Author Topic: GX1000 Full Length in April  (Read 36095 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: GX1000 Full Length in April
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
Expand Quote
This was lit

[close]

is this in oakland ?

Yup. From checking out Google Street View, it was buffed up.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I wonder if "Gipper" ever had to end up fighting the GX guys like he said he was going to do if he couldn't skate those house spots anymore.
[close]
Do you think they are particularly tough? It wasn't a house spot if I remember correctly, but yeah, those dudes brattiness definitely brings unnecessary heat to street skating.

Interestingly, I was just about to post about how stupid and selfish those guys are. My favorite part of the video is where the lady at that house takes the dude's board and starts swinging it at him, and clearly using their lines against them "there wasn't a sign that said I couldn't take it" hahahaha. That lady was rad.

Does anybody else feel like these dudes have a heavy feeling of compensating from spending too much time in the suburbs growing up, and now they want to act like super-urban tough guys?

Holy FUCK! You create an entire thread complaining that they checked boards at the adidas premiere that you drove to, saying that we as skateboarders shouldn't be ashamed of doing crazy shit with our boards and what the fuck ever... then you come in here and bitch about the exact shit you were defending in that thread. You crazy as hell my dude

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »
My point was that people can be trusted with skateboards, not that all the stupid shit people said would happen was fine. I also don't s oee how saying drinking a beer or holding your skateboard is ok is the same thing as saying its cool to blow up spots by fighting with everybody over a trick. Just come back later man.
The video overall is rad and I think everybody should buy it, but that part was embarassing.

And I guess I stand corrected on the overcompensating for suburban life, though I have no clue what the fuck lakeland is.

and even though the point definitely is unrelated, those supreme kids go to boarding schools, not charter schools. Charter schools are free to everybody, boarding schools are nowhere near it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

shit_for_brains

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »
My point was that people can be trusted with skateboards, not that all the stupid shit people said would happen was fine. I also don't s oee how saying drinking a beer or holding your skateboard is ok is the same thing as saying its cool to blow up spots by fighting with everybody over a trick. Just come back later man.
The video overall is rad and I think everybody should buy it, but that part was embarassing.

And I guess I stand corrected on the overcompensating for suburban life, though I have no clue what the fuck lakeland is.

and even though the point definitely is unrelated, those supreme kids go to boarding schools, not charter schools. Charter schools are free to everybody, boarding schools are nowhere near it.

It used to be a place to get gas between Disney World in Orlando and doing gross swinger shit on a boat in Tampa, but now it's a place to get gas with a good skatepark. Burt Reynolds might die there.

Toydivision

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2016, 01:03:46 AM »
They're not selling any copies in my country, and the cheapest price including shipping is like $50. Fuck, I'm never going to be able to watch this :(

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »
Best video of his year yet. So much gnarlyness condensated into 30 mins of film. I had my heart pumping like crazy in some of those clips. Loved how raw it was, I didnt mind the edgyness of it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tomatofeet

• Rep: 1
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2016, 12:48:45 PM »
Left me pretty much speechless and with sweaty palms after watching this. This might be the best video I've watched in 20 years.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »
Sometimes i think some of that hijinx stuff in the GX videos are fake, some of them are just too perfect. In the old video where Yonnie almost gets hit by the car and the everything is chill then the girl starts yelling at ya boy with camera, just seemed like bad acting to me. It wouldn't be that hard to time having a car come around the corner as someone lands a trick. The other one that seemed fake to me in the old video was the one where he's filming the line and the dude bails and a perfectly timed Prius drives up and he skitches down the street on it. Yonnie running from the cop was def a little suspect to me, the cop wasnt even wearing a regular uniform, it would pretty simple to fake one of the homies wearing a bad ge around his neck and some tatical boots.

truizzm

« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
Sometimes i think some of that hijinx stuff in the GX videos are fake, some of them are just too perfect. In the old video where Yonnie almost gets hit by the car and the everything is chill then the girl starts yelling at ya boy with camera, just seemed like bad acting to me. It wouldn't be that hard to time having a car come around the corner as someone lands a trick. The other one that seemed fake to me in the old video was the one where he's filming the line and the dude bails and a perfectly timed Prius drives up and he skitches down the street on it. Yonnie running from the cop was def a little suspect to me, the cop wasnt even wearing a regular uniform, it would pretty simple to fake one of the homies wearing a bad ge around his neck and some tatical boots.

You aren't crazy, the new undercover cop scene and atleast one of the others you just mentioned were faked.

Such

« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »
link? i nearly lost all faith in skateboarding after watching awaydays.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It used to be a place to get gas between Disney World in Orlando and doing gross swinger shit on a boat in Tampa, but now it's a place to get gas with a good skatepark. Burt Reynolds might die there.
So....not urban at all, not a city at all. And after rereading, the person I am responding to claimed many lived "near" a city, for the record, that is literally the definition of a suburb:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suburb

I don't mean they are country, I mean they remind me of the kids who think suburbs are for living, and cities are for playing, and don't acknowledge or respect the communities that exist there as they think of the communities as playgrounds, not places where people live and grow. Obviously, skateboarding is going to view cities as playgrounds in some ways by definition, but they do it in an obnoxious entitled way, you can acknowledge that you are playing in a community without denying its existence- when I get the boot, I know I'm breaking laws and all that, and move on. Usually I'll even throw in a sorry, thank you, or have a nice day. When they get the boot they act as if the person booting them has no right to do so, it just comes off as insanely bratty.

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
say what you will about the hijinx and immature behaviour, this video is fucking rad.

far better representation of how i feel about and what i get from street skating than anything mega corps put out...

those hill bombs get your heart rate up just sitting here watching; to a far greater extent than away days, makes me want to go skate.

it's kinda funny that between the dime video and this, these kinda low budget homie videos are putting big budget shit to shame, as far as i'm concerned... representing skate culture in it's truest, gnarliest form.

i love you can feel it in your feet when you watch someone start to get speed wobble on a hill bomb.

[close]

i think its a money thing as far as the videos Like when a big company throws money down they either expect it a certain way or the filmer looks at it like fuck i have all this pressure on me let me make it worth while as opposed to a homie video you have time and can make something the way you want

for real that's a big part of it... money and the expectations of those who provide the money.

and just as you're saying here, with the homie video -they're making it the way they want... adidas is also making it the way they want, the difference is that the two different camps want different things.

i feel like, maybe, the homie videos are all about putting out something that gets people hyped to skate, that they feel good about seeing themselves in, that represents their scene and their people; meanwhile, the corporate videos are treated more like promotional materials for their product and subsequently also their team...

away days feels so dispassionate by comparison, and i think this is the perfect analogy for the comparison between corporate and so-called 'core' sides of the industry.

yeah, there is some incredibly impressive skating in away days, but on the whole, the video is a bit of a fragmented, try-hard bore. 

GX has vision because the people behind it are either actual skaters who hang out and skate by choice (not by way of obligatory sponsorship tours and shit) or are actually stoked on skating, not just trying to bite off a chunk of a hot market.

regardless of all that, the video is fucking rad, with a shit tonne of replay value.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »
That's BS Gip and you know it.  As a skateboarder, EVERYTHING is viewed as a playground.  Suburb/City/Natural Surroundings, etc.  That's what makes us skateboarders.  People go to Moab or Arches and see cool rock formations.  We see natural transition.  Normal people see staircases as places to go up and down.  We look at them as a gap or a rail.  Whether we're actually skating or not.  Shit, I've been to Sri Lanka, Honduras and places where I didn't have my board.  3rd world countries.  And I still looked at EVERYTHING as a playground.  

And if people are cool, then they get treated with respect, like you said.  But that doesn't make for good video footage.  People wanna see the dumb shit.  It sells and you know this.  What did the puke scene in Fucktards have to do with anything?  It didn't, but it was good footage that evokes a reaction and leaves you with a crazy memory.  But if it was 5 minutes of them just drinking an NOT puking, it wouldn't have the shock value.  
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
You are an idiot and didn't get what I was saying at all. To rephrase:
Skateboarders treat spots like A playground that they aren't supposed to play on but do anyway.
These guys treat spots like THEIR PERSONAL playground, and start shit with old ladies when they get kicked out.
Its an issue of entitlement and attitude not action.
If you still don't get it, just understand that first point that you are an idiot.
Oh, and I bet I've skated far more house spots in SF while you just sit there pretending you know what its like to skate here. You are speaking hypothetical as somebody who doesn't actually skate here, I'm talking from experience as a skateboarder who regularly does- if you come out here, and you skate spots like that, don't act like them when you get the boot. They only get a pass because they rip.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2016, 03:53:37 PM »
You are an idiot and didn't get what I was saying at all. To rephrase:
Skateboarders treat spots like A playground that they aren't supposed to play on but do anyway.
These guys treat spots like THEIR PERSONAL playground, and start shit with old ladies when they get kicked out.
Its an issue of entitlement and attitude not action.
If you still don't get it, just understand that first point that you are an idiot.
Oh, and I bet I've skated far more house spots in SF while you just sit there pretending you know what its like to skate here. You are speaking hypothetical as somebody who doesn't actually skate here, I'm talking from experience as a skateboarder who regularly does- if you come out here, and you skate spots like that, don't act like them when you get the boot. They only get a pass because they rip.

you think that because you're a school teacher that everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.  well FUCK YOU, you self entitled piece of shit. you're don't know shit about me, where I live or anything.  you take what people say and turn it around and make it a personal attack on people.  THAT'S FUCKED.  You're 10x the piece of shit you think the GX dudes are.  You wanna refute what I said? Do that - cause you don't know shit about me on a personal level.  I've lived and skated in SF for a long fuckin time and know plenty about behind the scenes shit you wish you knew (so who's speaking hypothetically now???).  Stick to being a school teacher and contradictory statements about how you got to a video premier.  I'd call you an idiot and talk shit about what you do but you're a teacher, and as the child of educators, I understand the importance of them.  Also, I have this thing called CHARACTER - but you wouldn't know anything about that, integrity or any other qualities that make a decent person. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2016, 04:01:58 PM »
I don't think your an idiot because I'm a teacher. I think your an idiot because you think that has something to do with it, and all of the other similarly stupid shit you say. Simmer down, did I hit a nerve?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
I don't think your an idiot because I'm a teacher. I think your an idiot because you think that has something to do with it, and all of the other similarly stupid shit you say. Simmer down, did I hit a nerve?

You hit a nerve because you always have to make it personal, and you clearly don't know anything about me, yet proceeded to judge me as some hayseed that don't know shit about SF.  I'm an adult, as you are.  There's such thing as having a different view or opinion.  That doesn't make me an idiot.  And honestly, what other stupid shit have I said?  I don't get into it with you like all these other people simply for arguments sake.  I merely made the point that these dudes film themselves being assholes because it's shock value.  We've all been to spots we shouldn't skate.  If the people ask me to leave, I leave.  If they come out hot and start calling me an asshole or pushing me, I'm not backing down and I'll tell people how I feel.  That simple.  I'm not defending them or attacking them.  Shock value sells, you know that.  Being nice to adults asking you to leave doesn't make good footage.  Thats why they tape all that shit. 

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »

Well the Prius skitch one WAS fake. That was James colemans car.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
Awaiting this DVD to arrive in my mailbox so I can respond here with a three quarter chub

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »
pardon, at minimum a three quarter chub

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You hit a nerve because you always have to make it personal, and you clearly don't know anything about me, yet proceeded to judge me as some hayseed that don't know shit about SF.  I'm an adult, as you are.  There's such thing as having a different view or opinion.  That doesn't make me an idiot.  And honestly, what other stupid shit have I said?  I don't get into it with you like all these other people simply for arguments sake.  I merely made the point that these dudes film themselves being assholes because it's shock value.  We've all been to spots we shouldn't skate.  If the people ask me to leave, I leave.  If they come out hot and start calling me an asshole or pushing me, I'm not backing down and I'll tell people how I feel.  That simple.  I'm not defending them or attacking them.  Shock value sells, you know that.  Being nice to adults asking you to leave doesn't make good footage.  Thats why they tape all that shit. 

Why are you argueing with Gipper? Even if you give all the arguments in this earth it will be useless. He will always win in his mind and downgrade your opinion because he thinks everyone is a idiot but him. I already learnt that lesson.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You aren't crazy, the new undercover cop scene and atleast one of the others you just mentioned were faked.

This made me sad :(
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

yohimbe718

• Rep: -2
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »
Video was gritty in a perfect way. Idk how JJ switch no complys street gaps and bump to bars, his clips were my favorites. If you are bitching in this thread about their antics quit being a kook.

Their antics seem pretty normal coming from my era (early to mid nineties). Skaters have been getting antagonized and shit on forever by society (old ladies included).. who cares if we antagonize back a little bit. I used to get shit thrown at me when I was younger. But now that everyone is PC and skaters are considered to be "cool" they've lost their edge.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This made me sad :(
The hillbombs are CGI. They're actually rolling down the hallways of an office in Palo Alto covered in greenscreen. Any "speed" or "danger" the viewer perceives is merely the work of some underpaid, overworked VFX intern.

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2016, 12:22:49 AM »
I don't think your an idiot because I'm a teacher.

:D

On a side note, I agree with Gip's points.  I hate when skaters act as if they're entitled to skate on other peoples' property and throw a fit when asked to leave.  Has that ever gotten anyone anywhere before?(legitimate question if anyone has examples)  The whole car skating fad embodied this idea to the nth degree, simply having no respect for others' property.  I'm down to wax ledges and skate wherever but if someone asks you to leave, just leave and come back at a better time.  Don't really know how much this stuff plays into the video, just commenting on the idea.  Seems like these dudes rip in this video so I'll have to check it out.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

jsef

• Rep: -1
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2016, 08:08:11 AM »
You guys are all wrong, their actions are obviously based on the profound study of Henri Lefebvre's work, which gives them the theoretical background to make the city their own.  Now to validate that hypothesis I'd really like to do some proper media research

Grampa

• Rep: 150
« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Video was gritty in a perfect way. Idk how JJ switch no complys street gaps and bump to bars, his clips were my favorites. If you are bitching in this thread about their antics quit being a kook.
[close]

Their antics seem pretty normal coming from my era (early to mid nineties). Skaters have been getting antagonized and shit on forever by society (old ladies included).. who cares if we antagonize back a little bit. I used to get shit thrown at me when I was younger. But now that everyone is PC and skaters are considered to be "cool" they've lost their edge.

You mean your era when you were (presumably) a teenager? Teenagers are supposed to be little shitheads. They still are. Watch Illegal Civilization. It's not about being PC. It's about not being a pathetic 30 year old still acting like a teenager. The secondhand embarrassment I felt from watching this video was astonishing. It's not "edgy". It's embarrassing. Sorta like biker gangs. Man children cool in their own minds and that's it. What's more, is these dudes are nothing but hipster transplants on staycaction acting like they own their new city. May as well open an artisanal urban cupcake shop/ petting zoo. Same pathetic entitled attitude of "this is our city now".

Just to reiterate, since people seem kinda thick. It's not about being right or wrong or PC or whatever. It's about 30 year old man children being pathetic and, clearly, a lot of people who are either really young or easily impressed thinking its edgy or cool. The fact that they're possibly staging any of the antics is laughable. Holy shit.

yohimbe718

• Rep: -2
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You mean your era when you were (presumably) a teenager? Teenagers are supposed to be little shitheads. They still are. Watch Illegal Civilization. It's not about being PC. It's about not being a pathetic 30 year old still acting like a teenager. The secondhand embarrassment I felt from watching this video was astonishing. It's not "edgy". It's embarrassing. Sorta like biker gangs. Man children cool in their own minds and that's it. What's more, is these dudes are nothing but hipster transplants on staycaction acting like they own their new city. May as well open an artisanal urban cupcake shop/ petting zoo. Same pathetic entitled attitude of "this is our city now".

Just to reiterate, since people seem kinda thick. It's not about being right or wrong or PC or whatever. It's about 30 year old man children being pathetic and, clearly, a lot of people who are either really young or easily impressed thinking its edgy or cool. The fact that they're possibly staging any of the antics is laughable. Holy shit.

Oh come on. What did they do that was that bad? They snatched a piece of paper out of a lady's hand. They ran from a cop. Did they physically hurt anyone? And I was in my early twenties and I did worse because people suck. What else? They tripped over some guys foot. Did you think they really didn't want to skate some of those spots? They just did for the confrontation? Get over yourself.. People are dicks to skaters so naturally skaters ate going to be dicks right back and it's never going to be right in the moment. It might be after the third or fourth time someone is an asshole. How about this... Fuck society and Fuck conforming to it because you're afraid of what people will think. You were embarrassed??? Nobody cares if you were embarrassed.. Quit skateboarding if you're so ashamed you uppity Fuck.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh come on. What did they do that was that bad? They snatched a piece of paper out of a lady's hand. They ran from a cop. Did they physically hurt anyone? And I was in my early twenties and I did worse because people suck. What else? They tripped over some guys foot. Did you think they really didn't want to skate some of those spots? They just did for the confrontation? Get over yourself.. People are dicks to skaters so naturally skaters ate going to be dicks right back and it's never going to be right in the moment. It might be after the third or fourth time someone is an asshole. How about this... Fuck society and Fuck conforming to it because you're afraid of what people will think. You were embarrassed??? Nobody cares if you were embarrassed.. Quit skateboarding if you're so ashamed you uppity Fuck.
HEY! Whilst I agree with you about parts of this you don't speak to Grampa like that! He's old and deserves respect for being old and his joke about artisanal urban cupcakes made me giggle.

Grampa

• Rep: 150
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahah "fuck society". Now I'm embarrassed for you!