo. america continues to blow it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3388
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
Yeah, there's certainly still a fight to be fought, but I feel like this was such a major decision giving us a lot of rights that our hetero brothers and sisters have had forever. Like it makes gay haters more fringe than ever.

Just like racial minorities continue to face bigotry, so will queer folk. But still...this was a major deal.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
Vegas is probably making mad bank here, since most homosexuals don't have supportive families for a nice wedding. Can gays alope too or is it up to the priest?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »
About goddamn time we let religious whack jobs control too much in this country. 
You're right. It is about time we let them do that.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
I can tell you from experience.....nothing major really changes until a more important country legalizes it.....thennnn people change their Facebook page photos.....

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
So I was listening to NPR, as I am wont to do, and of course they started talking about the marriage equality SCOTUS decision. They had a guy on there talking about how he wanted people to see and understand both sides of the debate, as people on NPR are wont to do. The thing is, not everything should be framed in a matter as if both sides have equal claim to what is right. This is a problem in all media and has served to move discourse in a regressive direction, but I want to talk about marriage equality in particular. In this radio segment there was a lot of talk about the supreme court over stepping its office, as SCOTUS is wont to do, but I found it strange on this occasion. This is far from the first time the supreme court has made a decision on a civil rights issue. The pundit talking about how we should understand both sides wanted those for gay marriage to understand that those against it see it as an infringement on their religious rights. The thing is, we already understand how they feel, but how they feel is fucking irrelevant. One of the basic tenets of our government is separation of church and state. One of the root problems here is that these people seem to be under the false assumption that marriage is something that exists only in their religion. This is something that is patently false. The non-religious, people of other religions, and people who interpret the same damn religion differently, get married all the time and have since the beginning of civilization. Their line of reasoning crumbles under this fact. So to all these county clerks that refuse to give out marriage licenses due to their religious beliefs, either give the licenses to everyone, or quit your fucking job. Religious rights don't give you the right to deny others their's. You are a civil servant that needs to serve everyone's civil rights. Your personal religion has nothing to do with public rights. If you hold your faith so above your job's duty, the only course of action is to quit your job. I know of one clerk in Mississippi that has done this, and I have to salute that woman. She didn't hold anyone's rights hostage because of her religion, she just left when public duty didn't align with her personal faith. Good fucking job. Your beliefs are stupid, but you did the best thing you could do while remaining true to them and the rule of law.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 07:48:58 AM »
Well put

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 09:11:45 AM »
For Your Health

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »
I want multiple wives. Where's my support system??

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
Yeah, there's certainly still a fight to be fought
Can we change your name to "The Fierce Mustachio"?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
Utah, or British Columbia

Greg Road

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2015, 11:35:40 PM »
I still think the passing of gay marriage was just a smoke screen for something else they passed that no one would notice. Usually how this goes.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3388
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
I still think the passing of gay marriage was just a smoke screen for something else they passed that no one would notice. Usually how this goes.

I'm guessing it's so they can round up all the Rush Limbaugh listeners and jail them at Wal-Mart.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Utah, or British Columbia

The entire Middle East no?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
Nothing was passed.

shark tits

straight

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
For the loser now will be later to win

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary