Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102533 times)

Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Hey, I'm considering upgrading my camera bag since I've been using the Amazon basics bag for 3 years now.
I've looked at Burton, Dakine and Lowepro.

Lowepro is veeery expensive if I want a bag that can fit my VX2100 + a few personnal stuff.

Dakine seems OK to me, I'm just not sure the VX will fit properly as the camera compartment is a bit smaller than the VX length (40 cm).

The Burton (link below) is my number one choice for now, but again, I'm not sure the VX will fit as nothing is mentioned for the dimensions. I've sent an email to Burton and they just said "yes it should fit"...
https://www.burton.com/fr/fr/p/burton-zoom-26l-camera-backpack/S20-110311.html#

Any feedback on those bags and/or recommandations ?
My budget is 200€ max, it should fit as a cabin bagage (50x40x20 max) and could carry my VX2100, MK2 fisheye, batteries, charger, Rode videomic pro, 160 led lights, and a few personnal stuff.

Thanks !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

jwdharris

• Rep: -4
    • www.vimeo.com/jwdharris avatar image
I've got a question I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer...

I'm a FCPx user, but interested in the process of upscaling SD vx footage in Premiere Pro/FCPx/Compressor/etc... whatever will make it work.

I'm including an example of a crispy 720p vx upload as well as one of my own if you want to see the difference I'm talking about, although I'm sure you know what I mean if you're here.

http://youtu.be/A-bM40TMzNQ (my footage)

http://youtu.be/V5Cq59_GQn4 (crispy example)

My question is essentially how to achieve the 720p vx footage. Methods I've tried include:

1) creating a project in native SD dimensions (NTSC for me - so 640x480) and exporting as 960x720 (to preserve aspect ratio)

2) creating a custom project with 960x720 (rec.601 audio and 29.97 frame rate) and exporting that

3) taking a native 640x480 project, exporting natively, and then upscaling with Compressor/Media Encoder

If you have any experience doing this and maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'd sure love the help.

I'm a fellow FCPX user, and I upscale my VX footage with a custom setting of 960x720 as you mentioned. If you make sure that it's in progressive scan, it'll deinterlace the footage for you.

Here's how my stuff turns out:

https://youtu.be/W7MUaJu2Z8k

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Hey, I'm considering upgrading my camera bag since I've been using the Amazon basics bag for 3 years now.
I've looked at Burton, Dakine and Lowepro.

Lowepro is veeery expensive if I want a bag that can fit my VX2100 + a few personnal stuff.

Dakine seems OK to me, I'm just not sure the VX will fit properly as the camera compartment is a bit smaller than the VX length (40 cm).

The Burton (link below) is my number one choice for now, but again, I'm not sure the VX will fit as nothing is mentioned for the dimensions. I've sent an email to Burton and they just said "yes it should fit"...
https://www.burton.com/fr/fr/p/burton-zoom-26l-camera-backpack/S20-110311.html#

Any feedback on those bags and/or recommandations ?
My budget is 200€ max, it should fit as a cabin bagage (50x40x20 max) and could carry my VX2100, MK2 fisheye, batteries, charger, Rode videomic pro, 160 led lights, and a few personnal stuff.

Thanks !

Its a little harder to find but I got a Ty Evans Ogio bag a year or two ago and I swear by that bag. So much space, could fit multiple vxs, cap cam, lights, batteries, etc... Ive even been putting my rub brick in it or buckled to the outside. Super good bag and my buddy actually just found one for like $80 usd

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Someone on Skateperception got a MRC1K recorder and it seems like it works really well for tapeless recording.

Here's some footage they shared:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBW9XCDNbP8

and here's the original thread for more info.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Someone on Skateperception got a MRC1K recorder and it seems like it works really well for tapeless recording.

Here's some footage they shared:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBW9XCDNbP8

and here's the original thread for more info.

Damn this is sick and gives me hope for my vx1000 with a tape deck that won't open. It hasn't been used since 2012 but that may change if I can find a cheap recording unit

Little Debbie

very sick that he got that working, and that it's not too cumbersome that you can actually film with it

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
And here's how it looks in use:

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
While that's super sick not sure how ideal using the FireWire port is. Mine used to be superrrrrr touchy before it blew. I'm sure it's replaceable though but seems like a lot to deal with. If I was using a Vx I would still rather use tape for the physical media. Isn't that part of the point anyway if u are still using a Vx?

Just read the above posts about tape decks not opening.  Didn't take that into account
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:31:20 PM by HateFV »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
sick that it works but bummer on mounting location--no light (unless in hand)
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
If I was using a Vx I would still rather use tape for the physical media. Isn't that part of the point anyway if u are still using a Vx?

No! nonono tapes are the worst part of using a VX are you serious
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Thomas

• no pop no style
Never had te tape deck issue, but I agree with the fact that the firewire port might blows up after some time...

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
That thing doesn't need an external power supply? Could've sworn I saw a listing on ebay that had one

rayis bisyir

• Rep: 0
Does anyone know how to fix a leaking vx1 lens? this is very fucked up :(
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5108/tjSgTH.png

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
u aint got your own vx to shoot photos of?
[close]

The best photo camera i have is an iPhone. Plus i'm not looking for photos of a vx sitting in a living room.
[close]
Bashed this out a few days ago doodling on the Wacom. You dig?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu-MbcMlfds/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=un3vhl3a9jiw

Dude, this sketch is the sickest!! New phone background.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
it's not strictly related to the vx but what render settings would you generally use for a canon xm1/gl1 - file format etc.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Expand Quote
If I was using a Vx I would still rather use tape for the physical media. Isn't that part of the point anyway if u are still using a Vx?

[close]

No! nonono tapes are the worst part of using a VX are you serious

Not sure if sarcastic (tapes are expensive, glitches suck and tape deck problems are annoying), but people used to praise the mini-DV format over SD cards and the likes for being a reliable way to keep everything you filmed archived on physical medium as opposed to just trusting intangible data, hard drives etc. I have to have hundreds of tapes stored around my place of almost everything I've filmed everywhere I've been throughout the past 15 years and I don't regret that one bit. The files corresponding to the capture of 95% of those tapes are long gone, but I could re-capture everything anytime. Also occasionally getting to import other people's tapes can be pretty funny, especially when it's really old shit. Pretty sure the format is also great for the culture, i.e.. being the reason why we get to see a lot of clean re-edits of classic footage and whatnot.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
Found a VX1000 in really good condition with fisheye, capture cam, FireWire, lighting port cable and 7 tapes for $900.

Just wondering if that’s a good deal/ good investment. My knee is wrecked for at least a year and looking for an outlet that’ll keep me out and skating(I’m still able to push).

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Found a VX1000 in really good condition with fisheye, capture cam, FireWire, lighting port cable and 7 tapes for $900.

Just wondering if that’s a good deal/ good investment. My knee is wrecked for at least a year and looking for an outlet that’ll keep me out and skating(I’m still able to push).

Do it. That’s a no brainer.

Chris

That’s what I thought.

Thanks.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
which fisheye?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal

If it's an MK1, that's a super good deal. If the lens is an Opteka or Raymod, it's an ok deal if the vx is fully functional

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
Expand Quote

[close]

If it's an MK1, that's a super good deal. If the lens is an Opteka or Raymod, it's an ok deal if the vx is fully functional
I usually grab my Japanese vx1s for like $300 on eBay and have Kerry fix them for like $150. Granted I know what to look for like fungus on the lens etc but fuck paying that much unless it's an mk1 with it

Chris

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I usually grab my Japanese vx1s for like $300 on eBay and have Kerry fix them for like $150. Granted I know what to look for like fungus on the lens etc but fuck paying that much unless it's an mk1 with it

It’s actually an Opteka.

Also this is $900 Canadian colored money which is like $100 american(actually $668)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:38:30 AM by Chris »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
which battery packs and how many? if it comes with
a one or two of new replica batteries i'd say go for it.

BigManTing

• Rep: 0
What import & export settings do y'all use with Premiere? All my footage is looking grainy as shit and I've had a tits full of it

Thomas

• no pop no style
What import & export settings do y'all use with Premiere? All my footage is looking grainy as shit and I've had a tits full of it

How grainy ? Maybe it comes from your shooting parameters ?

Garth Marenghi

If you film using digital gain (go past OPEN aperture with exposure) it will affect the end result, especially when exporting compressed footage. Adjusting levels/gamma/etc in post does the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:29:55 PM by Garth Marenghi »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s actually an Opteka.

Also this is $900 Canadian colored money which is like $100 american(actually $668)

Ehhh for an opteka not really worth 900$ Canadian.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s actually an Opteka.

[close]

Ehhh for an opteka not really worth 900$ Canadian.

Even with the Opteka I still think its worth it.
NTSC VX's are at least $500 now, so fisheye, cables, cap cam, and tapes for $160 ain't bad.
It's not some amazing deal by any means but if youre trying to get into filming that's everything you need (except bag) in a single bundle for an average price.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
Im having a random problem with my zoom right now. It worked normal until today when I was filming and the longlens zoom stopped working. It didnt zoom in or out at all and then I took the cassette and battery  Off and put them back and it helped. But when I turned the camera on next time it did the same again and now the zooming bar on the screen used to be bigger than it is now. Does anyone whats going on?  :o
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com