Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 766181 times)

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #1020 on: December 23, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
Westgate's look really good. Very deserved.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1021 on: December 24, 2018, 04:20:38 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve essentially stopped wearing skate shoes every day, instead wearing running shoes. Got these Brooks Ghost 11s, I love them. The problem is when I skate, I have to wear these flat, nonsupportive things that murder my knees. Are those expensive 868s pretty good as far as cushion and support goes? They look ill, I just don’t want to drop that much on some skate shoes that aren’t going to do what I need. I don’t understand why we skate in such minimal shoes anymore.
[close]

i got some 868s a couple months ago cause the sale was too good to pass: $35 plus shipping. theyre really comfy to walk in (and nice look at), with decent arch support and substantial heel cushioning. however, they have zero boardfeel and the sole is not very flexible, so other than cruising i dont use them to skate.

this is where i got em. they're still at a great price for (imo) the best current colorway: https://www.mltd.com/product/new-balance-numeric-nm868cwb-numeric-868-shoe-redblack-111067

edit: only one left of 8 and 9.5!!!

The 868’s imo are the best shoes I’ve ever skated. I’m on the same tip I NEVER wear skate shoes unless I’m skating otherwise it’s a running shoe or my work boots at work. I used to skate vans slip ons a lot, but I kept getting shin splints and knee pain skating. I switched to the 868 and learned I needed an orthodic insole from my physical therapist. I have not had the pain since I switched. I think they have great board feel, but coming from a Vulc I can see the complaints, you just have to adjust to them and get used to it. But once you there the best. They are super durable too, I’ve been skating my current pair for 3-4 months and they still have another month in them.

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1022 on: December 24, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
Available on ambushboardco.com $99.00 size 9-13. This is the only image they have unfortunately

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1024 on: January 01, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGYHBgHEPd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ph7pjyfx757p

Looks good, can't wait to see it in other color ways. Once I burn through a couple of Christmas pairs of shoes, they'll be at the top of the list.

Surprised you haven't gotten a pair to mess with yet Tate.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1025 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks good, can't wait to see it in other color ways. Once I burn through a couple of Christmas pairs of shoes, they'll be at the top of the list.

Surprised you haven't gotten a pair to mess with yet Tate.

I’ll def have to get a pair to try out soon, I’m liking that dark teal colorway.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1026 on: January 03, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
At one of my locals last night something like 9 out of the 10 people there were in nb including a pair of Westgates and they looked super sharp.  Dude said they were comfy too I really wanted to try a pair of adidas 3st.003 next but might go with the westgates

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1027 on: January 04, 2019, 03:09:29 AM »
Whats the deal with the 868s in Europe? I cant find them in any of the websites for each country. They are no sold in the EU?

been trying to get nb directly from the website but i think they do not stock the euro sites too much- maybe roth can fill you in on that. he wrote something a while back that they are trying to figure this out better for european sites and distribution or something along those lines since the NB skate thing is kinda small operation with not that many people involved as you might think

usually i just mailordered from some online shops

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1028 on: January 05, 2019, 02:23:00 AM »
Whats the deal with the 868s in Europe? I cant find them in any of the websites for each country. They are no sold in the EU?

They were sold for quite some time, had a pair in 2017. Here is one for example. Not sure if they will continue to sell them in europe.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/new-balance-numeric-868-schuh-black-grey_p111427?scat=1073&view=manu&brand_id=554

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1029 on: January 05, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So the 913 is apparently coming out in a couple of weeks- has anyone seen other pictures or worn them? How is the sizing and what other models do they feel like?

868s we're the truth. If we ever got them again in the UK, I'd grab them. Supportive, durable and look great.
[close]
https://www.ambushboardco.com/new-balance-numeric-913-sea-salt-dark-sea-men-s-skate-shoes

The 913s look dope
[close]

These are one of the best looking models in a while but I’m not sure if they’re $100 dope lol.
[close]

Other pic:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnR4qAnH4rO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18qyyhufj5psg

I like the techy look, but the lines of the tpu cage are triggering my ocd ahah
They look really stable tho, I really like how the tpu cage goes all the way down to the medial side, lockdown is probably really good.
I still like the look of the 868 better.
Okay never mind.  While I don’t really care for that color, I don’t hate it. However,  I hate the way the inside of the shoe looks. No matter how good it skates I couldn’t stand looking down at my feet.

Nate.Dog

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1030 on: January 06, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So the 913 is apparently coming out in a couple of weeks- has anyone seen other pictures or worn them? How is the sizing and what other models do they feel like?

868s we're the truth. If we ever got them again in the UK, I'd grab them. Supportive, durable and look great.
[close]
https://www.ambushboardco.com/new-balance-numeric-913-sea-salt-dark-sea-men-s-skate-shoes

The 913s look dope
[close]

These are one of the best looking models in a while but I’m not sure if they’re $100 dope lol.
[close]

Other pic:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnR4qAnH4rO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18qyyhufj5psg

I like the techy look, but the lines of the tpu cage are triggering my ocd ahah
They look really stable tho, I really like how the tpu cage goes all the way down to the medial side, lockdown is probably really good.
I still like the look of the 868 better.
[close]
Okay never mind.  While I don’t really care for that color, I don’t hate it. However,  I hate the way the inside of the shoe looks. No matter how good it skates I couldn’t stand looking down at my feet.

I weartested the shoe a few months back, and I thought the same thing but honestly you really never notice it, and it makes the shoe much more stable in the midfoot as well as being more breathable.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:20 PM »

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1032 on: January 14, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »
That green colourway is a winner

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #1033 on: January 15, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »
Got a question about the 574s for anyone who's had a pair, CC: rothdigga...

I'm super particular about cupsoles I skate. If they're not grippy and flexible enough, it's not just not gonna work for me (for illustrative purposes, Adidas' City Cup has been my cupsole of choice lately). I really like the look and shape of the 574s, and the sole looks good enough, but how grippy is that tread material and how long does it actually last? I remember having a pair of the original 533s, and I really liked them, but the sole wasn't super soft and that made some thing difficult. Is the 574 sole softer than that?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ungzilla

« Reply #1034 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:22 AM »
this doesn't answer your question but i think you'd like the 440

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2019, 06:53:37 AM »
this doesn't answer your question but i think you'd like the 440
hardly art, hardly starving

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #1036 on: January 15, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »

I'm super particular about cupsoles I skate. If they're not grippy and flexible enough, it's not just not gonna work for me (for illustrative purposes, Adidas' City Cup has been my cupsole of choice lately). I really like the look and shape of the 574s, and the sole looks good enough, but how grippy is that tread material and how long does it actually last? I remember having a pair of the original 533s, and I really liked them, but the sole wasn't super soft and that made some thing difficult. Is the 574 sole softer than that?

Mine were way too stiff and slippery for me. I normally skate vulcs like vans and states though. So maybe I'm not the best one to answer but they may not be what you're looking for. They're super comfy though.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1037 on: January 15, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Wait, so I must have missed something. NB released a Cranberry themed 574 with Westgate right before he got his own shoe which is the 913? Why do both?

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #1038 on: January 15, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »
Wait, so I must have missed something. NB released a Cranberry themed 574 with Westgate right before he got his own shoe which is the 913? Why do both?

We let Brandon pick one shoe to do a colorway with in conjunction with the Cranberry video we made that was to come out before his 913 pro model.  We knew his shoe would take a while to develop so we started the 574 a little earlier.  I realize it's odd they came out so close to eachother, but Thanksgiving really seemed like the right time to put the 574 out...since Cranberries and all...

rothdigga

« Reply #1039 on: January 15, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »

Cupsoles in general aren't super grippy in my experience.  I don't want to push you away from the 574 Cranberry, but I agree with Ungzilla that the 440 would work great for you.  The new 913 Westgate is more grippy than the 574...fyi. 

TCP

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1040 on: January 15, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
At one of my locals last night something like 9 out of the 10 people there were in nb including a pair of Westgates and they looked super sharp.  Dude said they were comfy too I really wanted to try a pair of adidas 3st.003 next but might go with the westgates
just picked up a pair of 3st's a week or two ago and are finally breaking in. First off they are super minimalistic feeling, they legit hug your feet like a glove but not too snug (i have narrow feet), however, the sole cushioning isn't the best. After reading this thread I'd be curious to try out a new balance  shoe especially because I've never skated a cup sole before.
[gif]https://m.imgur.com/CC3MMS2?r[/gif]

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1041 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cupsoles in general aren't super grippy in my experience.  I don't want to push you away from the 574 Cranberry, but I agree with Ungzilla that the 440 would work great for you.  The new 913 Westgate is more grippy than the 574...fyi.
On the contrary, I felt that the 440 was one of the most 'perfect' grips of most shoes I've skated and that is cupsole. Right in between way-too-sticky vulc shoes and cupsole ice skates.
I actually bought a pair of the 345 to skate right after the 440 to see how the vulcs compare to the cupsoles since I like the 440 so much.

Both great!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1042 on: January 15, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
I alternate between classic Half Cabs and the 533s and was wondering if Numeric has ever made a shoe that was maybe a combination of the two? I know there are a couple of mid tops in the line so maybe I am just sleeping on exactly what I am looking for. Basically, the overall support, feel and impact cushioning of the 533 with the extra ankle support of a mid top. Does such a shoe already exist?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1043 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »
How does the 440 fit in comparison to the 533 v2? Have skated three pairs of the latter (US 9.5,  Europe 43) and I am super happy with them but might try something new.

rothdigga

« Reply #1044 on: January 16, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
How does the 440 fit in comparison to the 533 v2? Have skated three pairs of the latter (US 9.5,  Europe 43) and I am super happy with them but might try something new.

Overall fit should be similar (length wise), but the toebox is wider, so you'll have more room up front for your foot.  That shoe has consistently been a team fav and moves very well at retail for us. 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #1045 on: January 16, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Are you guys gonna re-release the Tom Knox colorway anytime soon?  ;D
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

jakedilla

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1046 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
^^^Looking for the same shoe in a 10.5 or 11, if anyone knows somewhere that still has 'em I'd appreciate it!

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1047 on: January 16, 2019, 01:27:42 PM »
What's the fit like on the 913?

rothdigga

« Reply #1048 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »
Are you guys gonna re-release the Tom Knox colorway anytime soon?  ;D

Shhhhh...but yes.  We have one coming in 2019.  I think Fall 2019

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #1049 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
Coming from regular Vans Eras the 440 took a few sessions to get used to and now I'm loving them.  Psyched to get another pair.  Kept getting frustrated by how The banner ad for the Tom Knox color-up ran for months after they were sold out everywhere.  A re-up on those would be nice. 

Also please check your DMs,  Rothdigga.  Had a kind of drawn out NB related question that I didn't want to clog the thread up with.   

wheee!