Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 777833 times)

bongboarder420 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

rothdigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 570
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4530 on: September 06, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »
I have a few questions to ya NB# heads.

Are NB# vulc shoes similar to other vulc shoes? If so, I am interested in one of those cup models. I like my shoes to be snug and I have a very low volume feet shape, so I am looking for a narrow and tight shoe in the front and cushioned sidewalls around my weak ankles. So far, I like the look of the 288 and 440. I think I read a lot of people like the 440 model. The 425 also looks nice, but I am not sure I can handle only having 5 lace holes. The 272 also looks cool, but that is a vulc and I don't know if I will like the ortho insole.

Any other models I should keep an eye on?

Help. And thanks in advance pals.
In contrast to what Chris says above, I find the 288S to be a very snug shoe.  Maybe it's the one piece collar in the back, but my foot feels very secure in that shoe.  440's have some more room to play inside but as with all shoes in my experience, everyone's feet are so different that you just need to find a model that works for you.  I do feel like the 288s might be what you're looking for though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4531 on: September 06, 2022, 01:18:01 PM »
NB vulcs feel more stable to me than Vans, at least the 272 and 306.

425 I would pass on to me its a price point shoe. The 440 is really thin and a great first cup. I run the Superfeet Run Comfort insoles in them but haven't had many sessions with that combo. NB sells those same insoles rebranded on their site.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #4532 on: September 06, 2022, 02:38:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a few questions to ya NB# heads.

Are NB# vulc shoes similar to other vulc shoes? If so, I am interested in one of those cup models. I like my shoes to be snug and I have a very low volume feet shape, so I am looking for a narrow and tight shoe in the front and cushioned sidewalls around my weak ankles. So far, I like the look of the 288 and 440. I think I read a lot of people like the 440 model. The 425 also looks nice, but I am not sure I can handle only having 5 lace holes. The 272 also looks cool, but that is a vulc and I don't know if I will like the ortho insole.

Any other models I should keep an eye on?

Help. And thanks in advance pals.
[close]
In contrast to what Chris says above, I find the 288S to be a very snug shoe.  Maybe it's the one piece collar in the back, but my foot feels very secure in that shoe.  440's have some more room to play inside but as with all shoes in my experience, everyone's feet are so different that you just need to find a model that works for you.  I do feel like the 288s might be what you're looking for though.

damn im hyped. Just ordered a pair and snug shoes are my favorite to skate in. Felt like the 212 was weirdly wide, and then the 440 hi feels a bit wide too.

Enjoy the comfort on both though

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 12
  • VX1000
« Reply #4533 on: September 08, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »
Hey @rothdigga, with the recent release of 808, can we expect any new 1010 colorways soon? Or will those be taking a backseat for a bit?
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4534 on: September 08, 2022, 10:11:08 AM »
I ordered 3 pairs, hopefully one of them is the one.
Shoe madness...

440, 306 and 508 all in a US 7.

But thanks ya all for your contributions so far.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4535 on: September 08, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »
Mini review after skating a pair for about 10 hours:

True to size. Don’t go a half size down like the mesh toe 1010. They have good heel lock. Not as narrow as people are saying. They break in and the fit is supportive and feels solid against ankle rolling. I feel it’s more grippy right out of the box than the 1010. The outsole tread is deeper so it should last longer than the 1010. Great Flick on kickflips. Heelflips don’t rip the top lace anymore on me like the 1010.

I’ll just say: best new cupsole shoe of the year.

Just got them/tried them on (it's end of day and just got back from the gym for (3 hours) so feet are as big as they get during the day, like how you are supposed to try on shoes) and agree on the fit = these are true to size (a bit snug, but in that good way) as someone who had issues with the all leather 1010, 9.5 were too small (even after stretching) and the 10s were too big (lengthwise); they have the same 'low toe box ceiling' the 1010s had which leads to the the snug fit.

That said, they might not be true to your NB# size depending on model...I wear a 10 in Vans/DC/Enties/emerica, and these 10s feel right on. For the record, I've been all over the place with NB# 255 (10.5), 440 (9.5), 306 (10 but were too snug), 508 (9.5 too small 10 too long), 272 (10) too big...could have easily gone 9.5 and been fine but didn't bother.

Width-wise, as someone with wide metatarsals, these are plenty wide out of the box and will only get better.

Good heel lock, no slip. Moderate arch/on par with how I remember the 1010s feeling. Bit of lift from mid-foot (from the start of the arch) to the heel but nothing like a Buz.

Comfy, well padded all around, bulky in the rear. Insole is flimsy/non-existent (like the 1010).

I appreciate the inner lace loops (hoping they last longer than the ones on the Joslin/etnies), but kinda wish they had them on both (in)sides (it looks weird).

Don't mind the lacing, just trying out options. No extra laces in the box.

Now to black out the white 'N' border. Will update after I break them in/sk8 them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 09:24:53 PM by Xen »

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #4536 on: September 08, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Mini review after skating a pair for about 10 hours:

True to size. Don’t go a half size down like the mesh toe 1010. They have good heel lock. Not as narrow as people are saying. They break in and the fit is supportive and feels solid against ankle rolling. I feel it’s more grippy right out of the box than the 1010. The outsole tread is deeper so it should last longer than the 1010. Great Flick on kickflips. Heelflips don’t rip the top lace anymore on me like the 1010.

I’ll just say: best new cupsole shoe of the year.
[close]

Just got them/tried them on (it's end of day and just got back from the gym for (3 hours) so feet are as big as they get during the day, like how you are supposed to try on shoes) and agree on the fit = these are true to size (a bit snug, but in that good way) as someone who had issues with the all leather 1010, 9.5 were too small (even after stretching) and the 10s were too big (lengthwise); they have the same 'low toe box ceiling' the 1010s had which leads to the the snug fit.

That said, they might not be true to your NB# size depending on model...I wear a 10 in Vans/DC/Enties/emerica, and these 10s feel right on. For the record, I've been all over the place with NB# 255 (10), 440 (9.5), 306 (10 but were too snug), 508 (9.5 too small 10 too long).

Width-wise, as someone with wide metatarsals, these are plenty wide out of the box and will only get better.

Good heel lock, no slip. Moderate arch/on par with how I remember the 1010s feeling. Bit of lift from mid-foot (from the start of the arch) to the heel but nothing like a Buz.

Comfy, well padded all around, bulky in the rear. Insole is flimsy/non-existent (like the 1010).

I appreciate the inner lace loops (hoping they last longer than the ones on the Joslin/etnies), but kinda wish they had them on both (in)sides (it looks weird).

Don't mind the lacing, just trying out options. No extra laces in the box.

Now to black out the white 'N' border. Will update after I break them in/sk8 them.

My experience differs. I got the same color in a size 10. I wear a 9.5 in Vans and a 10 in the NB 255 and 306. The size 10 in the 808 was smashing my toes together. I thought about exchanging them for a 10.5 but the 10s had a bit of heel slippage. The 10.5 might be a lot worse. Bummer, it is a high quality shoe that reminds me of some of the greats from the 90s.
How much for an order of ribs?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4537 on: September 08, 2022, 09:23:38 PM »
I just noted/corrected my 255 size was actually 10.5.

It's still crazy to me how different all the NB# shoes can be within their shapes (square toe/round toe), heel counter curve, etc..it's nice to have options tho but it makes shopping a bit trickier due to having to try them on in person (Zappos makes for fast delivery and easy returns).

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #4538 on: September 09, 2022, 06:54:02 AM »
I'm not really digging the new Tiagos. The 808s.

Definitely prefer the originals
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4539 on: September 09, 2022, 07:03:13 AM »
I've had the same size in every NB model and variant. Guess I'm lucky.

rothdigga

« Reply #4540 on: September 09, 2022, 11:38:25 AM »
Hey @rothdigga, with the recent release of 808, can we expect any new 1010 colorways soon? Or will those be taking a backseat for a bit?

Nah, we've still got 1-2 colors of the 1010 coming out each season for the foreseeable future so if that's your shoe...you should be very set for a while.  Our goal is definitely NOT to try to change models or discontinue them if they're working.  Slower ones get phased out but if it's working, we don't want to try to fix what isn't broke. 

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4541 on: September 09, 2022, 12:28:57 PM »
I wonder if I should try New Balance or not !  I swear by cupsoles, can't ride vulcanized anymore, too sensitive for my heels, back.. and I feel like New Balance has the best cupsole shoes ! Your general opinion ? 😁

rothdigga

« Reply #4542 on: September 09, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »
I wonder if I should try New Balance or not !  I swear by cupsoles, can't ride vulcanized anymore, too sensitive for my heels, back.. and I feel like New Balance has the best cupsole shoes ! Your general opinion ? 😁
I definitely think you should buy 500-1000 pairs ASAP!  But I'm probably a little biased so I'll let the general Pals on here chime in to give their expert opinions.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4543 on: September 09, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I definitely think you should buy 500-1000 pairs ASAP!  But I'm probably a little biased so I'll let the general Pals on here chime in to give their expert opinions.

he may be biased but for good reason. try some 1010's they will ruin all other skate shoes for you.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #4544 on: September 09, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

try some 440s
hardly art, hardly starving

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4545 on: September 09, 2022, 02:33:06 PM »
440s are solid cup. I think I like the 508s more.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4546 on: September 09, 2022, 02:50:51 PM »
440s are solid cup. I think I like the 508s more.

I've not skated the 508s yet but coming off the 440s, the 508s feel like they're hugging every portion of your foot, the 440s, while great, just felt average (and very flat) and nowhere near the level of padding compared to the 508. Plus, I got the all white 440 leather, felt like I was wearing the dad version of a NB skate shoe.

The 440s run bigger all around than the 508s, not sizing per say, just overall fit, just a but roomier. Again, the 508s, like the 1010s, are snug/slightly bulky; there's a lot of shoe going on.

If I had to sum it up, the 508 feels like a real 'sneaker' from the 90s whereas the 440 and 255/306/272 feel like a modern/generic (albeit great) 'skate' shoe (i.e. not much going on).

The blk/red/white 508s are pretty bad ass looking as well!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4547 on: September 10, 2022, 10:59:33 AM »
Excuse me if this is already been covered, but I do not feel like digging through a multi hundred page thread. Can someone tell me how one can tell the difference between the Numeric “chiller” shoes and the legitimate skate shoes? I’ve had some 440s, but that’s it. I don’t know much else about the lines.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4548 on: September 10, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »
They're labeled "New Balance Numeric" and on the skateboarding portion of their site for all current models. Numbers wise the lower the less tech, the higher the more tech. Above 400 everything is a cup.

Take the 272 and 306. The former is thinner and more flexible and has fewer upper panels of different materials. The 306 being a pro shoe has some reinforcement strips and different midsole and insole.

A 440 is the same vs a 508. While there's pro colors of the 440, there ain't much going on with it like Xen said. It's a basic, thin cup that I swap the insole out of immediately.

The 1010 is the king of the tech. It has a bunch of different midsole and outsole shit happening, hugs all of your foot, and basically does your tricks for you. It will convert you from a thin vulc nerd to a diehard cup fan.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #4549 on: September 10, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »
It's about time for me to get some new skate shoes and NB has been top of mind. I've tried the 440s and something in the 500 line a couple years back.. both gave me crazy pain on the pinky toe sides of my feet when skating (walking in them was just fine). Anyone know if they make a wider shoe? I would prefer a cupsole but can work with vulcs and FP insoles.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4550 on: September 10, 2022, 07:33:31 PM »
They're labeled "New Balance Numeric" and on the skateboarding portion of their site for all current models. Numbers wise the lower the less tech, the higher the more tech. Above 400 everything is a cup.

Take the 272 and 306. The former is thinner and more flexible and has fewer upper panels of different materials. The 306 being a pro shoe has some reinforcement strips and different midsole and insole.

A 440 is the same vs a 508. While there's pro colors of the 440, there ain't much going on with it like Xen said. It's a basic, thin cup that I swap the insole out of immediately.

The 1010 is the king of the tech. It has a bunch of different midsole and outsole shit happening, hugs all of your foot, and basically does your tricks for you. It will convert you from a thin vulc nerd to a diehard cup fan.

Whoa whoa whoa

is this true?

Should I return the 288s before they are shipped and cop the 1010 instead?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4551 on: September 10, 2022, 08:11:20 PM »
I was half kidding but I used to skate Blazers, then tried 440s and they were too thin and I got sore feet, then LRAB, back to Blazers, then Vans. Mostly Half Cabs recently.

I got some mostly to just wear since they're super supportive. Then I skated them and there was a learning curve but once it clicked I was sold. My flick is really consistent and good, I really like the amount of ankle support, and the grip is great. Sometimes they feel weird the first 10min cuz they're not super floppy but they're damn good.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4552 on: September 10, 2022, 11:31:58 PM »
I was half kidding but I used to skate Blazers, then tried 440s and they were too thin and I got sore feet, then LRAB, back to Blazers, then Vans. Mostly Half Cabs recently.

I got some mostly to just wear since they're super supportive. Then I skated them and there was a learning curve but once it clicked I was sold. My flick is really consistent and good, I really like the amount of ankle support, and the grip is great. Sometimes they feel weird the first 10min cuz they're not super floppy but they're damn good.

interesting. And you never felt like you had a consistent flick with those other shoes? Did the 440s feel thinner than the LRAB kicks?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4553 on: September 11, 2022, 01:53:21 AM »
Thanks NB# for the 1010 and 808 with some extra goodies.

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4554 on: September 12, 2022, 06:23:57 AM »
808s look so good, cant wait to see what color ways they come out with next. i would love to see a black and yellow of this

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4555 on: September 12, 2022, 07:12:09 AM »
Okay so I got the package with the 306, 508 and 440. All in a US 7 because I have cute, weak feet.

306 - my toes are swimming but the insole is nice
508 - feels way too big overall and my heel slips
440 - great snug fit, just wish for slightly longer laces

Thanks for coming to my ted talk and have a great afternoon ya all.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4556 on: September 12, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »
i love the feeling of the toes swimming because i have a fucked up middle toe with this gnarly bunion on it and it really hurts when it bashes the end of the shoe. for some reason it never happens to me on this shoe like it does on es Accels.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4557 on: September 12, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

interesting. And you never felt like you had a consistent flick with those other shoes? Did the 440s feel thinner than the LRAB kicks?

I did with Vans once I wore through a bunch of Duracap, but I fucking hated how grippy they were at the start. With more grip meant I had to be much more precise with my flicking foot placement and the board would flip faster. Just less controlled. With a good cup I can be less precise and focus more on the popping foot. I dunno how to describe it. With Half Cabs it seemed to wear off quicker and they fit my foot really really well. I'd gladly skate them again and keep a pair around.

I hated the LRABs. The grip and shit was fine but they were too high volume and just felt oddly baggy on my foot. That plus the grip from the vulc made it feel like my foot was sliding inside a shoe that wasn't moving. The quality is great, but at the time they were sold out a lot so I sold them for what I paid.

I honestly had never thought about any of this a whole lot until recently. I would just put on a shoe and always do the same thing, but after skating these for a while and a good skate pal making a remark about my flick being better and more consistent I was like "well shit why go back"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4558 on: September 12, 2022, 10:26:17 AM »
Okay so I got the package with the 306, 508 and 440. All in a US 7 because I have cute, weak feet.

Man this is comical to me because I fucking haaaaate how long the laces are for 440's in a US 10. I literally have to double knot them and they still flop and that is laced all the way to the top.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #4559 on: September 12, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man this is comical to me because I fucking haaaaate how long the laces are for 440's in a US 10. I literally have to double knot them and they still flop and that is laced all the way to the top.
Interestingly enough, the laces in my 440 Highs are perfect if I lace them up all the way. If I lace them up to one hole down, they're a little too long and floppy.