Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 103965 times)

ArnoCartable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #780 on: December 07, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
Hi !
Sorry if the question was already asked before but I'm currently struggling with lowlight and night filming with my VX1000. Either it looks way too dark or it looks way too grainy. Does any of you have typical settings you use in the evening/at night.
I'm kinda new to all the cinematography terms (ISO/dB/exposure/shutterspeed/etc). It would be very kind to explain those to me.

Thank y'all 8)

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 15
  • VX1000
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #781 on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
Hi !
Sorry if the question was already asked before but I'm currently struggling with lowlight and night filming with my VX1000. Either it looks way too dark or it looks way too grainy. Does any of you have typical settings you use in the evening/at night.
I'm kinda new to all the cinematography terms (ISO/dB/exposure/shutterspeed/etc). It would be very kind to explain those to me.

Thank y'all 8)

I'm not a night filming expert by any means. But I would recommend never going below 2.0 for the exposure or else everything becomes grainy. I'll set shutter speed to 100, f2.0, and get close with the fisheye where the light really brightens things up.

I have a few night clips at the end of this little edit for reference:
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
Hi !

Thank y'all 8)

i try to go to 6db max, and shutter of 1/100 minimum, which add grain but not that much.
But on specific cases, I had to go to 1/50 and 18db. Super grainy but it's better to see something grainy than having to guess what's going on.
Setting multiple lights help seeing a bit more of the run up / landing too
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:17:16 PM by bataaard »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #783 on: December 07, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
Hi !

Thank y'all 8)

If you legitimately see yourself spending a lot (maybe more than 25%) of your time filming after the sun goes down I'd sincerely advise buying another camera as low light is the biggest weakness of the VX1000.

As far as what camera I'd suggest, VX2000, as despite it's mic being ass (set it to manual and drop it roughly 2 notches for filming fish), it should be much easier to come across a cheaper VX2 than a vx1, and it's so much better at night.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #784 on: December 07, 2021, 03:13:10 PM »
settings wont help dark/grainy footage. more light will. get a better on cam light and light up spots if you can.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #785 on: December 08, 2021, 12:34:45 AM »
I've spent a bunch of time filming at night, since it's the only time we can skate par on weekends..anyways;

Decent 160led light for the top, set shutter speed to 1/100 (lowest 1/75, if it's really dark) and set exposure to 9db at lowest, but I try to stay at 6db. I've never really had any times where I thought it was really bad, mainly because the light is pretty good.

I second the notion of a VX2, or a 21 which I always find for good prices as well. Par some shaky and orange clips in this (since this was the year I first started using my camera) this was filmed on a VX21 and was mainly at night;

Genuinely really like how VX21 looks if you soften the image a bit sometimes. Oh and the camera seems more reliable, since they are newer.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

nickpaolucci

« Reply #786 on: December 08, 2021, 05:26:21 AM »
what lights do you guys recommend? I have a Neewer 160led, but I am sure there is something better. maybe another Neewer w/ one on top of the camera and another in hand?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #787 on: December 08, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »
what lights do you guys recommend? I have a Neewer 160led, but I am sure there is something better. maybe another Neewer w/ one on top of the camera and another in hand?

That's what I use and does well for what I do. I used to use a 140led and it definitely fairs better than that.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
« Reply #788 on: December 08, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »
I have this one for VX or HVX and it works really well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884129-REG/genaray_led_7100t_312_lamp_variable_clr.html

Edit: It also uses VX batteries and you can use the slimmer batteries that come with light in your VX.  These batteries tend to last longer than the standard full size VX batteries.

The adjustable light color feature is really nice, perfect for using the light when it is not totally dark out to match 5600K a bit closer without filters (which produce less light from the LED).

nickpaolucci

« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2021, 05:21:21 AM »
I have this one for VX or HVX and it works really well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884129-REG/genaray_led_7100t_312_lamp_variable_clr.html

Edit: It also uses VX batteries and you can use the slimmer batteries that come with light in your VX.  These batteries tend to last longer than the standard full size VX batteries.

The adjustable light color feature is really nice, perfect for using the light when it is not totally dark out to match 5600K a bit closer without filters (which produce less light from the LED).

nice! thanks for the suggestion. the battery thing does help justify the price a bit

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #790 on: December 09, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545481-REG/lupo_700_smartpanel_dual_color_led.html

by far one of the brightest small form factor lights you can get because of the lenses in front of the LEDs. on sale right now too. uses VX batteries
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

ArnoCartable

« Reply #791 on: December 13, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »
Okay thanks y'all for your answer. I got a godox led500c wich is f'ing powerfull and I'll try your settings during the next nightsess.
 8) 8) 8)

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #792 on: December 14, 2021, 06:51:40 AM »
Okay thanks y'all for your answer. I got a godox led500c wich is f'ing powerfull and I'll try your settings during the next nightsess.
 8) 8) 8)

That looks like a solid choice. The only other thing I might recommend is if you’re mounting it on camera, you may want to invest in a better cold shoe adapter. I have the genaray light mentioned above and the one that came with it is just cheap plastic that sits too high.

ArnoCartable

« Reply #793 on: December 14, 2021, 07:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
 8) 8) 8)
[close]

That looks like a solid choice. The only other thing I might recommend is if you’re mounting it on camera, you may want to invest in a better cold shoe adapter. I have the genaray light mentioned above and the one that came with it is just cheap plastic that sits too high.

The light I mentioned is not a light I'll mount on my camera. For that I have two little led lights.
For now I'll mount one on my camera and hold the other one in my hand for filming lines and I'll set the big godox one for single trick filming.
 8)

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #794 on: December 15, 2021, 07:50:05 AM »
i'm sure it's been discussed on here but since we've been dealing with it recently:

capture cam is firewire 400. i have to capture on an old laptop with a FW400 port and would like to get rid of all the extra dongles. what adapters are compatible to step it up to more modern hardware (i.e. imac 2014, 21.5" screen /2.9QC/2X4GB/1TB/GT750M or newer PC w/ USB-C)?
good come sausage

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #795 on: December 15, 2021, 10:22:29 AM »
Your iMac 2014 should have thunderbolt connections. I have been using the following:

thunderbolt to firewire-800 adapter
firewire-800 to firewire-400 6 pin adapter
firewire-400 6pin to 4 pin cable

Since you likely already have the 6pin to 4pin cable, you should be able to search second hand sites like eBay/Mercari and get those first two adapters for ~$30ish

(my picture below shows a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable, but obviously a 6-pin to 4-pin would work the same)

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #796 on: December 15, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
Windows/Linux and not a Laptop: Get a firewire PCI-E card. Firewire and USB aren't compatible you would need an active adapter (which best to my knowledge is not available at least not easily). I have to add that I can't use my FireWire PCI-E card under Windows because there seem to be some conflicts with my AMD graphic cards drivers. If the Firewire card is installed the system has a boot loop. Started happening like 3-5 years ago with a graphics driver update, no Issues with that card under Linux.
With a (modern) laptop you are most likely out of luck.
Has anybody ever tried those Firewire to thunderbolt to usb-c adapter chains in Windows/Linux?
I remember someone posting here that it works with MacOS.

edit2: So apparently someone managed to run a firewire mixer with that chain (https://discourse.ardour.org/t/success-with-thunderbolt-3-to-firewire-adapter/101141). But there is not to much information and a year old unanswered question.

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #797 on: December 19, 2021, 01:29:17 PM »
If memory serves, I think that when you remove the bayo from the VX1MK1, the screw size is 82mm. Has anyone ever tried using a bayoring and putting it on an 82mm Opteka fisheye? I'm curious to see how that would look.

Pusssy Runners

Hi does someone try the Magenta VX POUCH BAG ?

https://shop.magentaskateboards.com/products/vx-pouch-bag-942

I was wondering if it a good bag for take on session !

;D ;D ;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image

;D ;D ;D

Damn I forgot about this. I remember when these were announced. They look pretty sick and can fit most of your gear

nickpaolucci

;D ;D ;D

I have the theories bag which is a similar setup. the form factor is nice and allows me to where it on top of my other backpack which I use to carry stuff like rubbricks, lacquer, bondo etc.

Stretch

• Rep: 19

;D ;D ;D

I got the Theories one, which looks the same. Must say I expected more from it. It is really good for a quick afternoon mission since it only fits maybe 2 extra batteries and a couple tapes. There is no room for a lamp so if you're planning on skating until late this bag wont cut it.

It definitely won't fit any tool, wax, wallet, food or other stuff I carry with me on a full day skating.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
the magenta version is a little bit bigger than the theories

ArnoCartable

Quick two questions about miniDV tapes:

- Does anybody knows what the little little toggle under the tape (with REC and SAVE next to it) ?

- What is the difference between SP and LP mode ? How can I change that, what will that do ? Is LP better than SP or the other way around ?

Thanks for your answer.

8) 8) 8)

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
little toggle prevents the tape from being recorded on anymore, and LP (long play) reduces the quality to get more footage onto a tape. SP is standard play.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
little toggle prevents the tape from being recorded on anymore, and LP (long play) reduces the quality to get more footage onto a tape. SP is standard play.

Another important fact I believe is correct; LP recorded tapes don't tend to play correctly in a different camera than what was used to shoot them on.

I had a tale where it'd go fast in parts and the quality was lessened.

ArnoCartable

Ok thanks, but how can I know if my tapes record in LP or SP mode ? And how can I change that ?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
[close]

Ok thanks, but how can I know if my tapes record in LP or SP mode ? And how can I change that ?

You can't set it on VX1s IIRC, as there is no REC type settings available in the menus. However you can on a VX2/21K as I did it on my first time filming which was on a VX21K. It'll be under the 'TAPE SET' menu > REC MODE > SP or LP

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Anyone here ever put silica gel desiccant packets in with their camera gear to prevent moisture from developing/fog on their lens?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Anyone here ever put silica gel desiccant packets in with their camera gear to prevent moisture from developing/fog on their lens?

Yep - I got several in there, in different parts of the bag. I swap them out every now and then.

When I was still using tapes and it was summer time I'd keep one that was fairly big, that I'd stick in the tape deck as I'd often get the moisture warning when it was really hot and humid. Just got to be careful you don't get it torn putting one inside or those little silica balls will all be up in that piece.