Author Topic: Deck sizing chart  (Read 2609 times)

Gunner Down

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Deck sizing chart
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:32:08 AM »
Hey Slap Pals,

Over here at Element, Plan B & Hard Luck we're working on shape cards for our boards. We've done it in the past with our shapes 1-20 and are working on updating them with new shapes and expanding to almost 50 shapes (different factories, wheel base, technology..etc). We've been talking with local shops but wanted to get some input from you guys.

Right now the shape cards give full detail of the board (width, length, wheelbase, nose, tail, technology, factory) Would you rather have all that information or just width and wheelbase?

Any input is welcome.

BMCsteve

Re: Deck sizing chart
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »
Hey Slap Pals,

Over here at Element, Plan B & Hard Luck we're working on shape cards for our boards. We've done it in the past with our shapes 1-20 and are working on updating them with new shapes and expanding to almost 50 shapes (different factories, wheel base, technology..etc). We've been talking with local shops but wanted to get some input from you guys.

Right now the shape cards give full detail of the board (width, length, wheelbase, nose, tail, technology, factory) Would you rather have all that information or just width and wheelbase?

Any input is welcome.

THANK YOU for doing this.  It's been discussed dozens of times here that all companies should do this or something similar.  I'm pretty sure most of us would want the full detail.  Also important would be to have a shape chart somewhere online and ask retailers to include the shape number if they are an online retailer

I still can't believe everyone doesn't already do this.  It seems like it would only help with sales

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »
All the info.

Thank you!

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:53:23 AM »
The more information the better. If information is unavailable, I search for it online and if I can't find it, I don't buy the board because I don't like gambling my money like that.

Gunner Down

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
Thanks for the input! What factory do you guys think is the best? PS Stix, PGI, Bear Back or something else? The more info you give me the better we can do.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
All the info is great....but it would be sick if it even became standard practice to stamp width, length, w/b, nose and tail on each deck.  

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
The more info the better, especially with:

• Accurate measurements - tell us how you measure, across the top/edge to edge, with or without contour, etc.
  • Wheel base, again, center of holes or edge
  • Shape Chart
  • Concave depth: Mellow/Medium/deep
  • Tail and nose I can live without, we all know tails are shorter these days with bigger noses
  • Woodshop
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:53:13 AM by Xen »

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
That will be awesome, specially for me because I buy everything online and I can't go asking the shops about the shape, wheelbase... every time I need a deck

Gunner Down

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
Do you guys want boards to have a shape number associated with it or just having the dimensions of the board good enough?

"Can i get a 7.75 with a 14.25 wheel base?"

or

"Can i get a shape #7 Element board?" 

glutton.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
Do you guys want boards to have a shape number associated with it or just having the dimensions of the board good enough?

or

No one is going to say that. Also, you should stick with width, length and wheelbase. The majority of people who ride Element and Plan B are probably kids who don't really care. A couple years ago, I almost got a Ray Barbee board, that had a graphic of a robot dog or some shit on it, from the clearance for $25. Then, I realized it was Element so I ended up getting a some Polar board that was flat as fuck with one of the best noses ever...worth paying twice as much for a deck to support a better company.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »

or

"Can i get a shape #7 Element board?"�

Combo:

Shape #X | 8.28"x31.75" 14.35" WB

(Also, please make a board with those dimensions, with a bandaid shape ;).

Gunner Down

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote

or

[close]
No one is going to say that. Also, you should stick with width, length and wheelbase. The majority of people who ride Element and Plan B are probably kids who don't really care. A couple years ago, I almost got a Ray Barbee board, that had a graphic of a robot dog or some shit on it, from the clearance for $25. Then, I realized it was Element so I ended up getting a some Polar board that was flat as fuck with one of the best noses ever...worth paying twice as much for a deck to support a better company.

What's wrong with Element? A lot of the people on those other companies have asked to ride for Element. If you don't know, you don't know.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

What's wrong with Element? A lot of the people on those other companies have asked to ride for Element. If you don't know, you don't know.

I think they fell from grace when Howell left and there was the feeling of selling out when the brand felt more lifestyle than skate. Also, I think there is a bad rap with wood quality? I've never skated one, not even sure where/who makes them. Team-wise, if you can call it that, is a hodge-podge of great skaters.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:22:30 AM by Xen »

glutton.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

It's just resentment from the 2000s when that shit was in department and sporting goods stores. Shops still carried that shit because kids would eat it up and kids would pay $10 for one sheet of Bam griptape. Element definitely changed their image around in the past couple years and the team is awesome. Even though it's turning around, the company itself is kind of bland. Riding for a company is different than supporting it. If Nike/Element sponsored me, I would take their money just because they pay well. However, when I spend my hard-earned money, I rather buy a Quasi and some Hufs, so I can support those who actually make me want to go skate.

micky682

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

Use Generator/Bareback and less people will bag on Element.
P.S. Kicking Nyjah off the team would bring more respect to Element.

Gunner Down

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think they fell from grace when Howell left and there was the feeling of selling out when the brad felt more lifestyle than skate. Also, I think there is a bad rap with wood quality? I've never skated one, not even sure where/who makes them. Team-wise, if you can call it that, is a hodge-podge of great skaters.

Boards have always been made at PS Stix. We've ventured to BEARback for other options but for the most part every brand uses 1 of these two wood shops.

Gunner Down

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

[close]
It's just resentment from the 2000s when that shit was in department and sporting goods stores. Shops still carried that shit because kids would eat it up and kids would pay $10 for one sheet of Bam griptape. Element definitely changed their image around in the past couple years and the team is awesome. Even though it's turning around, the company itself is kind of bland. Riding for a company is different than supporting it. If Nike/Element sponsored me, I would take their money just because they pay well. However, when I spend my hard-earned money, I rather buy a Quasi and some Hufs, so I can support those who actually make me want to go skate.

I agree with a lot of the things you're saying but i also see the brands people like today in those same stores and even worse. I don't like seeing people tricked into buying anything. Our riders really love the brand. You can see it on their faces when they travel with us. The difference is knowing and not being told.

Gunner Down

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or

[close]
[close]

[close]
Use Generator/Bareback and less people will bag on Element.
P.S. Kicking Nyjah off the team would bring more respect to Element.

Knowledge is power. We already go through BB. Nyjah is a skate rat at heart. Pay attention to his skating and not his life.

Gunner Down

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
Back to sizing chart. Thank you to everyone for you're input. We'll see what we can come up with to help you guys find what's the best board for you.

N.L.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
Tail length is important to me at least. I got a few boards with sub 6.5" tails and it fucked me up.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:29 AM »

• Accurate measurements - tell us how you measure, across the top/edge to edge, with or without contour, etc.
  • Shape Chart
  • Tail and nose I can live without, we all know tails are shorter these days with bigger noses
  • Woodshop

YES especially these

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote

• Shape Chart
  • Woodshop
[close]

YES especially these

YES especially these

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
I would love something on there telling me whether or not the deck is gluten free. I've had trouble from Element in the past with this.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Eric ricks

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
Inbox me when you re issue andy stone and pepe boards.

Also, element fucked over jeremy wray so I hope you use the shittiest wood ever, credit card yourself and get splinters in your asshole.

Anyhow, yes all the info would be best. Hopefully this becomes industry standard

And yes on the band aid shape.

Find a adreneline matt reason deck and copy the shape/size

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
I had a Chris Hall back in 1993.  Not sure I've had an Element since.

I like Appleyard though.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
i honestly thought companies didn't put out accurate info to keep loyal customers. like if that 8.25 baker is your favorite shape, you're gonna buy it over any other board because you, may not know if a 8.25 almost is the exact same shape and rather not risk it.

but yeah, keep putting out as much shape info as possible

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 06:19:31 AM »

• Shape Chart
  • Woodshop

Concavity is the obvious one missing from the O.P. for me. And I prefer normal descriptions, not silly names like what Scumco calls theirs (bless their hearts otherwise). And not the word "Standard". Which is pretty vague.

Gunner Down

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 07:20:04 AM »
The trouble with concave is that it will always vary. Factories press multiple boards at a time so if you get a top board and then a bottom board they will be different. Back in the day we had riders that would only ride the middle deck. Some of the riders will look 50 decks just so they can pick out 5 to ride. There's a solution and i'll make sure to pass along the info. Keep the info coming. Open to hear anything.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
The trouble with concave is that it will always vary. Factories press multiple boards at a time so if you get a top board and then a bottom board they will be different. Back in the day we had riders that would only ride the middle deck. Some of the riders will look 50 decks just so they can pick out 5 to ride. There's a solution and i'll make sure to pass along the info. Keep the info coming. Open to hear anything.

Isn't that why Almost/Dwindle do the whole single deck at a time press?