Author Topic: RIP Dylan Reider  (Read 123904 times)

GeorgeHanson

Re: RIP Dylan Reider
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2016, 08:13:43 AM »
Honestly this fucking sucks.

Such an amazing guy. The most influential skater of the modern bunch.

Probably the best style of them all. On and off the board.

RIP

The greatest

excitableboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
Once I saw Dylan. in real life, and noticed he was shorter than I expected, about my size. I remember being instantly encouraged by the observation. I love how skaters, jaded as we may get, remain capable of the most genuine kind of admiration. We had all seen and tried hundreds of frontside tailslide flip outs to fakie already, but who knew it could be done quite like that? A week after that part came out, you could visit any rickety skatepark in, say, rural Poland, and find a kid with a fresh haircut, dressed in a torn shirt and black cuffed jeans. Older heads may be less impressionable, some even hated on the fashion, but there was no way around his impeccable style and ability on the board. More than a football fan can a QB, or an art critic the artist, or a Doors fan JM, I think skaters can fathom Dylan.'s work. The best of which was still to come. We lost a homerun of a skateboarder on the cusp of his prime. Imagine the kind of footage our beloved canon will lack with his passing. That's what I've been doing all day and yesterday. RIP Dylan..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:24:39 AM by excitableboy »

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2016, 08:19:26 AM »
Rip Dylan, one of the best to ever do it, and to do it as you pleased, thanks for the great skating and may you roll forever

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
Rest Peacefully Dylan

I'm in vegas and I found out yesterday in a text from my friend. Broke down crying in the middle of the strip.

One of the best to do it. I used to make my friends watch skate videos with me after a night of drinking and they all always seemed to get interested when it was Dylan footage. It's not just us who see this mans value. He was and is a true inspiration.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
it would be cool to see ongoing respect paid to dylan a la keenan forever.

excitableboy

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »

I would make a t-shirt with the stills of Keenan and Dylan switch flipping tables, if I had those kind of skills.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would make a t-shirt with the stills of Keenan and Dylan switch flipping tables, if I had those kind of skills.
i don't mean putting the two together, just on the scale of.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
Dude was the best. Seriously. I was the only one of my friends who was a fan but everybody still got it. His talent was undeniable.

I'm wondering if there will be any last interview or anything. Maybe a heaps chat or something. I've still got fresh gravis slip ons and an AWS Dylan deck hanging up, and found my copy of the Dylan. DVD. Holding onto that shit for sure.

Rip in peace my guy. Much respect.
p-shuvs and v-flips

excitableboy

« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah I got a bit excited there but I agree, and I do see Dylan Forever written a lot.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think that's an inevitability. I hope there's annual contests/skate jams/whatever in his memory and all of that. Keep him going forever.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I highly encourage everyone to sign up to be in the bone marrow donor registry. Chances are they'll never match you with anyone, but if they do, you could easily save someone's life. All you need to do is send in a cheek swab and they'll keep you in a database in case there is someone in need who can accept your donation. If you do match, they can get a marrow donation the same way they would take a plasma donation (none of the drilling into your hip business anymore).

https://bethematch.org/
[close]
I did not know this. Thank you for teaching me something new today.
Absolutely! Most donations are done via PBSC, and they ensure your body replenishes the marrow. I'm not sure of Dylan's condition, but I had a personal friend who died because they couldn't find a match with an appropriate donor. Again, if anyone wants to send a big FUCK YOU to leukemia, you should join the registry.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »

hardly art, hardly starving

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
It's amazing how many people cried for Dylan. We're all grown ass men/women always talking about masculinity and sometimes even hating on each other, yet we all have emotions and we cried for Dylan. That's the amazing thing about being a skateboarder. Doesn't matter where you are, what religion you believe in, language barriers, preferences, gay or straight, we all share one thing in common: our love for skateboarding. That's why skateboarding is the best. We may hate and argue with each other, but skateboarding will always bring us together.

SLAP, I love all of you.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
Rest In Peace Dylan. I said it in the bumped thread, wishing it'd never pop up again but did. Shred in heaven handsome.

micky682

« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
It's amazing how many people cried for Dylan. We're all grown ass men/women always talking about masculinity and sometimes even hating on each other, yet we all have emotions and we cried for Dylan. That's the amazing thing about being a skateboarder. Doesn't matter where you are, what religion you believe in, language barriers, preferences, gay or straight, we all share one thing in common: our love for skateboarding. That's why skateboarding is the best. We may hate and argue with each other, but skateboarding will always bring us together.

SLAP, I love all of you.
This. And Fuck Cancer.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
I wrote this for the front page, but the feed is glitchy and doesn't always show up. Thought I'd share it here:

http://www.slapmagazine.com/articles/short/rip-dylan-rieder

Sorry to hear of some of your recent losses. And thanks for sharing the bone marrow registry.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
Thanks Bobby. Beautiful write-up.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

asakusa75

« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Well said mate.

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »
I've tried giving bone marrow twice and been refused due to previous back injuries. My dad previously gave bone marrow to someone with leukemia and he got the nicest letter off the woman who got his donation, I think she survived. I'd encourage any of you to do so if you can, it made me so proud of my dad.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
I want to pay tribute to Dylan with some ink so Im going to ask a favor...can some please provide a good image of the cat Dylan had on the hand that I think Oblow draw. I was looking around on the internet and cant find any good and I remember that some photos exists out there. This one:

My idea is to put the word SMILE and on top of that that cat cause both things together make me smile. Right upper arm on the back. Thank you ahead !

Molas

• Rep: 14
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
In these almost 21 years of skateboarding I've witnessed the loss of quite a few pro skaters, but receiving this horrible news and read all the tribute words people were posting online, caught me completely off guard emotionally.

Never thought the death of a person I didn't even knew could hit me so hard.

Thanks for all the stories, words, videos, etc. you guys have been posting in this thread.

Here's a little something I made during yesterday's lunch break to cheer me up.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:53:19 PM by Molas »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2016, 08:23:37 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »
In these almost 21 years of skateboarding I've witnessed the loss of quite a few pro skaters, but receiving this horrible news and read all the tribute words people were posting online, caught me completely off guard emotionally.

Never thought the death of a person I didn't even knew could hit me so hard.

Thanks for all the stories, words, videos, etc. you guys have been posting in this thread.

Here's a little something I made during yesterday's lunch break to cheer me up.

amazing dude

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
wonderful brando analogy, bobby.

swag nollies

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »
He was on some other shit and I respected it, I wasnt down with the shoes, but he was good as fuck with his shit, and man he really was cool. Man, sucks. Legend status for sure but sucks its like that. Atleast he was alive n shit in the first place.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
I`d like to think Dylan & Keenan are switch flipping picnic benches in skate heaven`s V.I.P spot.

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »
With everyone of you. Was hit hard by the news, still today, feels like something is missing. Dylan was rad and I'm glad I got to know him the little I did before he was gone. No matter how long it was in between meetings, he would always remember what we last spoke about and asked how things were now. Genuine good dude.

RIP. Dylan Forever.

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2016, 06:53:33 AM »
It's crazy how someone's death whom i never met has affected me so much. I checked my phone and a friend of mine had texted "dylan rieder died" . i got overwhelmed with feelings of emptiness. Sounds queer or whatever but i don't care

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
It's crazy how someone's death whom i never met has affected me so much. I checked my phone and a friend of mine had texted "dylan rieder died" . i got overwhelmed with feelings of emptiness. Sounds queer or whatever but i don't care
felt the same way man. When I heard the news I just didn't feel right for the rest of the day. Others have passed away but this one hit me hard.

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
Although Dylan's passing is really horrible and extremely sad. Look at how amazing the skateboarding community is. Over the last 30 days skateboarders have rallied around the joy of BA being able to be reborn as his true honest self in public and also around the sorrow of the untimely death of Dylan. There is no other community that can touch the openness and acceptance of skateboarders. We could get in to the intricacies of how historically skateboarding has been misogynistic, homophobic, or judgmental, but all in all I choose to see how inclusive it is today. No matter your income, talent, whereabouts, race, or beliefs, you know you can count on a piece of wood with wheels screwed on it to tie us all together. It makes me extremely proud to be a skateboarder and feel a part of a giant diverse and dysfunctional family.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.