Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102525 times)

Szechuan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
Is it happening in playback as well or just on the computer?

Statebird

• Rep: 46

hmm I've never played back on the vx, it happens when I'm going through the tape to capture.

I use a mini dv deck to capture so it cant be batteries.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Anyone here fuck with TRV-900s? They're good little cameras, Baker 3 was all TRV. Anyway my question is does anyone know of a good mic? Thats the only thing I don't like about the TRV, 360 mic. The 3ccd footage looks exactly like the VX

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Anyone here fuck with TRV-900s? They're good little cameras, Baker 3 was all TRV. Anyway my question is does anyone know of a good mic? Thats the only thing I don't like about the TRV, 360 mic. The 3ccd footage looks exactly like the VX

mic isn't that bad at all. TRV footage with a baby death lens is not bad at all. Looks solid

swanronson

• Rep: -27
Anyone know how many times you can use a cleaning tape? I’ve only ever used it once on my vx every now and then and threw it out but just want to know if I can use it multiple times for my capture cam

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
would only suggest 3 or 4 times on the vx heads. But on a capture cam you can use it until its all gone. I believe it has three mins on it

swanronson

• Rep: -27
Sweet thanks man

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Anyone got a cheap (30€) cap cam to sell ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Anyone got a cheap (30€) cap cam to sell ?

I might have a little canon cam I can sell ya. I'll have to check when I get home from work if I have the charging wire though.

Spaghetti Croc69

• Rep: -10

Baker 3 was not all TRV. Lots of vx in there as well. You can tell by the vig and all the long lens clips where you can see the dude filming fisheye is using a vx. TRV still dank tho

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
surely firewire to usb exists?

shaolinconfounder

surely firewire to usb exists?

I'll have a look but some forum I was reading said this doesn't work for some reason. have you used one?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
I've been thinking about getting a vx for a while it seems like the classic raw look and sound of the footage is un achievable with any camera out nowadays, it looks too sick! Fuck HD and overly polished robotic skating. Anyway I'm not sure about how to convert footage to pc. I have a windows laptop without a firewire port is there any way to convert mini dv tapes into digital files?

I've looked around the internet but can't get a clear answer, apart from maybe using one of these converters off amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-2-PC-Capture-Windows-Camcorder-transfer/dp/B0049BE3TA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534946419&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+dv+to+pc

Any help with this would be much appreciated
You have any open PCIe slots?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQCNMW?pldnSite=1

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PEX30016-Firewire-XIO2213B-Chipset/dp/B006DQ0KD2/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006DQ0KD2&pd_rd_r=6dd6a483-a614-11e8-bc7c-f78a6db3930a&pd_rd_w=UyKgL&pd_rd_wg=5vzyI&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=FQT2BSFW0R5NNDN7AHQV&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FQT2BSFW0R5NNDN7AHQV

There's a bunch of different shit like that you can buy that would work as long as its compatible with your PC
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:13:18 AM by Cherb »

crustynosepick

• Rep: -56
Been messing about with my VX for a minute now.Had a few issues from the get go. White balance won't set: cant even use the 'secret' compartment next to the battery as the camera turns off as soon as the door opens.
Also, after exporting footage onto the PC on many clips there is blue distortion all over the video.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thomas

• no pop no style
Firewire to USB does not work.

Do you have an ExpressCard or PCMIA slot on your laptop ?
If yes, you can buy a card for around 40 bucks that will give you a Firewire port.

If it's a new PC and you have a Thunderbolt port, Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptators do work.

If you are considering buying a VX1000, you should also buy a cheap capture cam just to transfer the footage to your PC, VX1000 ar old and you must take care of those heads.

shaolinconfounder

If i could find a cheap laptop with firewire surely I could put the footage onto that then move the file onto the laptop i'd edit on?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
Thanks but my laptop doesn't seem to have thunderbolt or pci slots am I out of luck?
Shit I didn't read your first post well enough. Skipped over the laptop part.

But yeah any cheap shit computer/laptop with the available space on the HDD or SSD and a firewire port and you can transfer the files from there to your laptop ez.

Correction. It can be ez. If you go from PC to Mac transferring files is a bitch.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:54:41 AM by Cherb »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Been messing about with my VX for a minute now.Had a few issues from the get go. White balance won't set: cant even use the 'secret' compartment next to the battery as the camera turns off as soon as the door opens.
Also, after exporting footage onto the PC on many clips there is blue distortion all over the video.
Anybody got any ideas?

your battery has a loose connection. Open the door and hold the battery in, it will power back on.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
I've been thinking about getting a vx for a while it seems like the classic raw look and sound of the footage is un achievable with any camera out nowadays, it looks too sick! Fuck HD and overly polished robotic skating. Anyway I'm not sure about how to convert footage to pc. I have a windows laptop without a firewire port is there any way to convert mini dv tapes into digital files?

I've looked around the internet but can't get a clear answer, apart from maybe using one of these converters off amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-2-PC-Capture-Windows-Camcorder-transfer/dp/B0049BE3TA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534946419&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+dv+to+pc

Any help with this would be much appreciated

your best bet is to find someone on craigslist selling their old computer, the motherboard should have an extra pci express slot. Buy one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F3DM6C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and install it into the free pci e spot.

Thomas

• no pop no style
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks but my laptop doesn't seem to have thunderbolt or pci slots am I out of luck?
[close]

But yeah any cheap shit computer/laptop with the available space on the HDD or SSD and a firewire port and you can transfer the files from there to your laptop ez.

Correction. It can be ez. If you go from PC to Mac transferring files is a bitch.
[close]

Ah right cheers for the advice I ended up getting a Mac as my old laptop was fucked anyway!! Realised though that lenses are very hard to find even on ebay:(. Anyone know if you can put a 37mm lens on a 52mm TRV or vx if you use an adaptor ring?

Maybe, but the vignetting will be huge I guess.

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah right cheers for the advice I ended up getting a Mac as my old laptop was fucked anyway!! Realised though that lenses are very hard to find even on ebay:(. Anyone know if you can put a 37mm lens on a 52mm TRV or vx if you use an adaptor ring?
[close]

Maybe, but the vignetting will be huge I guess.

I have a PD100 (same as TRV900 but DVCAM format) with 37mm babydeath lens and its fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTTO70f8mJI
not my clip

Thomas

• no pop no style
Wow, looking good !

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

hmm I've never played back on the vx, it happens when I'm going through the tape to capture.

I use a mini dv deck to capture so it cant be batteries.
My gv d900 capture deck would do audio drops until I got a ac adapter off eBay, either that or your capturing too fast. Go back 10 seconds before where you plan to start capturing, that usually fixes it for me.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Wow, looking good !

this surprisingly looks super good 

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
I'm bumping this.
Was just out filming in the cold, got an error saying to eject the tape and it's not letting me. I had this problem with this particular VX before, and swapped batteries and it was fine. Now, if I go to eject the tape, nothing happens...
Unless I pop the battery out, put it back in, and then try to eject it. I hear the familiar whir of the motor kind of 'warming up' to get the tape out, but hope again fades quickly away and I'm left with the tape in the VX.
I'm beginning to believe that this is either
A) Tape deck problem and I hit up Kerry for the first time
B) This kind of thing happens due to the cold (low 30's & windy), and I should stop bumping old threads because I'm being paranoid and once my VX is indoors for more than an hour I'll be fine.

I haven't been filming VX for that long and have never had these issues before with any of my other cameras.

Please don't tell me to go to SP.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »
I'm bumping this.
Was just out filming in the cold, got an error saying to eject the tape and it's not letting me. I had this problem with this particular VX before, and swapped batteries and it was fine. Now, if I go to eject the tape, nothing happens...
Unless I pop the battery out, put it back in, and then try to eject it. I hear the familiar whir of the motor kind of 'warming up' to get the tape out, but hope again fades quickly away and I'm left with the tape in the VX.
B) This kind of thing happens due to the cold (low 30's & windy), and I should stop bumping old threads because I'm being paranoid and once my VX is indoors for more than an hour I'll be fine.

I haven't been filming VX for that long and have never had these issues before with any of my other cameras.

Maybe the trick snowboarders do with keeping it inside a plastic bag inside the camera bag will do it. That and trying to not shock it with a sudden temp difference. Let the camera get to the temp outside or inside is before you turn it on. Best of luck!

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm bumping this.

[close]
Maybe the trick snowboarders do with keeping it inside a plastic bag inside the camera bag will do it. That and trying to not shock it with a sudden temp difference. Let the camera get to the temp outside or inside is before you turn it on. Best of luck!

Word, I'll definitely try that next time... I'm trying to do a winter video. I read about all of that stuff about 45 minutes after I came in, so, it's kinda moot at that point.
Thanks for the reply!
I asked a local filmer if tape decks can lock up in the cold and then unlock later and his only response was "VXs hate the cold." Word, thanks fam... I'll remember that when you ask me for a pin.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm bumping this.

[close]
[close]

Word, I'll definitely try that next time... I'm trying to do a winter video. I read about all of that stuff about 45 minutes after I came in, so, it's kinda moot at that point.
Thanks for the reply!
I asked a local filmer if tape decks can lock up in the cold and then unlock later and his only response was "VXs hate the cold." Word, thanks fam... I'll remember that when you ask me for a pin.
[close]
Extra points for understanding and using the word "moot" correctly. Solid.

Did you got the tape out? Same thing happened to me last spring when it was kinda cold.. Popped the battery out and the motor starts but then nothing. Didnt start to work at all so I took it to some camerashop but the man didnt know how to fix it so finally I bought a new one from ebay. Still have the old one waiting to be fixed..  :-[
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm bumping this.

[close]
[close]

Thanks for the reply!
[close]
Extra points for understanding and using the word "moot" correctly. Solid.
[close]

Did you got the tape out? Same thing happened to me last spring when it was kinda cold.. Popped the battery out and the motor starts but then nothing. Didnt start to work at all so I took it to some camerashop but the man didnt know how to fix it so finally I bought a new one from ebay. Still have the old one waiting to be fixed..  :-[

Nah, I got told to leave the deck open for a few days to air it out then try it. I’m pretty sure I’ll havd to send it out.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biAT2WO573Q

Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one of these?