Author Topic: I'm concerned Phelps may be a hypocrite  (Read 15838 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: I'm concerned Phelps may be a hypocrite
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »
Thrasher blows, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
It's been many moons, but I remember a story floating around that D.Gonz told Thee Gonz that he was 'the new Gonzales in skateboarding'. Joking or not it's ridiculous that something like that could escape someones lips.
[close]

I heard that too actually.
I could be wrong but I'm almost 99% sure I saw Danny Gonzalez in a commercial a few years ago.  Did anyone else here catch that?   I can't remember what the commercial was for though, but I know it wasn't a skateboarding advertisement.

EDIT:  Sorry I didn't see that one post before about the Jenkem interview

That's soooo Gonzalez.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You shouldn't be concerned about phelps in the first place.
[close]

What should I be concerned with?
[close]

I don't know, maybe you know him? you should always be concerned about your friends, or something that could improve your life?
[close]

You're posting on a skateboard message board just like me bud.  Get off your high horse
[close]

Missed the point. Worry about what Phelps does isn't gonna do anything for you or him. Concern yourself with things that you can change for yourself.

Expand Quote
I'm concerned that Phelps has been on a Quaalude bender for about two decades straight now, melon grabs be damned.

Dude is like a wet noodle with glasses.
(Still like him though)
[close]

You might actually be onto something with that.
[close]

And here you are worrying about me

I'm bored at work. What's your excuse?

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't know, maybe you know him? you should always be concerned about your friends, or something that could improve your life?
[close]

You're posting on a skateboard message board just like me bud.  Get off your high horse
[close]

Missed the point. Worry about what Phelps does isn't gonna do anything for you or him. Concern yourself with things that you can change for yourself.

Expand Quote
I'm concerned that Phelps has been on a Quaalude bender for about two decades straight now, melon grabs be damned.

(Still like him though)
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same.  So looks like we both worry about things that in no way improve our lives while at work.... Seems like we should be buds

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

(Still like him though)
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Same.  So looks like we both worry about things that in no way improve our lives while at work.... Seems like we should be buds

I thought we were all buds on here but let's do it!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't he say Danny Gonzalez kick flip down Wallenberg didn't count because of the grab yet Jaws grab down the Lyons set makes the cover of Thrasher??? Doesn't add up... If you can't do the math on that one I don't know what to tell you.
[close]

And he clowned Kasper for wearing invisible pads at a Wallenberg jam too.
[close]

what about the Neil Smith incident at wallenberg where Phelps did not let Neil skate the comp because he was on blueprint or something and back then phelps had never heard of them yet.
Neil Smith is this kid here 
props
I was there, your story is bullshit, and this is why Phelps is actually cooler than people want to admit.
Lets start here: HE HAD NO FUCKING CHANCE OF LANDING THAT NOLLIE HEEL. That's why he got cut. Its because people who actually had a chance at landing it had to wait for that clown to throw his body down a gap and make some vague nollie heel motion with his feet instead of them actually being able to go during a time limited session.
After he got cut (something I was hoping would happen) he walked off to the side and started having some 2 year old baby tantrum about how Phelps wouldn't let him do it. You want your chance to do it? Prove you have a chance to land it. Sure, Phelps wasn't particularly delicate when he broke it to him, but the fact is, nice or mean, reality is what it is.

Now, this is what makes Phelps kinda cool for being a dickhead. Do you really want everybody to have that fake "we are the world" perspective? Do you really think anybody thinks everything and everybody is good? That ain't real, and Phelps ain't fake. If you are blowing it, he isn't some ESPN guy telling the audience just how talented the skater is and how hard the trick he is doing is, he's the guy who's gonna say "Your blowing it, get the fuck out of my contest."
He has opinions.
He doesn't pretend to be impartial.
He isn't everybody's cheerleader.
You are SUPPOSED to think he's an asshole sometimes.
I'm not saying he's the coolest guy ever, but at least he's interesting, and at least he has opinions to agree/disagree with.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »
a lot of people may hate Gipper (much like many people hate Phelps), BUT everything in the above statement is spot on.  I was at Wallenburg too, and that kid really had no chance of landing that.  And there was A LOT of people that were there that COULD do shit down that set, so I understood why the herd was thinned.  Love 'em or hate him, he's not gonna BS you and in this day and age in skateboarding, that's a rare quality. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't he say Danny Gonzalez kick flip down Wallenberg didn't count because of the grab yet Jaws grab down the Lyons set makes the cover of Thrasher??? Doesn't add up... If you can't do the math on that one I don't know what to tell you.
[close]

[close]

what about the Neil Smith incident at wallenberg where Phelps did not let Neil skate the comp because he was on blueprint or something and back then phelps had never heard of them yet.
props
[close]
I was there, your story is bullshit, and this is why Phelps is actually cooler than people want to admit.
Lets start here: HE HAD NO FUCKING CHANCE OF LANDING THAT NOLLIE HEEL. That's why he got cut. Its because people who actually had a chance at landing it had to wait for that clown to throw his body down a gap and make some vague nollie heel motion with his feet instead of them actually being able to go during a time limited session.
After he got cut (something I was hoping would happen) he walked off to the side and started having some 2 year old baby tantrum about how Phelps wouldn't let him do it. You want your chance to do it? Prove you have a chance to land it. Sure, Phelps wasn't particularly delicate when he broke it to him, but the fact is, nice or mean, reality is what it is.

Now, this is what makes Phelps kinda cool for being a dickhead. Do you really want everybody to have that fake "we are the world" perspective? Do you really think anybody thinks everything and everybody is good? That ain't real, and Phelps ain't fake. If you are blowing it, he isn't some ESPN guy telling the audience just how talented the skater is and how hard the trick he is doing is, he's the guy who's gonna say "Your blowing it, get the fuck out of my contest."
He has opinions.
I'm not saying he's the coolest guy ever, but at least he's interesting, and at least he has opinions to agree/disagree with.

I guess he really is the skater's skater huh..

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
I have the feeling that Phelps would make me break into tears.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
   So we need Phelps to have good contests?   Well thats fine cause fuck contests.  Any skate event with a some guy on a mic is total shit.  Just skate.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

but I think he'd make you feel welcome at the same time?

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 61
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"Drop in or GTFO"

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"Drop in or GTFO"

I love that that eventually caught up to him in the worst way.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

props
[close]

He has opinions.

I agree with the Gipper and in fact Phelps is super cool. I love the Reynolds Vice clip...this one:

]Skateboarding with Andrew Reynolds

At the end at 7:19 the Phelps moment is a favorite of mine.

Phelps: Who is the Boss ? The Boss.
ODell: What about Terry Kennedy ?
Phelps: Who ? I dont know.
ODell: How do you describe Jason Dill ?
Phelps (excited): Jasson Jesse is a great skateboarder.

Phelps is fucking awesome; he really is...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
Phelps is fucking awesome; he really is ???

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

props
[close]

He has opinions.

I wasn't there but IIRC the footage made it look like Dyet wasn't landing shit and going over and over. Difference was Dyet has just appeared in a Thrasher video.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

props
[close]

He has opinions.

yeah dude, i wasn't there and all i know about the incident comes from the internet and general discussions between heads in the uk. i just remember that all my mates were quite pissed by the incident and considering that Neil Smith was at the time one of the biggest skaters in the uk (and was actually really good) it seemed obvious that Phelps was just being a dick. Now i got a second opinion by someone who was actualy there so i can ease my hate a bit. thanks
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »
a lot of people may hate Gipper (much like many people hate Phelps), BUT everything in the above statement is spot on.  I was at Wallenburg too, and that kid really had no chance of landing that.  And there was A LOT of people that were there that COULD do shit down that set, so I understood why the herd was thinned.  Love 'em or hate him, he's not gonna BS you and in this day and age in skateboarding, that's a rare quality. 

Was this rule told to everyone who entered? who's decision was it?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was this rule told to everyone who entered? who's decision was it?

it wasn't a "rule" per se.  whose decision?  Thrasher's decision.  They secured the permits, they paid for everything, it was THEIR contest, and they can pretty much do whatever they want, as far as saying who can and can't skate it.  It's not like people "entered" as you say, or paid a contest fee and then weren't able to skate it. if you're fuckin around trying something you can't do, you're taking time away from the people that actually CAN do shit down it.  It wasn't personal, otherwise a dude like Andrew Pott probably would've gotten the boot too, but he actually was coming close to what he was trying and therefore was allowed to keep trying. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
All i know is lil wayne has more pop than phelps ever has and he cant ollie

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
Phelps skates tranny.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2016, 04:50:54 PM »
Phelps skates tranny.

inb4 this ^^^ gets requoted

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

props
[close]

He has opinions.
[close]

I wasn't there but IIRC the footage made it look like Dyet wasn't landing shit and going over and over. Difference was Dyet has just appeared in a Thrasher video.
I think he was at least coming close to something.

Really, if you want to get mad at Phelps for something he did that day, it was pretty dick to slap the board right out from under Kevin Romar's feet because he thought varial flips are lame. Of course, varial flips ARE lame.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
Varial flips are cooler than Kevin Romar, though.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Phelps skates tranny.
yeah i know but how can u have such a strong opinion on street skating when u cant do it

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2016, 07:22:36 PM »
Varial flips are cooler than Kevin Romar, though.

How is Kevin Romar a professional skateboarder?  Discuss ::)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
I really enjoyed Phelps' article "Party's Over" in the latest issue of Thrasher.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Bonefish

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
did it read like a suicide note?