Author Topic: Trigger Warning : I'm Drunk and Stoned - What is filmer culture like?  (Read 5080 times)

companguero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 255
  • sesquipedalian
I don't skate much anymore but lurk here and keep up with videos - It's how I keep touch with the culture.
I have a lot of ideas for filming so I'm considering meeting skaters and learning to use a camera.
People seem to distinguish filmers/photogs among skaters, I wonder what you know about them and if they have a peculiar culture among them.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
some are into screwdrivers

nowell

• Rep: -153
You've got to be slightly more autistic than your average skater, So you'll be fine.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125

Now that's something Trigger-warning worthy.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Yes.
Some are also into yelling "yeee baadappopoo" in a high pitched voice after the skater lands his trick, giving endless amount of personal hand shakes, and frequently referencing Memphis hip hop.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
"you got this next try, dude." 
repeat until dude lands his trick. thats all you need to know.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes.
Some are also into yelling "yeee baadappopoo" in a high pitched voice after the skater lands his trick, giving endless amount of personal hand shakes, and frequently referencing Memphis hip hop.

i'd take this over some screwdriver rapist everyday. actually that kind of filmer dude sounds like fun to be around.

BrunsdOut17

• Rep: 1
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes.

so good haha

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1289
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
trigger warning sounds like a bad high school punk band.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
TRIGGERED!

you need to put trigger warnings within your trigger warnings! I read your post without knowing which parts would trigger me. thanks a lot, asshole. you ruined my day. I'm so triggered right now.

blankbutbranded

• Rep: 137
  • Scut Farkus homebwaye
To be a filmer you need to go out and film and be street wise, no parks, no birds and building footy, and hang with productive fellas. Stop that drunk and stoned bullshit, go out and be a man you faccotte.

The Shogun

Being drunk and stoned and creating juicy threads, you've excelled in total underachievement.

However, there is hope, keep hope alive young lurker. Go out there make your dreams a reality.

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
just remember these: "it's coming soon" "we're working on it" "no I can't send it to you" "postponed"

another helpful tip: when you see people filming go ahead and whip out your phone for a second angle to use in your video. they won't mind. "one trick, two flicks"

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
I dont know that much if there is that much of a culture surrounding it but its more like a brotherhood type thing. Filmers help each other out when they need shit. Filmers are usually just part of the same culture as the regular skaters. I film but I also skate too so I just hang out with the people I usually skate with. Now if you are a good filmer (or atleast have a good camera) people will start hitting you up to go film, but usually you have to hit people up to go film as well.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
what if all skaters became filmers and all filmers became skaters and they skated and filmed each other at the same time doing crazy lines? like they would skate side by side and do synchronized kickflips down the same 10 stair, then grind a rail, then ride off a curb? that would be insane. you would have to skate and film at the same time and do a good job of both.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
just remember these: "it's coming soon" "we're working on it" "no I can't send it to you" "postponed"

also very important: the ability to ask "you alright man?" in a sincere fashion.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
    • swarm life avatar image
Disclosure: Long term filmer here, not so much in the past few years, but I've been slowly working on a new video.

As for being drunk / stoned, it is a method but it makes it a lot tougher to stay on top of footage, making backups, not missing the shot, and actually giving a shit about the trick the skater is done. I've been a lot more productive as a filmer when I'm not fucking with alcohol or getting stoney baloney. It also comes out in the editing, more killer, less filler.

One thing to realize is a large majority of filmers are doing it as more of a creative endeavor, and not a business one. Perhaps that has changed, but if the passion to document isn't there, you should probably put the camera down and skate. Skaters can tell whether or not you are into their trick. Needless to say, I've reached a breaking point where filming your typical skater doing a typical trick down a typical obstacle is almost torture.

Creativity, style, and flow outweigh the boring robot shit. If you are a skater and are subconsciously forcing your filmer to stand in one place for hours on end while you try to learn a trick, that shit is whack. Move on and do something you can bang out in a few tries. It will look better. Think Tommy Guerrero skating down the street versus some one jumping down a set of stairs for hours on end. Which filmer do you think had more fun in the process?

I could rant for hours on this shit, but these days I'm more interested in documenting skateboarding where the skater is pushing themselves in a natural trick selection. Not trying to conform to a style or process.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
"you got this next try, dude." 
repeat until dude lands his trick. thats all you need to know.

This

You will need A LOT of patience and I mean A FUCKING LOT.

Try to have your own style of filming and editing as well. Or just be a basic bitch and do it however everyone else does it...like me. Main thing is you have fun filming. Yeah that's right. Have fun. Just like skateboarding.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Mantis tabogin

• Rep: -7
Can you land your god dam trick already we have been here for 3 fuckin hours i shoulda went skating with joslin he actual lands shit even tho his style is grosser than stepping in a wet pile of dog shit

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
When a skater's trying a trick you know damn well is out of their league, act upset with yourself and sadly tell them you forgot to charge your battery last night and it's about to die. It's a good way to avoid back pain and sitting in the same spot for 3 hours.

Irvine-Sucks.com

frontsideoverkrook

u gotta have a magnum dong homie

djtraceman610

• Rep: 38
It's never the "last try"

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
filmers have beef with each other and its hilarious

im just a local kid with a vx and somehow have beef with a certain well known filmer whose name i definitely shouldnt say

but i fuckin hate that guy

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32

im just a local kid with a vx and somehow have beef with a certain well known filmer whose name i definitely shouldnt say

soo... who is it?

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
Expand Quote

[close]

soo... who is it?

im not real enough to say it

Grampa

• Rep: 151
I don't really have any input, but I'd like to to say that VX tattoos are a great indicator when you're trying to figure out who's going to remain in their hometown working at Sonic for the rest of their life.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 260
what if all skaters became filmers and all filmers became skaters and they skated and filmed each other at the same time doing crazy lines? like they would skate side by side and do synchronized kickflips down the same 10 stair, then grind a rail, then ride off a curb? that would be insane. you would have to skate and film at the same time and do a good job of both.

immediately thought of this 1:45  ;D

also doesnt chris gregson basically already do that?

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
I don't really have any input, but I'd like to to say that VX tattoos are a great indicator when you're trying to figure out who's going to remain in their hometown working at Sonic for the rest of their life.

My hometown doesn't have a sonic  :'(
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
The mocking of the term "trigger warning" is almost as obnoxious as the overprivileged kids who think things trigger them.
For the record, "triggering" is a term related to trauma and PTSD. I work with A LOT of kids dealing with trauma/ptsd, and have seen what happens when somebody actually is "triggered," and its a pretty intense situation.
Obviously, the college kid who just learned the term and thinks anything that upsets them has "triggered" them is obnoxiously ruining the term for people like a girl I know who saw her sister get shot in front of her, and now gets triggered, and falls into a reptilian fight or flight mode, whenever she sees a tall man walk into a room.
For veteran of war, things like the 4th of july and all of the fireworks can be triggering
For a rape victim, a song that may have been playing when they were being assaulted may trigger them.
People who work with people with PTSD or trauma actually do need to know what triggers a person to respect that person's psychological well-being, to maintain the safety of everybody around, and to help that person cope with and work through their trauma to the best of their ability.

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of you didn't know that, and just associate it with the obnoxious heterosexual college kid who claims homophobic jokes "trigger" them, but its actually a real term that references a real and crippling mental illness.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
The mocking of the term "trigger warning" is almost as obnoxious as the overprivileged kids who think things trigger them.
For the record, "triggering" is a term related to trauma and PTSD. I work with A LOT of kids dealing with trauma/ptsd, and have seen what happens when somebody actually is "triggered," and its a pretty intense situation.
Obviously, the college kid who just learned the term and thinks anything that upsets them has "triggered" them is obnoxiously ruining the term for people like a girl I know who saw her sister get shot in front of her, and now gets triggered, and falls into a reptilian fight or flight mode, whenever she sees a tall man walk into a room.
For veteran of war, things like the 4th of july and all of the fireworks can be triggering
For a rape victim, a song that may have been playing when they were being assaulted may trigger them.
People who work with people with PTSD or trauma actually do need to know what triggers a person to respect that person's psychological well-being, to maintain the safety of everybody around, and to help that person cope with and work through their trauma to the best of their ability.

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of you didn't know that, and just associate it with the obnoxious heterosexual college kid who claims homophobic jokes "trigger" them, but its actually a real term that references a real and crippling mental illness.