Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 402114 times)

Jimbo Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
That Skateboard Mag article is nothing, but an Adidas advertisement. MJ looks even worse now.

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
Also Miles skating to Skepta was such a good choice.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
If the back 40 is a representation of his "ideas" unleashed then maybe he needs to keep his ideas to himself. Maybe its not so much that Lakai didn't give him the opportunity to make some of his ideas a reality and instead its that maybe your ideas suck Marc.....maybe its that. Also i wonder how long Adidas was coming after him since Carroll said years, i remember having the Marc Johnson 3 shoe and how it almost looked like an adidas campus shoe with the 2 stripes on the side.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
busenitz, SBN, and Suciu were my favourite parts.

also, my sig.

God damn
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
If the back 40 is a representation of his "ideas" unleashed then maybe he needs to keep his ideas to himself. Maybe its not so much that Lakai didn't give him the opportunity to make some of his ideas a reality and instead its that maybe your ideas suck Marc.....maybe its that. Also i wonder how long Adidas was coming after him since Carroll said years, i remember having the Marc Johnson 3 shoe and how it almost looked like an adidas campus shoe with the 2 stripes on the side.

When MJ 2 lakai first came out, even the stripes were thin to resemble adidas, later models had the bigger stripe pattern. (photo above)

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

theradone

• Rep: 4
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
Nestor Judkins is alternate timeline Clark Hassler where he takes his meds.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

Skateboard mag article behind Daewon and Marc's reasoning for joining adidas
[close]

Heated:

When it comes to Marc's reasons for leaving Lakai (and joining adidas, which now has the highest percentage of "Marks" per capita), he plainly isn't concerned with the backlash. The understanding is that people will come to their own conclusions, with the simplest explanation being overwhelmingly popular (the ubiquitous "money talks" popping up on the message boards) and so rudimentary that it highlights how truly ignorant the commentators are. "You know what? Don't make a judgment until you really understand the facts about why somebody would leave a company they were with for fifteen-twenty years," Marc says. "Maybe do a little digging. 'Cause it's a good thing."
[close]

Well Mike dug up some stuff... What do you have to say now Marc?

[close]

Yep, my thoughts exactly.� It's hilarious that he's saying that people need to do their research as if people not in the skate industry can find out what's going on behind the scenes with 5 minutes of Googling.

Also, I guess we are at that point where official responses and press releases are getting released when people change teams.� That TSM piece is the most "corporate standard" piece I could have thought to write while trying too hard not to make that obvious.� Notice how there was no by-line?� It is exactly something that Berra would approve or push people to put out.
Exactly. One reason I come to these boards is to try to get a pebble of truth about what is happening in the skate industry. I parse through the unreliable comments and take some stock in what posters who are reliable or seem to know what they are talking about say. Even those, I take with a grain of salt. If Marc wanted to explain his reasons explicitly, I wouldn't have to do any of this. I'd love to be able to research the reasons he left and get objective, reliable information, but I can't.

I think one of the reasons people come to this board is because so much is in the dark with skating. It's not even common knowledge how much an average skater makes a year, which is actually sort of crazy. I can't really even think of a field where this information is so tightly controlled. Especially one that produces so many public figures. Skaters are also incredibly opaque about things in interviews. So, people that are really into skating speculate, makes complete sense.

I think it's awesome how straightforward Mike Carroll was about all of this. I hope Marc Johnson does the same thing.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »
There's always a chance that MJ didnt know (about the announcement) until the day after he talked to Mike. Or what if his telephone wires were getting crossed or something and that's y he missed mikes calls. :o :o :o :o :o :o
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
If Marc hasn't fell off the wagon recently (as hinted) he definitely has after today.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
GNARLY!!!! Almost slept on slap today. Glad I decided to lurk.

Anyhow, I thought Mike was going to talk about the current state of affairs and not focus in on people, MJ in particular. The Jenkem article just left me wanting to know more about his thoughts on the crailtap state affairs following Fully Flare to present. So many riders started getting poached right away and it hasn't stopped since.

We need to know about Biebel and Guy (Him not even acknowledging Guy after Jenkem clearly addresses Guy and Koston is quite suspicious).

MJ, you are  one of my favorite skaters. I never thought any of your skits or your back40 vignettes were funny, however, I look forward to watching you in the next Palace, Almost, or Enjoy video in the near future. I also stopped following the back40 months ago. Just thought to let you know, in case you are reading this.........

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
mj is a bitch for being so boldly against sports companies then riding for one. pretty weak.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Weird times we're living in. Lose my job, girlfriends dad gets divorced, girlfriends brother goes on a rampage, trump might be president, the dopest company of my childhood is imploding, and MJ is on a huge sports company and done broke my heart. When will this end?

Still trying to get over Koston being a fucking kook.

Fuuuuuhhhhhhhhh.

Video was good though.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Let's not forget.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:07 PM »
Et Tu Brute?

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:48 PM »
"The girlfriend-from-hell analogy rings true for Marc, and he gets a little more specific. "At some point the bullshit wears thin. You've got ideas, and when you outrun the company and you've got all these ideas and the company can't keep up? It's ridiculous," Marc says. "You just talk to somebody who's willing to do these projects, [someone] who is progressive."

He's going to be so happy to be unshackled from the ridged bounds of Lakai to the laid back homie vibe of the adidas where he will be free to guide the ship.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
Damn that TSM "interview" sounded like some Adidas guy wrote a press release to try to cover their asses. This is a legit shitshow.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
Done with Daewon too. He should not be exempt from the shade.

You take that back >:( Daewon gets a full pass imo
Here's why: dude never ran his mouth about corpo shoe companies, always let his skating do the talking, is modest as they come AND was loyal as FUCK to some wack-arse sponsors for 15+ years (is he still on tensor?). Daewon is THE contender for G.O.A.T; dude should make millions based on his insta clips alone. Get that scrilla Dae, you've earned it 5 times over!

When MJ 2 lakai first came out, even the stripes were thin to resemble adidas, later models had the bigger stripe pattern. (photo above)

That was until adidas threatened a law suit against lakai. #irony
Look, we all know Marc has liked the adidas aesthetic, and even skated in them throughout most of his parts, for as long as most of us can remember and that is fine. I mean I love Drake Jones as much as the next person! BUT there's a way to go about this, especially with people friends who backed him and his skating for so long.
Anyway, he can say what he likes about the whole fiasco, I doubt anyone will take him seriously after this recent turn of events.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:36:31 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Haven't posted in over 2 1/2 years but this gets the old retirement post out.

Holy fuck. Carroll beasted that interview, one of the most savage interviews in memory. Extremely shady of MJ if it all went down how MC said. Interested to see a followup interview.

It does hurt seeing Lakai and crailtap struggling

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ahahah man so funny. I really hope Carroll sees this.

So, who is going to post it on IG and tag Marc? Shit is too funny!

Also, I'm interested to see where he ends up board sponsorwis. Kookston and Guy's new project (if it ever happens)?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:33:50 PM by busted-knee »

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »
I guess Jerry Hsu will be off Chocolate soon aswell then

Maple , A team , Enjoi ,and now Chocolate

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »
Marc's quotes in that little adidas piece are irrelevant to this ordeal. It's not THAT he left, it's HOW he left.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ahahah man so funny. I really hope Carroll sees this.
[close]

So, who is going to post it on IG and tag Marc? Shit is too funny!

Also, I'm interested to see where he ends up board sponsorwis. Kookston and Guy's new project (if it ever happens)?

This seems like a job for Toby.

sms_b

« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
holy, what interesting times.

my thoughts (who fucking cares):

1: Mike Carroll is the reason anybody gets to have a skateboarding career throughout their 40s.

2: MJ is a fucking out of towner KOOK.

all in all, here's my last observation ...

WAY TO FUCKING GO GROWN ASS MEN, nice industry you've created for yourselves.

Oh, and to Adidas - I happily stole your shit.

MFLUDER

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
Who cares, MJ and Daewon are over the hill. Like Manchester United trying to buy Ibrahimovic, clawing a bit of dying talent and credibility to an otherwise boring mega corp, let em cash out I say. Also Marc Johnson being dumb as a post is no surprise either I don't think he's the skate prophet some profess him to be.

other2

« Reply #384 on: May 17, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
If Carroll calls you out for being a kook you better believe it.

Bringing back that old EMB vibe.

Always have and always will back Crailtap.

too much

« Reply #385 on: May 17, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #386 on: May 17, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
MJ and Daewon are over the hill.

Pity both of them are actually still progressing though (with Daewon headed to become fucking Yoda at this point) ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #387 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:54 PM »
For the Karsten part of the interview, here is a mega rough translation from this article: http://www.playboard.no/karsten-kleppan-har-fatt-ny-skosponsor
Q: Why did you change from Lakai to Nike SB?
A: Bla bla it'sstupid to change sponsor when you're supposed to film a Lakai part, but the communication with the Lakai USA dudes wasn't on point and I wasn't really satisfied with that and bummed because of it. They put me on the AM team and all of that, but when Nike came with the offer they did I just couldn't say no. I've been skating for Lakai for a couple of years and sometimes you need a change.

I remember when he put out that Lakai part, and got on the team. He had no idea if he was officially on the EU team or the USA team. I have no idea how long it took for them to actually break a deal with him, but Mike Carroll posted a clip from his part way before he knew anything (that he was willing to share with friends anyway...).

I like Carroll, but he seems like ones of those guys that get really, really fucking pissed when someones changes from one of his sponsors.. I remember him even deleting the Karsten welcome clip off his Insta when Karsten left for Nike...

*as a note, this is how I remember it and not probably 100% accurate.

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:37 AM »
Haven't posted in over 2 1/2 years but this gets the old retirement post out.

Holy fuck. Carroll beasted that interview, one of the most savage interviews in memory. Extremely shady of MJ if it all went down how MC said. Interested to see a followup interview.

It does hurt seeing Lakai and crailtap struggling

Same here - I had a hard time figuring out how to login...
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 61
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2016, 01:36:16 AM »
Marc's quotes in that little adidas piece are irrelevant to this ordeal. It's not THAT he left, it's HOW he left.

^^^