Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 48424 times)

dallou

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    • Music avatar image
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
just twisted my right hand thumb falling. One month without skating, I ll have time to focus os other stuff I guess
check my music

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 13
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »
It sucks to hear about other people being injured but it does ease the pain knowing others are going through it too.

I’ve had an issue in both my knees since February (been skating 20+ years never any knee issues), haven’t skated since. From what I found on my own research, it could be patellar tendonitis? Going to the doctor on Monday to finally get it checked out. Anyone with knee issues ever get a good diagnosis without an MRI?

Also stubbed the shit out of my pinky toe 2 weeks ago, thinking it could be broken

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »
Anyone with knee issues ever get a good diagnosis without an MRI?
No, and I wouldn't trust one without it.

asian chan

• Rep: 0
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2021, 01:05:15 AM »
I have rolled my ankle 20 times within the last year

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2021, 01:08:35 AM »
I rolled my ankle yesterday, not too bad and I could finish the session but today I feel it is sore. I am debating whether I should still skate today or not. Not going would be frustrating because I have the day off. What would you do?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

viciousdingo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »
I rolled my ankle yesterday, not too bad and I could finish the session but today I feel it is sore. I am debating whether I should still skate today or not. Not going would be frustrating because I have the day off. What would you do?

I rolled my ankle super bad in October. I treated like any other ankle roll and kept skating on it after a few weeks off. I really regret not letting it rest longer because I skated before it was ready and kept setting back the healing process. I had to stop in January and only just got back on my board yesterday after months of physical therapy. I would wait if I were you dog because this shit bummed me out!!!!!

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2021, 06:43:03 AM »
Ankle sprains suck because the ligaments there stretch out like sweaters. Once they’re stretched they can’t go back. Take care of them by resting and letting it heal.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Cheers brehs, I stepped on the board but immediately felt it was too early. Went to the shop to cop some Tyshawns instead, to at least do something skate related.  ::)
why come?

indigenous_nudity

• Rep: 13
« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
rolled my ankle the worst i ever have this month, tore ligaments and swelled up like grapefruit. only just started being able to put pressure on it three weeks later. probably another month till i even feel comfortable getting back on board. maybe even that timeframe is too optimistic? idk

the worst part is i was just warming up, goofing around. crutches are no fun when you live on the 4th floor of your building

fuck Vans eras, never again

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
I rolled my right ankle something fierce in late February. like, really bad. haven’t skated since, and it’s driving me crazy. but I know if I start skating again it’s just gonna make things worse. I’m done skating in regular chuck Taylor’s, or any chuck Taylor’s for that matter.....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »
Look at Steph Curry even if you don’t like basketball. He rolls his ankles real bad all the time and is somehow still able to play at a high level.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »
Look at Steph Curry even if you don’t like basketball. He rolls his ankles real bad all the time and is somehow still able to play at a high level.

if I was getting paid 1/100 of what steph curry gets paid, I’d get my feet chopped off and skate on the stumps. Lmao
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »

dude's also got some of the best trainers and medical professionals in the world working to get him on the court.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2021, 10:54:34 PM »
I only post on slap when I’m drunk so does that count as injured?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Just rolled my ankle this past weekend trying to learn fakie varial heels, damn near landed one and my back foot slipped off the tail and folded.

That's the third time in the last 8/9 months i've rolled the same one, seems to happen about every 4 months - i take physio and rehab pretty seriously too... and all the other necessaries, mid top shoes laced well, insoles etc etc.

Does anyone else have flat feet and weak/hypermobile ankles? I can pretty much roll my ankles inwards so my sole is at 90 degrees (always had this flexibility), this seems to be a double edged sword in that it's harder to fully tear anything because all the ligaments on the outside of my ankle are so lax, but it does seem to make me more prone to rolling them in the first place :(

it's been two days and no meaningful bruising or swelling, and didn't have any telltale crunch or popping noises when it happened, so i think I've dodged a bullet this time...but, long term, how long can i go on rolling my ankles and keeping skating.

I'm hesitant to skate in a brace because I don't really want to pass injuries up to my knee, but if it keeps happening I'll need to at least consider it I think.
[close]

I feel you mate. I rolled my ankles every year for the last 12 years. I couldn't take it anymore so I got ankle braces. Skating doesn't seem any different since I wear these.
You just have to find nice flexible ankle braces and adjust for a bit. But it's better that way ya know.

Can you link the braces you are using ?

I'm interested. If I get injured I can't work so it's a big concern for me.

Do they effect your flicking on flip tricks?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »
Have any of you ever broke your ankle?

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2021, 04:16:17 AM »
I’ve been having a pretty awful knee issue and am planning to get an MRI soon.

I’m wondering if anyone has had this feeling: imagine your knee is holding together the top and bottom sections of your leg in like 10 places- 10 spots where something keeps it tight and aligned (I know this isn’t exactly right but I’m trying to o describe) - my knee feels like maybe only 7 or 8 are working. Doesn’t feel loose like it could fall off or something but feels not fully supported. Almost as if it could leave my toes pointing slightly inward. Opposite of “duck feet”

The pain is not too bad - I can mostly live a normal life but sometimes I’ll be walking and I’ll have a funny step (nothing crazy just going down a set of stairs and maybe taking an unusually large step, or walking on uneven ground) and some pain will be triggered.

The pain is pretty unpleasant but not unbearable. What worries me is the idea that my minor to moderate pain could be part of an injury that could become much worse. If a doctor I trusted told me that it’s fine to skate and to deal with the pain I could do so, it’s more the anxiety of worrying that I’m making things worse that has taken enjoyment out of skating. Hopefully I’ll have an answer soon.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2021, 05:44:19 AM »
A couple weeks ago at work my right foot slipped on wet concrete, my foot only slid a few inches but something happened to my knee. 7.5 years I jacked my knee and it would just buckle out from under me randomly for a few years but eventually it would only happen once every few months. But when I grab my ankle and pull it up to my butt, it would click back into place.
So when this happened a few days ago, it felt like that old injury so I did the ankle pull and it clicked back in but it felt and sounded different when it clicked in.
Now when my right leg goes too straight. It hurts and will start buckling. Like even when I’m stretching in bed as I’m going to sleep or waking up, it will feel like it’s gonna go out of place so it’s a little different from the injury 7 years ago.
Last week at work my knee buckled 5 times within ten steps right in front of my boss at work.
It’s getting better but idk what this injury is, with it feeling weak when my leg goes too straight.
I skated yesterday and it felt mostly fine but then last night in bed I stretched my legs out and was like, ah fuck it felt tweaked again.
It’s weird.
My knees are alway getting jacked up tho.
In 2019 and 2020 I had to wear a knee brace for a month every couple months cuz something would happen to one knee or the other.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2021, 05:53:05 AM »
I’ve been having a pretty awful knee issue and am planning to get an MRI soon.

I’m wondering if anyone has had this feeling: imagine your knee is holding together the top and bottom sections of your leg in like 10 places- 10 spots where something keeps it tight and aligned (I know this isn’t exactly right but I’m trying to o describe) - my knee feels like maybe only 7 or 8 are working. Doesn’t feel loose like it could fall off or something but feels not fully supported. Almost as if it could leave my toes pointing slightly inward. Opposite of “duck feet”

The pain is not too bad - I can mostly live a normal life but sometimes I’ll be walking and I’ll have a funny step (nothing crazy just going down a set of stairs and maybe taking an unusually large step, or walking on uneven ground) and some pain will be triggered.

The pain is pretty unpleasant but not unbearable. What worries me is the idea that my minor to moderate pain could be part of an injury that could become much worse. If a doctor I trusted told me that it’s fine to skate and to deal with the pain I could do so, it’s more the anxiety of worrying that I’m making things worse that has taken enjoyment out of skating. Hopefully I’ll have an answer soon.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Yes. You have probably injured your ACL. I had to skate with a knee sleeve for years. Here is what I did to strengthen my knee:

-swim laps
-ride a bike
-most beneficial is leg work

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vshred.com/blog/ultimate-leg-day-workout/amp/

When I started rehab I could barely lift a small weight w/o my knee clicking and popping. You have to work through that unless the pain is deep in the knee. Then go see a doctor. You would know if you needed knee surgery—the pain would be unbearable. You probably just stretched out your ACL by landing awkwardly. The more you use your knee the better it will feel. Just don’t do any tricks you don’t land the majority of the time while you are recovering. Basically, skate at your own risk.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2021, 06:52:40 AM »
Skating does strange things to my body.

A year ago I got kickflips back but after a few weeks, I started having nervous discharges in my flick foot toes and thought that‘s it, no more kickflips. Then I found out the first discharge was the worst and it diminished on subsequent flips so I just went on with it and a few weeks later it was gone.

However, that was when my flick foot ankle started hurting upon flicking and again I  thought that was it but kept going as long as it was bearable. That went away too after some weeks.

The newest thing is a pain in my flick leg hip. It‘s not even hurting when skating but when I do certain lateral movements with my leg it radiates making me groan loudly. I hope that will go away too...

why come?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just rolled my ankle this past weekend trying to learn fakie varial heels, damn near landed one and my back foot slipped off the tail and folded.

That's the third time in the last 8/9 months i've rolled the same one, seems to happen about every 4 months - i take physio and rehab pretty seriously too... and all the other necessaries, mid top shoes laced well, insoles etc etc.

Does anyone else have flat feet and weak/hypermobile ankles? I can pretty much roll my ankles inwards so my sole is at 90 degrees (always had this flexibility), this seems to be a double edged sword in that it's harder to fully tear anything because all the ligaments on the outside of my ankle are so lax, but it does seem to make me more prone to rolling them in the first place :(

it's been two days and no meaningful bruising or swelling, and didn't have any telltale crunch or popping noises when it happened, so i think I've dodged a bullet this time...but, long term, how long can i go on rolling my ankles and keeping skating.

I'm hesitant to skate in a brace because I don't really want to pass injuries up to my knee, but if it keeps happening I'll need to at least consider it I think.
[close]

I feel you mate. I rolled my ankles every year for the last 12 years. I couldn't take it anymore so I got ankle braces. Skating doesn't seem any different since I wear these.
You just have to find nice flexible ankle braces and adjust for a bit. But it's better that way ya know.
[close]

They don't effect my flip tricks or any other tricks. It took a few sessions to get used to them but now it feels weird to skate without them.

I think what's important in a ankle brace is, that they have some kind of plastic insert to stabilize your ankles. Mine are very flexible and I feel safer with them.
Sorry for the amazon link, but I couldn't find better pictures. I have these.

https://www.amazon.de/Doact-Sprunggelenkbandage-Fu%C3%9Fgelenkst%C3%BCtze-Fu%C3%9Fgelenkbandage-Kn%C3%B6chelverstauchung/dp/B07GYMDCN3
IG: @flowterspace

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

They don't effect my flip tricks or any other tricks. It took a few sessions to get used to them but now it feels weird to skate without them.

I think what's important in a ankle brace is, that they have some kind of plastic insert to stabilize your ankles. Mine are very flexible and I feel safer with them.
Sorry for the amazon link, but I couldn't find better pictures. I have these.

https://www.amazon.de/Doact-Sprunggelenkbandage-Fu%C3%9Fgelenkst%C3%BCtze-Fu%C3%9Fgelenkbandage-Kn%C3%B6chelverstauchung/dp/B07GYMDCN3

Brilliant thank you
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2021, 01:27:22 AM »
Hey pals, has anyone of you experiences with weak ankle joints? I want to find some exercises to make them stronger. I already looked at Kyle Browns insta, but couldn't find a specific exercise for that.

Thanks in advance.
IG: @flowterspace

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2021, 04:34:43 AM »
Hey pals, has anyone of you experiences with weak ankle joints? I want to find some exercises to make them stronger. I already looked at Kyle Browns insta, but couldn't find a specific exercise for that.

Thanks in advance.
Do the calf stretch heel raise on a step. Go to a step in your house and on one leg do a calf stretch then lift it up doing a heel raise. Do 10 a day. He said on a podcast that’s the most important exercise in his opinion for ankles.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
Been having a lot of calf pain lately. Over the past couple weeks it would feel like it was cramping up in which a couple days of chilling usually would make it feel better. But this past Saturday I was skating feeling fine, then as I went to run up a quarterpipe something in my leg clicked so badly it made me collapse. I legit thought somebody crashed into me cuz of how sudden it felt. Feels like it could be a slight muscle tear but when I went to the doctor they basically shrugged at me for 6 hours.

Anyone deal with this? I've been resting it since and I'm at the point where I can walk fairly comfortably but it still feels weak. It also bruised up randomly so the common tips I get about foam rolling/massaging it are really painful to do.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
OK so I fell on my hand/palm two weeks ago and ever since I had some subcutaneous blood clot thing within the palm, like a hard sport and of course it hurts like hell when I fall on it (which happens regularly). Also when I fall on it, it gets bloodshot but that passes and the hard sport forms again. I asked at the pharmacy if there was something I could do but the girl at the counter basically laughed me out of the shop and said it would go away eventually.

Now my question: Is that true and it will go away or not? Assume that I will keep on falling on it regularly about once or twice a week.  ::)
why come?

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »

Broke mine a few years back in like late April and didn’t skate again until mid August.  I missed most of the summer.  It was right after a bad breakup and I lost my job too.  It was a horrible time in my life.  After healing up from that I broke my good foot in December of that same year but by then I was in a much better place and didn’t really care.  That injury annoyed me into April of the following year but missing most of winter was no big deal.  I’m currently stuck in a cycle of rolling both of my ankle after skating for like 2 weeks and then taking a month off. 

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
I had an acl tear about 2-3 years ago that I got dealt with, have been skating for about a year comfortably with the occasional shocks, but nothing too bad until the other day

Was having a rad session, doing a bunch of airs and going hard on transition. Then I tried manualing a 6” ledge, stumbled and sprained my knee. It’s swollen to the size of a grapefruit and completely can’t walk on it, thought it doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as when I tore the ligaments. I was worried as fuck that I was gonna get fired from my job but here I am at work, taking a break from all the movement to post on slap. I’d like to hope that I only bruised my acl or mcl rather than have torn it and have to deal with the years long process again. Too broke to get an MRI so we’ll see how bad it is in the next few months.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »

Ankle, foot, wrist (x2), elbow (x2), finger, pinkie toe, ribs (6-8 times), patella, and I don't remember what else.

Ankle took 6 weeks to get to weight bearing and another month of PT before I could think about skating. It was weak for years and I would sprain it if I looked at it funny.  I often had to wear a brace on it even walking around for the first couple years because I would roll it if I stepped on an uneven sidewalk. 

My latest injury was a massive toe stub that caused my big toenail to bleed for 3 days.  That was a week ago and I'm still needing to be careful with it and am doing very little skating.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2021, 06:21:40 PM »
I top rope body slammed due to my front truck hanger falling off (fuck those low profile ti nuts) at some point during a high speed manual, landed on my left hand (holding a metal water  bottle, blew the cap right off that fucking like a pressure explosion and I believe I tore my left rotator cuff (i've done it before working out but not this bad); no bruising or popping so I assume it's not broken (you never know)...it's been a couple weeks and it's gotten better but not 100% yet...tempted to go get a radiation blast to see if I have any hairlines.

Working out, I threw out my back with poor form deadlifts, that took a week to get over, not too bad...but fuck me, yesterday, using floor exercises and items made specifically for back PT...I fuckign threw it out at again =(

As for ankle-peeps, I rolled my right one 3 years ago and it's never been right since...one improper heel flip landing and it tweaks...every time (so those are out).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:52:59 PM by Xen »